2019 Stash Management - Page 52
Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby also installed the top row of PVC pipe placed horizontally across each panel, which needed to be done long ago. The panels are all held in with the factory clips, in theory. But in reality, a 5 mph wind gust will pop them out completely if the gh doors are open and wind gets inside. Very poor design. The PO had put little sticks in but they looked terrible and kept falling out. We had PVC we bought for a project for the motorhome that never got done, so it was a good use for that and turned out nice for the gh. The wall panels are completely secure now. Just one of many upgrades we've done to the gh, with more to come.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished the edging on my embroidery and have it hung up.2019 Stash Management-img_20190508_074706256_1557316047436.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is much easier to post form my computer. But it is easier to post pictures directly from my phone. I figured out by accident how to the picture to show up as part of the main post. So occasionally, I might do a short post just to get a picture in followed by a longer one latter.

I keep thinking about the yarn/doll hair thing. (Much better than keeping thinking about politics or work issues.) If it was just some random idea I came up with myself I would give it up as something that did not work. But multiple people online have gotten it to work for them. So I know it is possible. This weekend I might watch some you tube videos on it. I will also experiment with using different yarns for them. One person posting used a fine tooth comb instead of a brush. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Some people have also been using the brushed yarn for doll reroots. That is when you take a doll with a Barbie style head and put different hair on her. If you look closely at the doll heads you see that there are little holes in the head where the hair is attached. It is possible to gently pop the head off and replace the hair. I have never tried it but I have seen stuff on it online. It is also possible to have replacement hair as a little wig.

There is a whole community of crafters out there specializing in personalizing commercial dolls. Generally these have the fashion style dolls. It is one of those things that looks fascinating that I would like to try sometime. I have also seen personalized my little ponies with hair reroots.

I saw a lady yesterday in real life with yarn hair. A lot of African american ladies around here have small braids or twists in their hair. Sometimes other color hair will be woven in as an accent to the braids or twists. Common colors include shades of brown, blond and red. At the bus stop I saw this lady with thick hair twists in shades of tan and brown. It looked a little bit like yarn, but some ladies have a hair texture that is a little like yarn. I did not want to stare, but by chance she sat right in front of me on the bus. I got a a close up look at her hair. It was definitely yarn. It looked like the exact same yarns I picked out for my shades of brown lapghan I never finished. I was really surprised by how nice it looked. It did not look cheap or tacky. She looked just as good as the other ladies with similar hair style.

I did not get take a picture because that would be a little rude. However, if you google "yarn hair twists" you will see some cool pictures.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost finished with skein #8-ish on the w-b afgan. I might have gotten it done yesterday but ended up working in my garden for ~half an hour. Either way, the afgan's slightly over halfway done now. It's coming along, even if only slowly. I will likely have it done by the fall when it'll go back to being cool enough for a blanket but not cold enough for the pile of blankets I prefer in the winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn’t get any of the remaining housework done yesterday. Storm system moving in again. The floor will wait and I’ll gradually get the table cleared. I can probably do that today in small bits. The rain should begin soon. Yesterday they were showing us on the edge of area marked for 5+ inches. I hope we don’t get that much with the ground already saturated. I haven’t seen a forecast map since, but all the precipitation forecasts for the next four days have dropped across the board by about 20% so maybe the heaviest bands are shifting to the south a bit.

I finished the scarf I was working on and pulled out the yarn for the first basket. I’ll get that started today. I need to make four large ones and probably one regular size one. One of those didn’t turn out as well as I would like, so I’ll probably just keep that one. I would actually like to get them all started. The bottom is an increasing spiral and requires some counting. Once I start up the straight sides I just need to keep a marker at the beginning of the row. I would like to get the counting behind me. That may be what I do today.

I finished the hexagon. Well, I say finished. I filled up space with wooden buttons. I have one small area that looks too empty, so I may put something there. Before I start another I want to get the backing on these two so I can see how that works. If it works. I need the table cleared off for that.

I may though mostly crochet the rest of the week. I would really like to get that part of the Christmas presents finished and packed away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, your embroidery turned out nice. The blue variegated in the border adds a lot, IMO.

Husby had an appt this AM, so I spent the time crawling up and down a ladder. Hate that. But there is rain and more sss moving in. I really wanted to get the little rain bonnet done to protect the top of the gh window. I recalled yesterday we had some corrugated aluminum meant to join a regular roof to corrugated fiberglass roof, so of course it matches the shape of the new panels. It's probably the best thing I could have used, and luckily I had some. I used it to make a little shed roof over the window so the top of the window won't leak and the tops of the frame won't get wet and rot. I used some aluminum Eternabond tape we had left over and just taped everything to the wall. It doesn't look too bad, but more importantly, won't leak. Good to have that dried in before the storm hits. Now the entire rear wall has been completely replaced and upgraded.

It was nice to walk out to the gh and see the window was still there and I didn't just dream it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the embroidery is very nice! worked on one of my crochet projects at moms group. one of those easy carry light ones stacked blocks afghan. since the vet was by fabricland who is having a sale..lots of clearance fabric and sales. so looked...got some stretchy lace that I think I will make a simple nightgown out of..was marked down to $ 6 a meter. so got 3 meters. was thinking of getting some of the xmas fabric for a vintage style fifties dress like the ones I got on sale on boxing day. all the quilting xmas fabric was marked down cheap. 2019 Stash Management-lace.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Working on mods to existing items. Re-size mom's old shirt to fit me. Re-size queen flat sheet to fit double bed. Need to put together boxes of stuff for donation pick-up on Tuesday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished skein #8-ish and started skein #9-ish on the wool-blend afgan last night. I'll probably not get a lot done on it over the weekend since I have all-day plans on Saturday. The same goes for the next few weeks. Not sure about Sunday. It depends on whether or not the coffee shop is open. It was closed for some reason last Sunday. I did go to the Paneras where the writer's group goes during the week but it was too distracting with all the people coming and going. Having all the other writers there makes it easier because the whole table is filled up with one group, rather than individuals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Very quick check in because I’m saving phone battery. We lost power just before 4 yesterday afternoon. No idea when it will be back on. Last I heard this morning still 65,000 without power. I hope soon, but who knows? We’re not high on anyone’s list, the downside of country living, and there’s at least one pole snapped in half not far from us. Sounds like major repairs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope you get power back soon. No doubt mutual aid crews have been dispatched, so maybe it won't take too long to get power back.

Get a car charger for future emergencies. Charging a phone from you car battery wouldn't draw much power and would allow you to keep tabs on alerts or other important news. Our power company's site lists outage locations and estimated repair times which is useful. Maybe yours does too.

The sun deceptively came out so we decided to dump dirt in the new garden. Of course it started to rain a little but we kept on. We got the dirt in and the compost spread on the top, and then it started to pour. Punt! At least we're that far along. All that's left is to spread out the weed cloth, attach the trellises to the poles, and buy and install mulch. It's starting to look like something now! I can almost taste those snap peas already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope you get power back soon.

So today I tried another brushed yarn hair experiment. I tried little pieces of lots of different yarns in different brands. The results were similar to what happened with the brown yarn: I wound up with most of the yarn coming off on the brush. This weekend I will try watching one of the videos on it. Maybe loosing most of the yarn is something everyone gets, but they just don't mention it? And I feel like any doll created with this would loose more hair if you combed it.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Power company finally came up with estimate if restoration - 10 PM tomorrow. Sigh. I just hope it’s no worse. I have a car charger and would haves used it but was ok so far. But neighbors are going to Sharon’s after while for showers so they are taking my phone and portable charger and a small lamp to charge for me while they are there. We lose the well with power outage too. Eventually will get a generator there. Sharon is at Walmart getting ice for all of us and is picking up sandwich supplies for me.

The battery on my generator is probably dead. I haven’t tried it. Birds are a high priority for me and there is a nest of swallows about 10 feet from it. The babies are about ready to fledge and I don’t want them panicking from the roar and leaping out before they are ready. I want no bird splats on my carport. I also do t want the parents so freaked out they would abandon them. I’m getting along fine without it. Just camping out for a bit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you have a plan to get through, D. I hope the power is back before you expect though.

This afternoon I'm suddenly obsessed with creating some kind of storage between the front seats in the van. Pinterest is exactly zero help. I'm thinking about something involving a salvaged fridge drawer or wire freezer basket, and some plastic containers like repurposed milk cartons and cat litter jugs. I have to figure out what needs to go in that space. All I know is we just started using the van for general purposes again, and the mess between the seats is already annoying me. I'm sure I'll think of something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Itís starting to rain again, but we got none during the day today. Yesterday the leading edge of the front was fierce. I know of one tornado over the border in Texas. We were in the warning area but given its location and direction the track was too far west to affect us. Donít know if there were others - that was the only near enough to generate earnings. We avoided some of the rain which was weird. For a bit radar showed moving through the Shreveport area and Mansfield south of us - weíre about half way between - but we were in a little magic oval the storm was flowing around. It wasnít too long though before our time out was over.

In that last round of reorganization there was obviously some disorganizing going on too and emergency supplies were scattered. It took a long time to find the flashlights. Thatís not going to happen again. Iíve started another crochet basket, smaller, for them. It will hold the small lanterns, flashlights, a small battery powered fan, and all the batteries. Of course they all use different sizes. I have nothing yellow in my house so Iím using odds and ends of yellow yarn. It wonít be pretty but will be easy to spot wherever it ends up.

This could all be much worse. Itís a very pleasant temperature so Iím not freezing or being broiled alive. I didnít join the trek to the showers. Since I donít have to go anywhere or see anyone I can just be grungy until we get the well pump on again. The neighbors were quite late getting back because they were washing work uniforms too, and the most direct route has a closed road so going anywhere is a long roundabout drive. The closed road is necessary to get to the interstate. However eventually my phone came back and the portable charger got about half charged, so I listened to audiobooks again tonight while I crocheted. Life is good and I love how quiet it is will all the house electrical things silent. Outside is not quiet. The frogs are having a grand time.