2019 Stash Management - Page 44
Page 44 of 194 FirstFirst ... 34414243444546475494144 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a busy day ahead and I’m getting a very late start. It won’t help that it will be interrupted by a grocery run in a couple of hours. I wasn’t going to get groceries but it’s about time another big cook in, probably next week, and I wanted to get one of the sale hams. Of course the list grew from there, but I should have everything I need to fill the freezer with meals again. I have loved that and should have switched to that method long ago.

I’ve hit another irritating speed bump in life’s road. When I was putting my new insurance card in the car I saw the registration I have is expired. I was certain everything was up to date and hope this is just a matter of not getting the certificate there, which would be as dumb as having it actually expired. Anyway that’s got to be fixed ASAP so it’s a trip to the dmv Wednesday or Thursday. Anyway after cataract surgery I no longer need glasses to drive so I need to get my license updated to show that. Sigh. So with one thing and another there’s going to be very little crafting a while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am taking a day off Tuesday and will work on the yellow flower quilt a few hours until I get tired of sitting at the machine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Terrible about the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. I'm not Catholic or a world traveler, but it still feels like a loss. Construction started in 1160 or so and was more or less completed 200 years later. Anything that beautiful and that old deserved to live forever. Prez Macron is promising to rebuild.

Nothing done on the bathroom again today. I'm procrastinating again. Must do better.

We have rain turning to snow ATM. Still better than a forest fire.

I installed the second grow light in the baby greenhouse. Our garden seedlings are loving the first one, so it should be twice as nice for them now. I sure hope it will help us buy less garden plants at the nursery.

I found a smaller clamp-on magnifying light when I emptied out the bathroom cabinet to move it. I don't want it to clamp on, I want it to sit on a base. I happened to have a floor lamp base that I could modify to work with the lamp and it does, but it needs to be heavier in spite of already being weighted. I'll figure it out. I was going to buy one but don't want to if I can avoid it. I may be able to mod the articulating part too, since it does not need to be as tall as it is. If it did not extend so far, it might not tip. Will give that some more thought, but I'm very determined to make it work. Those magnifiers are expensive and besides, if I bought one then I would still not have a use for the clamp light. Worst case, I could wrap 10 pounds of log chain around the base.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have so much to do and I basically haven’t done much of anything. I’m calling quits for the night. I did cull out some food from the fridge. Only a couple except for the vegetable drawer. I had bought a lot of produce just before I got sick some time ago and just didn’t fell like dealing with any food prep that required work. I haven’t been to the grocery store since then, until today, so I wickedly just let the stuff stay there. It wasn’t pretty when I pulled it out while ago. I hate wasting food, but I’m giving myself a pass on it this time. I really could not have done better. Except maybe tossing it before now. Ick.

I can get some things done in the morning since they won’t start until afternoon, but I think I’ll need to have them just help put away stuff as much as clean. I want to change out a couple of tables and move one of the pantry shelves, and I have a few things for them to haul up to the attic. If we can get furniture squared away, and regroup from the cluttering that will cause, if the can clean the floors, the high shelves in the fridge, and the stove hood I will call it a grand success. One of them will also take the culled books away.

Someday there will be fun crafting again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished skein #6-ish on the w-b afgan last night. Started skein #7. It's coming along, although longer than normal since I'm using fingering weight yarn for this one. I've been doing some crocheting in the morning before work since my computer is in the shop getting fixed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Worked on the yellow flower quilt. 3 more flower blocks to go, then have to figure out quilting pattern for the side borders and fill-in triangles (this quilt has blocks set on point.) Current/old machine not acting great, reminds me I need to fiddle w/ the "newer" Singer I brought home and decide what needs to be done to get that one sewing well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyone is getting things done but me, although I was finally able to get into my main email account. First time in about a month. I'm so sick of fighting with that account I'm thinking of switching everything to one of my other two accounts with a different company. We have some of the worst landline phone service in the country, and that's our only option for internet except for expensive satellite internet.

No painting or even cleaning the ceiling for me today. Husby dragged the ladder in for me, and I'm hoping I can use it on the high parts if I don't unfold it. The worst will be the spot right over the toilet because I can't get close enough to the corner to reach. I'm sure I'll figure it out. Not looking forward to it, that's for sure. Probably one reason I'm procrastinating so much. Once I get going on it I probably won't have a problem. Things seem to work out once I start a project. The starting is always hard though, it seems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My friend and neighbor, who are sisters, came about 2 and everything flew for about 2.5 hours. I’m tired and they did all the work. It’s going to take me some time to get it all back together after moving tables and shelving units around and I’m not looking forward to that at all. But that most needed cleaning got cleaned and things that needed to be moved got moved. Some things went to the attic, all the trash went away, as did donated stuff, and the end is in sight.

After I finish with the house I will do the big cookathon I shopped for yesterday, and then, finally, I hope I will be officially off duty for a while so I can get back to the hexagons. While all this actual work is hanging fire, i just can’t settle to anything. So I will probably spend downtime’s mostly working crosswords and other word puzzles and other small time killing pastimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished my embroidery design. I just need to figure out the backing. It will most likely be a layer of felt. I am not sure if I want to cut it as a square or a circle.

I used my new DMC and presencia thread to finish it. Looking closely I can tell it is different from the thread I started with. But from a distance it is not very noticeable. So I think it will work to mix and match.

I am doing a small thing next. I traced a picture from a learn to draw book for kids. This will be a test of the tear away sheets I got for embroidery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190416_174414640_1555452444786.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy your design reminds me a lot of Mexican embroidered dress I had long ago. It was on white cotton, a very simple dress shape and all the embroidery was on the yoke.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sigh. Looks like I'm going to be without my home desktop computer for a couple weeks. On one hand, I could use a little break from the electronics at home. On the other, the store contacted me yesterday stating that the repairs were 'complete' and I should pick up my computer. Thing was, the original tech clearly stated that the repairs would either take two days if it was a software issue they could fix in-house or two weeks if the issue was the part itself. Turns out the part was broken/defective and they have to ship it out someplace else to have it replaced. If they had told me that there was still an issue upfront when they contacted me yesterday, I would've been less annoyed. If the computer is not fixed when you ask me to come pick it up, then the order is NOT 'complete'. They did give me the 'option' of buying an exterior drive (the DVD/CD drive is the problem). But either way, it probably would've cost as much for that as getting it actually fixed. Of course, buying an entirely new harddrive is likely as cheap or cheaper than what I"m doing now.

I did get some writing done early in the evening then went home and got some crocheting done later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - that’s really cool (does “cool” show my age?) I really like the center with the concentric stitching.

Dircpa - that’s crazy. Fixed should mean fixed. I would be annoyed too. Very annoyed. The whole world would probably be a calmer place if everyone took an electronics break, me included, but the thought of no audiobooks is too appalling to contemplate.

I will have little to report except drudge work for a while. I’m not going to the dmv today. Between all the work yesterday and another storm system closing in I hurt all over. I will do some less taxing things in the house but no expeditions for sure. Since I don’t plan to be driving anywhere for the next week or two it can wait until next week. I may be able to do it online. I need to find out if that’s a possibility. If not, I go to the dmv in a town south of here. It is always quick to get in and out, not like the zoo that is the Shreveport office, so not a dreaded ordeal like it was when I lived in the city.

Last night I got almost the food shifted to a different pantry shelf, and today will get all the pots and pans and such on the shelves where the food was. I hope I can get the kitchen finished but that may be too ambitious. All boring stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dc - not being able to listen to my music in the evenings is the thing that's been getting to me the most. I have a lot of Great Courses lecture series DVD I haven't watched yet but those I can watch on their website. Another reason I like The Great Courses. I only have access to the topics I"ve ordered but at least I have those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think "cool" is still in, but I am probably not a good judge of things like that. At the very least I think people know what it means even if they think it is dated. When I was in grade school we had a school librarian who would use old slang, like "the cat's pajamas." Of course none of us had heard the term before but from the context it seemed to be something good.

I feel like the embroidery has kind of a 1960's feel. The design combined with a brown background. I tend to like 60's style stuff. I was born in 68, so it is not like I have memories of living though the 60's.

I have started on the simple pocket doll. I am using a pattern from Delilah Iris. The first doll will use the same felt I used on the embroidery piece. I ordered some more felt to use for dolls. It is a variety pack with mostly brown shades. I am not sure till I get the felt in whether it will work for dolls. Some might be a touch too reddish. Most shades of brown will work for skin tone, but not all. There is one sheet of "oatmeal" which might work for a fair skin doll. Today or tomorrow I will tea dye a small scrap of the white fabric fabric to see if I can get a decent skin tone from that. I am not trying for a completely realistic skin tone, but I do not want to use pure white for skin tone.

Generally speaking it is somewhat easy to get felt or fabric that works for tan skin or brown skin. Getting something that looks okay for a fair skin tone is sometimes tricky.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I began feeling better late in the evening so I got a little done. By today with the weather system sitting overhead and raining the pain has greatly eased so I should be able to make much more progress today. I got the work table mostly cleared and figured out where to put the empty containers that have been piled on it. Today the priority is getting all the office supplies gathered up and organized on a newly emptied bookshelf. Some supplies were there but some small appliances mostly filled it. My rice cooker and normal food processor went to the pantry area, and the big crock pot and a large food processor were rehomed in the kitchen house. Little by little the house is getting under control again.

The freezer organization keeps getting pushed back but I want to do it today, see what I really have, decide what to cook for the freezer meals and move meats to the fridge to start thawing.

All that should keep me busy.