2019 Stash Management - Page 40
Page 40 of 194 FirstFirst ... 30373839404142435090140 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sure some yarns could work for embroidery. Fabric type might make a big difference in the outcome, too.

I'm well known for using things for other than their intended purposes!

Do you know anyone who could share a few pieces of lace weight yarn for you to try? Maybe there's a remnant assortment on eBay you could try for cheap.

Got the mini greenhouse set up, so that's ready. I need to get seeds started today. Some should have been started before this.

Snow plow went by this morning but the sun is out, so maybe it will all melt today. We got about an inch plus rain and sleet. The fun never stops.

We just filled out our registration for the Aliner Owners Club. They have chapters all over the US and Canada and have a national US rally once a year, plus smaller state rallies several times a year, I think. It's a member only site so I couldn't get details. I can't wait to get more info but it will be a while since they still use snail mail (who does THAT?) so have to wait for the registration to get to Sioux Falls.

I was able to look at some of the mods people have done and someone installed a 12v water pump in their camper to transfer water from our portable 5 gallon fresh tote into the trailer's fresh tank. The way we do it now involves a funnel stuck in the side of the trailer and lifting that heavy water tote up to pour it into the funnel. Being able to leave the tote on the little cart we use to fetch water and never having to lift it would be a huge help. I'm afraid there's no room for the pump but I'm sure going try to find some.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sometimes it just seems more fun to me to use things not for their intended purpose. Maybe because it feels more creative. I like the artwork that incorporates found bits.

It is rebellious, but in a safe. non threatening way. I think of myself as kind of a non-conformist. But not in an edgy way. I am the opposite of edgy. Kind of soft and squishy. Figuratively, that is. Although soft and squishy in a literal sense too. Like if knee length skirts are in, I would rebel with a full length skirt instead of a mini.

Less rebel and more eccentric old lady.

I might have some lace weight yarn around. I am not sure. I think I may have the next size up, which is called "super fine." If that works, then the thinner weight would work too.

I just read lace weight is about the size of standard crochet thread. So a bit thicker than the pearl 8 I have been using.

I am tempted to buy a bunch of lace weight yarn, but it would be better to check first.

I think fabric type makes a difference. I have been using felt. I suspect things go through felt a little easier. Overall, I am guessing a tight weave fabric would be harder to embroider thick yarns than a loose weave fabric. Right now I am really liking felt because you do not need to use a hoop for it.

Wool tends to be a little fuzzy, so that might make it harder to go through fabric. I wonder if crewel wool is a bit smoother.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I found my little doll with yarn hair. It is a little pocket doll, only a couple inches and very simply made. I think I made her over ten years ago. Looking pack, I should have added much more yarn for hair than I did. But I can use her for my brushed yarn hair experiment. I will skip the ironing step though. That is usually done before sewing the hair on.

I will post some before and after pictures when I experiment on her. Probably this weekend.

Now I am thinking of getting into making simple cloth dolls from felt. Now I am thinking even though I just got a bunch of felt, not that much is a good felt color. I have white and some off white that is still pretty white. I would rather have something with at least a hint of tan in it. I probably have enough of some medium brown to make a small doll.

The ones that currently interest me right now are called pocket dolls. These are generally around 3 or 4 inches with over-sized heads. The look is cute rather than realistic. Due to the small size, they are pretty simplified. For example, tube arms and legs. Sometimes there will be a little bit of a foot shape. I feel like this is a lot of my crafts/craft materials coming together. Felt for the body, cloth scraps (maybe an old sock) of clothing, yarn hair and embroidered face.

They are a little step up from the one I made years ago. And the large heads gives them a cuter look. And it allows a little more detail on the faces and hair.

This weekend I will look to see if their are free/cheap patterns on line. I am less thrilled with the online patterns on craftsy (now bluprint) recently. They are really plugging the classes so much more than the patterns. It can be tricky just navigating to the pattern. If it is something simple, I am find with just a pattern. I do not need a class. But I guess classes are where they money is. Or what most people prefer. Maybe both.

It makes me happy to find new things to craft where I already have all the material. I have fabric, felt, yarn, embroidery thread, beads, buttons, lace trim, fancy paper, markers, colored pencils, etc. So the odds of finding something I have materials for is actually fairly good.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finally got around to buying a park pass today! Free admission to hundreds of federal sites including national parks for the rest of my life, for a measly $80. Such a deal. Lots of discounts on stuff like campsites, which will be half price at a lot of places. It will save us a bunch. Now we won't have to pay $25 just to drive through Badlands or $30 for Roosevelt! We are often near both when we go to Spearfish, but usually skip them due to cost when we don't have time to spend there. The lifetime pass will soon pay for itself. We're planning a trip to Illinois in the fall for camping for about a week, and will get half price camp fees because it's a Corps of Engineers cg. Can't wait! Our tax dollars at work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That’s a terrific deal on the parks pass, SD. You will get your money back many, many times over. By the way, how is DH settling into retirement? It’s all good, I hope.

My neighbors are going to redo a flower bed for me this weekend or next week. I have four Indian hawthorns there and three of them are not thriving at all. The fourth is doing pretty well. I think it’s a soil problem. It’s against the house in front of the screen porch, so it’s what I see most often and the scraggly things are depressing. The worst is on the left end and each is progressively better as you move to the right. There is no telling what may have been dumped there during construction. Tomorrow I’ll go to the nursery and pick up what they recommended to add to the soil. They will move the three sad ones someplace else and replace them in the bed with some day lilies and a yellow ligustrum I got yesterday. I like just green in the bed but it will be nice to have a little color for the blooming period, and the ligustrum is a cheerful color. It’s almost time to move to the porch for my morning tea! It’s full spring here. Green trees, singing birds.

I’m getting close to finished with the stash consolidation. All I have left is pink, multi-color, and a few odds and ends I missed from the other color groups. I’m going to start that now and try really hard to finish it tonight. Then I can put away all the containers it was in and move on to other needed projects.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - I just looked at some pictures of pocket dolls. It’s looks like those would be a lot of fun for you to make. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you dye the white felt a little darker using coffee or tea bags?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just booked the Illinois trip. The shiny new card knocked the price of the campsite down from $64 to $32 for 4 nights, so it's already paid for more than 1/3 of its cost. We will have to pay additional charges for electricity when we get there. That's always a separate charge in cgs and not covered by the card.

Now I just want to go somewhere else. I hope we can get the camper out soon. Lots of work to do on it, starting with replacing the AC. Not looking forward to that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby loves retirement. He was saying today it's almost like he never had a job, and he was there 27 years. We're just waiting on the weather to warm up so we can get started on some outside work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on skein #6 on the w-b afgan. I'm finding that I'm itching to be outside again. Or at least out and about, away from my apartment. I'm thinking that I will join the Tuesday/Thursday writing group again. I think I'll start with the Thursday night group and go from there. I do need to start getting my plot ready for the growing season.

On the other hand, I would like to take one of my crocheting projects and just kick back in either the library or one of the local malls that has some comfortable chairs. This way, I can people-watch as well. Problem is, there is this older women who I 'met' at the library while I was looking for work a few years back. She's set in her ways and is a bit rude in a blunt and outspoken sort of way. I feel sorry for her daughter who has to put up with her. But she doesn't seem to take any hints about leaving people to go about their own business.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - I found the same thing. As soon as I retired work just faded away as though it had never been. It was wonderful.

I didn’t quite finish with the stash but another hour or so should end it. I’ll do it tonight. Soon I need to drive back to the nursery to pick up the compost and mulch. That’s almost as long as the drive to town so it will take some time. The power was off when I got up and it’s just come back on, so I need to get some breakfast and then I can go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The felt I have is a wool blend. It is only 30% wool. So I am not sure how well it would dye. Generally blend will dye a much lighter color. It might be worth a try though.

Spring has kind of come here. Spring here is like a stray kitty. It pokes its head in the door, but does not want to commit to staying. Well most of the flowers are doing okay despite the unsusal temperature flip flops that are typical of DC spring.

Do other parts of the country get the crazy temperature swings like we get here? For example, one day might be a high of 70 and the next day will be a high of 50. We seem to get that every single spring and fall. It is more pronounced in the spring though.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think that’s a fairly common seasonal change pattern. We’re still having the temps up and down but the highs and lows are both trending upwards.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think what you use for embroidery depends on what fabric and what it will be used for .. like yarn embroidered on a sweater makes sense. if it is a napkin that would be washed a lot or something just decorative.

spirited that is an awesome deal for park pass! they have them here but only works for national sites so there is not many. have been decluttering ..had kept some of mils yarn but 6mths later still stinks of rotten perfume so in the thrift store box. working on second week of crochet along. should finish a scarf that was a gift.. not that she really wanted it but I knew that lol but figured she would appreciate later. though now the cat has disappeared..just before they left on holiday. though she is staying with friend and doesn't know. told them no more pets. her dd wants them but really no time , 15, just wants them there when she wants them so you know. had an escape artist dog got out no matter what they did. got hit on busy road out front. she was upset got another similar one similar problems. ended up giving it away because 15ft high fences wouldn't keep it in and a tiny dog too. had issues here babysitting it ..you know everyone thinking they know it better then you so got fed up. wouldn't come back until it wanted too. part greyhound runs like the wind. unless you locked in a room would escape. like 6lbs pulled my son over when walking him and he was 12. they don't know they are small wanted to take on great dane. and of course dd didn't have as much time for it. dad liked it but too much trouble. so then a cat...guess coyote got it plenty in urban areas. he was a nice one.

coral centre w olive yarn that matches the other yarn I will be using. michaels had a half price sale this week so since i needed one more colour got them cheap. but now everyone is posting new mandala yarn colours....will have to look for them.

2019 Stash Management-56536217_10157600090992971_4154585310677696512_o.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like your square. That is pretty center flower.

I made the run to the nursery. I was advised I needed 8 bags of stuff for the beds, but the person helping me decided 6 was about the limit she could get in my car, so we will make do with that. I got two more day lilies, another orange and another coral. I’ll put the orange in front of the porch, the coral on the side, and the sunshine ligustrum at the corner betweeen them. I think I’ll put the two yellow ones somewhere else.