2019 Stash Management - Page 58
Page 58 of 129 FirstFirst ... 8485556575859606168108 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Big nothing of a day today. Just more of the same. We had an impressive thunderstorm last night, got over an inch of rain in a short time. Happily we didn’t lose power this time.

Any of you in this wild and woolly weather this week - keep safe. We seem to be out of it now. Just typical scattered afternoon thunderstorms in the forecast.

I’ll just be working on the baskets and scarves today. Again.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope you had a good weekend camping, SD. We had a very soggy Saturday with thunderstorms all day, a tornado warning and threat of hail, but all we got was rain. I stayed in and sewed. Up to ~43 blocks. It feels like I have a lot to do yet. Blew through one spool of thread and some bobbins.

Rediscovered a gift certificate a friend gave me at christmas. It's for a quilting web store, but they don't carry a wide variety and they're expensive. https://shop.americanquilter.com/fabric/precuts.html I am considering the William Morris 10x10 squares, or possibly one of the white/neutral strip packs. They have a lot of batiks, but I'm not really into those.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Friday was nice. Saturday was cloudy and rainy all day. It poured during the night. It poured last night too, and turned cold and windy. It quit in time for us to pack up this AM, but 50 miles from home we ran into sn-... s-...sss... Dammit! Luckily that didnt last long. It's good to be home.

It was a good weekend overall though. We're now hopeful our dogs will learn to be good campers. For the most part they behaved very well, including when we had people in a car stop for an hour and a half to discuss our trailer. The next day, the people knocked on our door and gave us 2 pints of HM maple syrup as a thank you for our time, and the dogs didn't freak out then either. They did very well.

We're thinking about giving up our big bed makeover I did last year. It works well for sleeping, but there's too much shuffling during the day dealing with the foot platforms. We have so little space to move around in there and no place to go with the platforms, so it's a problem. I'm still thinking it all over since going back to 2 beds means giving up the dinette again, but we're both leaning in that direction. Nothing is perfect but the 2 bed option seems less imperfect than the big bed option at this moment.

We came home with the truck packed to the max, mostly with about 600 pounds of assorted dirt. That should be a good start on our garden projects. Most or all of it will go either into self-watering planters or the terrace spaces for the lillies of the valleys that have needed to be moved for so many years.

I bought parts for the gray water hose. The new jug we bought looks like it will work, but it needs an elbow in the hose connecting it to the camper. It will be nice to have that taken care of, finally.

I got 3 more gowns to make over for babies. Didn't find too much else at thrifts. Since it was pouring rain Saturday, we didn't go to rummage sales either.

It was a good weekend in spite of the weather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Completed 62 blocks. Not going to finish before tomorrow, so I am stopping there and will just enjoy the rest of the day. Debating whether or not to take it with me tomorrow, since it won't get finished at the quilt bee either. If it could be, I could turn it over to the project coordinator to get it quilted. I guess I will take the christmas quilt and disassemble it.

These are the ugly fabrics I am using. I know they are ugly because I bought them all on clearance or as remnants nobody wanted. I've added a few more since this pic was taken.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1022.jpg

This is what the blocks look like. The dark brown on the left is not that dark in person, it is more like a chocolate color. And the blues a little more faded. They can be arranged a variety of ways, I have not decided yet.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1023.jpg
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ch I think it would make a nice quilt for a man or teenage boy. still working on my hat. separated the colours because the next one was so bright compared to the others. would be fine if it was the whole skein but only about half is used. the brighter colours will be the other hat.

you could mix the flame orange with the darker reds for a scarf

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your ugly fabrics aren't that ugly, CH. I like that pattern. The fabrics and blocks would be great for a lodge or cabin decor.

I'm just laying here contemplating the changes needed to the bedding if we switch back to 2 camper beds. It might not be as bad as I thought. Then next winter maybe I could make some fancy quilt tops to cover the ugly flower bedspreads we have now. By then we would know if we want to go back to the big bed or stay with 2 beds again. I suspect there won't be any going back. In Husby's words, everything seems to flow better with the 2 bed arrangement.

Today a guy is coming to discuss installing either AC or a heat pump, thus guarenteeing our temps will not get above 70 degrees this summer. But at least we will finally have AC again. Of course, we will probably get stuck with the stupid 25% tariff we keep being promised the Chinese will pay, but hey, so much winning! Ugh. The last heat pump was $7,000, so if a new one is the same + inflation + tariffs, it's not going to be a fun conversation. That's what we get for procrastinating, I guess.

Not sure what else is on the agenda, but it better involve something to do with the garden. The dirt is still in the truck, too, so we need to get that taken care of. I want to get a few self watering planters made because the tomato plants in the indoor gh are out of control and need to be transplanted. Forecast is for temps in the low 60s instead of low 40s, so that would be a nice change and perfect for working outside.

We need to tinker with the camper a little bit this week, too. It's going to be a busy week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked on a pair of earrings last night, did not like the way they came assembled. Used my last 2 gold-plated fishhooks. Weather is nice this week, I want to work on yard as much as possible.

Figured out my little silver-plated box will live in the foyer to hold dog waste bags handily. It's tarnished again so needs polishing first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quilt bee today. I need to get my stuff together soon and get moving.

More severe weather tonight, they say. It should be nice today, though. It's supposed to push into your neck of the woods, SD, get that dirt out of the truck asap.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on the w-b afgan yesterday but none on Saturday. I expected I wouldn't as I went to the annual Steampunk event I've been going to for years. I did get some work done on a scarf I usually bring with me, just for fun. I ended up sitting next to a vendor for several hours, just crocheting and people watching. But it was fun talking with people while they were waiting to get their coffee (the vendor sold Turkish Coffee). I could have gone to different panels/talks or watched a few musicians but people watching was entertaining.

So, I'm still working on skein #9-ish on the w-b afgan. I will probably have finish the skein by the end of the week. Strange to think it's almost Memorial Day weekend. I will probably kick back and do very little beyond crocheting. The local Renn Faire will be running this weekend but I think I'll go next weekend since a friend will only be at the Faire that last weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M - that’s what I am doing with the flame yarn, but with a basket. I pulled the two lightest reds to mix with it. It’s one of the small baskets. I finally have all the baskets started and yesterday decided which to put together in sets. I wanted a variety of colors which was a little tricky since my yarn leans very heavily to blue, green, purple. That’s why I’ve had to buy some extra. When I first started making them I did four of the original pattern, the medium size. Two were colors, two were light neutrals. When I decided to make sets I went with colors, working mostly with what was on hand, and the neutrals just didn’t fit. I’ve decided to throw those in the car to help corral groceries of the rolling around variety. The green one I started and liked so much I wanted to keep it was released back to the wilds of the Christmas baskets. It’s made with current colors and I would only need a couple more skeins to have enough to make another some other time. I think I’m going to stay with the crocheting until these are all done. It would be great to have Christmas taken care of except for adding individual gift cards and something for little girl.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got the truck unloaded, so that's done.

We shuffled things around inside the fenced area so we can squeeze in the new table garden, but will have to make a portion of fence 2 ft higher so the deer don't reach over and help themselves. Doubtful we will have enough dirt for all the tubs but that's okay. We have a lot going on this year without a bigger garden.

I potted 6 tomato plants and they don't look happy. They don't seem to have good root systems and I'm not sure why. They're in the big gh now so we will see what happens. Hope they survive and thrive. It doesn't look like we will get to the self watering planters this year.

The zucchini died, but I don't have the chicken wire cages made to protect it yet anyway. I still have a couple summer squash and a big bird cage to put one of them in. Guess I better be figuring out the other cages.

We bought 3 Wave petunias yesterday so I put them in a hanging basket. They will think they're in a sauna in the big gh after the freezing conditions they were in at the store. Once the frost danger is past, they can hang on our side deck for the summer to make the hummingbirds happy.

No bats in the bat houses yet. That could take a couple years.

No sign of the AC guy yet. That better not take a couple years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is raining buckets again here today. It did not stay nice very long, by 2 or 3pm it was spitting rain. Here is a photo of the clubhouse where the quilt bee is held. It is an octagonal building so some of the walls will look odd. Several of the ladies were at lunch, so you see some empty seats. There were tables left and right of me where most people had set up sewing machines.

2019 Stash Management-img_20190520_132800789.jpg

I got my christmas quilt taken apart. It went fairly quickly. I was happy with that. Sewed on some blocks for the guild project, and I did two of these for a swap:
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190520_132756430.jpg

Came home via Hobby Lobby. Needed some black fabric for a charm swap. Picked up some cute easter prints @ $2 per yard to make some kid's quilts. The guild is now providing quilts for kids who get taken into protective services. I still have a lot of pastel colors left from a JA binge a couple years ago.

So, there, I now have 7 quilts in progress.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm envious, CH. There are quilt clubs here but they only meet for business, no sewing except a couple expensive retreats every year.

I stripped the camper bed and made it smaller again. It's a lot better already, even before I rearrange all the stuff on the floor and redo the dinette into a bed. The big bed worked, but it made so many little things not work, like covering the spaces for the trash can and dog water bowl, not being able to get to the fuse panel, 12v receptacle, or TV cable hookup, having to remove the CP cabinet door, the folding shelves problem, and all kinds of other irritations that didn't mean much alone, but all together created real problems. One reason I made the big bed is because Husby's bed is so narrow, but he said that didn't bother him. He doesn't like the big bed because when he gets up at night, he can't turn on the little footlight that's below the little bed and by the camper door, at the opposite end of the camper from the big bed. There's other little stuff that bothers him, too. It's all good to know because neither of us will be upset by getting rid of the big bed.

Changing the beds back will result in not having a table with a light directly over it. We discussed solutions and checked Amazon for lighting possibilities, but later when I was in the camper, I realized our bunk fan/lights can hang from the shelf over the cabinet which will replace the table for Husby's purposes, it will plug into the jack it always plugs into, it will run off the trailer battery, it's plenty bright, and I converted it to LED years ago so it doesn't use much power. I'm pleased about this because we don't have to spend money, don't have to store another item, and we know the light is bright enough. It's a win all around. I need to put a bigger hook on it to make it easier to hang, but that's all.

I think today will be all about undoing the mod for the big bed and doing a mod under the bed to improve storage in one of the cargo bays, since the bed is all torn up anyway. That's needed to be done for years but there was some marital discord over it. But Husby mentioned getting it done a couple weeks ago. Since I had forgotten about it, I need to get it done while he's in agreement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yard work here - weather is still nice. Silver box is polished and holding dog bags & mini-flashlight by the front door. I pulled together fabric & clip for another lanyard, just need to press & sew tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We lost water last night. Fortunately we got a repairman out to check it this morning. Even more fortunately it’s just a pump wiring issue. There is a lot of fracking and oil/gas extraction in the area and it’s wrecking wells. If (when?) we have to have it re-dug it’s going to be big bucks. Of course the company accepts no responsibility. Grrrrrr.

I almost got the first small basket done and - gah!!! - ran out of the yellow about two rows from the end. I can tell it’s just going to be one of those weeks. I went through all my leftovers down to ping pong ball size bits and there is not a single scrap of it. I have an appointment in town this afternoon a few blocks from JA but I also have a grocery order to pick up. I can’t get both the walker and groceries in my tiny car and I can’t manage JA with just a cane. Yep. One of those weeks. After all the searching for the yellow I took out the red one and finished that one. I was going to start with the big ones and work down, but decided to start with he small and work up because as I finish them the yarn kept out for them can be put away.

I don’t think the water will be ready in time for me to get decent for the doctor. Definitely bad timing. I can clean up enough with bottled water, and I need a haircut anyway, so I’ll get that on my way and let them wash my hair. Yep. One of those weeks.

And the guy is coming tomorrow for the annual a/c service. At 8:15. A couple of hours before I am usually out of bed. However we’re so far out I accept whatever time servicemen offer. One of those weeks.

On top of all that, the cherry on the cake as it were, Kroger is so out of cherries, what I most wanted, they were not even left on the site as an option to order. On the upside, the weather is nice, I can take a nice long nap when I get home, I’ll have a haircut, and last night I put some “one of those weeks” ice cream in the grocery order. And it was only Monday. Bound to get better. If not, at least there will be ice cream. And naps.