2019 Stash Management - Page 53
Page 53 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DC Excellent idea to put a bunch of emergency supplies in one basket. At least you would have flashlights to find the rest of the items needed.
    Finished re-tailoring 1 shirt - shortened sleeves 2", took 5" off the bottom, took in body 3" and changed the buttons. Sounds like a lot of work but I did most on the sewing machine. I tried on more shirts and found 1 that just needs the bottom hem re-done (I like a straight hem w/ side vents as needed. This one has a curved hem so I will re-do.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope your power comes back soon, dc. I have several flashlights throughout my apartment and it's only a small place.

Got some work done on both my story and the w-b afgan last night.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC hope you get your power back soon and aren't under too much duress in the mean time. Thanks for the reminder that it IS tornado season and we should all be prepared. A couple years ago I bought a big package of mini flashlights. You have probably seen the small bright colored aluminum ones they often sell at checkouts. You can also buy them in packs of 6-10 at a time. So we have them all over the house, one by the kitchen sink, one by the back door, one in the bathroom, several at each computer desk, etc. They are also great for checking under furniture and under the desk when something comes unplugged. I put one in each car.

Baby wipes are handy to have around when you have no running water and need to maintain basic hygiene.

Did some cleaning in my sewing room this morning. Had some swap mail come in while I was on vacation, that needed sorted. Found some halloween and christmas stickers to put away. Fabric needed ironing. I'm doing a fabric swap with word prints and one of my recent finds was some Harry Potter themed fabric. I'm not a big fan or anything, but it fits the theme. Then one of the cats got herself stuck behind a book case. I'm already thinking of my next halloween costume, or really my costume for the Labor Day weekend convention. I want to do a mermaid or a sea witch. Probably nobody wants to see a fat middle aged mermaid, lol! I noticed that "beach" theme decor is hot this year, but nobody seems to have any fish net.

I uncovered my chainmail project and may do some work on that while my machine is out. If I just keep plugging away at it one day it will be done.

I picked up a vintage blank book on ebay. There's a particular kind that I like to journal in. Unfortunately it was written in on the first several pages and I will have to remove them. I'm waiting on some archival book tape so I can do the repair properly.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sure this is TMI, but in case anyone else needs an idea for an emergency toilet, I will mention it anyway. I have a fancy shmancy Thetford Porta Potti Curve in my cabin, since we don't have running water out there. We also had a smaller less fancy PP in our first popup camper. I tried to sell it on our garage sale but no one needed it, so it's been sitting here. I finally decided it's perfect for power outages because it's smaller than the Curve and easier to carry from storage in the cabin into the house and down to the septic to dump. So it's no longer on the list of things to sell. Both PPs are part of our preparedness supplies now. In case anyone thinks a PP is too disgusting to deal with, I will just say I'd rather dump the PPs than clean a cat box any day of the week. Much easier and no bad smell.

Today we got the trellises installed in the new garden, repaired the salvaged fan table frame for the gh and added a salvaged top, made a holder from a scrap of 6" PVC to store plant stakes, added a small broom rack in the gh, removed nails from some salvaged boards, and sorted and put away or trashed more than half of the big pile of salvaged stuff out in the yard. The blocks used in the new garden bed were in that pile, too, so we've made a lot of progress on that pile lately. Most of it belonged on the rack I built from old dock parts last year, which got done too late in the fall to get stuff moved. I can't wait to get the pile moved because then we can start laying out the garden area and the last section of boardwalk, the fence, and some other things.

We're not getting the garage ceiling done, obviously, but if we don't get a fence up around the garden, we won't be the ones eating our food this year. Things have to be done in a certain order, so we have lots to do yet. Not the least of which is finally getting the lillies of the valley moved. That's going to take a while by itself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The little aluminum flashlights are the ones I have. A set of four of which I found two and stopped looking. They all had specific places to be but they had drifted off site. I’m blaming it on the wind when my windows are open. Couldn’t have been me! That’s just carelessness on my part. I’ll eventually find the other two.

What I miss most right now is hot water. How spoiled we are! I’m also tired of sandwiches that a good portion of the world would be thrilled to have. Sharon, an angel of mercy, is this moment on her way out here with Popeyes chicken. Of course, I could have gone to town myself to get some, but they probably take one look at my hair and refuse to serve me - even at the drive through - lol.

The estimate is still for us to have it back on by 10 tonight. They were seen actually working in our area early this morning. The broken pole had been fixed but I’m sure there is lots more beside that, certainly branches down and most likely trees as well, all of which can cause damage and obstruct progress.

I also miss my lift chair working. I don’t use the lift to get up, but the foot rest of out of commission. A non-recliner recliner. I need to see if I can find some kind of battery backup. Fortunately I was out on the porch when the power went off so the footrest was down. It’s a royal pain when it goes off when I’m in it. People would pay money to watch me trying to squirm out it. Our power has never been out for more than a few hours so it never mattered much. This is effectively showing where the flaws are in my prep.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Better to find flaws now than during a worse situation.

Husby was just out playing Man vs. Rock and the rock won. That sucker must weigh 300 lbs. He dug down a foot all around it and then we both sat down and tried to push it with our legs. The rock just laughed. It's not going anywhere. He dug out a bunch of basketball sized rocks that were in the way, but that didn't help. Ugh.

We went out to measure some screen room panels I salvaged years ago, and to discuss possible locations for the chicken wire room I want to make from the panels to grow plants in so the blossoms don't get eaten off the zucchini and the eggplants don't get stolen in the night. We came up with an idea, so Husby attacked the rocks even though we probably won't get to that project this year. I think the next time we have the dirt guy come to grade the driveway we might have him bring a few yards of gravel to bury the sticky uppy rocks and smooth out the area. The screen room would be 40" x 200" in front of the cabin. We could get a lot of pots in that space, even with big plants like zucchini. That project probably won't happen for a year or two though. But since we know where we want to put the screen room, now we can lay out the rest of the area. That helps a lot.

So darn much to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

POWER’S ON!! O Electricity, I missed you!

I had a laugh this afternoon. While I was out in the car getting mail and charging the phone, I decided to drive down to the pond since I barely see it from my house. There are a couple of drums there they use for burning barrels, and they had some bags of garbage/trash in it. We don’t have trash pick up here and the truck hasn’t been working to take it to the dump. There were four or five huge turkey vultures there. Two were perched on the barrels lifting up the bags and dropping them on the ground, at least as deep as the could reach in the barrels without falling in. The others were tearing them open and rummaging through them. What a hoot. They had already made the mess so I just watched them. I passed on the info so the neighborhood dogs that still visit regularly wouldn’t get blamed for the mayhem. We can be our own dump - we already have the vultures!

Apparently there was another tornado much closer to us. The snapped pole was probably related to that. I have no idea why I didn’t get a phone alert on that one.

Life is back to normal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea for power!

When we lived in town, we watched a flock of ravens raid the Dumpster across the street at the Moose Lodge. Hilarious! I fully understand why you sat and watched.

Today's wildlife adventures here started when I heard strange cries up in the sky. I looked up to see two bald eagles dancing with each other. I never get tired of seeing them. Later there was a loon right off shore, so gorgeous. Still later, we had a deer grazing nearby. And of course we had squirrels and chipmunks around all day.

Wildlife is fun, as long as it isn't trying to kill us or our pets or intent on becoming a hood ornament.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, this may sound wacky, but I have seen it mentioned a number of times on documentaries. You can break large rocks by building a bonfire under/next to/around them. It is how ancient warring nations destroyed the carved monuments of defeated enemies. I wonder if you can do that with your big problem rock. Are you allowed to burn on your property?

DC, glad your power is back. Hope you have a comfortable night.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

glad the power is back on! we have been lucky here 10hrs at the most and that was from a big wind storm where lots of people were without power for days. on a good transformer ..well other time car hit it. one year next door neighbour came over for help from dh for his electronics. all got fried basically...he was didn't you get hit and no power during the storm..what are you talking about. well lightening hit the transformer they were on and the rest of the block. how we found out we are on a different one. didn't even get a flicker. dh has a thing for flashlights so we have lots. turkey vultures would be fun. only crows and raccoons here. though more in the mountains blk bears. we get lots of eagles now near the landfill..seagulls fed on the landfill and eagles get the gulls.

we have lots of rocks here esp when old houses are knocked down and new one w basement suites which are basically underground big windows w window wells. they water blast them apart got my big one from construction guy next door. but now I see people keeping them for natural playgrounds and landscaping. would be $$$$ if you had to buy them from garden place. 2019 Stash Management-18341916_10155661850162971_3285774601364771307_n.jpg2019 Stash Management-18425097_10155661849897971_5104262176871121279_n.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep, that's a big rock!
    Worked on the black skirt last night (basically a tube with elastic at the top.) Sewing machine started jamming again, it is so picky about the thread. This is a new spool of thread on top and in the bobbin so I dunno. Found another cotton knit top that needs to be shortened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We can usually have fires here but there are size restrictions without a permit. It occurs to me just now we may be able to move it using a hydraulic jack. We don't have to move it far, maybe a couple feet. Part of the problem is that particular rock pile happened when our dirt guy removed some of the overburden to clear the site to build our garage, so it's all big rocks there. Uncover 1 and there are 5 more in the way. I will mention the hydraulic jack idea to Husby in case he wants to try it. I think he's taking it personally that the dang thing won't move. There's another one right next to it that can't be moved without moving the other one first. Both are ankle busters that would be right inside the door of the screen room, so it's a problem.

The rock in question isn't as big as yours, Martha. Rocks that size and larger are very common here, being we live on the Canadian shield. I've been in houses here where one rock takes up half the basement because it was too large to move and too expensive or dangerous to blast, so the foundation had to be built on and around the rock. I find it creepy but everyone here knows how much some BFRs (big f'n rocks) freak me out, especially the underwater ones just offshore where our dock is. Some are as big as small cars and just barely underwater. Rocks on land and not in buildings don't bother me. Weird, I know.

All the rocks are a big reason it's so difficult to garden here. Forget running a tiller. Everything has to be in raised beds or containers, and the soil is poor, too. That makes gardening expensive too, because we have to buy dirt and build raised beds. It's a challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M - thatís a cool rock. I love big rocks. Louisiana is not much blessed with them. Wrong topography - no glaciers, just big rivers. It makes gardening a lot easier though.

We have no squirrels. They were all around the last apartment complex in town and I miss them. With thick woods across the street our place holds no attraction for them.

I finished the yellow bag last night. Instead of making the sides straight all the way to the top like the pattern I did a couple of decrease rows right below the handle slits. It firmed up the top and though itís a bit of an odd shape, it turned out ok. That probably wonít be itís final place. Thatís prime real estate and no place for something used only occasionally. Those are a few of the scarves for next year rolled up next to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-8dbadf68-36da-46ef-8f00-8156d49bd0b6.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Major progress here. The jack idea worked, to the point we finally kipremembered we bought a tow strap rated for 10,000 pounds. By then the rock was out of the ground enough to get the strap around it, so we towed it out with the truck.
    2019 Stash Management-20190511_101321_1557598212815.jpg
    Then we went for #2. Husby dug down all the way around it and then we yanked that out, too.
    2019 Stash Management-20190511_124654_1557598863697.jpg
    Glad the worst is over. We still have to backfill the giant hole they were in.

Since we were rockin' it today, we went down to look at the rock problem by the dock. There's no moving the rock we wanted to move because we can't get the angle to tow it. We decided to remove a couple smaller rocks on the other side of the dock and shove the dock over a foot. We will have to put the dock in first, but we can move it over, put it in, and then pull the rocks. I think the dock came out of the lake at an angle a few years ago, and has hung up on a BFR in the lake since then. I hope that's it.

Here's the new raised garden. I love how it turned out. I can't wait till stuff starts growing in there. I plan on green beans that climb in half of it, snap peas in half, and purple bush beans along the front edge.
    2019 Stash Management-20190511_124719_1557599091779.jpg

I took this pic behind my cabin just now. You can see why gardening is a challege here. Sorry to show you our forest floor in such an unraked condition, but it's been a busy spring.
    2019 Stash Management-20190511_124859_1557599889679.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good job getting the rocks out, that should make things easier for you in the future.

Had a call this morning saying my sewing machine is ready. Yay! I will go over tomorrow and get it. Traffic is heavy today due to the impending holiday, and I'm not inclined to go out.

Use it up, Wear it out,