2019 Stash Management - Page 57
Page 57 of 116 FirstFirst ... 7475455565758596067107 ... LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Didn't avoid JA after all. DH invited me out to lunch, and as luck would have it I'm on my last rotary cutting blade and it has a flat spot. I had to pass the store on the way home from lunch so I used this week's 50% coupon on the 5-pack. There was a cute baseball print remnant that is perfect for my brown quilt so I grabbed that, and they had garden stuff 60-70% off (gotta be ready to stock christmas by June, you know) and I got a nice black metal 3 tiered plant stand for the deck.

It is 90 out and getting warmer. Hard to believe it was 45 only a few days ago. Weather is setting up for some serious thunderstorms this weekend.

Going to go cut 4.5" squares for a while.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think most people go through a big city phase. We did and then got over it. But of course, it depends on each person's preference. We could never live in Minneapolis again. Every time we go, we hate the traffic, the noise, the stink, the costs, etc. We do miss some of the amenities like the zoo. What we miss the most is diversity. I love seeing different people, hearing different languages, being able to shop in ethnic groceries, getting to know people from cultures different from ours. I miss that more and more the older I get.

We moved up here in large part because we wanted our kids to have more freedom and more things to do. In Minneapolis, the competition for slots in sports, choirs, plays, all kinds of activities was fierce. There were many things they could not have participated in. Here, not so much, and most things they tried to participate in, they were able to get involved with, including things like community theatre. Also in Minneapolis, they could not go anywhere alone, whereas here, they had a lot more autonomy. At one point we had 8 kids in 6 different schools with different starting and ending times spread all over the city. Providing transportation for them all would have been impossible. Here, we had 5 kids in 2 schools on the same block, that were a few blocks from our house, so they could safely walk to and from school and activities. Jobs would have been the same logistical nightmare. No way would we have allowed them to do paper routes in the city by themselves but here, no problem. Same thing when they got hourly jobs. They could get to and from with the usual minimal risks. They could ride their bikes anywhere in town in 15 minutes. This was a great place for them to be kids and they were like birds out of cages when we moved here. But again, it's not for everyone. Nothing is perfect, and every place requires some compromises. I just think it's sad when those who would rather live in small towns can't because of lack of living wage jobs.

I had to laugh last week when I mentioned to Husby maybe we should move back to the Cities. His only comment was an immediate "NO!"

Not getting much done today, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - you are in a great place for museums. I’m glad you have the opportunity to enjoy them. One thing I really liked that was in my few blocks radius in Toronto was the planetarium. I went to a lot of their shows. It was next to the museum and I went a couple of times during the four years I was there, but it didn’t interest me as much.

I got more done on the baskets yesterday than I thought I would. I will soon have all of them started and I can just pick them up and carry on. I do want to get some scarves turned out so I may stick with the plan to mostly crochet this month. All the yarn is off the table so I may start a jigsaw too.

All the daylilies I had the neighbors plant for me are doing well. I had the first bloom today, a gorgeous orange. I’m glad that’s what I finally decided on. They were nursery size plants so pretty expensive to put out. I may later get some bulbs to go other places. That would not cost much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Picture time. I wanted to show some of what I mean about crowds and traffic.

This is the sidewalk. You might need to zoom in to see the people. That is a line of tour busses behind them.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190516_132505177_hdr_1558093821787.jpg

I planned to go to the Natural History Museum, but the line was long. In all fairness the lines are not always this bad.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190516_132949786_hdr_1558094037569.jpg

This is the street I cross to get to the closest museum. I am standing just outside my building to take the picture. It is two lanes for parking and six lanes for driving. Eight lanes total. This is at around two in the afternoon so traffic is only at a medium level. It gets much worse during rush hours.2019 Stash Management-img_20190516_140827774_hdr_1558094278597.jpg

And for a change of pace, they stick spots like this in between busy streets. This garden is one block long and really skinny. Maybe 60 feet at the wide part where this picture is taken. The narrow part is around 15 feet, maybe 20. Sorry I got this sideways.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190516_133852683_hdr_1558094567646.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's nice that you have small urban parks like that. We have the same downtown crowds and traffic (every city does) without the green spaces in between. That's not to say we don't have parks, there are some nice large ones in the city, but the urban core is unrelentingly concrete.

Yesterday I finished cutting rectangles and moved on to squares. I have enough cut that I can begin sewing now. The plan is to work on that this afternoon. I want to get some morning errands out of the way first, and then attend a free cooking demo at the community garden. I have been before, but this year I think they have a new teacher, so it will be interesting to see how it changes.

Midwest weather is supposed to get severe, starting tomorrow night. There will be more flooding with all the rain expected north of us.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In a way I am glad that I had my big city experience.

I think maybe it is good to live in different cities, or at least visit them to get a feel of where you might like to settle down. Or temporarily settle down. But visit them while keeping in mind some of the things that are important for living, not just vacation. My husband really enjoyed our trip in Puerto Rico. At one point he said it would be nice to live there. But the touristy part where we stayed had really horrible traffic - you could literally walk faster than the cars were moving (things were close so we mostly walked places). There were no grocery stores in the area we stayed, and when we ventured past the touristy areas there were some really sketchy areas. Not to mention neither of us speaks any Spanish. (The people who work in the touristy areas are all bilingual.)

SD, I giggle a little to myself when you talk about Minneapolis being diverse. Not compared to DC and Baltimore. I will not say any more on this, but you can google stats if you are curious.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had lits of small neighborhood parks in Minneapolis. And lakes, hence the name which means cutt if lakes. There were trails and bike paths around the lakes people could enjoy.

I understand about liking certain kinds of buildings. I love Duluth and Hibbing for the big variety of archetectural styles the each have. And Duluth has a beautiful lake walk along Lake Superior.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - Thanks for all the pictures. I used to visit friends in Silver Spring a couple of times a year, but never did any sightseeing in DC.

The Herrschners order is due tomorrow so this weekend I can finish the basket starts. Later today a neighbor is going up to the attic to bring down some of the yarn up there. I think I have a little more yellow, and he can see what red and purple up there. I have all the RH in clear plastic bags. I think any red thatís stored will be very dark, and I just donít remember what purple is there. I donít think there is much. I have tons of blue and green. Up there and in the house.

I finished one of the scarves last night that was nearly done. There is another that has about a foot to go. Iíll finish that one today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was never one for big cities except for the occasional visit. I don't think I would want to live in one unless I absolutely had to. Then again, I can go to two major cities by train easily enough. I'm actually thinking of maybe visiting New Orleans via train. That would take most of a day (night really) but it might be fun.

Still working on skein #9-ish. Sigh. It's coming along. I'm not likely to get much done on it on Saturday. I have plans to go to an annual Steampunk event that I made months in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have visited other cities that have small parks or green areas scattered around downtown. It make a lot of difference in how nice a downtown feels.

My hometown kind of dropped the ball there. There is a huge park next to downtown which is really nice. So the parts next to the park edge are mostly nice. But further in the is nothing to break up the buildings. They have tried to revitalize downtown, but it really only worked for places within two or three blocks of the park. The rest is not as nice to put it kindly.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wednesday night I finished the blue shirt - shortened sleeves and made a straight/shorter hem line. I think the sleeves are still too wide, may add a pleat or something.
    Thursday night I got yellow blanket binding and thread at JA using the gift card from hubby. I also started wearing a pair of homemade (not by me) gym-style shorts and a shortened T shirt from mom. The shorts really need pockets to be added. Those are my next 2 projects.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lovely pictures ! yes you need a mix of green and buildings. we are getting a lot more built up all over with highrises. even here something came in the mail where at the end of the block ..someone owns the whole block..one story old stores along the front a heritage house and huge pines in the other half. i know he would sell at some point because he inherited..so free $$ in a way. so min couple million he got. six storey place keeping the house. and some of the trees .but will see sometimes they just wreck trees to say oops. last tall ones here lots of wildlife in them. here there are rules about taking down trees but sometimes people just go and cut them down protected or not or city trees for the view and just say ok fine me. a certain group ... there is another lot at the end of our alley same thing but not as nice of a lot no bunches of trees. there was only two rotten buildings that weren't upkept there in the past that were torn down.

some cities don't protect the trees as much and then surprise they develop the land and surprise surprise lots of flooding well all those big trees were sucking up the water. so they made rules trees over a certain size can't be cut down. here when you build you have to have the arbourist come check out your place and pay for it..even if you have no trees. if you have to take a tree down no charge as long as you put a new one up.

almost finished cat ear hat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spent the afternoon sewing. Got ~20 blocks made. At this rate it will not be done by Monday, in time for the quilt guild sewing bee. But then, since I don't have to spend any time tomorrow doing any cutting, I may get more done.

Renmerc, the steampunk event sounds fun. I would love to see photos. We are going to a Star Trek party later tomorrow. Should be nerdy.

Peonies are starting to bloom.

2019 Stash Management-img_20190517_102517313_hdr-effects.jpg

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The herrschnerrs order came a couple of hours ago. Almost all as expected, but one unhappy surprise. I ordered a skein of flame to have some bright red for scarves. Most of my red is dark. I have had flame before and was sure it was red with an orange tinge. I was wrong, and the online swatch didnít quite prepare me. It is absolutely orange and itís so intense as to almost neon. I donít remember that at all. Oh well. A lucky kid or two will get scarves that will keep them safe in traffic at night - lol. I can finally start the basket with the melonberry variegated. Iím using anemone ombre with it and will go with coral rather than flamingo. That should make it a little less pink. That will be a large one. I have one more medium to start. I will probably use wildflowe as the variegated base. Or maybe go with Icelandic, a turquoise and gray. I have a lot of both, and the wildflower would make more cheerful scarves for the kids.

As for the scarves I have an ombre started. After that I may do some solid colors, or alternate solid and variegated.

One project I started that will be something to do now and then is going through my crochet stitch books. I have a photo album with those ďmagneticĒ pages. I am going to cut out the patterns I like best and that could be usable for the kinds of things I make and put them in the album. Then I will discard the books. In the unlikely event I want to do something and donít have a good pattern stitch, there is always Ravelry.

I may do the same with some of my cookbooks. Someday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sooooo...

Here's how our Saturday is going, on the bank of the not so mighty Mississippi River. 😎2019 Stash Management-20190518_163245_1558216369089.jpg