2019 Stash Management - Page 49
Page 49 of 194 FirstFirst ... 39464748495051525999149 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Iím dealing with a stash of kitchen appliances - lol. I bought a couple and a bit later was given another. It turned out to be very bad timing. They came just when I had taken the last frozen meals out to thaw and just at the time the leftovers began pouring in from all the celebrations. The last thing I needed to do was cook more food.

I was persuaded by SDís enthusiasm for her air fryer oven and I wanted one too. All I have done with it yet is toast once and some fries. The most impressive thing was reheating some deep fried sweet potato fries from some party or other. It made them crisp again and in the process cooked out a stunning amount of oil. Iím sold.

I also got an Instant Pot. Iíve had pressure cookers in the past but always found them rather alarming. It turns out this is a totally non scary pressure cooker. I only have a few days left in the Amazon return window so I had to try it to be sure it was ok. I did beans yesterday and have a chuck roast in it now, destined for sandwiches. I need to experiment with the beans. The preset made them softer than I like. Iíll have to figure out the timing. But thatís a success too.

Finally for my birthday I got a George Foreman grill. I havenít had one for years and years. That isnít used yet, but I finally got it out of the box yesterday.

I am now absolutely, no question, totally out of counter and table space. I donít have much and it has to be shared with the bread machine, small microwave, electric kettle for morning tea and an iced tea maker. If they donít stay out, they wonít be used. They will all be good additions to the kitchen though.

I got a good start on the beige hexagon. I am totally uninspired by it. I think when I finish that I will do a small felt piece that will be all embroidery. I have felt to try but donít have any wool felt. I may get a bit of to try too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished the little alicorn. It is only around 2 by 3 inches. This is an experiment with two shades of color for a controlled verigation.

I plan to hem the edges of my other embroidery today. Tomorrow I will do some on the felt doll.

It posted sideways. Just pretend it is flying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190428_143819887_1556477481979.jpg

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy birthday!

I have a Foreman grill, too, the kind with interchangeable plates. I go in streaks on all my appliances, just like all my hobbies. I will use the heck out of them for weeks or months, then not touch them for months or years, lather, rinse, repeat. The Foreman did allow me to get rid of four or five waffle irons, the sandwich maker, and some other small appliances.

I've been wondering how you like your new AF oven. I love mine but that doesn't mean anyone else would. There's a learning curve on all these gadgets but it sounds like you've found things you like. The AF is great for doing French fries, including homemade ones without all the fat. It cooks meats nicely too, just don't overcook. As I've mentioned, I like doing batch cooking in it for chicken breasts to have on hand or to freeze for quick meals.

Husby is busy working on the new raised veggie bed. I've been chatting with my buds on the camping forum and working out the kinks in the fresh water transfer idea. Husby and I spent an hour or so trying to figure exactly how to attach the water pump somewhere outside the camper and nothing fit, usually by a half inch or less. Very frustrating. We're going to install it semi-permanently in a cat litter pail, which we already use for fresh water stuff. We're hoping that will work so we can use the same space we've been using for fresh water supply storage. There really is nowhere to put another pail in the camper. Going this route will be the cheapest and quickest way to get a better water transfer method that eliminates having to lift heavy water jugs to pour them into the tank by hand. I will have to buy parts to build the power cord for the pump and a couple L fittings for the water inlet and outlet, plus some other little stuff. I don't much care what it costs. We've been very over dealing with five gallon water jugs for several years now. It will be a relief if this all works out and we never have to lift the dang jugs ever again.

I potted my six tomato plants, so they can be under the taller light now. I hope they don't go into shock. I planted them in peat pellets so they should be okay. I can't believe how well everything is doing in the little gh this year. It's been so much fun to watch it all growing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very cute, Kathy. Nice work!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the unicorn is so cute! got three plants at plant sale today. tree peony yellow, Canterbury bells and a hosta. not going to do too much because I am gone during the summer so the boys won't remember. there is a bunch of plants from the house torn down last year that still need planting too. lilies etc.

finished the crochet along except some weaving in ends. shopped at michaels new cotton cakes 30% off plus 15% extra coupon that day. plan to make a couple summer tops. 2019 Stash Management-cotton.jpg2019 Stash Management-garden1.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby is 2/3 done with the new raised bed, but it's supposed to rain and snow the next couple days. The new garden looks so nice I can't wait for it to be done. I've been saving some old windows for years to use as cold frames, so need to get those cleaned up and ready so we can try starting snap peas and beans right away. Our normal planting time is Memorial Day so it would be nice to get a head start. Hope it works, nothing to lose by trying. The sides of the raised bed are made of cinder blocks capped by 4" thick concrete blocks, so will make a nice passive solar collector. I love using concrete blocks for raised beds. They're heavy to work with, but completely maintenance free, practically indestructible, cheap, and comfortable to sit on for planting and weeding. We have to buy 6 more cap blocks, which will cost only about $7. I salvaged 2 identical cot springs a couple years ago to use for trellises. I think they will look fine, since they're matchy. Total cost for the project will be the 6 new cap blocks and dirt. The dirt will be costly. I envy people who can grow stuff right in the ground. The new garden will use up 24 cinder blocks and 18 4" blocks. We have a pile of them because we had a single wide trailer out here at first, and when that was moved away, the crew left all the blocks the dozens of blocks it sat on. We use them for all kinds of projects. We also are using about a dozen smaller red bricks under the front row of cinder blocks to level them. They're from a project that didn't get done and never will, so I'm happy we're using up a bunch of this stuff. We don't want to move it and a pile of concrete blocks would be an eyesore for potential buyers if we decided to sell. Now the bricks will be a feature and not a bug if we ever list the house.

Husby was all happy because we spent very little in March so CC bill was abnormally low. We're making up for it now. I have a long list of stuff at Menards and I'm not done yet. So much to do.

I've been looking all over for the webbing support I made for the inside camper shower. I finally thought to look in the folded shower curtains. There it was. * whew!* I think I have everything I need to finish that project now. I have to make some kind of support for the shower head and caddy, but I have some ideas. Shouldn't be difficult.

It doesn't seem like we're getting anything done, but every day there's some kind of progress. Better than nothing.

Still haven't sewed up the camper bedding. I keep forgetting it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done in my garden. Yay! And I do need to get rid of some DVD's that have been sitting, ready to go. I just need to separate them into smaller bags since the ones I have them in are overfull.

Finished skein #7 and started skein #8 on the w-b afgan. While it's getting frustrating to continue working on the afgan, it was nice to have it covering my legs while I worked on it. It's light since I'm using fingering weight yarn but warm as it's yak wool (and nylon). It was very chilly this weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This will be oven day in the Big Cook. It’s only supposed to get up to around 80, but mid 80’s the rest of the week. This will be probably be the last time I use it until fall. I hate having the oven on when it’s 100 outside. I have a big Stouffers lasagna, and I want to make some baked beans and a corn/tomato/hamburger thing I make. I usually make it stovetop but it’s better baked. That all go in the freezer. I’ll probably stick a few potatoes in to bake and may roast some carrots or bake some green peas and pearl onions. Whatever I can fit in. Other than that, I’ll just see what I get to.

Tonight I may be too wiped out to pick up a needle and just sit staring at the wall - lol. If I’m not still washing dishes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is what my today looks like.
    2019 Stash Management-20190429_110345_1556569845744.jpg
    2019 Stash Management-20190429_111432_1556569904710.jpg
    That was this morning and it's worse now. I just want to sleep.

Trying to get a list together for tomorrow. We're still trying to figure out the best way to get the new gh panels home in one piece, since we have to bring the dogs, too. We're taking the van and hoping the panels will slide in next to the wall.

I'm ridiculously excited about building the new water transfer system. It should solve one of the last big annoyances we have with camping. Another one of those things I should have done years ago, but I didn't think about using a 12v RV water pump till I saw someone had done a permanent install on their camper. We don't have room for a built-in, so I hope a portable will work. It should, and will be much simpler, quicker, and cheaper to make. It will be a major back saver.

Now if we can figure out a better gray water tank.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well SD, glad it's not me getting the snow. It was cold here this morning but will get pretty warm by mid-week.
    I finished the yellow flower quilt binding tonight. Thinking about the next "inherited" pieced top which is not as pretty. I'll post a picture if I decide to iron the top and proceed. JA has their quilt batting 60% off currently so it would not cost much to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - I wish I could send you some of our heat. Is it ever going to stop snowing there?

I got a lot done. Tomorrow I think I will just start putting meals together with what I cooked today, and washing the pans it’s sll in. I will need to do some vegetables too to go with them. Wednesday will probably be chicken, pork, and more vegetables. I’m too tired to think about the details.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This Sunday was cooler here, but not snow weather. This was the weekend I got my spring/summer clothes down. It is supposed to be in the 80's later this week.

I am feeling pretty overwhelmed at work today. Lots of stuff is just hitting all at once. I found at that the reorganization is scheduled to be implemented late summer/early fall. We do not yet know what the structure will look like or who goes where.

I am feeling pretty frazzled now. Hopefully it will be better in week or two once things settle down a little bit.

I worked on the doll a bit. Not quite finished. I have the main body, but she needs hair and clothing. The figure is bendable since it has pipe cleaner inside. But because of the oversized head, she tends to fall over when she is sitting down. It looks like I will have to display her leaning on something.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

love the A frame trailer. wanted a vintage one like that years ago but it was sold. at the moment we have a vintage tent trailer that needs some love. snowed lots of places in Canada too but not here. more up in the rockies. spring has sprung here ..love lilacs and they are blooming so put some in the house. at least don't bug my allergies. turns out someone had smoked in my car at one point. driving the sinuses nuts so put some old coffee in the car last night. hopefully helps.

need dh to move something so I can get to the shelves to help organize some craft stuff. I bought fabric in the states predone elastic . tube top style dress and skirt material for dd.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m more alive this morning than I was last night - lol. I think I’ll have to give in and turn on the a/c this afternoon. It’s supposed to get up to 86. It’s very humid air moving up from the Gulf. We’re promised thunderstorms tomorrow and Thursday.

My first job today is to pull all the bags of veggies out of the disorganized freezer and see what I actually have there. I think the only fresh produce I have left are carrots, onions and bell peppers. I want to make some sweet sour sauce that will use up the peppers and some of the broth and pineapple in the pantry. I also need to make rice. I have a couple of bags of brown rice in the freezer that I need to start using. I also have a lot of old apples I will use up cooking them with some pork chops tomorrow. In short, another busy kitchen day.

I did work on the beige hexagon last night and I’m liking it better as it becomes more developed. Where I had to go back and repair seams the fabric is no longer really flat so I’m considering what I need to do with that - try to cover it or work it to emphasize it and use the waviness in the design. Right now I’m leaning toward just covering it up if I can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, that did not go well at all. No cooking. I was slammed by the weather change moving in and could do nothing in the kitchen. The rain got pushed back a day, and I’m feeling some better so I’ll try to get more done today. I’ll just have to see how it goes though.

I got a section of stitching done on the hexagon but I’m going to take it all out today. The fabric has a crackle pattern and I stitched that with a variegated pink and don’t like it at all. I’m going to do it again in off white. That will help tie the fabrics together and just look better. The variegated adds too much extra busy-mess to an already busy pattern. It’s a distraction. It’s a design 101 mistake I’m hope I’m smart enough not to make again. Learning is ongoing - lol.