2019 Stash Management - Page 64
Page 64 of 194 FirstFirst ... 14546162636465666774114164 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to hear everyone got through the weather okay. I hope the whole country gets a break. Of course, hurricane season starts any minute now.

In between little chores today, I've been looking for a good recipe for a dry seasoning mix to season tomato juice. The problem is the store stuff is just tomato juice and lots of salt. Therefore I'm fighting the salty flavor we liked and trying to find a new, no salt flavor we will also like. Everything I try tastes like something's missing because it is. I found a recipe that looks good using all dehydrated ingredients. I have everything but spinach and mushrooms, so I hope someone has some on sale this week so I can get it in the dehydrator soon.

I got the cabinet door flipped in the camper. Once I got the bed disassembled, maybe 10 minutes. I like it so much better already. Still have to move the Velcro so the top of the platform stays in place, since it's made to slide so the bed can be configured as a couch, which we won't do. The 2 comforters that were in the compartment don't fit in the tote, no surprise. One fits in each of 2 of my beloved Mountainsmith bags. Husby's comforter is smaller and fits under his bed. I was at a loss about mine, but I have to have a pillow next to my bed at night because I read with my phone in my hand (used to be my Nook). When I fall asleep, I drop the phone. When the bed was bigger and it was just Sota and me, the Nook just fell on the bed, no harm done. But now my phone is going to fall on the floor. Not good. I've been trying to figure out what I could put next to the bed to catch my phone. My comforter in its square bag is a perfect fit and height. It can sit on the little cabinet next to the bed and the covered trash can that sits in front of it and catch my phone. I will just have to set the bag in the back corner of the bed during the day, no problem. It's low enough the wall can fold down, too, which will help eliminate excessive shuffling. I'm happy about it because I didn't want to add another pillow in there because I already have 3. Now my comforter serves 2 purposes.

The tote is empty for now, but it's a perfect fit, with room alongside for 2 cloth bag tables, a yoga mat cut in half to make 2 dog pads, and Sugar's old pad that rolls up. I think I still have Sparky's rollup pad yet too, and there would be room for that as well. Everything is easy to get in and out without moving other stuff, and since the door lays on the floor now, it's easy to see and reach things in that cabinet. It's a world of difference. The little tables will probably be used more now since they used to be buried in the back of the larger cabinet we get into from outside, so there was always digging involved. I will have to give some thought someday about how to arrange things better in the big compartment. Once again, I'm surprised and delighted how much of a difference such a small change can make. I don't know yet what will go into the tote, but considering how little space we have in the camper, I doubt it will be empty for long. This change reclaims half the space in that cabinet that used to be empty because it was too deep to reach the back. End of that problem.

In order to get to the cabinet, we will have to move 2 or 3 litter pails we've used for storage for years. But they are easy to move so it won't be a problem. We've aleays had to move them.

We got the new 90 fitting installed in the sump hose we use to drain the camper sink. It was an ordeal, and we had 2 ends to connect. We tried soap and cooking spray and hot water, but it was such a tight fit, no luck. Swear words were said, but that didn't help either. Finally I thought about a hair dryer. Husby did the honors and was able to get both ends on, finally. Assuming it works as expected with the new tank, it should solve the irritation we've had with the camper drain. It's funny how a person forgets in between trips what a PITA some of these little problems are.

We made a big dent in the weed population in the onion bed in front of the house today. Poor onions have been neglected. Husby pulled out 3 fence posts and left 2 to support the last bed spring we're putting in to use for a cucumber trellis. I hope we get that spot dealt with in the next couple days and get the cucumbers planted. I may need to buy some more cucumber plants.

Not much progress, but still progress.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For anyone who is interested, this video has some good pictures of the damage and the storm last night.

I got my 16 blocks made, and put a star together. Not much else going on today. It is cloudy and oppressively humid and it's hard to keep energy levels up.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow. Awful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been watching it on the news, that and certain people in DC who feel the need to stop bills that would provide some help to a lot of places that desperately need it. I wonder what it's like to have the power to play with people's lives, like a cat tortures a mouse. Sick. At any rate, I hope the storms stop so you all in the affected areas can breathe again. And all the floods recede, too. The past 2 weeks have been so terrible for so many.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, I think it's a case of 'out of sight, out of mind'. If it doesn't affect them directly (their homes, their families, etc.), it's not quite real.

Thunderstorms came through the area last night but no tornadoes (at least in my area). Fortunately, the worst of the rain didn't start until I was home. But we have another round of thunderstorms forecast for this afternoon again. So far, no tornado warnings (yet) and the forecast is for regular thunderstorms, not strong storms. That can change, of course.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree, SD. I'm disgusted with this current bunch of politicians holding back the federal relief that will be needed by so many. Fortunately our community is already out there helping people, and the charitable aid agencies don't play politics. We are supposed to have nice weather for a few days. It will be a relief to not have to check constantly.

I am going to go ahead and order the william morris pack with this gift certificate I was given. I have always liked that style, but haven't collected much of the fabric.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

They’re all too busy squabbling to do their job and it’s hurting people. Lots of people, and the natural disasters are on track to become more frequent and more severe. We can’t say we haven’t been warned for years and years that it was coming.

On a happier note the baskets are done! Except for the last bit on the yellow. That yarn is scheduled to arrive Monday, but as I said should only take a few minutes to complete. I frittered away most of the day yesterday but that was ok because I have been really pushing to get these done. Today i will focus on getting the yarn organized again. I did a few more inches on the scarf in progress and only have about 8” to go so I will definitely get that finished. After that I will start rolling out the scarves again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just checked the tracking on the yarn and they have changed the expected arrival to next Thursday. It has an image of a truck, but I really think they are sending it via miniature pony express.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went by JA to see what was left after the memorial day sales. Scored 3 big (~1yd) pieces from the remnant bin. They are patriotic prints, so this week's sale stacked with the 50% off and I got each of them for $2 or less! I am going to donate them to the guild for their projects.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was looking online for bobbins for the "newer" Singer 760 that I dragged home months ago. (Only have 1 bobbin for that machine.) Saw some discussions that the metal and plastic bobbins I have been using in my 500 are NOT interchangeable. The height is about 1/8" different. Many people swearing if the bobbin casing is metal you should only use metal bobbins. I looked at the manual for the 500 and it appears to be a metal bobbin used in the picture. Maybe that is why I am having problems. I prefer the plastic since you can see how much thread is left. But I'm going to use metal from now on until the machine acts up again. I guess that would prove or disprove the theory. I printed the PDF manual for the 760 and put in a 3 ring binder. Some progress anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bobbins don't have to be off by much to mess things up. Even one slightly too big will bind inside the case. Try putting a bobbin in the case but not in the machine, then pull out a couple feet of thread to see if it feeds smoothly. If it's a drop-in bobbin with no case, drop it in, get it to come up through the presser plate, and pull out a couple feet. Sometimes if it's not right, it will bind a little and you might be able to notice that. I had a heck of a time finding bobbins for my industrial machine, but finally found some that work even though they're a little too small and intended for some kind of quilting machine. That's only annoying because they don't hold as much. The other thing I don't like about them is they're aluminum. My steel bobbins jingle when they're almost empty, but not a peep out of the aluminum ones. If you can't find an exact fit, smaller ones should work, as long as the hole in the middle is the right size. Or maybe I'm not thinking of the right bobbins, in which case you should ignore everything I just said. Maybe you could find some on Ebay.

I got the Velcro switched on my bed platform and the bed put back together and made, so that's done. Neither bed looks as bad as I thought they would, but the covers are a little too short and I still will BOLO for something nicer. But the bedding is usable now so we can go somewhere if we want to. Still have a lot of little stuff to do. The most pressing thing now is to get the water system flushed and refilled so we can see if there's an air lock yet, and refresh my memory what all is leaking in the outside shower so I can repair that. Then the AC replacement, which terrifies me. It's about time to head a couple hundred miles west to see the bogs in bloom, and we need to be ready. It will be nice to take another short trip.

We misbehaved at the nursery today. This is the year of the Wave petunias for us, I guess. Our hummingbirds will thank us.

I bought portobellos and they're already in the dehydrator. I'm very curious what the weight will be when they're dried. I paid $12 for 3 lbs of fresh. Amazon has 1 lb dried for $28.45, so if I can't do better by DIY, I'll just buy them in the future. I looked through my dehydrator book which I haven't done in a few years, and got some ideas. I like cucumber dressing but HM never works out using fresh cukes. But I think if I dry and grind some cukes, I might have better results. I've also never thought about drying cooked beans and rice. It finally clicked for me that must be how some of the boxed rice and bean side dishes are made, in order for them to cook quickly. I will be on the hunt now for Zatarain's clones. They had several sides we liked, but quit years ago due to sodium. I got some other ideas, too. I would like to have some HM fast bean and rice dishes at home as well as camping.

I will never understand how anyone can ever be bored. There's always so much to learn and do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, I don't believe bobbins that are 1/8" too wide or too thick would even fit where they needed to, so I sorta wonder about what you read. If the diameter is off by a tiny bit, you might be able to shave off a little by filing with an emery board, if they're plastic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We misbehaved at the nursery today. This is the year of the Wave petunias for us, I guess. Our hummingbirds will thank us.

I will be on the hunt now for Zatarain's clones. They had several sides we liked, but quit years ago due to sodium.
    Love those petunias. Did not get any this year, nursery only had them in big $$ pots so I bought something else.

We also like Zatarain's dirty rice mix, but OMG DH cannot handle the spice. I use a wire strainer to sift the rice from the seasoning, then just use part of the seasoning. Cuts the amount of salt, too. You could easily make two batches of rice with the amount of salt and red pepper in that envelope.

I started a quilt for the children's shelter. It is just pretty colors/prints cut in 6" widths, with 2" strips of neutral fabric sewn on, then cut to 6" sections. Imagine 6" squares with light neutral sashing strips. I've already got 60 blocks made and haven't even dug into my stash. Found a cute watermelon print at JA today, blue, pink and green. That is my inspiration, but I'm using yellow and purple too, trying to keep things gender neutral. I think I can make two 40x54" quilts just from what is sitting on my sewing room floor.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been seeing the damage done on the news of all the storms down scary. yes out of sight out of mind it seems. they forget the reg people. wildfires are happening here already. can't say I have done much outside of some housework. allergy headaches and now finding a new spot the cat peed. wrecked laminate there. so the smell is killing my nose. she peed on a paper on the floor so you know how much a thin piece absorbs. the basement stinks too. she is just being a pain in the ass. because I refuse to have a litterbox upstairs. no place for it. think may get a dog crate and lock her up in there at night if she doesn't stop. already put her in the litterbox like a kitten. she has trust issues from previous owner but we have had her for 5 yrs since she was one so....

spirit

my show finales tonight. someone in a different group posted this funny picture. Name:  61292914_1700331010069894_6258819269367169024_n.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  30.9 KB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH that quilt sounds really cute, would love to see pictures.
    I have the 2nd blanket binding clipped & pinned on, trying to skip the basting step. Will sew later.
    SD the plastic bobbins are 1/8" shorter than the metal version of the same bobbin #66. Maybe the plastic being smaller rattles around in the casing a bit causing the crazy loops/mess on the bottom side of the stitching. Anyway next time it's a problem I will switch to metal bobbin & same thread and see if that is the cure. I never paid attention before, thought they were the same.
    https://www.singer.com/sewing-resour...e-bobbin-guide