2019 Stash Management - Page 61
Page 61 of 83 FirstFirst ... 11515859606162636471 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been very busy so just kind of skimming the posts.

We do have some nice parks here. I think they may be counting things like our national monuments and memorials. And we have several sculpture gardens that are part of museums. But the museums are part of the Smithsonian which is part of the government so I think they count. There is also the national arboretum which is very nice. Unfortunately it is in a not very nice neighborhood so I have only been a couple of times. I am not snobbish about neighborhoods. It just felt a bit unsafe.

I don't think I posted my national Mall pictures yet. It is not a shopping area. It is a big grassy area one block wide and about two miles long. Sometimes there are festivals and protests there. It is where presidential inaugurations take place.

I remember taking these when someone remarked about not being able to walk on the grass. You can walk on this grass. Sometimes people eat and play on it too.

The long pointy thing is the Washington Monument.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190516_132300114_hdr_1558702361080.jpg

The round roof building in the background is Congress.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190516_133127426_1558702457507.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a fact, CH. Every year is the same. Every year we make plans, every year the plans blow up in our faces. What garage ceiling? It seems worse this year. Normally I worked on my own and it was easier to focus, but with Husby home full time now, plans and priorities change quickly. I've concluded I don't care what gets done as long as we make progress on something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haven't been doing much on the w-b afgan. Right now I guess I'm getting a bit stir-crazy with the weather being so nice. I'm also trying to get more exercise in, both to lose weight (which I need to do) and because I was recently told I have high blood pressure. Losing weight will help reverse the HBP but I also read that exercise in general will help as well. Then again, I've been meaning to get back in the garden more these last couple of years that it's nice to actually do that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The dastardly rugs are gone. Two that were very worn anyway are in confinement awaiting their one way trip to the dump and the good mats are exiled to the attic. The one left is in the bedroom and the worst it could do is make me fall on the bed. I can live with that.

One of the rugs was under the yarn cabinet so I had not yet put away any yarn, not wanting to make it any heavier than it already was. Today all that can finally be stowed away. I didn’t do much yesterday, but did finish the little left on the last of the small baskets except the one waiting for yarn. That should only take a few minutes to complete, so I am calling those done. I have two medium to do, green and turquoise. The green was on top so I worked on that a little last night.

The other yarn, all the variegated and the leftovers, are also a mess. Cakes and balls are beginning to come unwound from rummaging around in their containers so I also need to go through those and get them tidied up. That may not get done today though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

glad your fall wasn't more serious. drove my friend to the airport yesterday so ended up by michaels..so had to look lol lots of clearance yarn so got some more caron cakes on clearance and one that came out in the beginning but never really saw. plus they had grab bags...I am a sucker for a grab bag so got an easter wreath for $4 and box of things decorative stuff. always get my money back and fancy wreaths are always close to 100 new. my laptop screen broke as a fluke last night so dh found another old one for me. running out of room for yarn!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Renmerc, exercise will help you in so many ways. Hope you're able to get out and enjoy the nice weather soon.

Good riddance on those rugs, DC! Enjoy your yarn.

Sounds like good deals M. I haven't been brave enough to take a chance on the Michael's grab bags. But I keep a close eye on their markdowns.

Round 1 of the chemo went well. No effects yet. I opted to skip Hobby Lobby because holiday weekend traffic was beginning to get heavy. Just wanted to get home.

Looks like another stormy night here.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's cold, windy, and rainy again. I can't seem to get motivated today. I made dog food and did some more prep on the 3 blankets. I decided I also need to trim 2" off the long cushion that goes under the pantry, but can't get excited about that. I should use my hot knife but I've never cut foam with it and can't seem to get the energy to figure it out. Doubt it's complicated.

Husby has been on the phone all day taking care of pension and assorted insurance. I don't envy that job. I guess we're going to Duluth next week for more paperwork. Oh, yea. I'm sick of shopping but it seems like a wasted trip if we don't take advantage of stores we normally don't get to. Hope JA has a good sale for a change.

The AC guy finally showed up. He thinks he might know what's wrong with our heat pump and how to fix it. Trying not to get my hopes up. I would love not to have to replace the dang thing right now.

Well, in between starting this before the AC guy came and finishing it, I cut the bed pad down and got that put back in the camper, and also cut the scrap to fit at the head of Husby's bed since the 2 pads were a little bit short. I made a slipcover for that too. The mattress and bottom sheet is all done for his bed is done now. Trimming the cushion will make it easier to open the fridge door and make some space for blankets.

I used the hot knife and decided there's a learning curve. It appears the blade cools down as it cuts, so I think if I go slower it would work better. Not sure if I will use it for the memory foam or not. An electric knife works just as well and does not give off fumes. I bought the hot knife for cutting ribbon and nylon webbing and it does great for both, so I won't be bothered if I don't cut foam with it.

I really want to get the beds done. We might actually want to go somewhere again. Besides, with the beds all torn up there's no room in there to do anything else.

Glad I got something done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CHEMO!? How did I miss that news? I hope all goes well. My mom went through chemo almost 20 years ago, 9 hour sessions every 3 weeks for what seemed like forever, but has been fine since after a recovery period. I wish the same good outcome for you.

We decided to brave the rain to hit 2 garage sales. Found a few things but nothing I was looking for. I decided I hate all the camper bedding. Everything is oriented wrong for the 'new' configuration and will have to be pieced a lot. I plan to go through the house bedding and see what I have, since I need to decrease that stuff anyway, and then BOLO for some matchy comforters. Husby is always cold so we're going back to comforters instead of bedspreads. I don't have any that match, but I will find some, or maybe spend the money on some nice wildlife print to make some. I will scope out JA next week. I'm probably too cheap for that though. I might find something at a garage sale, too. City wide sales are next weekend in the town next door, so might have some luck there.

Our new thrift store opened today. It's very nice. I bought two remnants for the quilt stash, both red, for $1, and a large chunk of black moosehide for $5, a huge bargain. It's at least 3 sf and I'm pretty sure it came from the local bootmaker, so it's good quality.

A couple weeks ago, Husby was wishing for a bigger battery box for a deep cycle RV battery we have. He got a brand new one at a sale today for $4. Not bad. I got a pkg of 23 disposable cutting mats for $1. That will probably be a lifetime supply in the camper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry about the chemo, that sucks.
    I managed to forget about the blanket binding for a whole week, remembered last night. Too big to drag down to dad's house today. I'm planning to hand baste it before using the sewing machine -too slippery. Not that I need a blanket right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool and humid today, probably going to warm up and be a real steamer.

First session with the new drug was not too bad. I could have done without the tv blaring soap operas. Took about 3 hours to do the drip. I was super tired after, but feel ok today. I have to do it again in 2 weeks, then once a month for the rest of my life or until it becomes ineffective. Well, first we find out if it has any effects. I don't feel tired and fog-headed like I did with the other drug. It may be weeks before relief becomes apparent.

We had a tornado come by last night to say hello. Sirens went off about 8pm and lights went about 8:02. We hung out in the basement a while, but realized the real danger was south of us. Went to bed early, power came back some time in the night.

DH and I are going to do some hobbying today. Hope everyone has a good weekend and gets lots done.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - I’m really glad all went well for you, both medically (so far) and weatherwise. I totally agree with you about tv in environments where you are a captive audience. There oughta be a law!

I have a bad case of the lazies. I didn’t accomplish much yesterday but did finish the green basket. Perhaps today I’ll be a little more motivated to do something. I’d say the odds are about even. I should at least be able to finish the last medium basket. The four large ones are going to take a little longer.

Poor abandoned embroidery! But I’ve shifted into crochet mode and I’ll just go with it while it lasts. With all the baskets I only have a few scarves made. I really want to get as many of those made by fall as I can without turning it into grim duty. So while I’m still enjoying crocheting I’ll see how many I can make. After the baskets are done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, would noise cancelling headphones work for you? I don't know much about them, but people use them on planes and stuff.

I cut down the new memory foam with the electric knife which worked well. Now my bed is ready to start the bedding makeover. We cleared out all the spare cushions, so the mounds of foam and bedding that were stacked on the cabinets are dwindling. I might get the camper under control someday soon.

I also cut pieces to fit Husby's cushions from the egg crate foam we had on the extended bed. He said he didn't need it but since we have it, may as well use it. He can't use the leftover memory foam since it has to be in front of the pantry, but the egg crate is the right thickness. He's out there now, taking his new bed for a test-nap. Must be comfy. He's been out there an hour.

Can't decide what to do about bedding, so I'm going to piece together what we have and see what turns up at garage sales or thrifts this summer. I need to quit obsessing about somethjng we use a few days per year. It never bothered me before, and I know if I'm patient, I will find nice things for cheap.

I cut out the pattern pieces for the Aliner mug rug pattern I bought a while back. I want to put the blocks on the front of the pantry baskets and get the basket covers made this year. I say that every year though. The dumb part is it would be a fun project and probably wouldn't take long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby said he wasn't napping this morning, only reading. Sure he was. But after I added the egg crate foam, he gave that a try and said it's much more comfy. Glad I took the time to add even when he said he didn't need it.

Over a year ago I made falafel mix, but was lacking one ingredient. I set it aside without noting the ingredient because I planned to buy it right away in town and figured I wouldn't forget. But of course I did. I finally decided I had to guess or the mix would never get used up and we would never know if it was any good. When I looked at the recipe, I realized the missing ingredient had to be baking soda, because I buy everything else at Fleet Supply out of town. So I added baking soda. A while later, I was looking at a second copy of the recipe and it said baking powder. This mix was starting to seem cursed. I looked online and baking powder was correct, so I added that too. I made the falafel for supper and it's a keeper. It has a minor bitter aftertaste from the baking soda but it's edible. Otherwise, we like it. This will be a good addition to our vegetarian meal options and it's so quick and easy to make, that will be helpful too. We had it with yogurt but I think it would be good with horseradish sauce or mustard. Guess you can see we're not bound by tradition.

Still ripping blankets, but the solutions to the problems are becoming clearer, which helps. I was hoping to finish tomorrow, but it's supposed to be 65 and sunny so we need to work on the gh roof. Monday sounds rainy again though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My mouth is watering at the thought of falafel. I make mine with lots of pureed broccoli stems mixed in. You can serve it with hummus, or tahini sauce, which I like. I know you have made tahini.

Headphones might help with the tv, and the beeping machine that is right next to my head the whole time. I have some good earplugs from my days in manufacturing, I should dig those out.

DC, hope you got a lot of crochet done today!

We ended up going over to a friend's for an afternoon social. No hobbying going on here. Going to have leftovers for dinner.

Oh look, more storms moving in.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

See if they can turn off the annoying beeping machine. Mom's nurses did when she asked. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Tell me more about how you prep broccoli stems to puree. That sounds good. I wonder if I can mix up the falafel and broccoli and freeze it, then cook from frozen in the AF. Maybe the broccoli would get runny.

I made a nice large batch of tahini and did not realize it would get moldy. I need to make it again and freeze it in ice cube trays. We liked it.

If you eat falafel in pitas, what do you put in with it?