2019 Stash Management - Page 36
Page 36 of 194 FirstFirst ... 26333435363738394686136 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate dealing with the 'for now' stuff. It's the worst to deal with because if it was easy, it wouldn't have ended up in the 'for now' boxes.

I got eight baby pockets sewed. Four of them are done. The other four just need the ribbon ties and little bows, for which I will buy the ribbon tomorrow when we go to Duluth. I have four pockets left to do and then I'm quitting for summer, most likely. I will have about thirty pockets and about the same for gowns, I think, so enough to ask in GR if they want some and also check with Spearfish to see if they need more. I hate to ask in Duluth because that's the regional hospital and I don't know that I would be able to keep up. I have no idea how many people lose babies each year there, but from what I've learned lately, miscarriages are way more common than I ever thought. The high risk pregnancies probably end up there too, which probably raises the number of gowns they would need. I'm glad I have this many gowns and pockets ready now. It's taken me way longer than I expected, but I've learned some tricks to speed things up and will do better next winter.

I looked at that giant train that came with the giant gown I got in Rapid City last time we were there, and it still has all the beads and sequins on it. I removed most of that from previous gowns. It will be a whole new adventure learning to sew these gowns with all the pearls and beads still attached.

Not much happening around here. Still watching the snow melt. The tops of the gas tanks on the trailer hitch are starting to appear out of the snow, so pretty soon maybe we can go out and shovel to help get the camper out sooner. Husby finally got the van up the hill today. Progress!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My embroidery in progress so far.

More words late.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190318_192951469_1552951956609.jpg

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looking good, Kathy. What do you plan for it when it's done? I like how cheerful it is.

We're off to Duluth in a few minutes. Husby has to meet with someone about his pension and get that started. We plan on Hibbing later this week for another appt. Then I think we're done for a while. We both need to do some medical appts we've let slide, but I'm hoping that can be done locally.

Today is mostly about thrifts. Hope I find some good stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have not decided what to do with it yet. I will probably sew another piece of felt to the back and tack it up in my cubicle. It is kind of an experimental piece and looks pretty beginner-ish. But right now it is kind of a learning experience. It is also about learning what I like and what I do not like.

I have decided that variegated works okay for lines, but not as good for fill.

On urban threads they have a lot of designs that don't do fill stitches. Instead of solid fill there is a bunch of lines and decorative swirls. I think I may try some of that with some of my variegated yarn. I think I enjoy outline stitches better than fill stitches so I may wind up doing mostly that kind.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like it Kathy..pretty. I think there is all types of embroidery place for everything.. I usually prefer simpler pieces like yours then fancy big flower pieces.

those caron cakes came out a couple of years ago as a 100 yr celebration for caron and were so popular they kept coming out with more colours but you didn't know if it would stay so had to buy what you wanted.(lots on the fb group about it lol) got me back into crocheting. so between that and stress ..I have a lot. then everyone copied them so lots of them in the market and new styles etc coming out all the time. lion brand had mandala..so yes I have a stash lol those ones are colours getting rid of. since they are popular now they are a reg thing product at michaels etc. just wish I could crochet faster. but don't think these will be around for years so stocked up for retirement. my excuse lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Martha - I think itís a good idea to stock up for retirement. Of course, I am also a terrible enabler. I really stocked up on yarn before retirement because that and cross stitch were my major hobbies. Now that Iím branching out into new things, I probably have too much. However at the time I was on a crochet forum and had the testimony of members there that if they had not had a large stash they would no longer be crocheting, given that the price of yarn kept going up and they were then on fixed retirement incomes. That made sense to me, so I laid in a large stash of many retirement entertainments, shopping sales and current prices while I still had a paycheck. I have kept adding but I could cut that off cold turkey, never buy another thing, and pass a happy and busy retirement with what I have.

I finished the second tall basket last night and started another basket. How tall it gets depends on how far the yarn goes. I worked through the ďfor nowĒ boxes except all the bits and bobs of embellishments and threads. When I finish this Iím going to start pulling out materials for the hexagons and I can put all that away while I have the embellishment/thread containers out. Iíve decided the most efficient way to do this is to choose materials for four or five projects, then put all that away at once when Iím choosing what I want for the next set. That way Iím not perpetually pulling out endless containers.

I took a photo of the tall baskets but my internet speed is creaky. Iíll upload it late tonight when itís runnning at a sensible speed. Itís my fault. When I was sick last week I just sat watching so much YouTube that the company finally slowed down loading time, which I fully expected. It will reset sometime around the weekend. Meanwhile Iím up really late anyway so itís more a nuisance than a problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have looked at the Caron cakes. It looks to me that they are three balls of yarn in one big ball. It seems like you could get the same effect with three different balls. The only difference would be the two joins for the three balls. Or maybe I am missing something. I have to admit the big multi colored balls look pretty attractive though.

I have not done too much crochet recently, but it seems like $5 of the less expensive brands of yarn can keep me going for a month. [I find Red Heart super saver to be a little itchy, but there are lots of *affordable* balls of yarn I use.] Of course I am probably the world's pokiest crocheter. Well that and I work full time so, I don't get much time to crochet. And lately that has been on hold because I have been embroidering. So a stash of retirement yarn is not something I really need to do.

I think my retirement income will be better than most people though. It will be less than my current earning, but after paying off debts and finishing the mortgage, the standard of living will probably be about the same. I am a little flexible. My goal is to living in walking distance of attraction, but I think I could settle for a short bus ride. I realize that the whole walking distance thing is a reaction to my current situation. To get from my current condo to where the good stuff is downtown takes about an hour. So I really want to be in a situation where stuff is easy/easier to get to.

I could probably swing something that would shave a few minutes of my commute. I am not sure I want to spend a lot of money for that. Not to go from a long commute to a slightly less long, but still long commute. A short commute is still out of my price range for the DC area. I think I would rather save the money and put it toward retirement.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate shopping. Today was a 12 hour sojourn, 4 hours drive time, 1.5 hrs meeting with the retirement guy, and the rest driving around Duluth from place to place or shopping. We found a few things, nothing too exciting.

One of my goals was to find a wedding gown. My budget was $30, but if it was perfect, I'd go to forty. I was also hoping to find some other colors of gowns. We got to the big regional GW which was a big disappointment, mostly. I did find a very pretty wedding gown marked $30, but it was half price. SCORE! I'm really happy with it. There was also a mostly plain baby blue gown, NWT, with a large gored skirt marked $20, also half price, so I grabbed that too. It will be a perfect color for boys, and the fact it's plain is a plus. We picked up a few little things besides, and went to pay, where we were informed we look old enough to qualify for the wrinkly discount of 20% off everything. SCORE AGAIN! I got both for $20, well under my goal for the wedding gown alone.

We hit another GW where I found a NIP bed and bath lockset in the color and style of the one that broke last week. It had the original price sticker for $8.50, but GW marked it $4, minus 20%. GIMME! Found a masher for the camper for .80 and a few other small things.

Next we hit Savers and weren't finding anything except an FQ with little princess crowns on it, marked .69. It will be cute to trim some little gowns. We were about to leave when I decided to check out the far back corner of the store. First I spotted a Sterilite under bed tote marked $3. OH, YEA! I poked around some more and found a Rubbermaid under bed storage tote with 2 shallow trays for $4. I grabbed that, too, and we went to check out, where we were told again we looked old enough for the wrinkly discount, which was 30%. Excellent! I can't find the Rubbermaid tote online, so don't know what it would cost retail. The Sterilite is $22 online at WM, which seems outrageous. We bought 2 just like it in Spearfish 3 years ago and I know we paid less than $10 each at WM. But we , quite a savings. The two totes and the lockset were all on the list for WM and Menards, so by getting them so much cheaper, the savings paid for our gas today. That worked out nicely. The totes need to be washed but they will clean up easily and look new, so I don't mind. I was tickled to find them, and I will be well paid for the little bit of time it takes to wash them. I wanted them for storage under the guest bed.

We hit the 3rd GW on our way out of town where I found a couple pieces of fabric. I also found a very full floor length skirt in a bluish lavenderish color that will also work for boys. It was marked $7, but was 20% off. Third score!

At the 4th GW, I found 2 cones of serger thread for $1.20, a mere pittance.

We were planning to go to Hibbing later this week, but the truck brakes are acting up. We will most likely wait to go till those are fixed.

All in all, a good day. JA was a disappointment, but I'm sort of getting used to it now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just finished pulling stuff for the first five hexagons. The first, the black one will need some switching but Iíll do that tomorrow. I chose thread first, but as I pulled out trims and such, they drifted pretty far from the thread so Iíll need to change that. Anyway, finally ready to go on that long deferred project.

Here are the tall baskets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-f0eb5148-bb17-4c93-be5a-1e8ad7f0b0cb.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love the baskets, dc, especially the purple one.

Finished off skein #4 (not sure it's actually #4 but I'll go from there) on my w/b afgan. Started skein #5. Definitely past my knees now. Yay. This afgan is going to take a long time but at least it's coming along. I may alternate between working on this one and a couple of other WIP to keep from getting frustrated on how long this one's taking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D, your baskets look handy and decorative at the same time, which is my favorite combination.

Sounds like you're making good progress, Ren.

I took some pics of the baby stuff I bought yesterday. The wedding gown is even nicer than I thought. It's going to be fun to make little gowns from it, and the skirt is HUGE. I should get lots of gowns from it.
    2019 Stash Management-20190320_101921_1553099464699.jpg

Back detail.
    2019 Stash Management-20190320_102120_1553099554445.jpg

This is the blue gown. I should get lots of gowns and pockets from it, too. Love the color.
    2019 Stash Management-20190320_102420_1553099723301.jpg

Here's the bluish purpley skirt. The panels don't have many seams, so that will help me get more out of it. I love this color too.2019 Stash Management-20190320_102834_1553099976561.jpg

Now I can take the crinoline out of the wedding gown and get stuff washed so it can be packed away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish wedding gowns photographed better. This gown is so pretty. There's a lot of beading but it's understated. The entire top is completely beaded though. Here's a picture of the skirt and hem detail, which still doesn't do the gown justice.
    2019 Stash Management-20190320_114623_1553100656092.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those are some good deals you got on the gowns. It sounds like you’re about ready for that project next winter.

I have actually started on a hexagon! Not much so far - just a spiderweb in the center block with silver metallic thread. Since then I’ve basically been looking at it and messing about with what I pulled to put on it. I will use the stitches and techniques suggested, but not in the same way. The next step will be the seam embellishments, some embroidered, some trims. I pulled out a piece of lace that I only have 8-9” of. I don’t remember where it came from. I’ve been trying to see if I can work that in, but I haven’t decided yet. It’s curved so won’t work for a seam. I guess I need to get the seams done and then decide.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you're finally getting to play with the new toys, D.

I got the gowns and skirt washed up and hung to dry. Then I can start deconstructing them, maybe tomorrow.

I also tore apart a pair of scrubs pants I bought because they're a patriotic print of US flags. Don't know what I will do with those yet but they'll be added to the small collection of patriotic fabric I have. The pants were a large size and made with no side seams, so the pieces are a good size.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow good scores spirit deer! never that cheap here. kathyb and dcompton ..yes cakes are something you have to like. I don't like picking out colours to go together. caron cakes have about 5 colours in them and mandala 7. mandalas missing colours are called mandalcorns lol sometimes you see ones missing a colour and love them. and you have to like 3 weight yarn w mandala. I don't like bulky yarn so it works for me. there was a lot of stress buying the first year. I told dh if I passed away suddenly he can sell it to pay for the funeral. here are a few things I made as gifts. 2019 Stash Management-8pt.jpg2019 Stash Management-jacket.jpg2019 Stash Management-retro.jpg2019 Stash Management-ronanblanket.jpg