2019 Stash Management - Page 45
Page 45 of 132 FirstFirst ... 35424344454647485595 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool is still in. Groovy and far out, not so much, although I've seen groovy used a bit lately.

I grew up in the 60s and remember a lot of it, lots of the bad stuff like Kent State, MLK, Bobby Kennedy, Charles Manson, civil rights protests, Brown vs. Board, George Wallace, Tricky Dick, and even some scenes from JFK's funeral. God knows the coverage of Vietnam will never leave my memory. Horrible, the war and everything that went with it. The constant crap we are going through now triggers a lot of the same anxieties these days. Then there was the music. The 60s had some really great music.

I took apart some of the little greenhouse to remove a shelf to fit a tall grow light and got that all put back together and seedlings rearranged. I priced another grow light and decided to build one. I will be keeping an eye open for the right thing to use for a shade, which will support the whole light. I'm not in a hurry, and garage sale season is starting soon.

I cut a little replacement shelf for a knick knack 3-shelf thing I want to use in the pantry for some of the HM seasoning mixes I recently started making. About time I got that done. It doesn't match the 2 glass shelves but that doesn't matter for my purposes.

Not much done here today. Still procrastinating on the bathroom. Yeah, I do know how stupid that is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

kids still use cool. think that is timeless. groovy nope lol rain here too and allergies so really not much energy or desire to do stuff. did clean out veggie drawer for first time in long time. vacuumed it out. carless so got dh to take me to libraries and groceries. slow and steady something done everyday. though not today lol . last few squares to finish of crochet along so I can join them before mondays border. kitten was a stinker this morning scratching couch , fighting with other cat on the bed.

will bring a different crochet project to keep busy waiting while dd at art class.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Maybe I like the 1960's better for not having lived through them. That way I can focus on the fun parts like art and music and fashion. The nice thing about living today is that I have access to all the retro and vintage music I want.

I like a lot of old things, but I would not want to live in some of the past eras.

Sometimes it seems like the music and fashion of today are a bit boring compared to other eras. But I suppose part of that depends on where you live. Most people here dress on the plain/conservative side. Of course it is office workers, not some music festival. Maybe other people somewhere else are wearing interesting things.

On the other hand, because of the internet I can see interesting fashions outside of the mainstream. And here interesting music outside of the mainstream.

There are lots of bad stuff out there, but there has been bad stuff in every era. It puts it in perspective a bit.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m glad I’m not totally antiquated, even though things I owned when they were new are considered vintage on eBay - lol. I was in high school and college in the sixties and was so absorbed in my studies I paid no attention to the news, didn’t listen to the music, saw pretty much nothing on tv. I would, of course, hear the big headlines, but the sixties mostly slipped by unnoticed.i would not be able to put together a list like SDs. A few of the items surprised me - “oh, was that in the 60s?” I have only the vaguest recollections of the decade.

I’m getting more stuff done today. The rain has ended for now, though there may be more tomorrow. We got .7” give or take. The ground is getting quite saturated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was a kid in the 60s, but my brothers were 5 and 8 years older than me, so they brought home the music starting with the Beatles when they first hit the US. They were also at the age where they could be drafted at the end of the 60s. My younger bro was deferred for a congenital heart condition, but I will never forget the terror when the older one was serving and we got word he was supposed to go to Vietnam. At the last minute they sent him to Germany instead, but it was hell in the meantime. All my brothers' friends that hung out at our house all through high school were drafted, and it was scary over and over again because they were like brothers to me, too. I remember how divided the country was over Vietnam, and how disgracefully people treated the vets as they returned, people spitting on them and worse. Sickening. The things I mentioned were just off the top of my head. If I really think about it, there's lots more.

I loved all the fringe on 60s clothes and the hippie styles. Don't think I want to wear bell bottoms and platform shoes again though. I still like macrame. There were some really cool macrame vests with long fringe back then, all handmade. Leather fringed stuff, too. I think the 60s was the last decade where people sewed and crafted and DIYed a lot of stuff. Thanks to ERA activists, so many women entered the workforce and didn't have time anymore for crafts so the time consuming handmade stuff died off. A lot of good things came out of the social upheaval in the 60s, even with the negatives, and that's what gives me some hope we will get through this current upheaval we're suffering with right now.

I got half the ceiling wiped down in the bathroom. That's about all I will be able to stand to do at one time anyway. I prepped the wall behind the bathroom door, too, because I want that done so we can put the door back on. At least we're started now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sewing kit is adorable.....thinking I could make some for my shoeboxes for the older girls....thanks....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a fair amount done on the house yesterday. I think, or at least hope, that I can finish that up today and tomorrow. Then Easter which will be all day at the kitchen house, followed by the great cook in.

I really goofed on that last grocery order. The Kroger brand herbs and spices were on BOGO, and all of mine are getting old, so I put a bunch in the order, being careful to keep even numbers. Then I checked an online site I have used before. The herbs are much cheaper, but holy cow, they wanted $23 to ship them. I think not. So back to Kroger. Check Amazon. Back to Kroger. Somehow in all of this back and forth and putting them on and taking them off the grocery list, somehow I accidentally ordered 2 of each instead of one. I could cook well seasoned meals for the army. At least the second set was free, but it still cost twice what I expected (bangs head on wall). I will be able to use up most of it, but unfortunately the two more expensive ones, ginger and paprika, are things I use only very occasionally. I have enough of them now for several lifetimes. The duplicates of those will be adopted out at Easter. Three that I use a lot weren’t available in the Kroger brand, so I’m getting them from Amazon- marjoram, summer savory, and ground rosemary. Those will be big quantities but it was definitely a better option than going to the really expensive grocery store brands. Ready to cook!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would not mind wearing a pair of bell bottom jeans. I sometimes see - online not in person - handmade bell bottoms. Well they are not completely made by hand. It is basically a pair of regular jeans the is altered. Just cut down the lower outside seam and sew in some fancy fabric. If you google DIY bell bottoms you get some interest pictures.

There was a brief bit in 1976 where there was some interest in "old fashioned things" because of the bicentennial. I remember that when I was kid (pre-teen) craft kits for kids were a big thing. I remember an aunt that made some doll clothes for me. But my mom was not into crafts at all.

While I agree that it is hard to find time to do crafts while you work, I think there is more to the story than that. Some feminists say unkind things about women they think are "too stereotypical" i.e. enjoy things like crafting and baking. This is starting to change now. In fact there is a whole group of women out there using crafting to make statements that are liberal and/or pro-feminist.

I am not sure if crafting is on the upswing now or not. It kind of feel like that, but I think it is partly due to the internet. For example if there were only 1000 people who quilt in the US, and over half of them posted on line about it, it would seem like there were a lot of quilters out there. But it would be a very small percentage of the population. [I am pretty sure there are actually more than 1000 quilters in the US. Then you also have to include quilters in other countries who are posting in English.]

So when I google for people doing various crafts I get a lot of hits. Even if it is a small percentage of the population, the number of people is large because of the population is really large.

Even though no one I know *in person* does embroidery, I see people on line that do it. It helps me to feel like I am not the only doing this.

I see a lot of people online that make or modify there own clothing. As a percentage of the population, it is probably far less than it used to be. But it can feel like a resurgence because I see it a lot. And there are people online who toss out terms like "the indy revolution" or "the crafting revolution". So maybe it is a thing after all.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My current mini embroidery. I am stitching on top a stabilizer sheet. The brown part is the picture I traced. The black are the stitches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190419_080956828_1555708319775.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finished quilting the 3 flower blocks. Need to figure out a stitching pattern along the side borders and triangles. I have some green thread I think will match well enough. I think I will buy some muslin for binding, it would match the flower background better than white. Or possibly a yellow print binding. I'll see what JoAnn has next week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I almost finished putting the house back together. I should be able to finish tomorrow. But I’m putting off the cooking for a week or so. I pulled out the remaining frozen meals to thaw and found several I thought I had already eaten. Also Sunday I will be sent back from the double Easter feast with lots of leftovers. There is going to be a regular Easter spread at noon, and then a barbecue for supper. My fridge is going to be too full to start major cooking.

So I will be able to get back to the hexagon next week. It’s sitting there on the bookcase taunting me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Altering jeans to make bell bottoms was so common in the 60s and 70s that ready made jeans were sold with triangles of fabrid already added. I made a few pairs myself. Of course, if the hems didn't drag on the ground, they weren't long enough.

Crafting now seems more like a leisure activity than it did back then. Sewing now is more of a hobby, for example. Then, women sewed clothing for their family to save money, mended things, knit or crocheted clothes or gifts, etc. Hobbies were more practical, less luxury.

Embroidery has always been popular, it seems.

I got the first coat of primer on the areas I'm focused on now. It's really hard to reach the corners over the vanity, so I will be relieved when it's done. I need to call the plumber next week to see when to do the rip and tear on the current vanity. Can't wait to see that go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When my friend and neighbor were here Tuesday they saw the crochet baskets I’ve been making and really liked them. They were astonished I had actually made them myself. That was good news since some of the ones I’m making are Christmas presents for them - lol.

As I said last night I’m pretty sure I can finish the house today. With the end so clearly in sight it will be an incentive to push through it an get it’s done. With all the clutter from the stash organization, culling the books and moving most of them, and then the flotsam left adrift from moving tables and shelving units, complicated by the weather doing such a number on my arthritis, it’s been pretty overwhelming. No matter what next week needs to be my official spring break.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I’m glad I’m not totally antiquated, even though things I owned when they were new are considered vintage on eBay - lol. I was in high school and college in the sixties and was so absorbed in my studies I paid no attention to the news, didn’t listen to the music, saw pretty much nothing on tv. I would, of course, hear the big headlines, but the sixties mostly slipped by unnoticed.i would not be able to put together a list like SDs. A few of the items surprised me - “oh, was that in the 60s?” I have only the vaguest recollections of the decade.

I’m getting more stuff done today. The rain has ended for now, though there may be more tomorrow. We got .7” give or take. The ground is getting quite saturated.
    I know lol yes think some decades have better music and fashion or some better left behind like the 70s fashion esp for men lol There was a year end art project display at the uni that dd has art class. one project was the 80s cassettes, vhs movies, novels of the time tv w vcr playing old news records..said to dd look it is our basement lol don't think they appreciated it but seriously the 80s aren't ancient. or at least that is what I am telling myself.

teens do dress more bland is seems then my day the 80s yes more coloured hair but doesn't seem bright with all the dark colours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

working on my crochet along ..putting the blocks together.. screwed up and had to make another one. going to musical today w mil..hopefully she will be ok. not on the right antibiotics so loopy. told the kids not to mention friends because she is on that there friends are drug addicts. always drug addicts when she is loopy. joys of lewy. singing in the rain matinee. they do a really good job there.

the last week of crochet along monday so it is the border so plan to get the squares crocheted together.