2019 Stash Management - Page 46
Page 46 of 194 FirstFirst ... 36434445464748495696146 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

JoAnn stores are closed today but the web site has free shipping......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Green thread is working out for the quilt, sometimes my machine balks w/ old thread. I found lightweight yellow fabric (old) in stash that I'll use for the binding. I'm going to double it due to the weight. That will give me a nice fold on the back side when I turn it over. Looking forward to finishing this project. Not the best job I have ever done but it is hard doing a full size quilt on a regular machine. I figure the top itself is probably 70+ years old if the story my sister told me is true. My grandmother died before I was a teenager. My dad is 90.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

dircpa - thanks for the JA note. Before the store here didn’t seem to have RH super saver, but looking at the site I see it apparently does now. However I picked up a two large ombré skeins, and two bags of regular size super saver that I want to use in the baskets for the Christmas presents that are not available here. Others I can get here now. Since they liked the big ones so much the other day I’m going to make those for them. Or probably one small, already made, and one large. However between the baskets I’ve made and all the scarves I am running low on variegated, at least the favored colors I want to use for them.

When I got home from the feast I picked the the hexagon and worked on that a bit. I’m a bit undecided how to finish it. It has ended up being unplanned and has awkward spaces. I doubt you remember but I decided after I started it to switch from the hexagon tutorials and use another book to work with. That didn’t help. I’ve about decided that instead of doing much embroidery on it I will use larger and easier elements just to finish it off quickly. Partly because it was started so long ago it feels stale now and I want to move on. Partly because it feels so disorganized. Another problem there is that I have not been able to layout any guidelines on the black. It hasn’t been an easy color to work on.

This is where I am now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-49696daf-605c-4775-9d0b-819a897b4085.jpg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sigh. Still working on skein #7 on the wool-blend afgan. But this weekend I was out of sorts. I've gotten so used to using my computer for both music and DVD's. Part of it was also just wanting to get outside, now that the weather's finally getting nice, but it still be too uncertain (rain-wise) to stay outside.

Then again, while the w-b afgan is coming along (it's now down to the floor), I may need to put it aside to work on other projects that will likely go quicker, if only to see progress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dcompton,

The hexagon looks pretty finished to me. Although I suppose you could squeeze more embroidery in. Is the goal to fill all the space with embroidery?

For writing on black fabric, I sometimes use tailors chalk. It come in two colors, blue and white. The blue is good for most light and medium fabrics. The white is good for dark colors and blue. Tailors chalk can be fairly easily wiped off most fabric. (Test on a scrap first.) That is both good and bad. Working with the fabric can sometimes make the lines smudge or disappear if you are not careful. If you have a box of colored pencils, I find that white or light yellow pencils can show up on black or dark fabrics. The lines are fainter and harder to see than tailors chalk. They do not rub away so you have to make sure to cover them.

I also have a white pen that makes a bright, somewhat thick line on dark fabric. I general only use this for tracing shapes I will cut out.

I am working on my tiny unicorn embroidery patterns. Someone of the internet said that tear away stabilizer is the best thing every for embroidery on felt. I respectfully disagree. You trace the pattern on the stabilizer, which is thin enough to work great for tracing. Then you baste the stabilizer to the felt and embroider through both layers. Then you tear away the stabilizer. It sounds good in theory. In practice little bits of the stabilizer stick in small enclosed space and tight corners. It can be very hard to get out. Furthermore, it tugged a little at my stitches when I tore it away. I had to adjust them back into shape.

I wound up ordering a light box on Amazon. I think it will work okay with white felt. I will also play around with freehand drawing on felt. I will use the wash away pens for light fabric and white tailor's chalk for dark fabric.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My little unicorn in progress. Technically an alicorn since it has wings.

The first picture is with the stabilizer. The second is without it.

I plan a lighter shade of purple for the edges of the mane and wings. The body will stay white.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190419_080956828_1555948474937.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-img_20190422_114838087_1555948485547.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - have you seen the book Folk Embroidered Felt Birds? I was going to post a link but couldn’t figure out to get it from the Amazon app. I thought of you when I saw it. I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday and was just poking around to see if there was anything new and wonderful. I even considered it. I’ve never made anything stuffed but it looked like fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welp. My computer's finally on its way to getting fixed. At least this time, the techs got it right - they reached out to me in order to move forward on the repairs. I got the feeling that the second tech last week just wanted to get the computer off the shelf. Definitely didn't read the notes or even the account. But I'll clear it up at the store when I pick it up. Right now, the 'track status' link is a wonderful thing. I sure didn't want to buy an external drive, which would've been just another piece of equipment in my apartment as well as being a temporary fix.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got the second coat of paint on the wall behind the bathroom door and put the door back on, finally. It's going so slow in there, but at least it's going. The ceiling is about half done. The walls are maybe a quarter done, but a quarter of what's left is the shower which has very little wall space, and then the vanity and the large wall mirror above it, and a wall cabinet take up some more. Next area of attack is the nook where the vanity is. Once that's done I will call the plumber. I can't wait to get the new vanity out of the living room! Then I can rearrange the LR.

Husby stapled up all the vents in the garage rafters, the first step in the ceiling project out there, so that's started now too. We want to get as much done as possible before it gets too hot.

Today I'm tidying up and trying to get stuff put away. I've been distracted by the bathroom project and some other things and the mess got away from me.

We opened the camper the other day to discover, by accident, that there was water under all the stuff we have stored under the dinette. That included our shower bag with towels in it, another bag with more towels, bag with sweatshirts, the K-9 Cube with dog gear and snacks, IOW a bunch of stuff that should not get wet and stay wet. I opened the adjacent cargo door which houses all our power and water gear and found that wet, too. Luckily that was all either plastic or stored in plastic, so easy to clean up and dry out. The soft stuff all had to be brought in and washed and/or hung up to dry out. Luckily we caught it before the weather got warm. Nothing was moldy or even sour. But it was strung out all over the house so I got that packed up again today. We can't figure out where the leaks are. The only thing I can think is around the cargo bay hatches, but they look okay. All 3 doors are showing water damage but only the one bay had water in it. It's a frustrating mystery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ugh that sucks spirited hopefully you can find the leak. love your unicorn kathyb. just have been working on my crochet along blanket. last week and the border pattern is out .. the blocks looked better apart. calling it my ode to the 70s blanket lol dh is ..well there are uglier ones I saw online that people posted. used the purple to join because didn't know what the border would be and only have so much yarn. but I think the olive green or variegated one would have been better. limited yarn left of purple so that is why I did it. will use the variegated on the border. was reminded why I don't do small squares! don't like joining them. 2019 Stash Management-blk.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Binding sewn on 1 edge of quilt, working on the 2nd side. It is looking better than I expected. This was a medium-thickness batt and still seems very puffy to me. Next time I'll look for low-loft. I had dental work today so not feeling like doing much.
    2019 Stash Management-img_0941-2-.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Binding sewn on 1 edge of quilt, working on the 2nd side. It is looking better than I expected. This was a medium-thickness batt and still seems very puffy to me. Next time I'll look for low-loft. I had dental work today so not feeling like doing much.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0941 (2).JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	48601
    lovely ! cute dog too

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The quilt turned in really good. It is pretty and it looks pretty cozy and fluffy.

Martha, part of learning a craft is getting an eye for what colors look good together. Or rather what colors look good together for you. I have known two people in my life - one of them is my mom - who believes that *anything* goes with purple. I like the ode to 70s name. Just smile and say, "yes, that was the intention."

I am pretty sure I have the bird book on my Amazon list. At this point in my life, the amount I have to spend on craft books and supplies exceeds the time I have to actually do the projects. I like my job reasonably well. But I would rather be retired and have more time to do crafts.

The shades of brown felt package has come in. Several of them look like they would be good for dolls, including one sheet that would work for fair skinned dolls. I have another that is a kind of golden tan that I think would work fairly well. In my googling of felt dolls I saw some Pocahontas dolls that I think were made with that color. Some of the other shades of brown will work as well. But a few of the browns were very reddish so they would not work for dolls.

I am sure I can get two dolls out of each sheet. I might be able to get three.

I was thinking about how people have not labeled art supplies and craft supplies as flesh or skin for quite a while. (Because skin comes in lots of shades and the "skin tone" materials only applied to fair skinned people.) But looking on the site for Over the River Felt, I see one color that is actually labeled "nude." It is more pinkish that what I have. But oatmeal and beach sand both look they would work for fair skin. Camel and cinnamon look good for tan skin.

I suppose I could always make dolls with purple or green or blue skin. I could call them fairies or something. After all, I have done bears in colors not found in nature like pink, green and blue. I have an old book where someone has made fabric dolls with pattern fabric.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last night I pulled out what I want to use to finish the black hexagon. It’s mostly buttons, beads, and more of the flowers, but a different shape. I hope I can get most of that done today. Then I have to figure out how to finish it. I think I will use fleece and a plain black backing. That will fold up over the edge to the front to finish the border. I think I may have put stuff too close to the edge in a few places so that step may be tricky. It’s all just part of the learning curve. Since I’m not quilting it I’ve puzzled over how to secure the layers. I think the best way will be to sprinkle a few more seed beads here and there, stitching through all the layers to tack them in place.

On the next one I will do all the flat embroidery first so I can work on a smaller hoop. When I get to embellishments it will have to go on the large hoop which is awkward to work on.

I will probably do a blue one next. I think undersea themes will be the most fun because almost anything goes for seaweeds and corals. I’ll be able to use some of the interesting novelty yarns for texture. It should turn out better since I won’t be changing plans in the middle. For this first one had I not done that, the spider web would have been smaller and more offset, and I might have had less awkward shaped spaces around it, which would have helped. Still, for my first attempt it’s gone pretty well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

An update on my work situation. I was doing extra work because of three vacant spots.

3 people were hired but.....
    One person quit for a better job after only a month here.

One person is nice and good worker. However, she is really over educated for her current position. I feel like the chance of her staying long is small. Many government job listings are only for current federal employees. So taking a lower level job so you can apply for higher level jobs is a smart strategy.

One person only worked here one day. She is now in the hospital with a serious medical condition that will require an extended recovery time. Assuming she does recovery enough to come back.

Admin jobs - what used to be called secretaries - can be hard to fill. It is hard to live in an expensive area like this on what admins are paid. It works for me because we live on my income plus my husband's income.

My next post will be on crafts or something more cheerful. I am trying not get burned out right now.
    KathyB