2019 Stash Management - Page 56
Page 56 of 82 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My husband and I are not big on lawn maintenance either. That is part of why we have always lived in apartments or condos. I admire people who are doing things for all sorts of things around their yard. It is just not for me.

I complain sometimes about not being able to afford a regular house here, but really I would not want one. It is just the principal of the thing. Like something is very wrong when two people who are earning decent incomes cannot afford to by a house.

Next week, I am finally going back into my refurbished space. I am not looking forward to moving all my stuff, but I am looking forward to being in my new space. I will have the room to myself since the person who would be sitting next to me quit. It is still somewhat of a high traffic area. People go through the room to get to my boss's office. But overall it will be much quieter.

I feel like it will take my stress level down a notch. I have been so stressed out lately.

I have started doing another little embroidery. I also have another little embroidery that I do for a minute or two at work on days I get there early. I have started doing little sayings. The at home one will have a quote from a song I like "the darker the night, the brighter the light." The at work one says "born to be mild."

I am working on an idea I think of as "mild pride." Words like exciting, adventurous, daring and bold all get good press. Inspirational books say "follow your dream." But then they take about big dreams and being fearless and doing exciting things, etc. What if your dream is to stay home and read? People with my personality type are often put down as being boring, not having a life, etc. I want to feel better about who I am. And to a certain extent let other people know that this is a positive choice.

The roses in the public gardens are coming up here. We are getting lots of other flowers as well. I like the one they call bee balm. I should take some pictures to post.
    KathyB

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, bee balm is nice. A friend of ours has it in his side yard. He has about 10' of space between his house and the next building over. He put up an arbor on the street side (I don't know what grows on it) and the yard is all bee balm with a path to the kitchen door. It is beautiful. Such a lovely space in the middle of the city.

Housing prices are driven by supply and demand, and the population pressure on the east and west coast is tremendous. There's lots of space left out here in the middle, house prices are not outrageous, and we have clean air and water, too.

Hope your move to the new office space goes smoothly. The embroidery sounds like a nice calming project.

""Books are the carriers of civilization... They are companions, teachers, magicians, bankers of the treasures of the mind. Books are humanity in print." ~ Barbara W. Tuchman"
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the midwest and small towns are very underrated. And overlooked. If there was investment in infrastructure including high speed internet for rural areas, a lot of people could live in smaller towns and run internet businesses or work remotely. Not everyone wants to live in big cities. There are a ton of people we know who live in our tiny town just because they love the outdoor lifestyle and can live here cheap as long as they figure out how to earn a living. We also know a lot of people who left after high school who would move back in a heartbeat if they could make a living. I'm sure this is not the only place where all this is true. Small towns have so much to offer, but it's not the shiny objects and bright lights of a big city.

We're getting small stuff not worth mentioning done today. The new memory foam is failing to commence poofing so far. We moved it to the van since there's no place in the house to lay out something that size, so we can't put the camper bed back together with that yet. Very annoying. I hope it eventually poofs or it will be a big waste of money.

I got all the new Corelle dishes to fit into the camper dish drawers with space left over, as expected. I hope they don't break because I think we'll like them. Also got some other things moved and reorganized in more logical ways. It's helping. I have some empty pails that seem like they need things put in them but I can't think what. I have to take one out, but I don't think we will miss it. Every inch counts in such a tiny trailer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a foam mattress. I think the instructions said two or three days. However, after a full day it was mostly full size.

Bee balm
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190515_134900312_hdr_1557950548037.jpg

Here is where I ate lunch today. There are some benefits to working here.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190515_132135291_1557951130524.jpg
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190515_133857384_1557951157021.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea! Got the beans and snap peas in! I hope they do well. I hope the chipmunks and squirrels don't eat them. I put in the peas plus Blue Lake pole beans, purple bush beans, and Hungarian wax beans. I don't recall growing the Blue Lake beans but the pkg was open, so I must have. The wax beans are NTM. The purple beans have done well for us, as have the snap peas, which have to be our favorite veggie. Can't wait to see green in a week or two.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very pretty, Kathy. It does look pleasant there and a nice break from an office.

It's always great to see your face! 🙂

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

K - what a nice spot for lunch. I like “born to be mild.” I’m 100% with you on that one.

As for big cities, I’ve lived in New York and Toronto but except for two or three excursions stayed within a few blocks radius of where I lived. In New York I went to the Cloisters a couple of times to enjoy the medieval art collection and there was a huge bookstore downtown right at a subway stop. In Toronto a couple of years I ventured out to the huge fair to see the horse shows and downtown to a department store that even had a direct subway entrance. I think from that it’s pretty obvious why I have never wanted to travel - lol.

I gout the bottom done for a small basket before the ache set in. I can’t decide if it’s a keeper. Since then I have done six or seven rows on a scarf and tried to decide what to use for the others. I have one large one that I’m waiting on the Herrschnerrs yarn for (estimated Saturday delivery), two medium, and two small left to start. The large and medium have the same size bottoms but different heights.

Now the table I would need for the puzzles is full of yarn. Apparently nature abhors a clear table and is putting up a strong defense of its principles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What we've found living in different places is when we first get there, we're all enthused to do different things but then lose interest. We also realized that a lot of the fun stuff that sounds so good in another town, we have available right here and don't partake. Our reality check made us admit to ourselves if we don't do things now we could do locally, chances are we probably wouldn't do them elsewhere either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's the law of household geometry, D. Any horizontal surface is soon piled up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pretty. My yard still needs a lot of work but I enjoy doing it.
    I'm going to re-tailor another of mom's shirts. This one is the same shade of light blue as my dog-club polo shirt and baseball hat so I figure it will be useful. I found some old thread to match so I hope the sewing machine tolerates it.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lovely spot to eat lunch, Kathy. Shame they won't let you walk on the grass. That's why god put it on the ground.

I dug out 2 more >1yd brown remnants and cut them and got up to 103 rectangles. I just need to dig out one more ~1/4 yd piece to complete the set. Scratch that, I found a ~1/4 scrap in the box of stuff I bought at a quilt show last summer. Earlier this afternoon I went through my collection of neutral whites and off-whites and pulled out 3 rolled remnant pieces that will go well with the tan I already have. They're a little lighter, but still the same hue. These are the ones that did not match up well with the ones I used on the back of my fall quilt. So pleased to find everything I need at my fingertips!

Tomorrow I need to dig out black prints for a charm square swap. I had 5 handy, need to get 5 or 6 more out of one of my storage boxes. Then I can avoid JA for another week.

Dlr, hope your upcycled shirt project comes out well.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

so pretty kathy! I agree more born to be mild! really most people are doing thing like reading , watching movies and crafting then skydiving. I am not a small town girl though l like a bit of nature around. we do have a lot of flowers and greenery. no concrete jungles for me. you don't tend to go to the touristy places in your own town.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I actually do go the touristy attractions on a pretty regular basis. Part of that is because many of them are right next to where I work. And they are free. Although I would get a season pass if they were not free. To be honest I mostly go to the museums closest to work. There are some a little further, but still possible to get to during lunch - 20 minute walk there, 20 minutes in museums, 20 minute walk balk - that I do a few times a year. Ones that are further than that, I tend not to visit very often.

So far this month, I have been to two new exhibits, one of the Empresses of China and one on ironsmithing in Africa. Their are two more I plan to see in museums that are not right next to me, but doable during lunch time.
    The Natural History Museum is showing its annual winners for the wildlife photography awards. The American History is having an exhibit on comics. I am not a huge fan of most modern comics except manga. However I do like the golden age and silver age of comics. My dad had a huge collection of comics and I grew up reading comics that were older than me. My husband recently bought some books that were reprints of old Flash Gordon comics strips. I have been enjoying reading them. I would like to eventually pick up more reprint compilations of other comics. But it will take awhile to get through the Flash Gordon - I think there are six books and they are pretty thick - so I will wait awhile on those.

I think it would be nice if most people had work anywhere type jobs.

I was unable to find a job in my hometown except for cheap paying part time jobs. My husband could not find a job either. I have heard from lots of people who moved away from their hometowns because of not being able to find a job. When I was in Chattanooga I thought it was nice city: very scenic, friendly people, attractions and local festivals, nice places to eat, low cost of living. But a young man I talked to was thinking about moving because the job market was bad and he could not find work.

I think given an option of working anywhere there would still be some that choose to live in a big city. There are some things offered in major cities you can't get in other places. I remember reading on city data I woman who moved from LA to Omaha and was unhappy there because the nightclub scene in Omaha was "lame." Perhaps not the best example, because Omaha is actually a large city. The point is that Omaha has a low cost of living and some nice attractions, but it is not for everyone.

I think it would be nice to decide based on what the city offer and does it match your tastes. Retirement cities are a little like that, because you are not choosing based on the availability of jobs. But cost of living is still a factor. For example, take the example of someone who could afford to retire in higher cost of living area. If they choose a lower cost of living area, they might have $1000 - $2000 a month more to spend on hobbies and entertainment. So you end up weighing the benefits of being able to have access to more attractions, festivals, restaurant options, etc. v. the enjoyment to be gained from having extra money to spend on hobbies and entertainment.

I feel like it is not so much that we could not afford to live here during retirement. (maybe, probably?) It is that we could live better someplace else. That and I want someplace with less crowds and traffic.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree - not everyone is meant to be adrenaline junkies. I describe myself as a homebody. I'd rather stay home than travel, although I have gone a few places. I think the one thing I would like to do if I traveled is take the train down to New Orleans. Not sure why but that's the one place I'd like to see or Salem, MA. I guess because they both have history.

Still working on skein 9-ish on the wool-blend afgan. It's been both frustrating (due to how long it's taking to get done) and satisfying (because it's lightweight but warm).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes here if you move anywhere else..snow! not used it it anymore but here is lots of rain but hey used to that. one reason we don't move too is that we are walking distance to the mall, senior centre, library, medical, easy transit etc. so I don't have to worry about not being able to drive and stuck. since housing went up so much lots of seniors sold their place and moved to the interior or island. or just further way to cheaper housing. I have seen with our parents who live here too plus neighbours it doesn't take much to be housebound and limited in what you can do. also we are close to lots of higher education for the kids and central to lots of places.

I do some of the tourist things here. there are some free museums but some don't change much so a trip once or twice does you for a long time. adjusting to having teens and that there isn't a lot of events for them in the community or they aren't interested. here lots of things like hiking, biking etc are the big things. I want my backyard to be an oasis for us.

I hear you about lightweight afghan have a few on the go..nice but seems to take forever!