2019 Stash Management - Page 5
Page 5 of 131 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow! That’s a pretty afghan! I love the colors.

I made good progress yesterday but still it was mostly in places behind doors so the clutter does not seem to be appreciably diminished.

I decided that since I need to choose thread by color now rather than specific number I would take it out of the floss bobbin boxes and just use shoe boxes. That way I can put all the types of thread - floss, perle, blending filaments and such - together. That will make choosing threads easier and I’ll probably put threads away more promptly if all I have to do is toss them generic color boxes. I will probably still cross stitch a little this year and pullingbthread for that will be a right pain, but on the whole this will be more efficient for now.

Yesterday I finally got the fabrics I ordered from China. They were sold in half yards (18 x 36) for about 3.50 each. I bought more than I should have but I am happy I did. They are gorgeous, beautiful rich colors, great quality. Many of them have traditional dragon or phoenix patterns, but some fussy cutting and embellishing will keep it from screaming “Chinese.” Most are tone on tone or very subtle colors but as an afterthought I added two with a large bright floral pattern, one on green, one on purple. I’ll get a photo eventually but it’s guarateed not to do these fabrics justice. Going through them was like strolling through Aladdin’s glittering cave.

That’s almost the end of the huge fall of ‘18 stashing binge. I still have a couple of panels to come from here and a few more laces and ribbons from China that could come today or a month from now.

Today’s agenda - finish the threads. Regroup beads by color. Sort through bingo loot. We played bingo Christmas and NYear, and they went nuts with prizes. I was (fortunately?) very lucky the second night and brought home a big bag of stuff. Sharon was caller and determined to give every bit of it away so we kept going on every round towards the end until every game had three or four “winners”. There was still a pile left and the last game was winner take all. Little girl and I tied so I had to take half of that too. Lol. I will definitely get a picture.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That afghan is pretty. It's like a Lone Star quilt design.

Sounds like you're having fun with stuff, D. The Chinese fabrics sound gorgeous.

We drove over to the next town, but not to Hibbing. We ran into ice fog on the way and decided not to make the trip any longer, so I still didn't get to JA. I'm disappointed because, with GW disappearing, my idea of just letting the bear paw quilt happen based on the random fabrics I ran across there is over, too. OTOH, I do need to focus on angel gowns for a while. That will take a few weeks. It's not like I have nothing else to do.

We had very short shopping lists, but I wanted to get my sewing machine looked at. I expected just to drop it off and then go back in 2 or 3 weeks to get it. We planned our shopping based on that. We took the machine in last, and luckily the tech was in. He fixed it for me right on the floor, so we won't have to go back. That saves 10 gallons of gas. He stuck a pin between the tension plates on the top and popped out a big blob of lint, and that was the problem. I'm so happy! I was so afraid I would lose that machine. I had looked at the plates but couldn't see anything, but figured it had to be a tension problem. Then I tried to pay the guy and he wouldn't accept it, said he appreciated that I bought my sewing machines there and kept coming back for service. That was so nice of him.

We picked up 500 pounds of corn for the deer, so won't need to go back for a few weeks.

Didn't find anything for crafting. I did get a good sized bag of scrap yarn at GW yesterday though. I used up the scraps I had a while back, and now need some to make keepsakes to go with the angel gowns. I was eyeing the bag of yarn and waiting for it to go to half off, so it was nice to get it yesterday. It's mostly soft colors and lighter weight yarns that should make up nicely.

I just realized how we built up our craft stashes from our GW. When they opened 5 years ago, they sold stuff like yarn and crochet thread dirt cheap, and a lot of my knitting and crochet stash came from there. We've gotten a lot of cross stitch stuff there, too. And of course, there's all the fabric I bought there, too.

I got my new trash can cleaned up, which didn't take much, so that's ready to go. Still can't believe I actually found anything at all that will fit that little space, much less something that nice.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Really pretty blanket, martha. I bet she loves it.

Great find on the "trash can" SD! Sorry about the GW closing. I wonder if they transferred a lot of stuff over to another store to get rid of it faster. I know regular retail chain stores will do that to avoid having to put too much on clearance. I wouldn't give up on the bear paw because I'm sure you still have a lot of great fabric in your stash, and once the weather gets better you will be able to take those longer trips.

I've had some things showing up in the mail recently, things I helped crowd fund last year. A cookbook, some artsy postcards, and a few new resin models to build. I'm expecting some hand processed tea from Nepal "real soon". The customs process has been frustrating.

Spending today cleaning up. Putting some more christmas stuff away. Packed up my quilt club project for now. I've got ~18 blocks, so I could make a wall hanging, or take it larger, but not a lot more. Put my new fabric away. Cleaned up some in the basement.

It's 59 out. I meant to get out in the yard and pull honeysuckle. It's the only thing green so it's easy to spot this time of year. There's tomorrow.... it will only be in the 50's but that's still nice for yard work.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not worried about the quilt. It's just a little frustrating. There will be a reason to go to GR or Duluth and then I can get my stuff. I doubt I have what I need because the bg on the bear panel is a weird purplish blue color. Half the blocks and borders have to coordinate with it. The main color is a rusty brown the other half of the blocks have to go with, and I don't have that either. Or the background. Basically, I have to start with the blocks but don't have anything I need for them. What I do have is the mess I created when I miscut the 9 patch, so I need to figure that out soon, or it will turn into another Lone Star project that sits here 20 years. I can't start the bear paw till I know what to do about the 9er.

I'm also excited about working on angel gowns, especially because I have my 990 running again. It sits next to my work table which will be convenient.

I have plenty to do to keep myself amused. 😁

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today will be more of the same. I never imagined this would take so long but I should know by now that for reorganization with lots of fiddly little stuff I should estimate the time I expect it to take and multiply it by about six or seven. It’s important though to get this done so I’m staying with it and deferring the real fun until it’s finished.

Yesterday I got to the beads and expected to be just rearranging the tiny containers in their trays. Piece of cake. Wrong. It went that that for a while and then I got to the tray with the shapes - triangles, bricks, squares, crescents and such. They were sorted by shape, not color. Oops. That really slowed things down. It shouldn’t take long (that is, long x 6) and then I come to the larger beads. I know there will be some re-sorting by color there, but that will be much quicker than the seed beads. I never sorted the small batik scraps so I’ll try to do that today. I think that will be the end of the really time consuming stuff. I hope after that it will speed up and be mostly just putting stuff away. I am prepared to admit this may be wrong.

The two fabric panels came yesterday so the only part of the hoard yet to come is the bits of ribbon (2) and lace (several) from China. There is also one tool on its way from Australia. It is a set of stencils that was so expensive I feel some actual guilt for buying them, but they are so cleverly designed they were irresistible. They are less designs than design elements to combine in endless patterns.

I’m moving learning free motion quilting from this month to farther down the road. I just want to start playing with all my cool stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think GW is moving their stuff out yet, CH. They're still taking donations anyway. Maybe someone will decide it's a good time to dump thier fabric stash.

I hate sorting little stuff, D. It never seems like I'm getting anywhere. But the up side is I can store a huge assortment of fun stuff in a small space.

I've had a good day so far. I got the 990 set back up in its space. Haven't sewed on it yet though.

I finished up with my clear patterns for angel gowns, which got interrupted by the power outage the other day. Then I sorted through that folder and added another folder to keep stuff more organized. I ran across a pattern I had saved for those little plastic canvas crosses, tried it, hated it, so I modified the pattern to make it smaller and easier and cheaper. I like it now. I thought I had more 1/8" ribbon but it looks like I need to buy some.
    2019 Stash Management-20190106_134006_1546806519909.jpg
    I cut a bunch of my scrap canvas into blanks to cut into crosses, so those are ready to prep. Somewhere I have a package of small safety pins to use for the crosses. It's been drifting around my work table for a couple weeks, but of course now I can't find it. These crosses will go with the baby gowns as mementos. I need to make some flowers and hearts so parents can have a choice.

I messed with the 9er and I think I have it figured out. I made the 12 triangle in a square blocks. All the pink and red checked blocks are done for now. I haven't decided if I will make the quilt with all pieced blocks, which will take more blocks, or finish it off with borders instead. I will figure it out when I get that far.

I dumped my old trash can into the new one and was happy to see it holds the same amount. I plan to keep the big one I brought in from the garage, too, since it also has a lid. Still can't believe I found that. Sometimes I think there must be something wrong with my brain that I can look at a commercial tea dispenser and see a trash can. Weird.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think those embroidery templates might be the same ones I have my eye on. Are they the ones from pintangle?

I plan to start on embroidery this year. I have dabbled in at in the past. I also did cross stitch for a couple of years back in the late 80's. I still have some thread from it. It is old, but I do not think thread goes bad.

I have seen some really nice cross stitch out there, but I feel more drawn to free form embroidery. I also like how it will let me use what I have. For example, a flower would just need something green for the leaves and something flower colored for the flowers. I remember the frustration with cross stitch of having lots of thread, but not the exact ones I needed.

I fought with my sewing machine yesterday. I thought it might be broken, but it turned out it was just a bad spool of thread. I put a different spool in and it ran with no problem.

I was able to finish a simple drawstring skirt.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice afgan, beautiful colors.

Finished skein #6 and started skein #7 on the wool afgan over the weekend. So far, I'm about halfway through skein #7. I ended up not doing much on Saturday. That's probably a good thing since I have plans for next Saturday, if the weather holds. Next Saturday is an open hearth cooking class at a historical site near me.

I'm glad I picked up the two extra skeins for the wool afgan. It definitely looks like I'll need them. Good thing is the afgan covers my legs, especially since the temps are dropping again. I was thinking of putting the wool afgan aside to work on the wool-blend afgan for myself for a bit of a change. But since I promised this wool afgan for someone else, I'll keep at it. The wool-blend one is for myself and I can take my time on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Embroidery floss sometimes rots, Kathy, but not quickly.

Good going on the afghan, Ren. Those are good winter projects.

I stayed up till 2 AM cutting out little plastic crosses. Don't know why. I just wasn't tired. I will probably crash and burn this afternoon. I remembered a kind, thoughtful soul here at FV sent me her unwanted ribbon stash when I started making angel gowns. It took me a while to recall where I had put it, in a separate storage container, neatly organized, clearly labeled " baby gown ribbons", and stored in plain sight on top of the sewing room shelving. :duh: I kept it separate from my private stash, since it's for the babies. Anyway, I was happy to find I have 21 reels of the correct size ribbon to make the crosses. It's a big help to me and I thank that thoughtful person again.

I also found a picture of angel ornaments made from a wedding gown. No pattern, but making a pattern would be fairly easy. I like that idea for keepsakes, too, and I will have plenty of scraps left from making the gowns.

I thought of a couple more little tweaks to my work table area. It just gets better and better.

It's going to be a busy day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ha! SD - I win the why in the world am I doing this now competition. I was sorting buttons at 3:30 am. I don’t expect the afternoon to go well either. Lol.

Kathy - yes, they are the Pintangle templates. I briefly scanned through the ebook files that were sent when I ordered them. So many pattern ideas! I think they’re going to be great to work with. I’m thinking that embroidery is probably going to become my major craft. I did a little when I was a little girl - the typical 50s silly transfers for kitchen towels - kittens doing chores and such. In high school I did a lot of pictures with satin stitching. My best friend was a jaw droppingly talented artist who provided patterns. In later life she studied archaeology and was site artist for archaeological digs. I love cross stitching but it will be great to be freed from a pattern.

Today more of the same. Make that “long x 10”. I’m going to cull a lot of old buttons that realistically I will probably never use. Several years ago I bought a big lot of buttons on eBay. They were about half and half five star and one star, with some middling ones. No point in keeping the one star variety. It was still definitely worth what I paid for it, especially given the ridiculous price of buttons now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This reminds me of an interesting piece I saw on line with embroidery and buttons. Google "year of stiches and buttons"

I am thinking of making something similar. I have lots of buttons.

I made some cashew butter in the blender today. We have been using up some of our food stash. We have been down to getting just fresh fruit and veggies and using things from the freezer and cubbords. We have been eating pretty good. This week is gumbo with beans and biscuits.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We did the same with food during the state lockout here a few years ago. That's what freezers and pantries are for, after all.

It looks like we got about 5" of snow from the storm, followed by rain. It's still raining, more of a mist. Just enough to slick up the roads tonight. It's 36 dang degrees here right now. In northern Minnesnowta. In January. I hate this warm weather.

I tweaked the 990's cabinet today and created a mousehole in the top, so now the foot control sits all the way down on the floor. The way it had to be routed before wasn't good. I also added a hook for the scrap catcher. It was buttoned to the sewing machine mat where it was in the way. Both those are small but significant changes.

Finished cutting the crosses.

Cooked 20 pounds of chicken for dog food and got that ready for the freezer. It was .99 last week. The turkey chubs I usually use were $3.85/lb. I'm more than happy to save almost $60 on 2 batches of dog food any day of the week.

I poked around one of the totes with baby supplies but can't find the vests I had started. I might have tossed them because they did not fit the gowns they were supposed to. Luckily I have a big selection of bridesmaid gowns in various colors to make more vests.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Should have said the cord for the 990 foot control was rerouted, not the control itself. Although now it can sit in a different spot, where it belongs and functions better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks! finished a granny square cardigan too. just need to take a picture. bought more yarn in the states on sat mostly lion brand woolease..new colours lol not that I needed more. sunday helped a friend learn basics of crochet which was more dont' try learning new things with the kids around because you need peace to learn lol mistakes happen when dealing with kids etc.
    still have the all the sorting of craft stuff to do downstairs. some xmas stuff down. enjoying the first day at home alone besides cats. 2019 Stash Management-49822850_10157389604732971_6212015211151360000_o.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the button project.

Sharon Boggon is the creator the templates. Google her name for images to see some of her work - and way down there are pictures of the templates. I can only aspire to such beautiful work.

Page 5 of 131 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast