2019 Stash Management - Page 34
Page 34 of 194 FirstFirst ... 24313233343536374484134 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, I think the midwest is a lot cheaper in general. And it has a lot to offer in so many ways. A lot of the coastal types don't seem to understand that. Some think we're just a bunch of ignorant bumpkins. Don't get me started.

Husby got the van stuck halfway up the hill. Don't know if he will get it back down or not. It warmed up today so the driveway is nice and greasy. He's not sure if he can get the truck out in the morning if he can't get the van moved, so I hope he can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There is kind of a stereotyping by those of us who live in the big east coast cities. I think it is more of a stereotype of the cities rather than the people. In general the size of the cities cities is vastly underrated. Well most of us know that Chicago is a big city. And possibly Detroit. It used to be a major city, you hear a lot about huge numbers of people leaving the city. But there is a kind of general perception of small towns and farms with occasional mid sized cities. Honestly, I would not have guessed Omaha, Nebraska was a big as it is. I once thought of Nebraska as being just farms and small towns.

Also vastly underrated are things like the amount of attractions in cities, diversity of restaurants, local festivals, places to hear live music, etc. The generally attitude toward cities in the Midwest is "boring, nothing to do, in the middle of nowhere." A little research has shown that the first two are untrue. And many of these cities are one to three hours away from other cities. So an easy day trip or weekend trip to visit other places. Of course that requires that you acknowledge other Midwest cities as places you would want to go.

Traffic tends to be bad here, so the mental estimates of how long it takes to get places is different here.

I have actually been poking around at intercity bus lines around the cities I am considering. That is bus routes to other cities in the same state and bus routes to cities in nearby states. (I may have mentioned before, my husband and I don't drive.) It seem like it might be something enjoyable and reasonably affordable. The seats seem to be much larger than what you have on airplanes and you do not have to go through airport security.

I am a fan of train travel, but it usually involves stairs. And there is often an open gap between the train and platform which makes the stairs trickier. I do not have an issue with that, but my husband does. In contrast the big intercity bus lines bill themselves as accessible.

Weather is something to take into consideration. Anyplace in the Midwest would have colder winters than what we are used to. But in retirement have the option of staying in when it is bad out. Mostly likely when we go out in winter it would be for a couple hours during the warmest part of the day. Right now I have to go out in the coldest part of the day to get to work in the morning. So that can counteract things a bit. How cold is too cold is something I have not yet decided on. I think the specific circumstance can factor in. For example, how long would I have to be out in the cold to get to places I want to go? How many of the attractions/events are indoors?
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, also check out the frequency of severe weather, especially tornados. As you know the mid west can be in the bullseye. Also it may seem extreme but you might want to try to find the prognosis for climate change in coming decades. I know almost nothing about the projections for the mid west but some areas of the country are likely to be in a world of hurt. Of course they are just projections and subject to change, but it’s something I would want to explore if I were looking for a place to move.

I got the vaccination and I am beyond happy for that to no longer be something I have to remember. My arm is not as sore - yet - but it would still be quite uncomfortable to use for much of anything. That’s a small price to pay because shingles would hurt a whole lot more. Tylenol is keeping the feverishness at bay. I picked up some OTC meds. I don’t often have the hay fever sort - it always gallops straight into chest congestion. I’m just taking it easy and drinking lots of hot tea. I’ll be better when the trees get past their breeding orgy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As far as I can figure out from climate change given that predictions are all over the place. It might not be good to get a place on the coast, but rivers and lakes will be okay. The exception would be rivers that are near the ocean. For example, the New Orleans area. Weather is getting more erratic all over. That would happen where ever I live. Overall it is getting warmer, even though it does not always feel like it because the erratic weather means more cold snaps and worse winter storms. Climate change can cause more rain, but it can also cause more drought.

As far as the gradual warming. It looks to be only a few more degrees warmer during my lifetime. Really a few degrees is not really that noticeable. The exception is when it is right on the freezing line. It matters if you have rain or snow. It matters if you have puddles or ice. But moving to a colder area, a few degrees warmer would not be unwelcome.

Overall, I think climate change would nudge it more toward the Midwest and away from the South. It makes me hesitate over moving to otherwise nice places like Savannah, Georgia.

Many prediction are about what will happen in 100 years. And I also wonder how much I should care about what happens in 100 years. It is not like I don't care about future generations. It is just that what a place will be like in 100 years does not effect whether I want to live there. Unless there are massive breakthroughs in longevity research it is unlikely I will be alive in 100 years. I am 50 now. I figure 50 more years would be on the optimistic side.

And my son and DIL will not be having kids, so I am not going to play the how much will my home be worth to future generations game.

We would probably be more affected by how a city can change during that period. But that is a bit harder to predict.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A mean temp increase of only a few degrees can devastate things like crops and lead to worldwide famine, or kill the ocean currents, causing massive kills of wildlife including food fish.

Omaha is on the north end of Tornado Alley. Prairie storms can be very dangerous and intense.

We've been getting the newspaper from GR for a couple years now. A local paper gets you all kinds of info you can't get elsewhere easily, like community events, various club meetings, political discussions on the editorial pages, church info, weather, everything happening in the community, if the local hospitals are expanding, if the city is financially healthy and well run, what the arts community has to offer, if there are adult ed classes you can take, if there are craft groups you can join, etc. Realtor.com is a good resource to find out what type of housing is available and prices.

If you visit a city, you can set up an appointment to look at a few houses. That's the best way to get an idea what's available at certain price points. If there's nothing suitable, it might help make a decision about moving there at all.

Husby got the van stuck on the hill again. Luckily it was less of a problem getting it back down by the road, where it will stay till the driveway thaws out.

His coworkers gave him a quilt kit for a table runner, and said they expect to see progress when he goes back to work May 1. Pressure's on now! I will have to put my 990 away so there's a place for his machine.

I shoveled 2 feet of snow off the deck while Husby went up to shovel the roof. Hope he won't have to go back up to chisel off ice. We're watching to see. It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, so that might make it better or worse.

Husby dug the roll up table out of the camper, so now I can make a skirt for it. Otherwise I'm afraid the dogs would walk under it and wrap a leash around it and dump a hot stove or grill on themselves. The shower curtain I want to make over for the skirt should work out nicely and since it's lightweight nylon, I'm hopeful it will fold down small enough to fit in the bag the table stores in.

He also brought in the little gas grill. It's NIB. I was thinking about a carry bag for it, but decided a large plastic bag will work better. Then when it gets all greasy and nasty, I can toss it and use a new one.

He brought me one of the 2 wire freezer baskets from the camper pantry, too. Now I know how big to make the covers I've been meaning to make for the baskets for 6 years. I decided to use the pattern I bought recently for a mug rug quilt block. It's an applique of an A-frame camper just like ours. I think I will only need one of the Aliner blocks per basket. It should be a fun project, but I'm not sure when I will get to it. It's not a high priority.

Husby's supervisor told him if Husby decided to do a "phased retirement" to call him. Supe doesn't want him to leave, and it seems to be sinking in that he is. Husby is relieved to be done. Big changes are coming and there are going to be a lot of upset people throughout the division. Husby wants no part of it.

He loves his new tee shirts. One says " I have a retirement plan. I plan to go camping" and the other says "Retired 2019. It's not my problem anymore." Both have camping scenes on them. He hung them up in his cube today and got a lot of laughs.

So that part's all over. Now on to the next chapter, whatever that might be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the table skirt cut. There's enough fabric in the shower curtain to go around it 1.5 times, so I'm debating if I want to put a zipper in it or just overlap it. I'm afraid if I overlap it they would still walk under it and get tangled. I guess the fastest, easiest way to construct it as well as use it would be to just put elastic around the top so it will just slip over the table. I don't plan to set things under the table although that could change, but if I did I could just pull the curtain up. I think the elastic is a plan. This should be a very quick little project.

The carry bag got damaged somehow, so I have to repair that. It will be good to get that table ready to use. It will be a nice size for our purpose.p

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have peaked at few real estate prices. But prices and availability can change a lot in 8 years. In theory I could see buying a place maybe a year before we wanted to move in, but not this far out. Our plan is to have enough money saved up for a deposit that we could buy a place before we sell our condo. We want to do new paint and carpet before we sell and that is much easier to do after we move out. Plus getting new carpet while you still have cats is maybe not the best decision.

I also wanted to add that I do realize farmers are messed up be temperature change. I do not have a farm or garden, but I work at the department of agriculture so I know a little about agriculture. I did not intend to be callous to their plight. I only meant that, for example, if I am enjoying a walk outside it does not matter to much to me whether it is 65 or 68.

--------------

I want to change gears now and get back to talking about crafts. I have notice that stylistically what I like has change over the years. When I was in junior high and high school, there was a lot of rainbow and unicorn themed stuff. There were also pictures of unicorns with rainbow colored manes and tails. Does anyone remember the Lisa Frank line of stickers and notebooks? I was very into it at the time. I did not craft back then, but I had notebooks, folders, posters, etc. At some point in my adult years I decided that all that was overly sweet and kind of lame. And now that I am looking at pictures/free from embroidery I start thinking....Maybe I will do a sampler in rainbow colors, this unicorn pattern looks nice, ooh here is a picture of a unicorn with a pastel rainbow mane that looks fun to embroidery. I don't even have the "new grandmother" excuse. (My son and DIL do not plan on having children.) A second childhood? 50 going on 15? The least edgy midlife crisis ever?

It occurs to me that I can use the same thread for different projects even if my style changes. Well kind of, I might get a bunch of thread and then think, why did I not get neutrals or subdued colors.

I funny aside on style. Early this week someone walked past me while I was waiting for the metro and said "style police." I suppose this was meant as some kind of insult of my clothing. I had probably broken some obscure fashion rule like "stripes do not go with novelty prints of blueberries." I did feel like saying "I am not trying to be in fashion. This is a deliberate act of non-conformity. Thank you for noticing." But it was too late. She had passed me and moved into the crowd.

Aside from being drawn to a more "childish" style of embroidery, I feel sometimes like I was born an old lady. I am just coming into my own now. I like sewing, crochet, jigsaw puzzles, walks in the park, a nice cup or tea. The jigsaw puzzles are new, but the rest of the old lady stereotype has always been there. I am a real "born to be mild" type. I have had more than one New Age type tell me I had an "old soul." My interest in history and historical things was also a factor in the "old soul" pronouncement.

I think maybe I get slightly less teasing for my interests now that they match up with my age. I still look pretty young for my age though. So it is still not a good match up yet. I have some minimal wrinkles, but over all I have a young face. (I would not pass for a young lady, but I think I probably look more like 40 than 50.) I got my first gray hair maybe 5 or 10 years ago. I decided to go gray naturally. I think I might be up to almost 20 gray hairs now. My hair is a mix of medium and light brown so they do not stand out much. If you are standing real close and the light is good you might notice. I was going to do a picture, but you can't tell at all from the picture. I feel like my hands look kind of old though because the veins are pretty noticeable.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The wool-blend afgan is coming along, although a lot more slowly than anything else I've ever done. I've noticed how the different skeins of yarn I've picked up for it are different, despite being the same color scheme. Comes from being hand dyes in small batches. The skein I'm working seems to have a bit more red/orange/purple in it than the other skeins I've used so far. It's not a problem, just interesting.

I'll probably alternate between the w/b afgan and stashbuster/rag-bag afgans to keep from getting bored. It's just that I'm using fingering weight yarn on the w/b afgan and the others are worsted weight and go faster.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, that was a rude stranger. Who cares what someone else is wearing? It's not their business.

I got the table skirt done and put it around the table. Storm immediately shoved his head under it. Still have to fix the bag.

I got the new gas grill put together, too. We will have to try it out before we take it anywhere, in case there's a problem with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot the pic. Not that it's anything special.
    2019 Stash Management-20190314_113630_1552584980386.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love it SD.....fancy.....when's the next camping trip planned????
    Congrats to your husband on his retirement....
    You all make me feel so lazy.....all doing your projects....and me, I consider myself lucky if I get up and fix dinner everyday....having a hard time with no energy.....hopefully this too shall pass and I'll feel better next week....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it looks great spiritdeer. I would never of thought to make a add a room on the tent trailer. kathyb I agree be yourself. lots of people are the same puzzles books etc. you may give it up for a while with kids but then that is the joy of getting older back to things like puzzles. they are more popular then people think. libraries here started putting out a jigsaw puzzle out for anyone to do so you can go put a couple pieces in when you are there. when it is done they put out another. saw that at the senior centre too.

haven't done much crafting this week but almost finished the cowl. because I got so many emails and was in the area stopped at fabricland for the sales. got a really marked down red big checked duvet set twin for ds. kinda rustic but think he will like it $20 instead of $20 there was matching curtains. plus a marked down embroidered pillow cover $4 ... lots of fabric on sale but fell for this embroidered seersucker ..it is very wide too with the embroidery on the bottom so will make a nice dress long enough. for summer too. not a great picture. also gutterman thread was on special for bogo. got 3 metres but may go back for more if dd likes it. 9.60 a meter. 2019 Stash Management-fabric.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DS,

That table skirt turned out good. It really goes well with the table and patio.

Bookworm,

I hope you feel better soon.

Martha,

That looks like it would make a nice summer dress or skirt. I like embroidering, but it is fun to find things already embroidered.

I like the idea of jigsaw puzzles at libraries. My grandmother's apartment complex used to always have a jigsaw puzzle set up in the common room. It was an apartment complex set aside for senior citizens, but not an assisted living place. My mother's nursing home has puzzles around, but I have never seen anyone work on them.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, everyone. The skirt is made from a nylon shower curtain. It's supposed to keep the dogs from walking under it, but I'm not sure it will work. We use this table sometimes on the road side of the camper. We have an outside shower there and it works well for washing dishes if we have dirty Dutch ovens or other big dishes. The table is lightweight so it's easy to move to the door side if we want to use it for a stove or grill, and since we already carry it in the trailer, we don't have to add anything more but the skirt.

Our first trip this year will probably be an overnighter to Grand Rapids sometime next month, depending on weather and what campgrounds are open and some other things. If we're rolling on finally getting the garage ceiling installed, all bets are off though because that's such a high priority.

Husby just handed me a boot Shadow chewed up. I should be able to fix it. It's in good shape except for that, so since it doesn't have to look pretty and good boots are expensive, it doesn't make sense to buy a new pair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got the boot fixed. It went a lot better than expected, and actually looks fairly decent. Those are nice boots that he likes and are otherwise in good shape, so I'm happy I could fix it. I think a new pair would be at least $40. I'd rather use the money for camping.