2019 Stash Management - Page 41
Page 41 of 194 FirstFirst ... 31383940414243445191141 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The doll hair experiment. It worked but she lost a bit of hair. Like over half it seems like. It might be because I did not sew the hair in good originally.

The pictures are before, during and after. The last picture shows her with all the extra hair that was combed out placed back on her head.

I think this works. I will just need to use a little extra yarn. But it is still cheaper than buying doll hair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190406_105039221_1554565084685.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-img_20190406_105651926_1554565108826.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-img_20190406_110206490_1554565125974.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-img_20190406_110338579_1554565146819.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    The doll hair experiment. It worked but she lost a bit of hair. Like over half it seems like. It might be because I did not sew the hair in good originally.

The pictures are before, during and after. The last picture shows her with all the extra hair that was combed out placed back on her head.

I think this works. I will just need to use a little extra yarn. But it is still cheaper than buying doll hair.
    very cute. people were doing that for the crocheted troll headbands that were popular a couple of years ago. most vowing never again lol getting all that hair upright.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - that turned out well.

I have finally finished working on the stash. It has indeed saved a lot of space. Now I just need to get all the empties containers put away. After that, I’ll tackle the house. The weather says we are in for three days of thunderstorms that should begin soon. That kind of weather usually energizes me but it’s bad for the arthritis, so I’ll see how that balances out. At least tonight I can get back to the hexagon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy that doll is so cute....
    SD glad your man is enjoying his retirement....he goes back one day right? He will dread it and be so happy to get it over with...lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My knees lost in the face off between great working weather vs arthritis, so I got very little housework done. Today will be pretty much lost too because there is yet another birthday party. I think half the people around here have march and April birthdays. Today is little girl. She was told she could have anything she wanted to eat so say goodbye to health food. The menu is hamburgers, fries, Mac and cheese, and birthday cake - lol. I imagine the grownups will add a few vegetables to go along with it. She’s nine. I’ve got to get it together and wrap her presents pretty soon. She loves science and art so I got her a kids paper chromatography kit so she can learn more about color and a book on women scientists. Her favorite subject is math. Needless to say we are all encouraging this good beginning.

I ended up sorting metallic thread last night. I doubt you remember but last year I got an astounding buy on Kreinik bags of bits on eBay. Two enormous bags for what I would pay for two of the tiny bags. It’s all just stuffed in together. I had put my containers on the table while I regrouping on the cabinets. Then I sat down and looked at it, then I pulled out a few strands, and one strand led to another. I ended up spending the whole evening listening to a favorite book and sorting it by color. I hardly made a dent in it. There is a LOT of thread there. There are some tiny bits, but there are also a surprising number of really long pieces, a yard or two in length. I’m not keeping anything less than four or five inches - enough to thread a needles and get a reasonable number of stitches - unless it something I might want to couch. It’s fun to work through it and see what’s actually there. I’ll probably keep working on that sort for awhile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peg, yes, Husby has to work May 1. He's not dreading it, he's just wondering what he will do all day. His computer is already gone. His supervisor will be up from St. Paul to do sort of an exit interview, I guess. He's a nice guy, so there shouldn't be any drama there.

We started stripping the popcorn off the bathroom ceiling yesterday so had to run to the big town for paint and some other stuff today. I hope I will be able to use the stain blocker they recommended, but they said I could bring it back if it was a problem. I plan to open it up and let it sit for a while to see if I react to it.

I found a small plastic bin that should be the right size for the camper shower I've been working on for a few years. I really want to get that done. Federal campgrounds often don't offer showers, so we may end up needing our own shower more than in the past now that we plan to use more fed cgs so we can use the new discount card. The new shower tote is slightly more than half the size of the old one, and that's a significant amount of saved space in our tiny camper.

I got the batting ready to remove from 3 of the 4 blankets I need to modify. I don't think it will be enough. I'm also going to get rid of the mattress pad which might be enough. I hope so. I want my fold-down shelves back! Those are one of the nicest, handiest little extras that came with our camper. I especially miss the one by the sink, since there's no place to set dirty dishes without the shelf.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is to no drama leaving a job. I got a drama email my email inbox today. I lady I did not know - she sent this email to all of the US department of Agriculture - was quitting due to bad circumstances at work. And she wanted everyone to know the details. It was quite the drama bomb.

This weekend I did my experiment in embroidering with thin yarn. It was successful in that I was able to embroider on felt successfully. It was fairly thin yarn, but not as thin as the pearl cotton. So probably the next step up from lace weight. Even though it worked, I could feel a lot of resistance. It was mildly hard to sew with. I much prefer to sew with thread than goes through the material easier.

I am not sure if it is was the texture of the yarn or the thickness. I used yarn that had a bit of a fuzzy texture. It was acrylic yarn, but it had kind of a wool texture.

In a way I kind of liked the depth of the stitches from the yarn. They had a bit of a three dimensional feel to them. Although I am thinking that if I want to experiment more with something thicker, I will use size 5 or size 3 pearl cotton. In pearl cotton the smaller the number the larger the thread.

It occurs to me that with DMC I could get pearl cotton of different sizes in the same color. For example, I could couch a thick thread with an identical color thread. Or I could make something with bold lines and fine detail all in the same color.

I keep going back and forth in my mind about hand dyeing thread. It is kind of fun. But it is messy. And I have to wear gloves to keep the dye off me. And the chemicals are kind of bad. Wool dyeing can be done with food coloring so it is relatively safe. Cotton needs different chemicals to dye. There are lots of choices of hand dyed thread I can choose. They cost more, but not so much I can't afford it.

I might play around a little with natural dyes. I am drawn to the idea of over dyeing existing thread. Most of the variegated thread out there is white with light and medium/dark shades of the same color. So dyeing a purple with red dye would turn a white/purple thread to a red/reddish purple thread.

Now it is a bit tricky since I do not have a garden or convenient woodland area to go off gathering things. And some of the suggestions are a bit pricey. For example, I am not going to be dyeing with raspberries. I am thinking that I might be able to gather fallen flower petals from the public gardens near by. And occasionally they dig up out of season flowers to be replaced. One suggestion is dandelion flowers which I think I can pick freely from public grassy areas. They also suggest celery leaves which I would toss anyway. Avocado skins can also be used. We do not have avocados very often but the skin is something we normally toss.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on skein #6 on my w-b afgan. I figured these skeins will take some time due to the yarn weight. I think I'm also getting a bit stir-crazy with the weather finally becoming nice enough to be outside.

On the other hand, I did get a chance to work on the WIP I keep in my car. I went to see a movie in the theater (saw Captain Marvel) and had some time to work on the lapgan. I had to laugh because another woman mentioned that she thought it was a good idea (having a project to work on while waiting).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My yard work by proxy is zipping along. Yesterday a neighbor was out in the golf cart and I asked him if he would put some fertilizer around my trees and shrubs before the rain started. He did and also planted all the new stuff. We decided to leave the hawthorns where they were, no doubt to his relief. They were attacked by fungus last year and the remaining leaves are very washed out looking. However they are blooming so we have them a good dose of potting soil and compost and will see if the recover this year. They are in a bed between the sidewalk and house and we put the daylilies on the yard side of the sidewalk, about half it’s length. He said it would look great to have them line the whole walk and would cheerfully plant them. So I guess I’ll go back to the nursery and get another seven or eight of them. That’s going to be pretty pricey but will add some nice color to the yard. I’ve gone with solid color blooms in yellow, coral, and orange. Since when the rain started we got a deluge with half an inch in the first 20-30 minutes I think we can safely say the fertilizer is well and truly washed down into the soil.

I have a dental appointment again today. The dentist is going to try to save a large ancient filling but it may have to turn into a crown, a costly nuisance. I have insurance but don’t know how much it will cover on s crown.

The point of this rambling off topic post is that I don’t know how much crafting or stash work with the metallic thread will be done today. I’m not much in the mood to do anything. Maybe I need to put all that aside and just make a few scarves for a break. In fact, that sounds like a good idea as I type it. So probably some crocheting for a few days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was poking around a bit more on natural dyes. An interesting thing is that most natural dyes can be used with plant fiber, like cotton as well as animal fiber, like wool. The difference is what you set the fiber with. However, cotton and linen tend to dye lighter than wool and silk that uses the same plant dye.

I also read that natural is not always safer. Some plants are toxic, so you have to be careful to use separate pots and bowls for them. And a few plants are so toxic that just working with the finished fiber can cause issues. So maybe collecting random flower petals is not the best idea.

Unlike commercial dyes, there is not one made for plant based and one for animal based. And I suspect the difference with commercial dyes is that the materials to set the dye are included in the dye.

That made me think about the whole dyeing with food coloring thing. So if plants can dye any type of natural material, why can't food coloring. Everything I read said you can only dye wool and animal fibers with it, but I went digging some more. I found a post on the blog whiterabbitcorchet. She sucessfully dyed cotton with food coloring. She said much of the dye washed out and she was left with pastel colors. She says it did not work as well as wool. But it did dye.

I remember dyeing with commercial dye designed for plant fibers. Much of the dye rinses out. You are left with a much lighter color that when you take it out of the dye bath. So getting an exact shade of color would require lots of experience. But just playing around with not preset expectation was fun.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I want to color some of my lace for the next hexagon project but haven’t decided how I’ll do it yet. I have fabric markers and some dyes. I’ll probably start with the markers and see how that works. Some of the lace is cotton and some is synthetic.

My wonderful dentist saved the old filling so no crown needed. When my lips work again I’ll get some supper and then see what I want to do this evening. I did get the daylilies to finish lining the sidewalk. Holy moly! Have I ever torpedoes the yard budget this year. But they are about as indestructible as anything you can plant so I hope this is a once and done project. Forever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lilies are great plus they spread. too bad you didn't know anyone that wanted to share them. I keep telling people to come thin out my irises lol

there are lots of natural things you can use to dye ..same as you would for easter eggs.... onion skins, beets, tea, coffee etc. koolaid is popular too. the kind you add sugar too.

no new colours of yarn out when I looked in the states but got a couple mandala. week 3 came out of the crochet along but still have a few left to finish from last week of the squares

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think it's popular with true fiber artists, but original Rit dye is not toxic. One of our husky puppies years ago ate an entire box of navy blue. Poison Control assured me she would be fine, and she was. I think the main ingredient in Rit is salt.

I put the first coat of primer on the little nook where the big linen cabinet lives in the master bath. I should have patched the 3 dozen holes in the walls where the builder installed wire shelving. I was going to, but one thing led to another and before I knew it the ceiling and walls were all primed. I'll do it tomorrow. It's a small area but about as much as I can handle at one time even with low odor primer. I tried this primer before and didn't cover well enough because of the ugly print on the original Sheetrock. Even several coats of paint weren't enough. But this time I'm going to try 2 or more coats of primer instead. I think maybe that will cover much better. Applying primer with a roller instead of brush seems to help, too. The little bit I got done today looks 1,000 times better than the ugly wallpaper and popcorn ceiling we started with. I never thought I minded the popcorn, but I'm loving the flat ceiling even if it's only 3 feet square for now. I'm in a big hurry to get this nook done because the giant cabinet is sitting in the middle of the bathroom in the way of everything. Having gone through the ordeal of moving that heavy monster into the bathroom when we got it, there's no way we're moving it out and then moving it back in in a few days. Once we can shove it back into its nook, we should make faster progress on the rest of the room. So happy this project is finally underway. I hope we can wrap up the painting in the next couple weeks, but not counting on it.

I got the batting ripped out of the 4th blanket from the camper and sewed it up again. Still have to sew the other 3 but that won't take long. I sure hope all this works. I want my folding shelves back!

I got little bows sewed on 4 more angel pockets, so I'm down to 4 to finish. Obviously it hasn't been a priority lately. I'm still frustrated over not being able to hoop the pockets quite right. I haven't found good advice online either.

It was kind of a busy day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do not think of myself as a "true fiber artist." One of the reasons I like it here is that so many craft groups are full of fiber snobs, craft snobs, etc. There is a certain community or perhaps simply a vocal portion of the community that can be unpleasant to people who are using cheap materials. The puzzling thing is that the yarn snobs seem to have embraced kool aid dyeing but not Rit.

I have considered Rit, but I am leaning toward food coloring because I can get a whole box of around 12 different colors for around the price of one or two boxes of Rit. Since this would mostly be for dyeing thread, I would be using very small amounts.

Dcompton,

Do you know what the synthetic lace is made of? Nylon lace is easy to dye. Polyester and acrylic are hard to dye.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know you're not a craft snob, Kathy. 🙂

Rit has a new dye for polyester and synthetics. I haven't tried it yet, but might do some wedding gown lace sometime. I agree it does not make sense for tiny amounts.

We talked ourselves out of going to the MN zoo again. It took 2 years to get the constant frown off Shadow's face. She has really blossomed in the past few months. She wags and smiles and talks all the time now. Her anxiety seems a lot less. She even likes to cuddle sometimes now. In the past month, she has started to play with toys. We're afraid if we stuck her in a kennel for 3 or 4 days, it would cause a huge setback. She wouldn't trust us anymore, and we've worked so hard to make her believe we're trustworthy. They would both think they were going back to a shelter. Not worth it. I do miss the zoo though.