2019 Stash Management - Page 51
Page 51 of 194 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101151 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

not motivated today. but don't have to do much. got a bunch of plants from green house ..cheaper then retail. don't look fancy because they haven't fully bloomed yet so lasts longer. mixed planters in buckets half price 7.50 because who knows didn't water. a couple hanging baskets of geraniums one for my mom for mothers day, one to separate for couple of planters. they are pretty big. and a couple mixed hanging baskets all 10 bucks each.

thinking of planting seeds in raised bed but have to figure out how to keep the cats out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's been a busy day here.

I went out early and got the window cleaned and reassembled. It's all ready to go now. I'm very happy with it.

Husby went to get the fiberglass out of the van where it was sitting safe and protected, and I remembered the broken door pocket on the driver's door that has been held on with a fraying bungee for at least a year. I nagged for years that he shouldn't put heavy tools in that door pocket, so it annoyed me the inevitable happened and it broke. I figured if I refused to fix the damn thing, he would, but NNNNNOOOOOO!!! Every time the door was opened, it hung up on the door frame so we had to pull the door open far enough to reach in and move the pocket, putting even more stress on it. I'm surprised it hadn't broken off completely. Anyway, I used some zip ties and deck screws to reattach the broken part to the steel in the door frame, easier said than done. I can't say it was fun pre-drilling all those screws and then having to reach in and line up the screws using the braille method, but it's done now and secure again. If he puts tools in it again, I will hurt him.

Still have to see how we can reattach some of that stupid plastic trim on the doors, and also attach the rocker panels under the door, since the steel under them rusted away. That should be interesting, but the duct tape Mr. Fixit installed is falling off now. I hate duct tape repairs. Too tacky even for me.

The van has been Husby's work car for years, but it has less miles on it than the truck. It was our tow vehicle till 2010 when we went to the mountain west and wanted more horsepower, but in order to save miles on the truck, we're going to reconfigure the van to use for the dogs again and for shorter camping trips. I want to get it back in presentable condition, even for just driving around town. NO MORE STINKIN' DUCT TAPE!

Once I got the door pocket fixed, I started on the 2 new panels for the gh. Luckily no drama ensued, except it took me a while to figure out what saw to use. I tried a couple different things with the circ saw but nope. Then I put a fine blade in the jigsaw and it was like buttah. After that, it was just a matter of working through the steps to make the panels, since they had to be pieced. Then of course the old ones had to be taken out and new ones put in. Overall, it wasn't a bad job. I hope putting in the window goes as well.

Husby did some maintenance stuff while I worked on the van and gh, with breaks to help me as needed. We got a lot done. We need to quit being so lazy and work like that every day.

Needless to say, we never got to filling the garden with dirt. Maybe tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a badge lanyard from a strip of quilt fabric that was too narrow for much else. I did cut a dozen quilt squares.
    I cut a long rectangle from a strip of suede-type fabric (has a sort of brushed nap) to experiment with making a belt. I have a lot of buttons that would work nicely. Need to keep looking for stash busters projects.

Nice to see CH posting again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I feel like spending all day in the kitchen would not be a bad thing compared to working at a job all day. Even though a good portion of our food is homemade, I would like to be able to cook more things. Well right now, my husband does most of the cooking. He is a much better cook than me. I run across lots of things I would like to try. But I have such limited free time, they wind up in the "maybe later" or "after I retire" bucket.

I get annoyed at the motivation writers and speaker who say "don't want for retirement to do the things you want to do, do it now." There is usually a "make time for what is important" tossed in there. There does not seem to be any acknowledgement of how little time and energy is left after working, commuting and doing chores.

Well onto my crafting update:

I am making good progress with the little felt doll. I have the hair done and I am working on the outfit. I hope to finished soon. The combed yarn for hair technique had mixed success. I started by trying some yarn to a sturdy metal hair pin. Then I combed out the yarn with a pet brush. I got far more of the yarn on the pet brush. The closer I got to the proper texture of yarn tied to hair pin, the more yarn winded up on the brush. So I wound up just sewing the combed out part to the dolls head. On the one hand, the hair looks really good. But it is not long strands. It is more like short strands held together mostly by friction. It feels like a gentle tug could take out most of her hair. I have tacked it down around the top and back of the head. But the hair going down her back is not in very secure. If you have ever seen the fiber they sell to people who spin their own yarn, this is a lot like that.

So even though it looks good, I do not think I will use the technique again. I am a bit puzzled at all the people who seem to have used it successfully. Maybe different yarn work differently? The hair was originally going to be dark brown with some yellow highlights. But the yellow yarn did not work at all. It just looked like bits of string when I combed it out.

When I think about, the stringy bits from the yellow yarn could work for doll hair. But they are a completely different texture from the brown combed yarn, so they do not work well together.

I am now thinking about the cheap silk thread from China I see on eBay. They are sold by the hank, not a spool. They seem to be very thin. As far as I can figure, about the same as one strand of the 6 stranded embroidery floss. Something like this might work for doll hair.

I can also experiment with hand unraveling yarn or pearl cotton. I could also try some of the cheap pearl cotton I got as doll hair. Or I could buy some of the cheap embroidery floss to use. I think for some plastic canvas angels I made around 30 years ago, I played around with unraveled yarn for hair. Separating the two or three plies of yarn gives a yarn with a wavy look.

I feel like unraveling yarn and thread could be a good fidget activity to keep my hands busy. I could put some in my pocket and play with it while waiting for the subway.

I had a couple misses starting a new embroidery project. I will talk about that later. Maybe after getting it to work.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Saturday I finished all the freezer cooking but left another huge mess in the kitchen. It’s still there. Yesterday I didn’t feel well, just general blah ness, and dozed often a late breakfast, wiping out the morning. Then there was the big party that wiped out the afternoon and wiped out me. I just couldn’t face it last night. So today is another big cleaning day.

The party was for little girl’s first communion, with lots of relatives and friends coming from down south in Louisiana and over from Texas. During lunch some of them stayed outside and others gathered around the big table - Tagalog Central. The English contingent, local friends and neighbors, settled in the den type area. The Filipinos all speak English, but in groups revert to native language, as all of us would. After the meal as there was more mixing it all went back to English. It was definitely a tiring afternoon for this hermit.

I finished most of a scarf from the second Fair Isle color I picked up. I have seven or eight inches to go. I also did a little, very little, on the hexagon. Some flower making centers couched down and further secured with a button. At this rate it should be finished in a year or two.

After I finish in the kitchen I need to clear off the work table, if I feel up to. Tonight I will finish the scarf and work more on the hexagon. It supposed to start raining tomorrow night and then rain for the rest of the week, good crafting weather, so I’m going to try to get the essential housework done by then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes what you learn about what doesn't work is as valuable as learning what does, Kathy. And there's always a learning curve. Your technique will improve as you gather more info through experience.

D, I'm so envious. There are about 3 things I miss about living in south Minneapolis. One is the diversity. We lived in a majority minority neighborhood with black people whose cultures and accents came from all over the US and the world. There were also a lot of various Asian people who came from all over the world. Different cultures had different festivals at nearby parks and other venues, so we got to enjoy and learn from attending lots of interesting events. I still miss that. I would have loved to be at your gathering to listen again to a different language being spoken and to learn more about another culture. It sounds like such a fun event.

I went out to work on the gh window and about the time I dragged out all my tools, I noticed it was sss... ssssnnn... oh, hell, it's May 6th. I can't even say the word. It's ridiculous. Since I can't go any further without removing the last panel, and I can't have a giant hole in the back wall in case the sss gets worse or turns to rain, I won't get the window in today. About the time I got the tools put away, Husby showed up and we commenced tidying up the greenhouse. It had some UFOs and a bunch of stuff that didn't belong there that got shoved in for winter. Also the salvaged drawer collection is there because it has nowhere else to live ATM. Husby cut the damaged parts off the legs of a steel shelving unit we salvaged a couple years ago, so we could finally add the extra height and remaining shelf to the undamaged half of the unit. I rounded up small fridge drawers to use on the shelves and organized a bunch of gh stuff. We moved out stuff that didn't belong and purged a few things. The gh came with 4 identical chrome shelves about 4x2 feet. I've been trying to figure out how to use them and when we came across a set of steel bed rails I had planned to use somehow for shelves, it clicked. I set the rails on the cross pieces of the big table and then set 2 of the shelves on the rails, zip tied the whole works together, and Bob's your uncle, all done. It didn't take 10 minutes, including having to go to the garage for the zip ties. I love it and we already moved in, because we needed storage for empty pots so they're up off the floor now.

I have to rearrange the gh due to losing space for the window. Not sure what that will end up looking like but it's something I have to think more about.

It's frustrating not to be able to work on the window, but the sss squalls have to give it a rest sometime.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hello again. It's been a while. Have not been doing much. I connected with a local quilt guild and have been doing outreach/charity quilting for them, using my stash and theirs. Then last month my machine started behaving badly and no amount of fiddling has fixed it. So it went in for service 2 weeks ago. I was hoping to have it back after vacation but they told me it could be another 3-5 weeks before it is ready, due to so much backlog. Sigh.

If I get desperate I can dig out my grandmother's machine, which is in fine working order, but I have not used it in decades and it sews differently... but I don't have any current projects going so...

There were two quilt shows recently, I bought stuff.

2019 Stash Management-dscn0961.jpg

2019 Stash Management-dscn0962.jpg

The neutral fabric bundle was half price because one piece was missing. It was a good deal and I can always use neutrals. The plaid in the 2nd photo matches some other plaids I have, from a previous bundle, and I got a couple FQs for $1 each. The cat fabric speaks for itself.

2019 Stash Management-dscn0977.jpg

Someone was unloading their batik collection at the used fabric shop, these were about $1 each.

2019 Stash Management-dscn0976.jpg

Oh, look, more neutrals. The shiny ones are for costuming. I really should start a project.

I'm getting more into beading. Bought some stuff at the spring gem show and made one necklace. I don't have pics of anything yet. I'm planning to make a few and see if they will sell on etsy.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So happy to see you back, CH! Good scores on the fabrics. I love the cats.

I had a thought about the gh, so rearranged the furniture. Now there's room to add another 3 ft table and the other 2 chrome shelves. We'll need a ton of space for all the tomato plants I hope will thrive in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hurrah! CH is back! Missed you! ditto SD on the fabrics, but that’s a bummer about you sewing machine. You could always cut a boatload of fabric to be ready for projects.

And hurrah for me! Every dish is washed and put away except what I used for supper, the kitchen table is cleared, things were returned to the pantry, all the garbage/trash is gone, all the countertops and appliances are cleaned, the stovetop is cleaned, and the worst of the floor is swept. That was more than enough for the day. Tomorrow morning I’ll finish sweeping and mop the floor. Tomorrow I will also at least dust mop the rest of the floors and clear my work table. Then I am off housecleaning duty for a while, except for the little day to day things. Thirty minutes tops. I deserve a few days just to entertain myself.

I’ll take a few minutes to wash the supper dishes then it’s time to finish the scarf.

SD - sorry about the sss. That stinks. I’m astonished at our cool weather. It got to 86 today, about as warm as it’s been, and the rest of the rest of the week it’s supposed to be no higher than 80. Usually we’re into the 90s by now. I’ve onky had the a/c on for a few hours a couple of afternoons. Usually it’s on full time by mid April at the latest. It’s a pity this won’t last.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I forgot to mention your sewing machine, CH. I hate not being able to look back at posts while I respond from my phone. I hope you get your machine back soon. I would be lost without mine.

The forecast for tomorrow is for sun, so I hope we can finally get the window in and the dirt installed in the new garden. I don't think we're going to have enough dirt so I'd like to find out. There's some other work that needs to be done on the gh and its furniture, too.

The counters on the gh tables started out as a chunk about 12 ft long, with a sink cutout right in the middle. We got it at a rummage sale for $2, and to get it home, we cut it at the sink cutout, leaving some tabs sticking out to make it easier to cut to size later. Being us, we never got around to doing the final cuts once we got it home. It didn't matter the way the tables were sitting before, but now the tabs are in the way, so if I can find the jig I made for cutting counters, I need to get the counters cut tomorrow, too. And maybe the chrome shelves installed so they aren't clutter anymore and can be used, finally. As long as I'm dreaming, I may as well add building the new table, too, but I think if I get the window in and the counters cut and the shelves installed, I will be done for the day. Husby can deal with dirt while I play with power tools.

It feels like the gh is turning into what it should be now. It's going to be so much more functional. We're getting some of the upgrades done and the little UFOs caught up so they're not laying around. The window and new table arrangement feel like when we put the floor in, like a huge leap forward toward getting the gh the way we envisioned it could be. It's not a garage ceiling but still progress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome back CH.

Someday I would like to live in a place with easy access to quilt shows. Although right now I am drifting more into embroidery than working with fabric. I would still like to make a full sized quilt someday. Maybe when I retire. Year ago I went for a full sized quilt with my first quilt. But many of the squares did not turn out, so it was more of a baby blanket quilt. It became a cat quilt since one of my cats became very attached to it.

I have successfully done two days a row of the "sew or embroidery a little everyday plan." That breaks the previous record by one day. I am on a roll. I sewed up the edges of a little scrap of fabric I have embroidered some flowers on previously. I am going to toss it in the mothers day card I am sending. I actually managed to sew up the edges on the metro (subway). I was only able to thread a needle when it came to a stop though. And I did a few more minutes of hemming up the flower mandala embroidery.

For the next embroidery project I wanted to use yellow thread on navy blue felt. Since the regular disappears when wet ink does not show up on it, I used tailor's chalk. I have used it successfully to trace pattern pieces I was cutting out. However, it smudged quite a bit when I tried it with embroidery. It just is not going to work. Maybe it would be better on something that is not felt. At any rate, I will go back to using the tear away stabilizer even through I am not thrilled with it.

I was really temped to order some hanks of silk thread on eBay for dolls hair. But I go through so few craft supplies I am tempted to just go with something I have on hand. I think it might be different if I was making lots of dolls. But at my slow crafting rate, it will probably only be a few. I untwisted the cheap pearl cotton I have. It could possibly work for hair. I have one ball that is a yellow/brown variegated. I think that color could make good doll hair. When I tried to tease the strands apart with my fingers it did not work. I tried brushing it with a regular brush. (I did this little experiment on a break at work so I did not have a pet brush.) It just fell apart. I have not tried playing around with yarn yet.

I feel like I need to use up some supplies before I buy more. But I use them at such a slow rate...

I suppose I could revisit my fabric stash and rethink if I still think I will use things. Especially the recycled fabric.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome back, CH!

Been working on my w-b afgan. Almost done with skein #8-ish. I should have it done either today or tomorrow. I've sort of slowed down on the afgan since the weather's been nice. I've also started back up with the week 'day' writer's group as well.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You guys sound like you are keeping busy with projects. Kathy, maybe you could find a smaller amount of silk thread or yarn on etsy. Sellers there often sell in smaller portions.

Congrats on getting so much done on your greenhouse, SD. Sounds like it has been a big project.

Glad you got your place cleaned up DC. Have fun making it messy again!

I finished my christmas embroidery back in March, framed it, put it away and forgot to get a photo. I am working on some quilt blocks for a monthly exchange, using this pattern:

2019 Stash Management-dscn0970.jpg

I've done 3 months now but probably will not get to do May. The block is a lot of work and it takes me a couple days to make it. As I said, I've started beading, and have found some good deals recently on sale and on clearance. DH gave me a bead board for christmas and I am learning to do things. I want to get into wire wrapping.

Name:  DSCN0985.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  31.4 KB

Latest fabric acquisition. These boring old fashioned florals were going for $1 at the quilt show (or 12 for $10) and I bought 4-6 FQs of each print. Combined with a pink, blue, or green print it should be enough for a quilt top.

Name:  DSCN0991.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  31.6 KB

I've been working on a quilt top for the veteran's housing project, mostly scrap blocks, but recently found some solids to use a spacer blocks and make it look less chaotic and more pleasing. No photos yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-dscn0970.jpg  

Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, two days in a row on an every day plan is actually pretty good! I keep coming up with those do a little every day schemes and I’m almost as good at it as you are.

I am totally uninspired by the current hexagon and it’s making it hard to work on it. The hexagon itself is blah and I am getting tired of red, which isn’t a favorite color to start with. I am ready for it to be done. Maybe I’ll just pick out some space filling embellishments and call it good. The next one up is blue with a green after that, doing them in the order I made them. For those I think I am going to do the seams in a way that will emphasize the different patches and get on with just working with new embroidery stitches. I’ve been so scattered lately it seems that tackling a bunch of new stuff to learn just wasn’t in the cards.

I started another scarf last night with a skein of striped yarn I had no business buying, but I loved the cheerful color and at $2, I just indulged myself. Maybe I shouldn’t have gone yarn shopping when I had been staring at red on blah that had become an ought to do rather than a want to do project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm exhausted. But the window is in! I've had nightmares of pulling out the old panel and the window not fitting, but it's perfect. If it was 1/4" wider it would not fit, so I am very, very lucky. It was just a random window I picked up somewhere cheap when I was going to build a gh. It was also the only nice window I had, being brand new and in perfect shape. Anyway, I still have to cut a little fiberglass awning to go over the window to shed rain, but I know my limits and now is not the time to be messing with power tools.
    Here's the after pic. It looks so nice now with new fiberglass in the whole wall.
    2019 Stash Management-20190507_143050_1557258840543.jpg
    Everything for the window itself came from stash, so no cost. The 3 new panels were $60, but had to be replaced now because the 2 beside the window would be hard to put in once the window was in. I am not counting that cost because we planned to replace damaged panels this year anyway. One of the 3 was in bad shape. The other 2 will replace some others that are cracked and pitted and on our hit list. We also used the old top section that was in the peak to replace one of the broken roof windows today. Big improvement.

Here's the inside. We like the new table arrangement. I found my jig and cut off the sticky-outy chunks of countertop that were hanging out in the aisle and grabbing our clothes every time we walked by. Much better now. The gray shelves on the right are the salvaged ones we repaired yesterday. We added the top shelf for more storage. I'm not doing the shelves under the tables now due to other priorities. The little wreck of a table under the window is something else I salvaged. I was going to use it for something else, but it really is in terrible shape. I can make it solid again and it will work just fine to hold the box fan when we need it in there, even though it's not pretty. I love freebies!
    2019 Stash Management-20190507_143222_1557259859604.jpg

Here's 1 of the gaudy butterflies we got last time we were out of town. The other 1 is purple. I love them too.
    2019 Stash Management-20190507_143311_1557260240015.jpg

So happy that window is in and almost done. I've been thinking about it for years and worried how to do it and how it would work out, and it went a lot better than expected. It will make such a huge difference in being able to control the temp in the gh.