2019 Stash Management - Page 63
Page 63 of 78 FirstFirst ... 13536061626364656673 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have any poisonous snakes here. We have garter snakes and some yellow ones. I don't know what they are. Mostly I see them when they're about the size of a pencil, so cute. Some of them live in our garage which keeps the mouse population down. I would have loved to see such a tiny turtle. Even the snappers are cute when they're little.

Sounds like you're whipping through the baskets, D. It will be a good feeling to get them all done.

Black widow spiders would freak me out, too. I hate most bugs except the really cool ones.

Got Husby's blankets done and his bed made, then got mine done, too. It ain't pretty. I hope I find some nice upgrades before too long. This week sometime would be good.

Looks like another long shopping list for tomorrow. Not good, since we won't be getting any income for another 6 weeks or so. Who knew? Oh, well. It's annoying though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, been getting some exercise in this past week. Also have been in the garden more this past few weeks than I had been most of last year. So that's a good start.

Didn't really do much over the long weekend, other than going to the farmer's market and planting new tomato plants in my garden on Saturday. I did get some work done on the wool-blend afgan. Finished skein #9 and started skein #10.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's supposed to be really nice today for a while, then storms tonight. Going to make hay while the sun shines, as they used to say. I have some errands to do this morning, then I'm planning to sew. I think I will do a couple of stars and then put in some time on the brown quilt, since that is what is spread out on the table right now.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I worked on the baskets more diligently yesterday than usual. I had an interesting audiobook and it kept me on task because I wanted to keep listening. I finished the one in the color I liked least, and then got 6 or 7 rows head start on today’s. It wasn’t late but at that time my hands were aching too much to do more. They are fine after a good sleep. Two to go.

It’s quite windy again today and overcast so pleasantly cool. It seems we are having a lot more wind this year than usual. I expect breezes, not tall trees swaying and strong gusts. I don’t think there is rain in the forecast but I haven’t looked for a couple of days.

I will be really glad to get these baskets finished. At that point nothing is earmarked for specific projects except the few skeins for a yellow basket for me. I can then use anything for the scarves and don’t have to remember what to hold back. Getting them all done first was a good move. I’ll also be glad to get back to some single strand crocheting that will be easier on my hands, though for a bit it will feel like crocheting with a toothpick after working with such a big hook. I think I want to focus for a while on using the yarn I have wound into cakes. I’m going to continue working with the RH. I really want to get a lot of that out of the stash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sigh. While I'll be happy when the w-b afgan is done, I realize my stash isn't going anywhere. Then again, I've been very good about not going into either Joanns or Michaels. I do need to pick up some wool yarn from Joanns soon since I promised someone a wool afgan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It was a productive day, though I don't have much to show for it. I cut up some boring beige hand-dyed fabric that undoubtedly cost the original owner more than the $3 I paid for it. Then I made a stack of 4-patches. Ironed everything and counted 17, so I set up the other pieces to make 17 blocks tomorrow. That should put me at 98 out of 108 blocks.

I did an inventory of the scrappy blue blocks, found only 28 and decided to sew on that a while. Made another 12 blocks and have pieces left over. Had to stop and replace a bobbin, so that was a good stopping place. I am running low on scrap patches, and really haven't done much the last several months to generate more. I don't believe I have enough to make a twin sized quilt, so I am shelving this until I can generate more scraps.

Determined that one of the giant cones of white cotton is probably causing my thread looping issue. Unfortunately, I wound several bobbins with it. Have to experiment and see if it can be used as the top thread. Or maybe it should be used for both threads.

Did not get to the stars, got tired of ironing in this heat.

Weather is moving in. Yesterday the prediction was for a 20% chance of rain. This afternoon they changed that to severe weather with a tornado watch. DH's office let out early because it was expected to be here by rush hour. It's not, but I can see it coming. As much as I hate the heat of summer I think I'm ready for spring to be over.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hemmed 2 more dog bandannas and hand-basted the blanket binding on one end. I don't think there's a pretty way to machine-sew it on since impossible for the edges to land in the same place on both sides. I'll see what the internet suggests. Want to salvage this because it really is a good, HEAVY blanket.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished the third large basket and then took out the last one. It was the first one I started and I had done more up the side. It turned out to be 7 rows when I looked at it again. It has a second bonus that I didn’t realize until I started working on it. Most, if not all of the others use at least some stash yarn. That is mostly the older, thicker, stiffer RH. this last one is made with all newer colors so all three strands are softer. It is considerably easier to crochet and faster. I’m glad that one by chance turned out to be the last. I stopped while ago at row 16 so I can finish this up fairly quickly tomorrow.

CH - stay safe. We may get rain Thursday, but it should be just ordinary thunderstorms.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope everyone in harm's way had a safe night.

We got the paperwork done for retirement now, I hope. It sounds like parts of our payments now may be 3 months late instead of 2. We didn't anticipate being without income for that long, but at least most of it will be reimbursed eventually. I think the actual permanent loss will only be about 2 weeks of income. Husby keeps shaking his head and wondering how people manage this income gap if they don't have savings to cover it. The rep yesterday said a lot of people are not aware of this situation.

We hit 3 thrifts and JA and didn't buy a thing. Hit WM and only bought a few groceries. Hit the first Menards and bought 15 more bags of dirt and 6 boxes of cat litter. They didn't have the fence posts we needed. I found a tote I liked but it was 6 inches too narrow so I didn't buy it. In the hour it took to drive to the next Menards to buy the fence posts, I decided the tote would be workable after all, but the Duluth Menards didn't have it. Later, we stopped at the first store to get it and a cute little Coleman 2 day cooler jumped into the cart and refused to get back out. It's only slightly larger than the $2 Coleman cooler we've used for day trips since about 1980, but will easily hold 2 gallons of milk plus ice and other items we tend to buy these days, which the old one will not. The last thing we expected to buy yesterday was yet another cooler, but it already came in handy at Aldi. I know we will like it and get a lot of use out of it. Sadly, it was the most interesting thing we bought yesterday. It was on sale for $5 off so at least we saved a little bit on it.

It was a beautiful day up here yesterday, sunny and 60s, nice after all the rain we've had.

First thing this morning I plan to get the cabinet door flipped in the camper. If I don't get it done soon, it will be put off again and it's too annoying to be tolerable since we will probably use it more with the new tote in there. It shouldn't take very long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sewed on the blanket binding, it came out OK, so I will do the other end the same way. I bought new binding and thread that matches the shade of the blanket really well so the extra stitching "disappears". At this point I think I have enough bedding to run a B&B.
    Another pair of mom's long, baggy light blue polyester shorts I am thinking of turning into a skirt. I wore the black shorts-into-skirt on Monday. The front seam will be more noticeable on the light blue though, hmmm.......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The strong weather passed my area by last night. The worst of it went north and south of my area. Today/tonight we're supposed to get more storms but at least no tornadoes, unlike last night. I'm just concerned about driving home tonight since the main road I take home at night tends to flood pretty easily as does a section of the main alternate route. I do have other ways to get home but I also deal with a lot of traffic on a good day. Bad weather makes things worse.

Did get a little bit done on my afgan last night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The tornado sirens went off just before dinner. I had been keeping an eye on the radar, and saw one red box tracking our general direction, so I had the emergency radio on. Tornado struck in KS, ripped up some trees, power lines, and homes, and headed for the city. The funnel lifted before it hit any of the majorly populated areas. Some injuries, no deaths. People generally take the sirens and warning seriously around here. We are getting a break in the weather today. I hope. The national weather service says there have been tornadoes reported for the last 12 days in a row.

Those of you in the DC area need to take care this evening.

Hoping to get in a little sewing this afternoon.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would definitely take a siren seriously too but I’ve never lived anywhere that had them. I once had a tornado tracking toward me when I lived in Shreveport but it dissipated before got to us. It was a tense time though as it came closer and closer.

After I finish the last basket I’ll start putting all the yarn away. I also want to divide the remnant balls I have into neutral, warm, and cool colors. At present I’m not using those unless I have to. Eventually I may make some double strand lapghans, either to keep or donate and would use them for those. On these baskets I’ve been using the “magic knots” that don’t leave ends to weave in. On single strand scarves I think they might be too big a bump, but they have been great with the baskets. They should work with a double strand too.

I also want to learn how to do the sc starting row that doesn’t use a chain row. I tried it before but wasn’t getting the hang of it. I saw that Jayda in Stitches has a YouTube tutorial on it and I’m going to try it again. That was the site where I got the basket pattern.

I’m loving this multiple strand work that’s using up this old stash yarn at such a clip. I haven’t had big hooks but before I started the baskets I got an M and N. I ordered the other large sizes and they arrived yesterday. I replaced the L that was just a cheap traditional shape plastic hook. I also got a 7mm that’s between a K and L, and a 12mm and 15mm P. I may never use those last two but then I thought I would never use an N either. Now I have a complete set, from teeny tiny thread crochet sizes all the way up to gigantic. I am prepared for anything.

I really will get some pictures as soon as I get all the yarn cleared off the table.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another tornado watch for this evening in my area. I guess it's because it's been sunny most of the day and got warm. I just hope I can get through the areas that tend to flood before the really heavy rains start. I have no idea if we have sirens for tornadoes in my area since we don't get them. I think we've had more tornado warnings the past two days than we've had in decades.

I normally don't do much beyond single crochet stitches in afgans and scarves. But I picked up a DVD on crochet from the Great Courses company. I think I'll take a look at it eventually. I have enough friends at my larp who crochet that I can ask for help if I need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

On Thursday, we had a tornado warning which was really rare here. At around 4 the message came through on my phone that a tornado warning was in effect till 4:15, so I did not have long to worry about it. I was at work, and my work building is pretty sturdy. I think it was designed to withstand cannon fire. I mean that literally. The walls are several feet thick.

Yesterday I got stuck taking my cat to work in the pouring rain. But we did not have issues with massive flooding, so I will not complain too much. Well the Pet Smart loading dock flooded. But it is not like people here lost houses or had to leave the area.

I am enjoying my new space at work. It is much nicer than before. It feels more spacious too. I have most of my stuff unpacked. I bumped my head on the edge of an open door for the furniture while putting things away. It is actually bleeding a tiny bit, but it is does not seem to be anything serious. Only one box left to unpack.

I had a long weekend. I spent much of it playing games and doing embroidery and reading. Well along with the normal chores I do every weekend. But I am focusing on the fun bits now. And watercolor coloring. My husband got me a coloring book designed to use with watercolor paints and some watercolor paints to go with it. It is a lot of fun.

Unpacking my work stuff, I came across some old Zentangles and doodles. Things are about settled down around here. So I am hoping to get back to it. I have not done any for quite some time.

Coming back to this space, I am starting to feel like I am getting my life back again. I know that sounds melodramatic. But my temporary space was so noisy, it was hard for me to focus some days.
    KathyB