2019 Stash Management - Page 4
Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, the way I figure it, if you can get back to JA to get the fabric, great! If not, it wasn't meant to be. Sorry you are having so much flooding. This year's weather pattern is really pounding the south.

SD, ugh. I have done that. I have to say that one thing I really like about my cutting machine is that it never gets the measurements wrong. (Though sometimes I pull the wrong die).

I had fun window shopping today. Did not really see anything I had to have. Got a good deal on some clearanced Yankee Candles, and spent a whopping 1.18 on two remnants of white fabric at JA.

Tomorrow is quilt club. I think. I don't know if anyone else is still attending. I'm going out anyway. The shop owner is clearing out all the fabric @ 50% off, in order to concentrate on selling batting and doing custom quilting. I've been avoiding buying yardage, but.....

BTW, I ripped the seam on the weird trapezoid block and re-did it this morning. It looks much better, but didn't exactly come out square and is a little shy of the correct size. Glad I am never making another one of these.

Name:  DSCN0908.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  33.2 KB
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks good, CH. You know we're our own worst critics.

Here's how unimaginative I am. I was reviewing some stuff online about angel gowns and stumbled on the idea of cutting the patterns from heavy plastic, to help with determining exact pattern placement for utilizing the trim on the gowns. WHY THE HECK DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT? It's so obvious now, of course. I even have the plastic, if I can get the creases out of it. Clear patterns will be so much easier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wouldn’t have had time for JA anyway. Usually I don’t have to wait long for these appointments, but I finally saw my apologetic doctor at a few minutes after 4:00 for the 2:30 appointment. I’m sure he was doing his best. The little car (hereafter named Duckling) made it home with only one heart stopping moment. I was in traffic and all the cars seemed to be plowing through a wide puddle across the street with no issues, but I started to slide. I got control just as it felt like it was going start fish tailing. That would have been bad because I would certainly had hit someone. I wasn’t going to attempt my regular route, but I heard at the doctor’s office that a stretch of it was being closed. When I left home we had only had a couple of inches over the two days but the ground was already saturated. Happily I have nowhere else I have to go for days.

Dircpa - that’s a great deal on the batting. CH - the block looks ok to me but what do I know? I can only imagine what it would look like if I tried it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

flooding here is bad too. a neighbour about 4 houses down is actually sitting in a pond now of several inches deep water over about an acre of their land with the house sitting in that too. And they had just put on 2 new porches about a week or so before it flooded out. and it has been raining so much here, that I haven't seen it go down much in the last 2 months. the riding lawn mower has been sitting in that water ( with the water up into the engine area) since that time. It will start to dry up and go down an inch or two and then the rains come again. It is so sad to look at when we drive by. I showed my daughter in law and her jaw dropped at how awful it looks and expressed my feeling exactly. I feel so bad for them. got the bride coming in today to try the dress on and see if I need to take any more in and talk about the bolero and decide how she wants that to go. as for doing much of anything else, I have been a slug. does practicing the piano count?!? I actually do add to my stash of music too. haha! but I did get my 10,000 steps the last 2 days. I have a lot of the string blocks to the point where I need to press them and I haven't ventured into that room to get that done yet so that is where I am there. Enjoy your day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO! Husby just called. Someone at work saw on TV this morning that our GW store will be out of business January 19. I can't believe it. It's our only thrift store. This will be a huge loss for our whole community. ☹️

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about the GW store closing, SD. Especially with it being your only thrift store.

Getting close to finishing skein #6 on the wool afgan. I might be able to finish it over the weekend, depending on my mood tomorrow. I don't really have any plans beyond going to the winter farmer's market but that's in the morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Knotme, that’s terrible about your neighbor. Wednesday when I was driving home on the regular route my eye caught water. I was the only one on the road so I slowed to look. Several large houses at the front of their properties were ok but a little farther back they had instant lakefront property. Acres and acres underwater. Our pond is out of its banks but not threatening anything but a pergola, and the low place beside my house, my “marsh,” has spread as much as I have ever seen it. When our well was being drilled several years ago, they hit water at eight feet. I think most of the time Louisiana just floats.

I worked on the fabric that was already in the cabinets last night so it looks like I have not done anything at all. It won’t take long to finish that today and then I can move on to the visible piles. My goal is to be able to put away the temporary table I’ve been using for sorting. It is greatly in my way.

SD - that’s a shame about your GW. You will really miss it. I never did get to the large one here. I planned a trip to check it out before Christmas but it just never happened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope everyone's flooding goes down soon. We're getting more rain in my area tonight. While nowhere near as bad as knotme's or dc's situation, it's still been a very wet year for us too. We still have some standing water in places but it's also gone down a bit in other places. At least I don't have to worry about my parents' old house any more. That's now the new owner's problem. (The house was on the lowest lot in the development.) As for me, I don't have to worry about flooding. But I do have to worry about the roof leaking. The 'dry' wall has stains from roof leaks (I'm on the top floor) but hasn't come down. Apparently the apartment complex had a roofer come in to fix the roof but I'm not sure if it was done back in September and they only now closed out the paper work or if they only just now fixed the leaks this week. At least the siding construction is finished on my building and the scaffolding's been removed. The first building they did (mine was the second building), the construction took three months and they ended up with leaks as the scaffolding was anchored into the roof for stability.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope the rain and floods don't cause major problems for anyone.

We lost power for a couple hours this morning so I worked on trying to figure out the latch hook project. The picture is supposed to be an eagle and it takes up a big share of the project, of course. There three shades of brown in the eagle, but 2 of the colors used for printing the canvas are very close, so it was really hard to see what color yarn went where. I haven't been working on it in daylight, but with no power it seemed like a good time. I was able to barely see a difference in the printed colors, so I went through and did all of one of the colors. The othe 2 are distinctive, so now it will be easy to do the rest. Now I have eye strain and a headache, but it was worth it not to have to struggle to differentiate colors again.

I'm so bummed out about GW closing. Our next closest thrift store will once again be 50 miles away.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, it's just been a crappy day all around, hasn't it? I arrived at quilt club to find myself the only one there. Chatted with the owner a bit. Due to lack of interest she is going to cancel it. There is another shop in the area selling the cutter and dies now, I may check them out. On the positive side, she let me shop the sale a day before anyone else, since I was there. $5 a yrd fabric. I picked out 3 prints and got half to 1 yd cuts. It was a really good deal but I can't squeeze in any more yardage. She is selling off the fabric to concentrate on custom quilting and selling high end batting. It is where they make the money, she says.

We just found out a friend lost his young son over the summer. He is so emotional over it he couldn't even talk about it to anyone for months. We saw him in September and he never said a word. I cannot imagine his pain.

I am not sure what we are doing tonight. It is supposed to be dinner and games, but one person is sick, so I don't know what everyone will want to do. She has chronic medical issues, like mine, and I know she is feeling really awful if she has to cancel on us. I was going to make food but now I don't now what to plan for.

I hope it does not get worse for those of you in flood land. There's been so much destruction already from hurricanes. Spring has the potential to be devastating even if the weather is not extraordinary.

Sorry about the GW, SD. I hope something new and wonderful takes its place.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - I'm so sorry to hear bout you GW closing.

No crafting, just lurking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We were at GW today and it was like a wake. Everyone is upset about it. Employees didn't know till Wednesday, public didn't know till yesterday or today. The place has already been ransacked. We did find a few things.

Remember when I was whining about wanting a stainless steel trash can for the little narrow space by my sewing cabinet and work table? And that I wasn't going to spend $100 for the one I liked? Guess what! TA-DA!
    2019 Stash Management-20190104_185601_1546651254926.jpg
    GW had this little gem for a mere $4. It doesn't have the step on flip lid like I wanted, but I'm good with that since it does have a lift off lid. Two, in fact, not sure why. It's actually a tea or coffee server made by Bunn. It's much heavier steel than a trash can, and it's a perfect fit for the space where it has to live. It only holds 3.5 gallons, but I can live with that too. I love the style and uniqueness of my freshly repurposed trash can, and it should meet my needs. I think I can peel the label off of it, if I decide I want to. I looked this up on Bunn's website and it sells for $168. Of course I wouldn't have paid that for it, but regardless, it was a steal at only $4. Happy me!

I do love a good repurpose.

Dang, we'll miss that store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry to hear about the run of bad luck surrounding you, CH. I hope 2019 will treat you more kindly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another nice coincidence with my new trash can is a plastic grocery bag exactly fits in it. It will hold more than it looks like, I think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that sucks that your thrift store is closing. all that rain! like here but we are not flat so it runs away. not a flat area. that is really hard for your friend. I can't imagine that pain. on a different note.... finished a blanket for kids cousin ..she didn't want it bigger told her to give it back if she did. mandala yarn phoenix colourway2019 Stash Management-phoenixblanket.jpg

Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast