2019 Stash Management - Page 65
Page 65 of 145 FirstFirst ... 15556263646566676875115 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw this yesterday & thought it was funny.
    A copy of a Chinese proverb hangs on the door: ďMan who says it cannot be done should not interrupt woman doing it.Ē

Also reading a Tony Hillerman novel a few days ago. Part of a Navajo teaching is 2 hunters capture a magical animal who grants them each a wish. The first hunter wishes to be made the smartest man in the world. So the creature grants that wish. The 2nd hunter wishes to be smarter than the smartest man in the world, so the creature turns him into a woman.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I may put aside the wool-blend afgan for the time being. It's getting a bit awkward now that it's almost 3/4's done. I think I may even have some leftover skeins, which is ok. I can make scarves, if that's the case. I do want to get some work done on stash busting.

It's a good thing that I'm getting my walking in during the day. This way, I don't lose any crocheting time in the evening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby wanted the big pot of Waves for $25. We had already blown through the $20 we planned to spend, but then took Mom to get her plants and did not want to resist temptation on the second trip. I looked around and found 4" pots for $5, so we got 3 of those to save $10. I bought a $4 patio tomato, too,
    so we spent double but don't care. We may not be done yet either.

We're getting the smoke from Canadian fires now, also from North Dakota. The season looks bad already.

It shouldn't really matter if a bobbin is a little too small. The tension is controlled by the set screw on the bobbin case. I've often used bobbins much smaller than the case on several industrial machines over the years without problems. The only thing I can think that might be a slight difference is that a steel bobbin is heavier and might add a little to the tension. I've read if the bobbin thread bunches up, the problem is in the top thread tension. I don't know if that's true in every case, but it was with my 990 recently. The top tension was messed up due to a blob of lint between the pressure plates the top thread runs through. But you're right, you will find out when you use the same thread on both types of bobbins. Hope you can get it corrected.

Now I just want to sew something.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A version of that proverb has been my comeback to naysayers for decades, usually insecure guys who stupidly believe women are not capable of doing anything men typically do. I've gotten that attitude from some women, too, usually in the form of skepticism that I actually do the stuff I do and know how use real tools. Always annoying, but I just keep doin' my thang. 😎😎😎

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is a picture of my under the desk storage at work. It is just open space so I cover a couple boxes with art so it does not look junky.

The top one is zentangles I did years ago. Most are from an experiment to put random color on first and then doodle over it.

The bottom mandalas from left to right.
    Coloring book page
    I made this with a photo and program to make mandalas
    Coloring page I added zentangles to

2019 Stash Management-img_20190523_163106627_1559312639133.jpg

Also a shawl tacked up because the modesty panel of the desk is only eight inches of frosted glass. You might be able to see it if you look really closely.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have always used plastic bobbins in my sewing machine and the bobbin case part is metal. I did get one brand of plastic bobbins once that I had some problems with. The machine would jam, but when I switched to another type of bobbin it was okay. Both were plastic though. It had to do with the sizing. One was a tiny bit too big and did not move around as easy as it was supposed to.

I remember taking pictures of my embroidery, but they are mysteriously missing from my phone now. I guess I will take more later.

My at home piece is going well. I was not happy with my at work piece so I took the stitches out. I am starting over. I have a lot of resistance to doing things like that even when I have not done much and what I am trying does not seem to be working out.

I was thinking of doing another small doll, but my husband got me a book from my Amazon wish list about felt birds. So I might do a bird next. Maybe alternate dolls with birds.

I am trying to go on a "news diet." I check the headlines on CNN online much more than I should. I am trying to use reddit as a substitute. My husband shows me things from his reddit feed in the evening after dinner. He has set up his feed so there is a lot of cute animal pictures, pictures of nature and other feel good things. So I have set up my own feel good feed from reddit. It has embroidery, crafts, art, cute animals, unicorns, etc. When I am tempted to check headline news, I will check reddit instead.

People at work can tell me if it is stuff that effects us. And some of it does. Our job is to help US exports of agricultural products. So the whole trade war thing does effect us. As does the new round of aid for farmers. That will be a big chunk of work for our office.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love the cartoon. Hmmm. I donít use my oven in the summer. Another place to stash yarn?

I got the yarn back in more or less acceptable order. The colors in the cabinet are pretty jumbled, but at least itís back there. Instead of finishing the scarf in progress I messed around with double strand scarves. That would let me brighten up some of my duller more ďgrown upĒ colors. Sharon said she would probably be out this weekend and Iíll get her to look at them too. I donít know if any will work. I made one with an L and itís definitely too dense. One with an M is better but still iffy, at least I think it is. Today Iíll make one with the N I used for the baskets, but that may be too clunky and open. For that hook I may make one in dc like the others, but also one in hdc to see how that would work.

If any of these would be ok, I would be beyond happy. I could plow through a ton of this RH I want to use up from the stash, and they are lightning fast to make so I could churn out a gazillion in no time. Her organization, a sort of non profit clinic I think, serves if I remember around 1500 students and they have just added another school for next year. She can definitely find a home for all I can make. Apparently competition was stiff for them last year.

Another reason I want to start using up as much yarn as I can is that I am beginning to feel some arthritis in my hands and crochet might not be the best long term hobby. I didnít really factor that in when I laid in this big retirement stash. I think, perhaps wrongly, that knitting would be easier on my hands, but I would probably want different yarn for that. Anyway, I havenít knitted for around 55 (gasp) years and I would have to learn it all over. I didnít like it as much when I learned as a teenager. It was just too pokey and slow. I would be more tolerant if that now. Anyway I just have too much yarn and itís becoming an irritant. It feels great to be using it up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, I like the art on your boxes. The other day I came across my zentangle tiles and it made me want to do that again too. I did a couple with random color laid down first and that was fun. When I finally get around to the watercolor experiment with the lace I might do a stack of tiles while I have the paint out.

I’m weary of news too. I subscribe to the Washington Post online, but it seems I read little now except the weather and climate articles and random things here and there. Just scrolling though the headlines is quite enough.

I spent more than twice, maybe quadruple?, what I intended at the nursery this year too. I bought the extravagant potted daylilies and when with the neighbor’s encouragement I decided to line the whole sidewalk and across the front of the front porch, the cost went way out of control. I really love them though and daylilies are forever so it was worth it.

Now I’m debating what to do with the bed that runs between the sidewalk and house. I have four Indian hawthorns there that are Pathetic. Three of them were attacked by fungus last year. We treated it, but they are just not recovering much. The fourth one looks like it may be getting it too. It doesn’t look bad yet but the other three are just bare stems with little tufts of leaves at the top. I want to remove them this fall and completely redo the bed. I’ll definitely pay the neighbors for that much work. I’m thinking some sort of bulbs or perennial flowers instead of shrubs there.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Going to be a warm day. It was 80 and steamy/hazy by 10 am this morning. I am not sure if it is humidity or if we are getting smoke here yet. Had a friend share some photos taken in Denver the other day, the sky is brown and the air is yellow. Looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. We have had haze from fires out west before.

Did my errands early this morning and plan to spend the rest of the day in air conditioned comfort and sewing.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dc, sorry to hear about the arthritis cutting into your crocheting. I first learned to knit then forgot how because I put the project down and never picked it back up again. I nearly did the same with crocheting but I learned again from someone later on. That time I kept going with it. Never did learn how to do anything other than scarves and afgans, though.

I tend to crochet on the tighter side so I usually use a size larger than normal/suggested.

Finally have a really nice day after three days of storms. Yay!! Of course, we're probably going to get more rain tomorrow evening and possibly on Sunday. But Monday and Tuesday look to be really nice, if on the cool side. Cool will probably be appreciated, given some events going on at work those two days. We have an annual event that started (unofficially) last night and runs until Tuesday. But the main 'outdoor' event is Tuesday.

I have other plans for tomorrow (Saturday) and it looks like it's going to be nice, weather-wise, and I'll miss the rain unless the storm system shows up earlier than expected. Sundays are my writing days so I'm going to be inside anyway if it rains.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked in the yard 5 hours. I really made a lot of progress in May. I would like to do more, but overall it looks tidy now. I did not buy any flowers. Found flower seeds but have not planted. I like zinnias because they are easy cut flower bouquets. Might still try the seeds. Right now my hand is noticeably tired from pulling weeds and using the clippers, so might or might not sew later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will admit it. I'm a political junkie. But you guys probably figured that out by now. I'm hoping keeping up with it all will become less important on January 21, 2021, if not before.

We got the hand rail on the camper. Hard to believe it took 497 tools to put in 4 bolts, but it seemed like it. It was challenging, but it's done. Here it is folded out and ready for use. For travel, it folds against the camper. It should make the steps a little safer. 2019 Stash Management-20190531_122707_1559326559727.jpg

Here's my bed now, with the comforter in its bag and positioned to catch my phone when I fall asleep reading. My wall pockets are back in place and I can keep the new water bottle holder (yellow thing) and leave a bottle in the camper all the time. You can see the shelf folded down against the end of the cabinet. That's the one we missed the most, so it's good to have it back. 2019 Stash Management-20190531_122357_1559326817211.jpg
    At the foot of my bed, the shower bag can now sit on the little cabinet, which is accessible again through the top. We can put our big Coleman LED Quad Pro lantern, Candlelier, 2 or 3 other candle lanterns plus spare batteries and other lighting gear back in the compartment. The dog water bowl is back by the bed again, out of the way which is a big deal in such a small camper. I love that Crockpot crock as a dog bowl because it's heavy and stays in place and holds a lot. Their food bowls store perfectly inside for travel. The cabinet by the bed there also has a fold down shelf we missed when we had to take the shelves out to extend the bed. 2019 Stash Management-20190531_122539_1559327910660.jpg

Under my bed is the cabinet where I flipped the door. You can see how inconvenient it was by picturing the door opening up instead of down. Now it's easy to see in the cabinet and move stuff in and out. The new tote fits great with the 2 little bag tables and the dog pads. I think the tote will hold miscellaneous galley stuff that hasn't had a good home till now, stuff like foil, big black trash bags, DO lid lifters, etc, stuff we don't need every trip.

Husby's bed is narrower than mine. I don't like that he has to share his bed with the pantry, but it never bothered him and even though it's not ideal, it does work. We feel much more relaxed in our camper again. The constant shuffling with the big bed ruined our trips, and we should enjoy ourselves more now.2019 Stash Management-20190531_122631_1559330710044.jpg

I got 4 and 3/8 oz of dried mushrooms out of 3 pounds fresh that cost $12. I'm glad I did it, but I will most likely be buying at a food co-op from now on. When I last bought there, they were about $30/lb. Amazon was $28.45/lb last night, but a whole lb would be about two gallons, based on the half gallon I just got from my 4 oz. A whole lb would take forever to use up.

We got all the plants potted except cucumbers, so it will be fun to see what grows and thrives.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-20190531_122457_1559328330592.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The pic of the cabinet under the bed didn't get put into the text. It's the second to last pic in the thumbnails.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC does it make a difference what size hooks you use? Some people with arthritis have problems with the larger heavier hooks and some people have problems with the smaller hooks. You can try different sized hooks and see if it makes a difference. Have you already tried the ergonomic hooks?

Before I did crochet, I did knitting. But I like crochet more. That said, I have not done crochet for a while. I think it was DC who said she has not been doing embroidery lately because she was crocheting. I am like the reverse of that. It is not so much that I got tired of crochet. It is that I really do not have time to do both. I like to think when I retire I could do crochet and embroidery as well.

I am thinking now of things you can make with yarn besides crochet and knitting. Have you ever made God's eyes? They don't really look like eyes and they don't look particularly religious. But that is what they are called. They do have a religious origin though. But I think of it a bit like mandalas. You can think of them as having a spiritual significance or just being cool abstract art.

Basically it is yarn wrapped around two or more Popsicle sticks. You can also use dowels or other sticks. It is less common, but I have seen them with toothpicks and thread as well. I have also see them with thin tree branches for a more natural look. If you have trees around that lose a few branch after every storm, that can be free craft material. The first link shows the basic type with instructions. The type with two sticks is often taught to kids. The second link has some really elaborate ones. It was only in the last few years I became away that God's eyes were not just the simple things I made back in grade school. No instructions, but it shows that you can do something fancy if you really want. There is probably instructions out there somewhere for the fancy ones.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/making-gods-eyes
    Be Inspired: God’s Eyes | Red Heart Blog

Googling things for fun now...

I have seen many different variations of yarn dream catchers. Instead of the traditional feathers, they have strands of yarn hanging from them. Some of them still look like dream catchers to me. Others are pretty looking but I am not sure if I would call them dream catchers. I am not sure what criteria there is for whether something is a dream catcher or not. Maybe it is intent?

You could always play around with making yarn wigs. Wear some wild hair once and awhile without doing you might regret to your own hair. (Only half serious with that suggestion.)
    KathyB

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, the cabin in your trailer looks great.

Kathy, I have seen Gods Eyes, but it is not my thing. I'm not much of a yarn person. As for dream catchers, federal laws have made it illegal to use natural feathers in crafts. Just picking up a feather from the ground can get you fined and jailed these days. So crafters are finding other things.

Here's a pic of the easter fabric I bough a couple weeks ago. I'll do something with it eventually.
    Name:  DSCN1031.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  27.8 KB

This is a mock up of the small quilt I am working on today.
    Name:  DSCN1034.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  15.1 KB

Here it is with the strips sewn. I made a few mistakes and have to correct them. Expect to finish tonight.

Name:  DSCN1035.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  17.4 KB
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown