2019 Stash Management - Page 37
Page 37 of 194 FirstFirst ... 27343536373839404787137 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this is the cowl I made from a bernat xmas yarn I got on clearance. don't like the bernat much but on sale and for the gift stash. 2019 Stash Management-bernet-cowl.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful gowns SD....you sure did score.....

I cleared two totes from garage today....most of the contents will go to the garage sale on Saturday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful work, Martha.

I got the gowns deconstructed. Just have the skirt left.

Our mechanic called with the bad news the truck brakes need major work. He didn't give an estimate but we'll be happy if it's under $1,000. The good news is it should be done today.

Took Shadow in for a claw clipping. Luckily that's still only $10. She was a hit with the staff. She's a friendly girl and of course they're all pet lovers at the vet clinic. Her claws are so hard to clip and she won't cooperate with us, so it's worth it to have someone else do it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It’s probably better to let someone else clip the nails so she isn’t miffed at you for paw abuse - lol.

Nice cowl M. It’s an interesting color combination.

I got more done on the hexagon yesterday, but slowly and with mixed success. I’ve decided to take out most of what I did and start again. Some time ago I had started working through the stitch guide in Judith Montano’s Free Form Embroidery. I looked at it again this morning and like it better than the actual hexagon book, so I’m going to work with that one. I’ve also taken out her book on ribbon embroidery. I don’t remember much about it but want to look at that too. I’m in town right now for an appointment but want to get that started again when I get home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our cats hate getting their nails trimmed. But the also hate going to the vet. So trimming them on our own is less hassle. Of course I am stronger than a cat. I do not think I could deal with a big dog that is stronger than me.

I got in some wool felt blend I ordered. I have decided I prefer embroidery on felt to regular fabric. I have a bunch of the cheap acrylic felt. But I decided that if I am spending a lot of time on each piece I wanted to go for a little nicer felt.

The black and white sheets are 18 by 11. It was $1.15 for 9 by 11 and $1.85 for 18 by 11. So it is cheaper to get a big sheet and cut it in half than to get two small sheets. One of the black is actually Navy blue. It is hard to tell in person too. The white is also different shades of white and off white. Not actually much difference in real life either. I wanted to try some light thread on dark fabric.

The blue is from a grab bag. Odd sized cuts sold by total weight. The little packs were sample pack of colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190323_081205745_1553347862104.jpg

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2019 Stash Management-add85cc7-358b-4185-a671-4cf92fc25b84.jpg

When I did a lot of embroidery decades ago I always worked on felt. Itís a great base for embroidery. When I was stash building (notice the past tense - hahahaha) I got some in a variety of colors. It will be fun to work on that - someday. For now I will keep working through the hexagons while I try out stitches and practice. Contemporary samplers?

Here is the progress so far on the black hexagon. It would be easier if there was less area to fill. I foresee lots of buttons and lace. Only basic stitches on these first ones. This was the first time Iíve used ribbon. It clearly needs some practice. I guess itís not bad for a first ever attempt but it may take a bit to get a feel for the tension. That shriveled leaf in the middle of one group is pathetic. Iím blaming it on climate change. I donít like the couched perle thread by the spider but decided to leave it. After all these are experiments and not all experiments are great.

I have definitely failed at planning. I pulled materials for several of the hexagons, but that is not working. It was pretty idiotic to think it would. I keep putting stuff aside and getting different stuff out as I go along. Today Iím going to put all of it back for all the projects and abandon that not so logical plan. These are definitely go with the flow projects and a lot of pre-planning is wasted time. I was trying to avoid having to keep pulling out containers as I went along but thatís just going to be the way it is. Sigh. Perpetual table clutter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dcompton... I love your embroidery! yes the cowl is different. bernet put out xmas colours in cake yarn think it is Rudolph or candycane ..only bought them cus they were on clearance. something for the gift stash to give away. easy project. I did a bit of ribbon embroidery in the past on straw hats ..took a course.

I have clipped cats claws in the past but one cat now wouldn't let anyone do anything. even the vets. so thankfully she keeps them short enough

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Iíve had my different kinds of needles in tubes and really didnít like it. So yesterday afternoon I put together a needle book. Itís much more convenient

I did almost nothing on the embroidery yesterday. If it still counts as yesterday. I started around midnight. The new stitch for the day was a colonial knot. For the first several I felt like I was doing it with three thumbs and a needle that was trying to escape, but eventually got the hang of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-image.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wasn't that the way they used to keep needles in the past ..in felt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don’t know. I’ve seen similar things commercially made, but this patched together job is working for me. It’s a pretty obvious solution to a problem so I’m sure it must have been used over and over through the ages.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

did some research.. had seemed to remember needles coming in book and in older stories in felt to stop them rusting. lots of cute projects out there for them.

https://lumenaris.com/needlebooks_fullsized.html2019 Stash Management-book.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

went though one popup container in kids craft area..got rid of a bag of old socks had keep for kids to use for sock monsters, bag of fleece scraps too. pulled out a bunch of fleece scarves from michaels grab bags ..type w fringe edges you are suppose to tie together so putting a bunch together.

gave a friend a big bag of xmas decor michaels grab bag and xmas ball I inherited for her xmas wreaths she sells.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice embroidery.

Got some work done on my w/b afgan. I'm about halfway through skein #5. The afgan's definitely past my knees which is nice.

I sent the purple and green afgan to my Dad to give to his nurse. She liked the colors and Dad liked the one I made for him (in his University colors). His is a lighter version of the one he already has that I made for him years ago. And it's out of my place, which is nice.

Sigh. Heard on Friday that one of my neighbors put in a noise complaint about me. Problem is I'm pretty sure that there's a limited amount I can do about it. The squeaking noise is either the floor boards (meaning I can't anything about that) or a very squeaky chair I've been using for the last 20 years. I'm going to try and oil the section that's squeaking to see if that helps. The other part of the complaint is about the banging that's been going for the last year or so. Problem is, I'm not the one doing that. In fact, I've been complaining about the same banging for the past 6 months. It's the person next door to me that I (and the person below me) share a wall with. So on one hand, I'm annoyed that this neighbor can't be bothered to talk to me directly. But on the other, if it is the person I"ve been complaining about (and I'm pretty sure it is), it's nice to have a third person on the complaint.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Off topic: SD - which air fryer do you have?

Yesterday was yet another b’day party so I got almost nothing done on the embroidery. I finished the colonial knot section and then mostly just sat and looked at it considering what to do next. I have another trip to town this afternoon so today won’t be very productive either. I would like to get by Office Depot and print out the pattern books that go with the Australian templates, but it depends on how long the doctor appointment and haircut take. I should have had a haircut a couple of months ago. It is no longer negotiable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DCompton,

The phrase embroidery samplers tends to bring to mind something very old fashioned looking. But now when I google embroidery samplers, I see that most of them are much more contemporary looking. Most of them do not have the ABC's. Very similar in spirit to what you are doing.

I have not bought more thread yet. I was leaning toward thinner thread than what I am currently using, which is size 8 pearl cotton. However, after embroidering for a little while, I am leaning more toward getting the size I am working with. I was thinking of ordering with an online company called Handy Hands Tatting. I am primarily getting DMC pearl cotton. However, I wanted to try out a ball or two of Lizbet thread. I do not see that thread many places other places. I think it is their brand of thread. Anyway, the DMC pearl cotton thread does not have pictures of the thread, just names and numbers. That store just lost me as a customer.

Crochet thread size 20 is about the size of pearl cotton 8. However, the standard size of crochet cotton is size 10. Size 20 is harder to find and not in every brand. Also some brands have it only in white/off white.

I am starting to rethink my idea of trying out different types of pearl cotton and other non-floss thread. (I am not a fan of separating out the six strand threads.) DMC pearl cotton is reasonably priced and available at pretty much any place that sells embroidery thread. Do I want to discover I prefer a brand that is pricey and hard to find?
    KathyB