2019 Stash Management - Page 6
Page 6 of 132 FirstFirst ... 34567891656106 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I drove by the neighbour's place yesterday and it looks just as bad still. It also looks like they have added a bunch of stones for a sort of walk way to get out of the house and to the vehicles without hitting much water. But it also looks like the water sitting has spread further back into the back acres of the lot. And there is possible snow coming this weekend. I am sure it will turn into a skating rink there. Bride came for the fitting. I need to take in another 1 and a half to 2 inches on each side still. so Jack the ripper will be my friend here. Still need to hem a pair of boys jeans too, but they are pinned and waiting to be pressed so I can get that done. Hopefully today. We got DS out the door for his last semester at the University. Today I hope I can get the pattern drawn or at least started for the bolero jacket for the bride. It should be a quick thing to do.
    Lovely afghan. I love to do crocheting too. ( and sew and make baskets and embroider and...... Well, you get the picture.) I am also working on a CQ Christmas stocking for my youngest DGD. I have almost all the stocking fabric pieced together then will embellish with embroidery and beads and lace etc. Hope DD likes it for her DD. I did manage the 10,000 steps yesterday but not the 2 previous days. And working on music for the wedding too. AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! lots to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ooh and I forgot to mention I like those crosses too. Look so pretty and what a worthwhile project to work on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Knotme. I found the little safety pins and figured out how to attach them, so that worked out. I will probably set those aside for now to work on at crafts, since I won't need them till I get a whole bunch of gowns done.

I think I need to do marathon cutting of gowns. Not sure how that will work out and if I will be able to stand it because it's so tedious. I can't just stack the fabric up and have at it, everything has to be considered and placed and cut one piece at a time. I think the new clear patterns will help a lot. But I have to start developing some more efficient methods to speed things up, especially the actual sewing. The fun part. 🙂 I need to get my inventory built up so I can find some more hospitals to make gowns for. When I took the last batch to Spearfish, I didn't allow myself enough time and wasn't able to make any boyish gowns or add as much detail on the other gowns as I would have liked. I don't want that failure again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m still chipping away on the organization but making steady progress. I think I’m actually farther along than it looks like. I want to finish up with the beads and buttons today.

Today may also be a sort of kitchen day. I’m debating what to cook but I need to do something. The leftovers are getting pretty thin. I really, really need to catch up on dishes but I burned my thumb a couple of days ago and it still has a hissy fit when hot water hits it so I will probably only wash, very carefully, anything I absolutely must have. I hope I don’t see anyone today because washing my hair would not be pleasant either. With luck by tomorrow my thumb will be less sensitive to heat. It’s ridiculous that so small a thing is so disruptive. Or maybe I’m just a wimp.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been working through my fabric stash. I have three completed skirts. I have a forth one on the couch. I am doing a blanket stich with yarn plus a row of since single crochet for the edge.

After all this my fabric stash has gone from three boxes to ........ Three boxes.

🤔

Later this week I will go through the boxes and see what bulky things I can do stuff with.

I may start on some embroidery tomorrow.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Busy day without much to show. So far I've only gotten this far on 2 little gowns, not even finished.
    2019 Stash Management-20190108_153652_1546983767645.jpg

I ripped up a pink crepe gown with the weirdest construction I've ever seen. Among other oddities, the entire thing was basted together. It also had no zipper opening. I thought for a while it was a prototype, but then noticed the hem was dirty, so someone wore it at least a little. I ripped it because I wanted to use it to embellish a gown I already started a couple years ago, but once I got it done, I realized the pink would not work. I ended up cutting what I needed from a little scrap of deep purple, which required no ripping at all.

I also went through all my sewing trash cans and pulled out anything I think can be used for string quilts or small squares. I got, after folding, half of a gallon Ziploc full. At the least, Husby can use it all to practice sewing.

I've settled on a strategy for cutting, for now. I think I need to cut one entire adult gown at a time, then sew all the resulting baby gowns. They are all slightly different shades of white, and having to try to keep track of which pieces go together would be a pain. Therefore, I won't be able to do the large runs like I do for DfG. But this is way different since with DfG, I deal with large cuts of whole fabric and cut only one shape by the hundreds. With the gowns, I cut several shapes each in several sizes from oddly shaped large pieces that have different decorations that require unique layouts for each one. But, except for the reason these gowns are needed, I enjoy making them. It's not the cutting that takes the time though. It's construction because of all the little details, especially since most of them are different, so I don't have a chance to get faster through repetition.

I'm excited to be back working on this project again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got my 4 bankers boxes of yarn down to three (by leaving out a bag). Stacked them behind my chair so I can walk around a little easier now.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost done with skein #7 on the wool afgan. I will probably finish this skein by this weekend. There's a chance we'll get a snow storm Saturday evening and into Sunday. If that happens, I'll probably stay home and work on the afgan. I just hope the snow holds off (if we get it) until the evening on Saturday. I have plans for earlier that day - an open hearth cooking class. Granted, if it does get cancelled, it will likely be rescheduled but I hope it doesn't need to be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got 20 gown fronts of 4 sizes cut out, which will be a decent run. Still have to cut backs, neck facings, and bonnets but those should go relatively fast. Then I will be able to start sewing. I want to work out the vest pattern, too. That would be very useful. I need to finish the 2 little blue gowns in progress, too. And I need to cut parts for pouches for the babies too tiny or too fragile for gowns. It's a good thing I didn't get the stuff for my bear paw quilt yet!

Most of the time spent on these gowns is dealing with the fronts, so maybe I will be able to get some speed going. The clear patterns have made a HUGE difference. I no longer have to repeatedly lift a paper pattern around the edges, trying to see if the embellishments under it are positioned correctly so I can cut. So much easier and faster now. I'm less obsessed about using the fabric at optimum efficiency, too. That takes a lot of extra time. What I'm finding is I can try laying out stuff a dozen different ways and usually end up cutting the first thing I tried, so I'm not wasting time on worrying about it anymore. If that means there's more waste but less work and stress, so be it. Just do me a favor and don't tell my mother.

I finally made actual paper patterns for the neck facings, too. Those are just round circles, and in the past I rooted around in the lid drawer for the right size piece of Tupperware to trace the right circle. Waste of time, so that problem is corrected.

The backs are all just plain fabric, so it should be easier to squeeze as many pieces out of that as possible.

Little by little, I'm reclaiming my time. I'm way more organized than before, and now I have my work table too, making the entire process infinitely easier.

I need to AF some chicken again today. It's so easy and versatile I want to keep some ready to go at all times, since we no longer buy sandwich meats. I found a salt free southwest spice mix and just sprinkle that on and cook. Yummy!

Errands today, too. Hope GW has some fabric, but I'm not counting on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn’t get much done yesterday. I had not caught up on sleep from my very late night followed by another late night and i finally had to pay the bill. I took a very long nap in the afternoon and dozed off again after supper. Also I had ordered Boggon’s book Visual Guide to Crazy Quilt Desigb and it came yesterday and I spent time reading some of that. I I had debated getting it but I am very glad I did. It may be the best I have and is full of information about how to keep crazy quilt blocks from just being a cluttered mess. Along the way she commented that she had all her embellishments organized by color rather than type. It was nice to have an expert tell me I’m doing it right and that all this reorganization is the way to go. At least one person doesn’t think dumping all my red thread of all types together in a bin isn’t nuts.

All of the difficult bead sort is done and now it’s mostly just a matter of getting all the little containers into the right trays. Ditto on buttons. I have a mountain of empty floss bobbin boxes piled on the table. I need to got those off and bagged to be kicked upstairs to the attic. That will help a lot. I think today I may focus mostly on getting things put away. First I’ll finish up stowing the beads and buttons. Then I can put away the extra table which will be a huge relief. It is so in the way getting to my recliner is a challenge. That is not a good thing. I hope by tomorrow I can report great strides forward in getting the chaos under control. There must be an end this somewhere -lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D, I don't know if you do anything like this, but we keep inventory lists for a couple key areas, namely the spare building supplies stored under our house and the stuff in our safety deposit box. Those are inconvenient places for us, and we don't look at them often so tend to forget what's there. It might be useful for you to keep a list of what's in your attic, if you don't. It might save searching for things later on.

Got the gown backs cut without a lot of waste, which was nice. Still have to cut bonnets, which are just rectangles so I can use a ruler and rotary cutter. Should go fast. Have to do neck facings, too, and an extra front since I cut an extra set of backs by mistake. I should be able to get almost everything done tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am so glad we are frugal and not living paycheck to paycheck.

My husband has mentioned cutting back on our vacation plans this coming year to have more if a cushion next time this happens.

I started practicing some embroidery stitches. I think I need more practice before doing an actual project. In addition to my new embroidery book, I have an old reader's digest book of embroidery. The old book has more stitches but I was not inspired by the projects in it.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - you could embroider your bears when you make them. Sadly that might be a good plan to get a larger cushion. That ignores the fact that this should never happen at all, but I guess that’s the world we live in now.

CH - when the attic got its makeover recently my friend took photos of stuff and where it was. That should be enough to keep track of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D, that was me about the inventory. Good idea about pics.

Nothing too exciting at GW today, but I did pick up a bag of little fabric flowers for the gowns. I was sort of lukewarm about them but now that I have a chance to look them over out of the bag, I see there are 7 little bunches, 5 with 3 flowers with pearl centers and 2 with 5 roses with rhinestone centers. One of the bunches of three is missing 1 flower, otherwise all of them are complete. All the flowers are white, so will look great on the gowns. I also found a detailed receipt in the bag. The flowers originally sold for just over $15, which is nuts. I like them a lot better now since I only paid $1. I will make good use of them.2019 Stash Management-20190109_193708_1547084285016.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I’m still chipping away on the organization but making steady progress. I think I’m actually farther along than it looks like. I want to finish up with the beads and buttons today.

Today may also be a sort of kitchen day. I’m debating what to cook but I need to do something. The leftovers are getting pretty thin. I really, really need to catch up on dishes but I burned my thumb a couple of days ago and it still has a hissy fit when hot water hits it so I will probably only wash, very carefully, anything I absolutely must have. I hope I don’t see anyone today because washing my hair would not be pleasant either. With luck by tomorrow my thumb will be less sensitive to heat. It’s ridiculous that so small a thing is so disruptive. Or maybe I’m just a wimp.
    burns are hard to deal with. I have had that too with them can't wash dishes etc. but I find if I keep something cold on it a lot for long periods off and on helps with the sensitivity

Page 6 of 132 FirstFirst ... 34567891656106 ... LastLast