2019 Stash Management - Page 54
Page 54 of 130 FirstFirst ... 4445152535455565764104 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is a lot of rocks! we aren't as bad here but close. kinda mix mountains and then lots of farmland where glacier when though. I have two smaller rocks in front of that one now. one that has a close grain greenish that the guy was trying to blast out of the corner of foundation..kept getting chucks off to make a corner. gave up because he said if he got the whole rock out would be a really big hole and damage house on that side.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So glad your machine is ready. Being without mine is torture for me and I'm sure for you without yours, too.

We dumped all the old pots of dirt in the hole where the rocks were, so that's backfilled and all the pots are stacked and decluttered. Then we sorted the old self watering planters I made years ago from litter pails. All the bottom ones were split open because we neglected to empty the water from them one winter. But the top ones are okay, so that will save some work when I make some more.

The big pile of salvaged stuff and homeless garden stuff is put away and organized.

Now we need to switch gears and get the camper summerized and ready for the year, minimally for now, none of the big stuff. First up, get the modified bedding put back on the beds, modify the wall pockets on Husby's side of the bed, and reinstall the fold down shelves if the bedding mods have worked. Lots more to do but I will start there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m going to stick with plan B today and instead of working on hexagons try to get the Christmas baskets started and finish the bottoms to get all of the increase rows finished. After that it’s just around and around and around. They will then be mindless projects to pick up.

The rain is finally over. I don’t know how much we finally got but it was Enough. I love rain but we could do with a few sunnier days. I’m sure the water loving river birches and wax myrtles in the yard have been happy as clams though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms here!

I hope your bad weather is over, D. This climate change stuff stinks for us, too.

Husby took off for Menards to pick up some lumber and the roof panel material for the gh. We decided to just do the whole roof and get it over with rather than have to figure it all out again later. We plan to get the last section of boardwalk built soon, now that the pile of salvage stuff has been moved out of the way. That's a small job but it has to be done before rebuilding the dog ramp on the back of the cabin so we know what decking we will have left, and we need to get the decking used up before the weather ruins it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, I wonder if your green rock is Ely greenstone. We have a lot of that here. It's about 1.5 billion years old. Hard to comprehend that. It was thought to be the oldest rock on Earth for a long time, until Monevideo gneiss was discovered in southern Minnesota and dated at 4 billion years, even harder to comprehend.

I find rocks fascinating, even the creepy BFRs lurking in the lake.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A week or so ago I finished listening to a long Great Courses lecture series How the Earth Works. It was an excellent one, even without the visual elements since I was just listening. It was full of interesting stuff on rocks. Earth sciences always interest me. Right now I’m reading a really good book, Cascadia’s Fault, about the earthquake risk in the Pacific Northwest and up into Canada.

I’ve been trying to decide on the color combos for the baskets. I have an ombre and variegated green I want to use. The green that matches best and looks best is guava, that isn’t sold in JA stores. I only have one skein that won’t be enough. For another there is the same situation. Of colors I have, for the third one flamingo would be good, but I only have one. The color coral might also be good, or even better, but I haven’t seen that one. I have medium coral but it looks like a really different color. I also need an extra skein of royal. I just ordered those from Herrschner. Their shipping is high, but it’s still less than having to buy three skeins of each color at JA online, even with their free shipping today, not to mention that I don’t need three skeins of them. I also got a skein of desert camo. I’ve never seen or used it, but it should make a good scarf for the boys.

Because of this, I won’t be able to start the orangey basket until the order arrives and I see if the coral will be better than flamingo, as I think it will. I can get all the others started though. Oh, I also got a skein of flame since it had already kicked up to the next shipping level and wouldn’t increase that. I don’t have much red and I would like to make some red scarves for the kids. Actually I’m sort of thinking of making the rest of May crochet month. I want to do the embroidery but I have the rest of my life for that. I would like to get as many scarves made as possible before fall, and the baskets have deadlines.

So many projects I want to do!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Martha, I wonder if your green rock is Ely greenstone. We have a lot of that here. It's about 1.5 billion years old. Hard to comprehend that. It was thought to be the oldest rock on Earth for a long time, until Monevideo gneiss was discovered in southern Minnesota and dated at 4 billion years, even harder to comprehend.

I find rocks fascinating, even the creepy BFRs lurking in the lake.
    I don't know. I will take a picture later of it. I love natural stones. have lots of beads from my jewelry phase that are natural. one of those hope to do crafts and then you have kids and cats who get into things and you don't have a room with a locked door to do things lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Getting close to finishing black skirt. I'm attaching salvaged black lace to the bottom edge so it's a little fancier. I thought I found & fixed the machine problem (thread remnant in bobbin area) but it's still jamming. Going to finish this before moving to the next repair/remake project -of which there are several.

For those who had machines repaired lately (CH?) how is that priced? Hourly? What rate? I am wondering about sewing machine repair as a sideline after I retired. Of course I would need to apprentice somewhere, and not the new electronic kind - I'm talking old mechanical Singer, etc. And take over hubby's workshop but of course he doesn't use it so why not?

Yellow flower quilt is on the bed - covered w/ a pink afghan because the dog sleeps on the bed. I salvaged a yellow blanket from mom's. It's heavy, in good shape, but needs binding replaced. So JA later this week with a coupon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It took me all this time to get the joke about the un-raked forest floor. I kept wondering what in the world you were talk about. How quickly we forget......

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dlrcpa: my cleaning/tune up was flat rate plus parts. That was with Viking/Husqvarna. I paid about $160. It's an electric machine and it's 20 years old. Until this bobble with the thread it has run like a race horse.

I had planned to spend time this week taking apart the old christmas quilt so I could put the new blocks on. Glad I did not start that as it has been cold at night and we have been using it. Who would think we'd need two quilts on the bed in May?

I think we have had Enough Rain here too, but after all those years of drought I think I prefer it wetter rather than drier.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, I figured not many would recall the reference to raking the forest. I guess it sticks with me because we live in a forest and because the remark was so incredibly idiotic.

A tune up on my Vikings is usually about $130 here, but I haven't had service done for about 5 years so it could have gone up. My serger was about the same.

Got the mulch on the little garden, so it just needs to be planted. Probably next week.

We were at the local greenhouse today and the owner was telling us about the theft and vandalism that happened there overnight. Her son was driving by at 3 AM and happened to catch the perpetrators redhanded. Two were actually in the area where the damage was being done, while 3 more were across the street watching. The owner showed us the damage and we all started laughing. The deer had eaten the flowers off the trailing petunias and apparently were about to start on big racks of broccoli and cabbage plants. She said they didn't want to leave either. Of course not, since they had just discovered the mother lode. It must have looked like a deer buffet. The nursery is in the middle of town, but no place up here is immune from adventures with wildlife.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was hoping we would find out what happened with CH's Christmas quilt, guess we will get to see later in the year.
    I put a new needle in the sewing machine to see if that would help and it did. Finished the skirt and 3 additional small projects.
    This is the other old quilt top, not as pretty as the yellow flower top. I bought a low-loft quilt batt to use but thinking I just don't want to spend the time on this one. There are some stains as well, which was not a problem on the yellow flower top.2019 Stash Management-img_0947.jpg

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sewing machine is tucked back into the table, plugged in and seems to work fine. I only sewed a small test piece but it seems quieter.

Tonight is the last night it is supposed to be in the 40's, and by Wed we will have temps in the 80's so I can start taking apart the christmas quilt.

I have a couple star blocks to finish for the guild, and I want to make a quilt top or two for the veteran's housing project. I saw in the paper they are putting in 23 more tiny homes this summer.

Dlr, that's a real eye popping quilt. I remember when those were popular colors and lots of homes were decorated like that.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

got some yarn in the states only one of the new mandala colours I wanted ..that walmart doesn't have a lot. but best I can do not that I am short yarn lol second hand yarn here is pricey. thrift stores...nope...saw some on facebook market place...$42 for old wool..4 which are clearly marked for 1.29 original price $20 for 3 balls of craft yarn..cheaper new! 2019 Stash Management-59969801_10157362460142048_6449947590371835904_n.jpg2019 Stash Management-57485668_10156748562365189_3373065244657057792_n.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really want to get beans and peas planted but the instant they poke up through the mulch, the deer will mow them off since we don't have the temporary fence up yet. Maybe we will deal with that today. Lots to do.

I'm excited we will be moving the camper up by the house today. Then we can do summer prep. I just want to go somewhere. Anywhere will do.