2019 Stash Management - Page 62
Page 62 of 194 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572112162 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to find a good hummus recipe that goes well with veggies and has lots of flavor and not much salt. Could be a challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

By turn off the beeping machine, I mean just turn off the beeper, of course.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is the recipe I use for hummus. https://disgustinglygood.com/2010/07...nd-the-secret/ The flavor is just lemon, garlic, salt, and good oil. I have an old recipe that calls for a tsp of paprika, and I have seen some that use a tsp of cumin. Some people like a dash of hot sauce.

Anyway, the secret to moist falafel is to grind up your odds and ends of vegetables into the mix. Onion, carrot, broccoli, whatever. I take broccoli stems and peel them. You will be able to see the soft white inner core of the stalk. That is perfectly edible and among other things it makes a great soup. Put the vegs in a food processor or chopper until you have a coarse paste. Let it drain if it is wet, or squeeze in a towel. Now you can mix into the chickpea flour. I have not tried freezing the vegs, but cooked falafel freeze well and can be microwaved later.

At a cooking demo last week they made an amazing garden pesto out of, of all things, radish tops. (That may be all I get from my radishes this year). It was several big handfuls of leaves, a big handful of cilantro (any green herbs will work), garlic, lemon, oil, parmesan, and whatever nuts you have on hand. They used pecan. Not only was it amazing by itself, but they mixed it with a plain hummus and it was seriously good.

I've also made red bell pepper hummus, which was pretty good too. DH won't eat peppers, and even he liked it.

If you're not toasting your pita for extra flavor, do that, too. Most plain pita is bland, unless you are getting it bakery fresh, and needs a little golden toasty flavor boost.

We add tzatsiki (yogurt, garlic, cucumber), lettuce, tomato, onion and cucumber slices, to our falafel sandwiches, just like gyros. Sometimes I don't have all that, we just add whatever we have.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That sounds like some ambitious cooking.

I finished the last medium basket yesterday. One of the yarns was one of old thick stiff RH, which made it harder to work. I did about five rows on the first large one and it’s much easier going.

The small ones are 56 stitches around and 20 rows up the sides. The medium and large are both 80 stitches around. The medium has 23 rows on the sides (this was the original pattern), and for the large I use 34 rows.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the info, CH. The hummus looks good with lots of ways to customize it.

The broccoli idea sounds good, too. Should be easy in a little electric chopper I have.

We've tried tzatziki sauce and it didn't have much flavor. I've been meaning to try different recipes, and adding garlic would improve it.

I'm really happy the falafel mix turned out so good. It's the first recipe I tried and that doesn't usually happen. It will be even better without the baking soda next time. I can change up the flavor in that mix, too.

I tried sprouting radishes over winter and those were so good. The bigger the sprouts got, the more radish flavor they had. I plan to use them again especially in winter. Radishes are very expensive here in winter and half the time they're black in the middle. Sprouts have better flavor and they're fresher and so good on sandwiches and salads. Shoulda discovered them years ago.

We got 12 of 16 new panels cut for the gh roof and 6 installed, so one side is done except the 2 roof windows on that side. It's a huge improvement, no more cracks, holes, and yellowing. The store manager upgraded the 4x8 panels when Husby bought them because the store's online inventory was off and there were not enough of them unless Husby took a damaged one. Husby asked for an additional discount on the sale price of the one damaged panel or the sale price on 1 more expensive panel instead of the damaged one. The manager offered 6 of the more expensive ones at the sale price of the cheaper ones we had planned on, and they're very nice with a 10 year warranty. We appreciated that. The gh will be happy to have new clothes and so will our plants that will get more sun through nice new clear panels. With luck, it won't take long to get the whole roof done. Most of the time today was in the cutting and that's mostly done now. I think it's good we decided to just replace the whole roof this year. The old roof was so fragile we expected disaster every winter. The roof still has to be scraped in winter, but it should hold up better now. The old panels are so brittle they're like potato chips, and I don't mean the ripple kind. Still have some corrugated fiberglass to install, too, but we don't have to be up ladders for that.

I checked and the beans and peas are sprouting, so if we get a few warm days we should be seeing some little green heads coming through.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We were going to work on the new table garden too, but when we went to get the steel box, there was a 1 inch long pink and green toad sitting on it, so darn cute. I couldn't disturb the poor little guy, not after all the cold weather we had lately. He looked so content sunning himself. The garden can get done some other time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hopefully the chemo works and doesn't cause problems. one thing with michaels grab bags is that is it normally leftovers from the season just before. and some like the wreath you know what you are getting. the boxes you don't know what is inside but the bags are easy to figure out.

home from scout learning camp. 3 of my sparks dads are starting a scout group..got the vibe of well I don't do enough though I am the one doing everything. not 3 friends w daughters. plus no experience when it is a room of other peoples little kids. like you don't bother to reply to emails but yet I am suppose to spend up to 80hrs of my time planning and running a camp. but you can't say that.

thought would be able to crochet more but those bunks were made not that high. my cat ear hat was a hit so making more. plus easy. 2019 Stash Management-60839474_10157720388287971_4013186401653751808_n.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    That sounds like some ambitious cooking.
    Nah, most of it consists of dumping stuff in the blender or food processor and hitting a button. The hard work is not eating it right out of the mixer bowl.

Tzatziki isn't really supposed to have much flavor. Also, the flavor is highly dependent on the quality of your yogurt. Like Indian raita it is a palate cleanser. If your food is too spicy, have a bite of tzatziki. It replaces mayo in a gyro sandwich, and gravy on kibbe or falafel. It's a mild or neutral food, but make it with as much lemon and garlic as you like.

Great deal on the GH panels! I bet you are really glad to have that done.

Not sure if we are getting rain tonight. I see storms moving out west, can't tell if it will hit us yet, or not. Tomorrow is the next storm, I think.

Cute wreath, M!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, I'm happy the gh is as far along as it is. We made the roof a priority because the panels are in the way in the garage and we don't want them to get damaged. And besides we need them to be done.

True about tzatziki being a palette cleanser. I knew that but had forgotten.

Looks rainy tomorrow, Tuesday we go to Duluth, Wednesday we will be tired, Thursday and/or Friday I hope we can haul trash, and Saturday is the city wide sales. It's going to be a busy week. I'm hoping to find spreads or comforters for the camper, of course.

Today's obsession about the camper, since I figured out the bedding even though it's not done, is the handrail that goes next to the door. I've wanted that for 7 years, especially after Husby fell coming out of the camper a few years ago at Badlands NP. Didn't realize they were available after market till last year when I found one at the RV dealer in GR, where I couldn't wait to buy it. I figured out how to install it and it will only take 4 bolts, so I hope it will be quick and easy. We're getting to the age where a handrail is an important safety feature. I'm focusing on these little, easy projects because replacing the broken AC and outside shower are projects I'm very much not looking forward to. Procrastination at its finest. But it's still forward progress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy dance here. I dragged the shower tote to the camper and it's a perfect fit in its intended spot. There's even room left over! I keep feeling like there's something I'm forgetting that has to go under Husby's bed where so much stuff is stored, but I've relocated or completely removed several items as I think of better storage arrangements, so I hope that's the reason for the empty spaces.

I'm mentally working on the shower, but today's goal is to get Husby's bedding done. I hope to get at least some of mine done, too.

We have a space under my bed that is awkward to use. It's also deep, so there is wasted space at the back because it's hard to reach. All we've had in it are 2 spare comforters rolled up in bags that don't want to fit through the door of that space. The worst is the door is hinged on the top, so in order to use that cabinet, the process is to lay down flat on the floor, swing the door open, try to prop it up with my head, and then wrestle the comforters out. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get this annoyed with that whole mess, so the trailer mod list just got longer. I measured the spaces involved and will buy a tote tomorrow that will fit there. Then sometime soon when it's not pouring rain, I'll flip that dang cabinet door so it hinges on the bottom and opens to lay on the floor. Those 2 simple changes will make the space infinitely easier to use. We will lose a few cubic inches putting a tote in, but gain a lot more space in the back of the cabinet that's not being used now since we can't reach in there. Well worth the $10 a tote is likely to cost us and the few minutes it will take to flip the door. Now is the time, before I get my bed reassembled. It will be easy to open the top of the bed platform now to work on this project. The hand rail might have to wait a little longer.

But first, blankets...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished the first large basket last night. If I can do one every day, Christmas will be essentially done.

A friend gives me an amaryllis every Christmas and this year there were two bulbs that were spectacular when they bloomed. They are worth saving so a neighbor planted them for me this morning. Little girl was helping with watering - I don’t know if it was voluntary or conscripted labor. She had a watering can and little comprehension of the concept of watering. She watered my trees instead of the flowers and gave each of them about a cupful. I’m sure they were grateful - lol. That makes me think it wasn’t quite voluntary.

I WON! FINALLY! The neighbors saw a little snake in my yard and didn’t kill it. They wanted to but I protested. They ignored me and tried to find it again. I protested again. We finally spotted it and I persuaded them to let me try some identification. I couldn’t see it well from the porch but from their description I decreed it was a baby garter snake and harmless. Helpful in fact. They let it go. Actually I’m not sure it was a garter snake but it definitely wasn’t marked like our poisonous snakes. One baby saved. Pats self on back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw a tiny turtle the other day, about 1-2" long. The smallest I have ever seen. I have also seen baby snakes, not so exciting.
    I am encouraged by the number of non-rainy days so far during the warmer weather. I have all my outside sitting areas set up, and the hammock. A bit more outside cleaning to be done, but majority of the dirty jobs already completed.
    I scrubbed the kitchen tile grout with BonAmi and a scrub brush. Not finished but it did lighten up a good deal. So I'll work on that again, probably with OxiClean. We have been in this house over 30 years and it's still the original kitchen except for dishwasher & fridge replaced. How is that for frugal?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do cut the neighbors some slack on the snake killing. They are from the Philippines and there are a lot more seriously dangerous snakes there than here. Still it’s hard to convince them that snakes aren’t vicious and that they are no happier about them than they are with the snakes, who only want to be left alone. Today is a dragonfly emergence day. They are all over. Summer is here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you for saving a snake. Most of them do not deserve the reputation they have. We have little brown snakes here, perfectly harmless. They eat bugs. Perhaps it is time for some nature books for Little Girl.

DH and I have done some minor cleaning and stuff. It is a slow, overcast and very humid day. More rain is due tomorrow. I am looking forward to being able to dive into some quilt projects this week. We are supposed to have a few nice days, then rain again on the weekend. I suspect it's going to be like this all summer.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lucky here that there isn't many poisonous things but get up into the interior where is it drier ..yep.. visited a friend she was there is a bunch of black widow spiders in my tomatos..I would have freaked! we have spiders that look like they should be but nope.

I agree w the hand rail! at the cabin/hut at scout camp could have used it. hit my shin first thing because the steps weren't the normal height dirt worn out under.. but they are for kids so can't really complain.

thanks ch ! can't make the wreath for that price. turns out ds has a half day wed so he can help w gardening. hiding inside waiting for allergy pill to work. cleaning up housework etc. watching my shows. says it is only 73 degrees and 50% humidity but feels much worse. like 83 and 80 percent humidity. fans are on. at least plan on making butter chicken so that is just stovetop.

just saw on the news that you can now do a clothes rental like american eagle per month 6 pieces wear and return..cus of the instagram age. guess it is better then buying all the time for pics