2019 Stash Management - Page 60
Page 60 of 78 FirstFirst ... 10505758596061626370 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - I just saw a report that in a study DC was judged to have the best city park system in the country. You would probably agree with that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    As part of my attempt to unearth my work table, I finished the organizer I wanted for the van so I can get that out of the way. I guess it's pretty much made of trash because I salvaged the basket and repurposed 3 litter jugs and some plastic bottles to hold stuff. The jugs will be for trash, dog leashes and misc, and snacks and beverages, tentatively anyway. The bottles are for an assortment of small items, note pads, pens, hand wipes, an assortment of stuff we usually have along. There's very little space for stuff in the van, so putting this between the front seats will be a huge help to keep stuff off the floor and from being lost under the seats or migrating underfoot all the time, and help prevent not having what we need. It's not pretty,
    but it will do the job for the cost of a few cable ties. Attachment 48783
    it looks great! a good idea

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cute hat Martha. I like the variegated look.

DC, hope you have a good day. You seem to be making good progress with the baskets. We have a meadow instead of a lawn, too. Yesterday our next door neighbor had a pond.

SD, sounds like you have quite the project going with your camper do-over. Have fun, you love to re-purpose stuff.

Kathy, I've never head of zucchini coming back, but I suppose it must be native to some climate where it does. There does come a point later in summer when I get tired of it, too, though I haven't grown it in years. I put in yellow squash last week, to see if it will grow. Sometimes I get lucky.

I wouldn't consider the brown blocks "primitive", but it is an old fashioned pattern. It's called 'corner 4-patch' and I chose it because it is simple and quick to sew. The fabrics are very plain, but they have good contrast which I think is the most important aspect of quilt design, even before color. If you can't see the pattern it doesn't matter if you have bright colors or fancy prints, it will just be a blur. Like this one I took a photo of yesterday. I like the pattern but you can barely tell what it is.

2019 Stash Management-img_20190521_140741138.jpg

It is 'next door neighbor', but the pattern maker has renamed it to 'gifts from friends'. When it is made right it should form a star. Maybe the maker wanted it to look like that, I don't know, but I would not have done it that way.

The term 'primitive', at least as it is used around here to apply to quilts implies something purposely made in a crude or unskilled way, with mismatched blocks, wonky stars or hearts. Usually there is applique, and usually that is wool or flannel. Here is an example wall hanging. A lot of work goes into them, but it is not my thing. I'm not into making new stuff look old on purpose.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I figured out a super simple way to support the shower head in the camper. It will be only 2 or 3 pieces of 1" PVC that will come apart to fit in the small tote that is the shower pan and which holds all the shower parts for storage. The original plan was to put it on a pole extending up from the floor, which requires putting screws into the cabinet face. But the new idea is to Velcro the pipe horizontally on top the galley shelf so it extends inside the shower curtain and Velcro the shower head to the pipe so it points downward. Simple and quick, I hope, and won't leave a mark anywhere. Worth a try anyway. If that doesn't work, I have another option, so I think one or the other should be okay.

I do love a good repurpose.

I found 3 different brands of Royal Burgundy bean seeds locally today, after having looked all over the Range for them. Duh. I bought a packet because if this cold weather continues all summer, I won't get any from my own. I will still save some of my own if I can. I also bought Yukon gold and some red seed potatoes. We can't find blue potatoes anywhere this year. We can't grow many because we don't eat many potatoes, but they taste so good fresh out of the ground.

Cold, windy, and rainy here today. Nothing is going to grow in this weather.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have not done a blessed thing today. At least not anything very productive. I was still tired from yesterday and having the a/c guy here at such an unholy hour didn’t help. As predicted after he left and I got breakfast I slept another couple of hours, then just frittered away the afternoon. I worked on another grocery order, a small one, with the new ad. Since I’ll be near the store tomorrow I might as well pick up a few more things. Strawberries and a little other produce, and some odds and ends to use up expiring coupons for things I frequently use.

I am going to start deliberate floor demolition. I thought of leaving the floor concrete, probably stained, when I built the house, but I really, really wanted a light floor. That was a really really bad mistake because it meant vinyl. I started with my rolling chairs on mats and hated them. So I took them up and though I knew the chairs were likely to do some damage to the floors it soon became obvious just how much damage was it would be. The top laminate layer bubbled, the the bubbles flaked off leaving grungy gray patches. So I went to rugs which worked better with the chairs, covered the damage, and presumably protected the floor from further damage. But now the rugs are going. It makes it harder to clean, and for the rug under the worktabke where I sew, very much harder to clean. Thread bits are evil. Thee rugs are also a trip hazard. I have fallen twice since I moved here, not recently, and both were trips on the rugs. The last thing I need at my age is a broken bone or two. So the floors are on their own. The chairs and other rolling stuff are welcome to make them as hideously leprous as they like.

I have a roof that doesn’t leak, running water, at least most of the time, working appliances, and a bathroom. That’s a good house as far as I’m concerned. It doesn’t have to be Southern Living beautiful. Happily I have never been house proud. Functional always wins the day.

Eventually I will probably take it back down to the concrete, though the logistics of that while actually living in the house would not be any fun at all. But that’s for the future. In the meanwhile perhaps I should just scoot around all over the floor and call the resulting pattern “Dappled.”

Ok. All that’s off topic. Time to get supper and start crocheting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The rain is back, there is thunder and little red boxes all over the radar. Waiting on friends in Tulsa to report in safe. We should be ok here.

Assembled 13 more brown blocks, up to 75 now. Need 108. Have to break out another remnant of beige and make more 4-patch segments tomorrow. Maybe. Or Friday, maybe. I get my first new IV Friday, and no idea how that will affect me. We are switching over to hobby modeling and painting for the long weekend.

Anyway, this is my other project, very scrappy blocks with blue centers. I stalled on this because it is boring. Here are 6 blocks placed side by side, one possible arrangement.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1028.jpg

I'm considering using the light blue paisley as spacer blocks, it would look something like this:

2019 Stash Management-dscn1029.jpg
    But I have less than a yard of the paisley so it won't go far.

Alternately, I could arrange the blocks on the diagonal. So many possible ways it can be done. I'm kind of stumped.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1030.jpg

What I'd really like to find is a couple yards of a light multicolored print that would go with the blue.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Of those, I think I prefer the diagonal. Itís a stronger pattern.

No groceries tomorrow. No haircut. No Joannís. I totally jinxed myself with that last post. I put things away in the fridge, turned around, caught my shoe on the rug and crashed to the floor, gimpy knees first. Ouch! I donít think Iíll be going to town for awhile.

I just ordered the yarn online. I also got a couple of skeins of RH Classic orange, not in stores. Itís a bright yellow orange, the color I used with the lemon and parrot. I loved the combination and I am definitely going to make myself a basket with that combo. I picked up the orange to be sure I have enough. Itís yarn I bought years ago and thereís not much of it left. Today the shipping was still 2.99. I had to get the three pack of yellow which I donít mind, and the orange was 2.60 something for the small skeins - why I stopped buying Classic. I still probably spent less than I would have in the store. Could I go in, see all that beautiful yarn and just buy two skeins of yellow and the parrot if they still had it? Not a chance. I found the parrot on Amazon for 5.19. Given that itís 4.99 at Herrschners thatís a good deal. So Iím set to finish the yellow basket and eventually make one for me.

I hope your IV med works for you CH, and doesnít have any bad side effects. You donít whine like I do, but you have had more than your share of pain. Good luck with this

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with the new meds, CH. I hope all goes well. I like both quilt designs.

We reset the dinette for bunk use again. I reconfigured the cushions though and figured out some changes to make the bedding work better. I think it will be a big improvement and it will certainly make it much easier to deal with the bedding for laundering.

I figured out some minor changes for the bigger bed, too. Those will make it easier to access a storage area we couldn't use at all with the extended bed. We also could not get into the compartment on the other end which contains the inverter, fuse panel, TV cable jack, 12v jack, and the heavy power cord that plugs into shore power. The cord sometimes get tangled inside its space and can't be pulled out, which isn't good of course. It would not be fun to have to dismantle the big bed to open the lid on that compartment to untangle the power cord, so this will be a good change. I had to make the bed slightly smaller than it was, so I hope it works out since both dogs will have to sleep with me now. I'm not happy about losing the dinette again, but I'm so excited to see functionality returning to our beloved camper. Can't wait to get it all done and put back together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ouch, DC! Sorry about your knees, hope it is not too bad today. The new yarn sounds pretty. Yellow is such a cheerful color. I hope we get to see pics of the baskets.

I am planning to do some sewing today, I am not sure what. I had an idea for some easy children's quilts using fabric I recently bought. I picked up partially used 2.5" strip packs at a quilt show, they are pink and white. I can cut one of the easter prints into blocks and use the strips for sashing, and voila, a quilt. I just have to do a little math before I cut.

Will probably go out later, too, just because I can. And DH wants to see a movie tonight.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m sore today but not as much as I thought I would be. Still it’s enough that there’s no way I would go to town.

I’ll finish up the last small basket today, except for the tiny bit left on the yellow one. I’m using two of the medium ones I already had made so I will be able to carry on with the third one of those. I need to move around off and on so I don’t really stiffen up, so maybe I can get some of the yarn put away. That task went nowhere last night. I’ll get some pictures tomorrow or Satirday

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry about your knees, D. It sounds like you're doing okay in spite of it, so that's a positive.

Husby's bunk makeover has commenced. I dug out a sheet that had 2 matching pillowcases and made 3 overgrown pillowcases to cover the 3 cushions that make up the mattress. I decided 3 separate cushions made more sense than the 1 big one he had before, since the pantry has to sit on top the mattress. The way it was before, the pantry had to be removed to wash the bedding. It was inconvenient to say the least. I may combine the 2 he actually sleeps on, but if they stay separate, it would be easy to open the space under that bed to get the stuff stored there. Here's what I have done so far. Nothing too interesting, but you can see what I'm working on. The pantry is a mess because we haven't set it up for the season yet. It normally has a basket on either end full of staple foods and zome of the stuff in it now goes elsewhere. 2019 Stash Management-20190523_144230_1558642542748.jpg

This is the bunk fan/light I mentioned the other day, hanging above the cabinet beside Husby's bed. Should have thought of that years ago. The paper towels are conveniently located where they can be strategically unrolled to use as a lampshade to ward off glare at the other end of the camper. LOLOLOL! Am I tacky or what?
    2019 Stash Management-20190523_144357_1558642888648.jpg

I thought of a plastic dishpan and Husby thoughtfully searched in the garage and found it. His shoes were a big problem when he slept in that bed before, because he left them on the floor where they inevitably were either in the way of opening the fridge door or were a tripping hazard at the top of the steps. We both need about 4 pairs of shoes, so I had to find a solution. The dishpan is a perfect fit to sit on top the toaster oven, which is in a case. The toaster oven sits under his bed, so the shoes will be convenient but out of the way. It should work well, I hope. Gotta try and see.

Next up I will remove the adaptation I added to the blankets to fit over the ned extention. I think all the changes should be easy and probably won't take all that long.

The new memory foam, which is now almost completely poofed, has been warned it has until I get Husby's bunk done to prepare itself, and then I will be performing its surgery. Then I can start on that bedding. Most of this bedding stuff can be done during evening TV time and not take away from more urgent projects. If it wasn't cold and wet we would be working on those today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD I think you could toss a blanket or towel over the 3 cushions to make them seem more like 1 pad, it would be easy to remove and wash as needed.
    CH I like the diagonal arrangement.
    I cut some squares in half diagonally for the dogs, need to sew the hems. Cut some square quilt blocks w/ leftovers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, DLR. That's an idea.

I got a good start on the blankets. I need to make them all longer, but that's okay. The sewing will go quickly. It's the ripping that takes the time. That hasn't been that bad either. I hope to finish the first bed tomorrow, but I have to make dog food first and that always takes a while. I'm in a big hurry to get the beds all done because all the bedding and cushions are piled on the counters now in the way, so I can't work on anything else.

I remembered to buy the thumb screws today ($1each!) for the camper clothesline. I have everything I need to do the job now.

I have approximately 9,532,765 projects in mind all competing for my attention now. Luckily, things seem to be falling in place fast and easy for a change. Hope it continues.

As soon as the weather straightens out, we can hurry up and get the new roof put on the gh so the panels are out of the garage before they get damaged. It will be good to get that all done, too. And of course we still need to haul trash. The dock and bikes are not in. The table garden is not planted. The to-do list keeps growing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Meant to say the table garden is not built and the potatoes are not planted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's spring, SD, the list of chores is endless. Summer will be here before our spring chores are anywhere near done.

Today was a case of "best laid plans..." and all that. I went out in the morning to hit a party supply store for some fishing net for a costume, and DH texted asking if I wanted to meet for lunch.... right across the street. LOL! After lunch I continued shopping, though I did not go to JA. I was looking in Michael's for sea shells.... OMG I cannot believe how expensive those are. I wish I had kept all the ones we picked up as kids. And before I knew it it was 4pm. So I dropped stuff off at DH's office that he had asked for and went to the thrift store to kill time. No sense driving home in rush hour only to turn around and drive back for dinner at 6pm, and the movie. The thrift store was a bust. Lots of polo shirts and uniform pants, nobody here wears interesting clothing.

I got some fabric at Michael's. They had these fabric packs on clearance. It will mix well with the pastels I already have too much of. What can I say, I had a headache and I wasn't thinking clearly. https://www.michaels.com/cricut-gard.../D042144S.html

More rain tonight, at least it is not life threatening.

Use it up, Wear it out,