2019 Stash Management - Page 42
Page 42 of 194 FirstFirst ... 32394041424344455292142 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think the lace is most likely polyester but really don’t know. That’s why I’m thinking the fabric markers are more likely to work than dye on that. But I haven’t tried anything yet.

Last night I got sucked into the metallic thread again. I ease one thread out of the tangle, then another, then another. It’s like working a jigsaw. Once started it’s hard to stop. I’m listening to a book while I do it so my mind is busy and suddenly I’ve been doing it for three hours. Eventually I’ll probably put that on bobbins too, but for now just a color division into containers is fine.

The scraggly hawthorns by the screen porch - where it was warm enough to have the first outdoor morning tea today! - are blooming and the bees are going crazy. I keep looking up from typing this at the alarmingly loud buzzing. I’ve been stung by flying critters enough that it is not a comforting sound. Thank goodness for screens, though with all those blossoms they would surely have no interest in me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I have read that some zoos allow people to bring their dogs in with them. Does Shadow do okay with crowds? Has she even been exposed to crowds before? Well I suppose you could go off season when it is less crowded.

The DC zoo is always crowded except when the weather is nice. It is a free zoo in high population area so there are lots of people that visit. I actually like visiting zoos in other cities even if they are smaller than ours. They are less crowded so it seems more relaxing.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think pets would be allowed in that zoo. Pets and zoos don't seem like a good mix to me. Our dogs still need a lot of work. They aren't violently aggressive, but they will jump up and want to be petted and Storm howls at people to get attention. They're too excitable around strangers. They also have a high prey drive when it comes to small dogs. We plan to keep muzzles handy till they learn to be better citizens. We will be working with them when the weather straightens out.

I got the second coat of primer on and it made a big difference. One more coat should do it. Thank goodness! Otherwise I would have to use something much more toxic to me. I'm excited about being able to start putting color on the walls, finally. We decided on a nice cheerful yellow for that room. It's going to be a big change from the ugly wallpaper I hated from the day we moved in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a bad case of the lazies today. At least I finally dealt with clothing, putting winter things away and getting summer things in the prime places. Iíve been wearing a mix of both but it seems we are finally past that. Of course it took longer than I anticipated and when it was done I wanted to do - nothing. At all.

Hereís my metallic thread project. Iíll probably move back to that eventually. Right now, probably just some word puzzles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-5c1d3ed2-3506-4228-8c61-8e34846e86ab.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That thread looks really nice.

Right now I am feeling pretty lazy myself. They are in the processing of switching to AC at work. It is a large building and they have to switch it gradually. The hallways seem to have AC. My office does not. It is hot and there is a lack of air circulating.

My condo has not switched over to AC either.

We also have a seasonal tourist increase - cherry blossom season plus spring break. The crowds wear me out a bit. And walking around the Smithsonian gardens is not as relaxing when they are crowded.

Browsing the internet for crafts I will probably not do, or at least not do any time soon. It is what I feel up to. That and playing easy phone app games. But they make me feel a little better. Anything that helps me feel better is not a waste.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The 3rd coat is the charm, I guess, because I finally disappeared the ugly wallpaper with the 3rd coat of primer today. I can't wait to start putting color on tomorrow. I'm hoping that will only take 2 coats since we're back to a pristine white to go under it. It would be nice if we could move the cabinet back where it belongs on Saturday or no later than Sunday. Then we should be able to speed up progress because there will be room for both of us to work in there at the same time. I want the painting done so badly so I can call the plumber and get the new sink and vanity installed, finally. It will be so nice to be making progress on the inside of the house. The plan is to try to pick a room and work through it completely to get all the UFOs done and everything painted and updated completely, except floors, in each room before moving on to the next. We have a long way to go to get this place whipped into shape to either sell or eliminate us having to keep working on old UFOs endlessly. We don't plan to move for at least 3 years, but it will probably take at least that long to get things all done. It feels goid to be started now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have talking with my husband and we will probably fix up our place for sale after we have moved out. And by we I mean hiring people to do it. It is a lot easier to paint and replace carpet when the room is empty. And we have cats, so if we replaced the carpet now, it would just get messed up in a few years.

Generally people have the awkwardness of trying to sell their current place before getting a new place. My husband wants to save up enough that we can get a down payment on another place without having to sell our current place first. Our last credit cards should be paid off sometime this year. That will give us a nice monthly chunk we can toss into savings. I am thinking a money market account. They pay better interest than savings accounts and they are insured up to $500,000.

We have regular retirement accounts too. We will up the contributions to them a little. But after retirement we will probably take the roll over into annuity option. If the stock market does well you are much better off leaving them in stocks. But the annuities are safe. If the stock market does bad, you are still safe.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, it's definitely a lot easier to fix up a house after everything's moved out. Depending on how the house is, it can also be sold with the understanding that it will need to be renovated. That's what we did with my parent's place a couple of years ago. The price will be lower to reflect the renovations needed but it's also money you don't have to spend getting the house updated. Also, the new buyers may be renovating the house to their tastes anyway, such as hard wood floors vs. carpeting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

From big houses to little bits of thread ... Iíve just been plugging away at the metallic thread tangle. The end is in sight but it will still need a couple of long days work to finish it. Itís definitely worth the time though because it was not very usable as it was. Once it is all sorted into color groups I can keep one out as a sort of ongoing project and maybe spend a few minutes each day putting a little on bobbins and sorting the short bits Iíve saved into little bags.

Today I absolutely must work on the house some. The spring cleaning I requested for a bday present is happening Monday and I really must get things put away before then. I also want to regroup on some of the kitchen storage.

All the planting is done. The first set was done by the dad, the second group by his sons while he was at work. I had them put the last three lilies on the short side of the porch. They planted them closer to the house than I intended, but they said they tried to get them inside the drip line from the roof. Iíll have to see how that goes. It may also be too wet for them there. At least it wouldnít be too hard to move them if necessary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The house is actually a condo. But selling as is v. fixing it up and selling is a consideration. I will check with a real estate agent when it gets closer to the time.

Another consideration would be whether we had to stick around town while all this is being done. I want to move out of the area after I retire. So moving to a local apartment while this is done is awkward. Most places want you to sign a one year lease. I do not want to stick around for a whole year after I retire. One or two months would be okay.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    Kathy, it's definitely a lot easier to fix up a house after everything's moved out. Depending on how the house is, it can also be sold with the understanding that it will need to be renovated. That's what we did with my parent's place a couple of years ago. The price will be lower to reflect the renovations needed but it's also money you don't have to spend getting the house updated. Also, the new buyers may be renovating the house to their tastes anyway, such as hard wood floors vs. carpeting.
    yes that is what we did with mil's place because it seriously needed renos. 27yr old appliances etc. two tone carpet from sun original. sil thought it should be listed for more then a completely reno'd place. could have used a better clean though. she didn't get the walls washed or balcony washed etc. you can't can't talk to her so.... and the realtor did the best she could basically put your stamp on it. the neighbours when she sold her place..had two little dogs..old place stained glass etc. she cleaned etc except she didn't clean the carpets which were in the family room and bedroom stained dog pee smell.. you would have though the realtor would have said something. she put so much effort decluttering and cleaning the rest of the house. and you can tell the carpets weren't cleaned for a long time. small thing that would make a big difference.

being really clean is a big thing all those little things that make it look that the big things weren't taken care even though they are. if it needs it then get the whole place painted a nice neutral trendy colour. clean and tidy make a big difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

99% finished dd blanket just going to hand sew the corners of the comforter to the ends of the cover. made the cover at least a yard bigger in height then the comforter. on well works out. stitched a seam top and bottom about 8 inches in so less room for it to move about inside. joys of straight pattern easy to follow the line. need to make pillow cases to match. finished off the knot together sm quilt. was scarves from michaels grab bags. can see what they weren't a hit! would be too expensive to make a quilt that way or scarf full price. reg material is so much cheaper. will go downstairs on the couch. tried taking a pic ..kitten had to be involved of course. 2019 Stash Management-knot1.jpg2019 Stash Management-busterb.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The logistics of moving can be tricky. Market has a lot to do with it. Here, houses can sit for years and not sell. In that situation it would be too easy to end up with 2 mortgages and an empty house with no one around to watch over it. I shudder to think what non-homestead taxes would be on a lake property. They're high enough at the homesread rate.

Most of our updates will be paint and getting rid of the popcorn ceilings. Buyers hate them because they are ugly, they can't really be cleaned or painted, and it's a huge mess to get rid of them. However, from our very limited experience, it doesn't seem like a difficult job, doesn't require a lot of tools or skills, doesn't use any chemicals, and it's not even a lot of hands on work. The ceiling is just sprayed with water and left to sit 15 minutes or so, then the popcorn scrapes off easily. We used a spray bottle for the 3x4 area we're working on now, but then recalled we have a NIB weed sprayer, so will try that next. I think the job would be even easier if the popcorn was wetter, and doing a big area with the spray bottle is too much work. It will be worth the work not to have buyers walk in, take one look at 2,000 sf of popcorn, and walk right back out again.

We've thought a lot about how to handle a transition and haven't come up with a good plan. We were thinking about buying a second house but since the heart attack, we've been so relieved nothing worked out. Husby needed to retire but couldn't have if we had a second house. And neither of us could take care of this house alone, much less a second one 120 miles away.

I'm curious where we will actually end up. Things rarely go exactly as planned.

Another complicating factor is there aren't a lot of houses where we want to move that offer what we're looking for. Most likely we will end up listing this house and moving a bunch of our stuff to storage in GR or wherever we decide to move. Then if we found a new house, we would have to include a contingency in the purchase agreement saying there is no sale if our current house does not sell in a specified time. It's the only thing I can think of, and it still involves moving twice and probably living in the camper for a while. It's going to be interesting when the time comes, for sure. We would also have to move Mom and deal with everything that would involve.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My parents' house had popcorn ceilings, from what I remember. And cathedral ceilings in the family and dining/living rooms. Oi. But the location and the style of the house were highly desirable so it went quickly. I think Dad had offer on it within 3 weeks. We also listed it early April which might have had some beneficial effect. Apparently, winter/early spring is a good time to sell since people are more likely to be seriously looking for a new home then. I think people want to be moved into the house before school starts is a main factor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There aren't many good jobs here, so it's hard for people to afford a house, especially on a lake. It's just not a good market here right now.

I got the first coat of paint on the ceiling and walls. The ceiling only needs one coat, I think. It's white paint over white primer, so not really surprising. The yellow paint went on beautifully and will only need 2 coats, so I can finish painting the nook tomorrow morning and maybe move the cabinet back tomorrow afternoon. That will be a relief to get that out of the way. Then we can get on with the rest of that room which I hope will go fast.

We're trying to decide when to do the rip and tear on the old vanity. It's in the way of working on the area above it, and we're thinking we should focus on that area so we can get it prepped for the plumber before the summer construction season kicks in. The new vanity could be put in before the rest of the painting was done if need be. I want the bathroom done before we start on the garage ceiling, and that might be happening in the next couple weeks if the weather warms up.

No snow here yet, but high winds. Forecast is still for a storm. I'm hoping not. We folded the camper down last night anticipating the wind, and it's good we did.