2019 Stash Management - Page 32
Page 32 of 175 FirstFirst ... 22293031323334354282132 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I usually don’t pin seams, especially little short seams like these, but I was definitely pinning some of these. Most of them went together fine, but there several that were decidedly non-compliant. The pieces are cut to shape with about a half inch seam allowance. I trim them narrower after they’re sewn, if I remember. I found one spot on a cotton one where about 1/4” isn’t overlapped, and one piece just abuts the other. I have no idea how that was even possible. I saw it after I had stitched the outside perimeter and was trimming that. No big deal. Do I hear “button”? Or bead cluster, or ribbon embroidery flower? It’s going to be easy to make mistakes like that disappear, and with the embellishment, the fabric is going nowhere, so it won’t matter.

Today I’ll finish the last blocks and then start on the house. Rule - I can’t start embroidery until the house is thoroughly cleaned and I finally get around to doing taxes. The cleaning will take time because I have to do it in small spurts. I’ll keep crocheting during the necessary breaks. I finished the scarf last night and have another in progress that I started some time ago. After that I want to make the baskets for my leftover yarn bits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One of the sites, called Nature's Flavors has some interesting flavors. I just bought the fruit flavors to add to water, tea, etc.

I wanted to add that my husband has started less soda and more water with a few drops of natural fruit flavor. It is better for him and cheaper too.

But what has caught my eye is that I can get natural flavor extracts in cheese, Parmesan cheese and Alfredo. These flavors are all labeled vegan. I think I have mentioned before that I am not able to eat dairy. I am thinking of giving these a try. I have tried various vegan cheese substitutes, but none of them are very good, IMO. Well there is a decent tasting vegan cream cheese substitute, but it has lots of chemicals and stuff.

I can speak for the quality of the cheese flavored extracts since I have not eaten them yet. But I will say I am very pleased with the quality of the fruit flavors.

But I think some of these could also be really good for someone restricting foods for health reasons. A bean dip with a few drops of cheese flavored extract might be pretty good.

There are some desert type flavors that seem like they have some good potential for lower calorie deserts.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't use pins or clips much either, but they sure come in handy at times.

Now the big wigs at Husby's work want him to stay part time. It sounds like the injured guy won't be back till at least 3/18. The higher ups were given notice Husby was leaving around 1/1, but they dragged their feet and didn't post his position till 2 days ago. Now they've figured out that with S not able to work and Husby leaving, there is no one to train a new person till S comes back and no one else in the entire state system to do the job those 2 do, which keeps the entire division running. But he's already filed all his paperwork which would be difficult if not impossible to change. The directors created this mess and now they want Husby to clean it up. He was talking about all the reasons he could give them for why he couldn't stay on. I told him to just tell them his bitch of a wife said he can't, and tell them his boss has spoken and it's no longer them. He started laughing and said he might. I said go right ahead on. 😁 His supervisor thinks they can hire someone Monday, which normally would take weeks. If so, Husby would have 2 days to train her, which normally takes 6 weeks. All this drama could have been avoided if they would have just posted his job in January.

It will be a relief when this is all over.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In the federal government, you are not allowed to post a job till someone actually leaves. It does not matter how much notice you give. It is not unusual to be tossed into a job with no training at all.

I wanted to post a picture showing what I mean with different shades in flower petals. See how there are lines of darker purple near the center. I coul do something like this two different purple threads. Well I could do something like this if I were more talented in embroidery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20181108_130447859_hdr_1552140785264.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I sort of worked one evening two or three weeks after I left the library. The position, nights and weekends, wasn’t easy to fill, and they were staffing evenings with two student workers, or one and a regular librarian who took (i.e. got stuck with) the evening shift. I had gone in to use their fast internet and my former supervisor was on for the evening and looked utterly done in. I told her I would be there until closing so if she wanted to leave I could help the student shut it down. She wasted no time skedaddling - lol.

I finished all the hexagons yesterday so they are ready to roll. I got the scarf in progress a little over half finished. I’ll finish that tonight and that’s the end of scarf making for a while. Today will be at least a superficial kitchen cleaning, putting away all the sewing stuff, and clearing work table. Tomorrow is tax day and I need it cleared off to work there. I will also start choosing what I want to use on the first hexagon.

Kathy, there’s a book that might interest you. You could probably get it through the library - Needle Painting Embroidery: Fresh Ideas for Beginners by Trish Burr. It has good instructions for the kind of shading you are talking about, and some sample patterns, flowers and a bird or two, with projects keyed to both Anchor and DMC floss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The usual routine for a position like Husby's is the person leaving gives 2 months notice and the job is posted immediately. The new person is found and then the person leaving has a few weeks to train her. There could be issues with Husby's pension if he works part time for a while. He's not willing to work this long for a good pension and then mess it up as he crosses the finish line. Not worth the risk, especially since everything is already in process. Hopefully S will be able to come back to work the 18th, which would leave them without an experienced person for only 5 days. The big issue is scheduling, and Husby has set that up so his supervisor, who shadowed him last week so he could learn the basics, will be able to handle that by just repeating what Husby did for a week or so. It's workable though not ideal. Husby also feels the new person is best trained by S, since she will be working with him and Husby and S get to the same goal, but use different methods. New person would have to relearn things Husby taught her anyway. All in all, he isn't comfortable staying after nearly 2 years of literally counting the minutes till he can leave, for a variety of reasons.

I'm still in camp food mode. I AFed 6 pounds of chicken, 3 seasoned and 3 not, and cut that up and FSed it all. That's now in the freezer and ready to go. It can be used for lots of things. I'm glad I did it now, because the pkgs are bigger than expected. Our freezer is very useful but very tiny. I think I will be able to put 3 pkgs in the freezer to use in week 3 of a trip. Three can be left frozen and put in the cooler. The way I pack coolers, they wouldn't even start to thaw for about 4 days, then would thaw slowly for use in week 2. I think it will work out well. A nice thing about the FS is that things in those bags can be in meltwater and stuff inside doesn't get soggy.

It makes me feel good to be finding tasty alternatives to salty deli meat.

I've been thinking it might make more sense to have a week 1 list for groceries and haul less stuff from home, so I've been planning accordingly. But if we have to do a big WM shop the first or second day which are always long driving days, I think it would make us both really grumpy. It would be a huge pain, too, because the camper would have to be set up in a parking lot to put stuff away, since the truck is always packed to the max including the coolers. Glad I figured out the folly of that plan before I actually tried it. Plan A of taking most week 1 food from home has worked well for years and no doubt saved us money, since we're stocking from food we bought on sale. Finding sales away from home is not reliable or worth the time it would take. If it ain't broke, why have I been trying to fix it. Duh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD what a mess.....I think sometimes they do that on purpose....not posting the job cause they think you won't leave....I gave six months notice.....they interviewed three women and all of them were so much smarter then me....they did not want the job....LOL...finally about three weeks before I left the boss came to me and told me he hired his wife.....my face must have shown how I felt cause he started explaining to me why he did this....and I just shook my head....he was a very difficult man to work for....problem was she couldn't come till the after I left....he then told me that I could take off whenever I wanted as long as my work was done....you can bet your bootie I packed up and said see you whenever.....I came in when I wanted...did my work and left....the day I left he did not show up at office.....his wife started working for him and two weeks later she called me and told me "I'm ready to walk out." Very difficult to work for indeed.....
    Sounds like you are going to have a great time....enjoy those camping trips.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I’ve had a kenmore machine and liked it. It was probably of about the same vintage.

I didn’t finish the hexagons and I take back what I said about the fancy fabrics not being as hard as I expected. I hit a group that gave me a lot of quality time with my seam ripper and some bits are still going to be quite “professionally textured.” One piece of velvet was determined to be rolling hills. Whatever. At that point I pulled out all the mixed fabric pieces and with rising exasperation worked through them. When I finished the last I was more than ready to quit. I have some left to do today but they are all cotton and bright cheerful colors. It will be a better day.

It will also be a warmer day. After the arctic chill we are going to hit 75 today. It’s not supposed to rain until tomorrow so I should be able to open up the house this afternoon. It will be very humid but at least the plants will like that.
    yes kenmore seems to be decent quality, we have had stoves etc from them. I just don't know why the reverse doesn't work, just a push button lever type on the front. but who knows last one to use it was ds who wouldn't wait for me to teach him and broke a couple of needles in the process. I wasn't home. I do have treadle machine and some other old vintage ones but not working

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, maybe your machine needs to be lubed.

We've owned a lot of Kenmore appliances appliances over the decades and generally been happy with them. That only added to the disappointment with the sewing machine. I do think Kenmore and Craftsman aren't the brands they used to be though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I mostly accomplished yesterday’s goals. The kitchen has clean surfaces, clean dishes, and clear enough tables. The floor is another story but I’ll take care of that today. I didn’t get the work table cleared but that won’t take long. It’s mostly sewing stuff to go back on the sewing cart.

I finished the scarf so that project is retired for a while. I got a start on my yarn basket for my yarn bits. I finished the bottom and got about four rows up the side. These will be taller and I would like to have about three of them. For this one I’m using 2 strands of RH banana berry and 1 of macaw. I had planned make an afghan with that yarn but lost interest in the project and never made it.

Today I will continue working on that, finally do my taxes, and start choosing threadcand embellishments for the first hexagon, a black one. It has a spider web in the center patch. I’ll use either a light gray or something with s little shine for that. It’s plain in the model, but if I go with a shiny thread I might add a few size 15 crystal beads. It uses a piece of couched trim, but I will have to see what trims I have. I may need to do something different. It will also be my first attempt at ribbon embroidery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you've been busy, D.

We tried 3 dessert and snack recipes today, all made in the microwave. All were successful. There's one more recipe I want to try in the micro, and after that I plan to start working on menus for a three week trip. It's so much easier to do a detailed menu with detailed grocery lists than to just buy stuff willy nilly or try to figure it out when we're gone. I already have a detailed packing list I've used for years, but it needs updating with our dietary changes. Still, that's a good start. I got a big stack of cookbooks put away and the little ones with the recipes I'll actually use organized, so slowly the chaos is being tamed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Martha, maybe your machine needs to be lubed.

We've owned a lot of Kenmore appliances appliances over the decades and generally been happy with them. That only added to the disappointment with the sewing machine. I do think Kenmore and Craftsman aren't the brands they used to be though.
    could be but have to find the oil etc. I don't think many brands are the same anymore. my machine is about 20yrs old. got it at sears outlet. miss those places but of course sears is gone too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another day gone that did not go as planned. Not much of a surprise. I woke up with a bad cough and felt worse as the day progressed. I did a little, but spent most of the day and evening doing nothing in particular because I just wasn’t up to it. With luck tomorrow will be better. I did get att the sewing stuff put away so that’s a tiny bit of progress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sigh. Turns out the phone lines for my building got screwed up during the residing end of last year. The workers basically just slapped the new siding over the old and either buried the lines as they went along or possibly cut them. So nothing can be done to fix my house line until that gets addressed. And the tech told me I can put my account on hold so I don't have to pay while this is happening, seeing as I'm not getting service.

The main reason I still have a house line is that I use it for voice mail. I can't remember the pin number for my flip phone voice mail and I really don't want to upgrade to a "smart" phone when all I want is voicemail and text. Although it does look like Verizon has basic flip phones. Yay!

I finally finished the p/g afgan over the weekend. I'll send that to my Dad to give to the nurse I made it for. I also have an afgan for him too. If he doesn't want it, he can pass it on to my sister/b-i-l. It's in their university colors.

Started work on the wool-blend afgan I'm making for myself. I will likely bounce between that WIP and others since I know the w-b afgan will take a while due to fingering weight I'm using.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's a pain not to have phone service. I hope they can correct it soon.

I caught the plow guy this AM and asked him to drag some of the snow away from the camper. He said he would. I can't see a difference, but maybe he got some of it. It's entirely possible he just couldn't get close enough at the right angle, since the camper is in a bad spot. So we will probably have to shovel it out again this year. Oh, well, better that than damaging something. Once thawing sets in, we can do it a little at a time if we want. I think the plow did move some of the plowed-up stuff that's accumulated over winter. That will help a lot since that's the hard packed stuff that's so hard to shovel. I haven't actually walked down our slippery hill to look at the details.

I decided I will give up the Crockpot that's in the camper, but I really want the toaster oven. There are so many things we could make if we had an oven, even stuff like frozen pizza. We shouldn't eat it but some days when we're just exhausted and don't want to cook or clean up, it would be handy and cheap to just pick one up and bake it. We can fit a frozen pizza in that oven if we break it in half and put half on each rack. We did that for years when we had that oven in the house. I was going to pull the oven out too, but I think it's worth trying it for a season to see if we make use of it. We like stuff like Bisquick Impossibly Easy Pies which make quick, convenient meals and being able to make those would be great when we don't want to drag out all the stuff to make them in DOs.

I was given a very expensive Coleman camp grill/stove with a carry case and optional griddle. I haven't utilized that like I should, either. I'm hoping with retirement, we will be able to take more leisurely trips that allow more time for cooking outside. I've always liked doing that. I have folding tables galore that we could use as stove tables and/or oven tables, so we would have a good spot to set small appliances if we didn't want to use the picnic table. We also bought a hose and hardware so we can run our propane appliances off our trailer's tanks, to avoid buying those expensive little one-pound cylinders. We have no excuses not to be making use of all our toys.

I'm making finishing one or both of the AARs (Add A Rooms) for the camper a priority this year, too. The one closest to being done is this one:

I can't finish it till we can haul the trailer down and set it up on the old motorhome parking pad by the road, because the ground where we park the trailer slopes away from the camper door and I can't tell if the roof section is long enough or not. As you can see, the front of the AAR is off the ground, and until it's sitting on a level space I don't know if it's the AAR or the ground that's the problem. I'm hoping it won't take long to finish this off, although I know from experience how dang long it takes to build the skirt that goes behind the camper steps to close off the fourth wall.

The other AAR isn't even started yet, technically, but I'm hoping that won't be a ton of work either. I think this style would be the one we would use the most, especially in summer.

It's built on an EZ Up style canopy frame. I have a garden gazebo tent I bought that had its structure destroyed by wind right after the previous owners bought it. It's like new except for a small hole or two where broken poles went through it. I got it for $5. I will have to remake one of the roof panels so it will attach to the camper roof, which, unlike the Chalet in the picture is ten feet high at the peak. It will be interesting. I bought the fabric for this project a few years ago, along with the canopy, so should have almost if not all the stuff I will need to build it. At least I don't have to build everything from scratch with either of these, like I've done in the past. It's amazing how long it takes to build fabric walls. But then, I can never do anything halfway so my last AAR build had screen walls, plus clear walls and privacy panels, too. Not to mention all the other custom details which I sorely miss and will not be able to duplicate with this camper. At any rate, EZ Ups are called that for a reason, and I think this room would set up faster than the other one. But then again, we have two dogs now and the AAR at the top is much bigger than the EZ Up. I'll figure it out once I can set stuff up and see how things will actually work out.

Retirement is a go as planned! Husby spoke to his supervisor this AM, after we dithered about this all weekend. Supervisor is okay with him leaving. He's a good guy and neither of us wanted Husby to leave him in a lurch. He appreciated that Husby was setting things up so supe can take over temporarily till S comes back. Husby called me back a few minutes later to say someone local has been selected to replace him. Supe was just going into a teleconference to offer her the job. She's probably sitting in Husby's cube already being trained. Husby knows her and thinks she will be a good pick who will learn fast and be able to handle the basics till S returns to train her more thoroughly. You know that saying, most of the stuff we worry about never comes to pass anyway. Husby was practically giddy, knowing he's almost to the goal. Still surreal, thinking about him not going to work every day anymore. We may have to postpone our trip to Duluth Thursday due to weather, and Husby seemed disappointed about that till I reminded him we'll be able to go wherever, whenever now that he will not have to worry about what day it is. He actually giggled at the thought.