2019 Stash Management - Page 55
Page 55 of 83 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - I pulled my lap quilt out this out this morning. In what used to be normal, we would be edging up to mid 90s by now. I’ll take this. Rain and all. I’ve only had the a/c on a few hours so far so far this year which is astonishing. But good. By the way, I like your decluttering quotes in your signature.

I’ve been sitting here trying to figure out what I did yesterday. All I have to show for it is two baskets started. I spent time yarn shopping (hangs head) and washed dishes and ate a few meals. Where did the rest of the day go? What’s more, the baskets are a mixed success for Christmas presents. I like the green so much, the one with the guava I ordered one of the new skeins for, that I want to keep it for ME. That’s not helpful. On the positive side, I finally found a couple of solid colors in the stash that work with the difficult RH mulberry mix. I started a small basket with that. It will be more or less the size of the yellow one, but without the weird decreases at the top. I’ve decided I will make each household a set of three, small, medium, and large, and add gift cards for everyone individually, and Christmas is done except for little girl. I still have the placemats that didn’t happen this Christmas on the back burner. They can just stay in the works for the next year.

Today is more of the same. Minus the vanishing hours, I hope. A little housework and crocheting. With luck there will be more to report tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished my little doll.2019 Stash Management-img_20190513_104336257_1557763056369.jpg

I looked up some you tube videos on brushed yarn hair. One of them mentioned that you do wind up with lots of hair on the brush. Earlier in the video it says use lots of yarn.

So I guess I was not doing it wrong.

This wild looking hair is the stuff that stuck to the brush. It is not as stable as if I had used the tiny bit not combed away.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She's a cutie, Kathy. You'll get the hang of the hair. I wonder if it would work to use worsted yarn and tease the strands apart with a large blunt needle like a darning needle. It wouldn't destroy the yarn as much if the strands were fairly short.

A few things done today so far, but my wrist is wrecked now so I'm not sure what I'll be able to do with this stupid brace on. I did get one bedspread serged and restitched for the camper. Three more blankets to go. I also wrecked my back messing with my serger table. I should have asked for help but I'm used to being home alone most of the time so didn't think about it.

We got part of the temporary fence up. Well, Husby did that while I washed and dried a load of clothes, cooked two batches of chicken, sewed the first blanket, put some stuff away, and hurt my back on the serger table.

Then we went out and folded up the trailer, towed it up by the house, got it backed in but jackknifed, unhitched, straightened out the truck rehitched, leveled side to side, unhitched again, leveled front to back, and unfolded it again. It's a giant mess inside so that will be the first thing to deal with. All the stuff from the storage bay that leaked got put inside and it's in the way. But at least it's up by the house now where it be easier to work on.

Next after tidying is stripping the bed and getting rid of the nice thick mattress pad. Waaaaa! But we need the fold-down shelves worse. Maybe I can modify that too, but not now.

I found the screws to put the shelves back on the ends of the cabinets, so that's something.

Lots more to do on the camper, but focusing on the bed area is the first thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

K - I think the doll came out fine.

SD - It sounds like you are finding plenty to do with a wrecked wrist and back. Don’t overdo it though and make it worse. I know it’s a really radical idea for you, but how about a little ... rest?

I started another basket but after about 1/3. Or 1/2 of the bottom decided I really don’t like it. There’s too much light/dark contrast. So I’ll frog that and try another color. For those of you know RH, taking out Monet, putting in grape fizz.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the doll is cute! ouch hope you get better soon spirit! I need to figure out some short quick projects. too many big crochet projects. and sometimes you just don't feel like working on them.

I need to figure out a way to re edge my towels. still in good condition except the edges are fraying. since they are almost 20yrs old can't complain because they have been used and not worn at all except the edges going. don't know if I will get some binding or ....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, you could make your own binding from shirtweight fabric. It does not have to be cut bias so a little fabric would go a long way.

Trying to make myself finish at least one more blanket. Husby stripped the bed, so that helps. But I think I need to make some changes to the bed platform, so that will take some time. Not much, I hope. We would lose some storage but the foot extension would function a lot better.

Always so much to think about, but we don't want to buy a new trailer and we love this one except for some minor issues.

I have to get some mods done before fall so I can show them off at the Aliner rally. I love sharing my ideas with others, and since I will blatantly and shamelessly steal other people's ideas, it's only fair I let them see mine in return.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the doll too, and her little yellow dress. Little girls have wild/crazy hair anyway so it looks perfectly natural. She needs a little dog - and then you could comb out a lot more yarn for fur.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the blankets done. I did all 3 and then realized I didn't cut the batting out of the last one. Redo. I hate redos. But they're all done now.

I also cut down the wall pockets. That's a redo, too, but probably not this week.

Got the shelves put back in the camper. Even with ALL the bedding off the bed and only the factory cushions on the bed platform, the shelves still won't fold down. Not sure what to do about that but I have a couple ideas to try. Hope something works out.

Three strikes so I'm out. Hope it goes better tomorrow.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a sweet little doll. I think her hair looks fine. Much better than the bald dolls in my own collection.

Take it easy SD and let yourself rest a bit.

DC, hope your baskets come out well this time.

For towels that have started to fray, I trim if needed, then fold and hem.

Happy to have the machine back and I was going to sew today after working in the yard. Then my book tape came, so I started repairing the journal. Removed 3 pages and then had to glue where the cover had broken. Glue didn't set right so I glued it again, and then taped it. So it is on the sewing table with weights. Hopefully it is fixed now. It's a nice book, lays flat when open, and I went through and pressed it open in a few places so as not to break the cover again.

Got some fabric ironed, had a pile of remnants sitting there. I really dislike they way they wad up the fabric and roll it when they do those at Joann's. Some of those creases are a PITA to get out, even with steam.

Dentist tomorrow. One of my 20 yr old crowns has to be replaced. Fun fun fun.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Finally had success with the basket beginning, but only after three or four restarts. I just couldn’t get colors to blend like I wanted. I finally decided the problem was the ombre that I was using for the base color so I abandoned that. Now it’s just a darker richer combo. Frogging and rewinding is a pain when using three strands. After that I was so tired of messing with the basket that I did about half of a scarf. The triple strand is much harder on my hands and wrists so I try not to work on that for really extended periods. I’ll start another today and hope it goes more smoothly.

The barn swallows launched their flying careers yesterday. They’re out practicing again this morning. The parents are like little rockets but the babies’ fluttery early flights are so cute. The tricky part is learning how to stop. Big rooftops are helpful emergency landing strips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on skein #9-ish. It's about halfway done. But I"m glad the afgan is long enough to cover my lap. It's been chilly in my area for the past couple of days. According to the weather website, my area got ~2.3 inches of rain the past seven days. It was ~20* below normal temps for this time of year.

Glad I took my car into the shop today. The 'check engine' light went on over the weekend. Turns out I needed the freon in the A/C topped up and the thermometer changed. That's relatively minor (unless they find other issues). I'm glad it's being addressed today as I have plans for this weekend (and likely the next).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks ch and spirit.. it is the sides of the towels that are fraying so was thinking matching colours for binding. I hear you about big projects ..started a cat toque last night for dd or one of her friends. wanted something small to do. blankets take long. chilly today and raining which we need so blanket projects are good for leg warmth. dh fixed my car problem..lead had worn in a spot so shorting out. he used the glue gun and electrical tape as per mechanic friend. so new ones on order. it gave me lots of anxiety coming home from the states. plus exercise because I walked to the mall for doc appt. it is just a few blocks so more laziness that I don't walk more.

our neighbours aren't big on physical labour..or maintenance...not putting them down..they want the trendy modern clean line look. I like the country garden style. built a new house..just funny because for the last few days he has been digging out grass on either side of the walkway to put that weed paper, stones and some beachy style grass for interest..no maintenance..but it has taking so long ..he has a level out etc like really..edged w wood plank so I said why don't you use the edgers I save from your old house being torn down so looks nicer. has curved tops but his wife didn't like the curved so they put them upside down and then dh came by and said why don't you put the aggregate nice side out inside of the dirty concrete.. told dh he had spent 10 to 12 hrs so far that day doing this. the effort of leveling to a T hours of it (is flat) and now it is raining so all the dirt will settle and won't be totally even. which of course we didn't say anything ..it is kinda cute. though they are in their 30s we feel a lot older then them. think just because we have run our own households for a lot longer and been more independent. the amount of work he did for this bit of gardening. plus ripping up turf they paid to get laid last year. I said did say well the previous people just put the edgers down a foot apart added dirt and boxwoods (and it was maybe 6 to 8 hrs since they were seniors) didn't say the time to him. he had spent 3 days. the neighbours didn't want to mow grass so that was the last strip. we were the ones who saved the edgers and plants etc from the wreckers, they didn't want too but guess they appreciate it now. though get more of the vibe of well it is ours...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another busy day here.

We got the temporary fence up around the new garden box. It's not pretty but I hope it does the job. We moved 5 of the dryer and washer tubs in there too, so we can try for carrots and some other stuff.

The garden area is still a WIP. We always planned to do this project in stages so it won't be done this year either. It's looking more like we want it to though.

We got the fence up and then took down some trellises in another garden bed. One of the trellises works okay for the temporary gate on the new fence. We have another bed spring to use in the garden where we took out the old trellises, so that has to be installed sometime soon. I want to plant cucumbers on that.

About the time we got the trellises moved out of the old garden and filled up a couple of the big planting tubs, it started raining. We moved the trellis we were disassembling into the gh, which is such a pleasant place to be when it's raining. Still have 3 tubs to fill, at least. I think we will have to make a run to Menards next week for at least 50 bags of dirt. It took about 10 bags to fill the hole where the rocks were so we're running low again. Kinda hated throwing $20 into a hole in the ground but by the time we either had it delivered and paid for dirt and delivery, or went to a gravel pit and loaded it ourselves and then had to unload it all by hand and pay for it too, it just seemed like using bagged dirt that was sitting right here was a pretty good deal.

Husby removed a big chunk of greenstone in the garden area today, which I hope concludes the rock removal portion of the garden project. The rock was big enough to require another bag of dirt to fill that hole.

I got the mod redone on the wall pockets for the camper, so it looks good now, all reinstalled.

We got the memory foam for the camper out of the box so it can poof. So far it hasn't but it's supposed to take 48 hours. Hope it works out. The camper is such a disaster at the moment it's next to impossible to move in there. It won't change till the bed is back together.

Still trying to figure out how to do what I want to do to make angel gowns out of one of the pink gowns I got recently.

The tomato plants I started are ready to transplant but I won't get to that this week. Still have to make some new self watering planters. Something more we will need dirt for. I think I will need about a dozen planters for tomatoes and peppers.

Guess you can see I'm in full garden mode at the moment.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wish there were two of me so one could work on the front yard and one in the back garden. I told DH we had enough wood for the smoker this summer and he should get out the wood chipper. He did a bunch last night and this evening we got the remainder of the woodpile in the driveway cleared, leaves and all. I also swept the steps and some of the drive. We have maple trees and they are dropping more spinners than usual this spring. Tomorrow while he is at work I will get what was under his car.

Then we can move the chipper to the back yard.

I started cutting out a quilt. Simple block, Corner 4-Patch. Big rectangle next to a square and a 4-patch. I need 108 8" blocks, and this evening I cut 63 rectangles. The rectangles will all be brown, from remnants. The squares are going to be cut from a bundle of homespun plaids and stripes in blue and tan I bought a year or two ago, that came with a baseball themed print. I will make the 4-patches out of whatever scraps are left over. Sounds kind of dull but I think it will look smashing once it is all done.

Had to think about it a while, but I decided to throw my old quilt into the washer. It's only been washed once in the 25 years since I made it. I thought it would probably survive. The first soak turned brown, the second soak was only grey. It did ok except in the area I hadn't repaired yet. The small tears all became bigger ones. Oh well, something to work on once it becomes too hot and humid to go outside.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think the good times are over and the a/c will have to come on this afternoon, but the extra time without it was a treat.

I only got one more basket started. The repetitive motion from the harder triple strand crocheting is beginning to cost a lot of aching, so I switched to a scarf but didn’t work at it for long stretches. The embroidery also has a lot of twisting motion with my right hand so I need to spell all of that off with something completely different. Maybe some jigsaws? I have a huge stash of them and think I have only done one since I’ve moved out here.

I’ve started listening to a long fantasy novel I bought on sale. It’s so far mildly interesting though I’m having a hard time keeping up with some of the characters and too many of the place names sound too much alike. This one might be better in text. I almost never listen to fiction anymore. After a lifetime of reading it all begins to sound the same. Except for Pratchett. I can listen to those endlessly. I have quite a few fiction titles in my audio library I’ve never listened to. A jigsaw binge would be a good way to work through some of those. For some reason I can listen to it more enjoyably with puzzles than with crocheting. That makes no sense but there it is. Lol.

Tomorrow or Friday may be a grocery run. Kroger has the first sale priced cherries of the season. And the tiny watermelons. I don’t have much freezer room now but chuck roast is 2.47, the price point where I will buy it, so I want to get a few of those.