2019 Stash Management - Page 66
Page 66 of 145 FirstFirst ... 16566364656667686976116 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow. Those fancy gods eyes are impressive. It might be fun to try one some day.

I’m not having trouble crocheting now, though the tight crocheting on the big hook with the baskets was really hard on my hands as I worked on them for hours most days. Still I can see where it will inevitably end, though likely not for quite a while. But best to start now, given the absurd size of the yarn stash. Tiny hooks and crochet thread, the few times I’ve tried it have been hard because I’m very awkward with it and really tighten up the tension trying to control it. It would just take practice to get beyond that. I haven’t done enough though to know how it would actually go. I generally use an I or J, and as I said that’s had little occasion to use large hooks. I always use ergonomic hooks. The others are just not workable for me now. My favorite that are most comfortable for me are the older Clover hooks with the flat goldish handles, but they are only tiny thread sizes through J. For a while I liked Tulip better and got a set of those through K, but have gone back to the Clover. For the large ones, I have Clover Amour as the only choice I really had easily available.

I made a scarf using double strand with the large N hook I used for the baskets. With two instead of three strands it’s easy to work. I’ve finished one with dc and started one with hdc. I actually like these. The crocheted fabric is thick but soft and very flexible. The dc one turned out really ugly the way the colors pooled so I’ll doubtless take that apart and do a more attractive demo. These are 10 stitches wide but 9 would be plenty, especially for the smaller children.

Free supper tonight. A colleague of Sharon’s had some sort of meeting today and there was tons of food left over. Barbecue chicken, green beans, and cheesy mashed potatoes have been sent out. Hurrah!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think all feathers are prohibited. People use feathers for things like trout flies, hair embellishments, earrings, etc. I've bought turkey feathers dyed to resemble eagle feathers since those are prohibited for most people. Here, we can't use feathers from migratory water fowl which puzzles me. I can buy grouse tails to make fans though.

Dream catchers that have been blessed by a mide are sacred objects, and there are ancient stories about dream catchers. Traditionally up here, they were made of dogwood twigs and sinew. But there are many variations now, and I'm sure traditional ones vary from tribe to tribe, too.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Feathers from migrating species are prohibited, which is going to be most anything you find in your yard or the woods. I had some nice cardinal feathers a year or two ago and was surprised to find they are included. Cardinals are common as dirt, but they migrate, so no go.

I have half a pheasant a friend gave me. It's a game bird, not prohibited. Lovely feathers in several different colors and patterns. I'm guessing turkeys and ducks don't count either. I believe both are farmed for craft products.

Didn't get far on the quilt. Put the first piece of sashing on wrong and it took forever to remove it. Then when I sewed the 2nd strip of blocks they stretched in the middle and I had to unpick a section, ease it in and re-sew it. Was pinning the third section on and realized there is an extra piece of sashing that has to be removed from the last block in each set. More picking. Hand is starting to hurt from holding the seam ripper. So that is a project to pick up tomorrow or Sunday. We are spending Saturday with friends, so maybe not tomorrow.

DC, enjoy the free dinner!
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished the blanket. Those quilt clips worked really well, better result than the first binding I basted on. That blanket was on my bed as a teenager, so I just could not put it in the trash.

Back to some smallish sewing projects like changing hemlines and sleeve lengths on shirts. I hope I can give away those dog bandannas tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish I had time to sew. I really want to get the covers done for the pantry baskets in the camper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished 2 quick but critical projects already today, the strap to connect the dogs' cables with anti-tangle hardware to the trailer frame, and the little loop strap to go on the new handrail so we can clip the cables to it when they're not in use. Both should
    make a big difference, but they're just theories at this point. Will try them out later today.

Off to city-wide sales. Hope I find some bedding.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - happy shopping!

I was surprised to hear about the feathers, but the further information made sense of it. I have some pretty pheasant feathers I picked up on eBay or Etsy for the needlework stash. I’m glad I don’t have to run around with a guilty conscience over those. I’m happy migratory birds are protected and it seems a little extreme to become a felon for picking up a cardinal’s feather, but I guess there’s no way to prove you didn’t shoot the bird to get it.

I’m thinking it may be better just to do normal scarves and save the double thread for lapghans. After more experimenting I would have to choose the yarn carefully for the scarves. Some of the newer yarns are a little thinner and it works best if one of the two threads is on the thin side. Two of the more normal slightly thicker colors is too much and the really thicker old yarn would not work at all. Another option, if Sharon likes them, would be to bring down the Pound of Love stash from the attic and use that since it’s a little thinner than most of the RH. I said I had very little yellow but that was RH. I have plenty of it in the PoL. Since most of the scarves seem to be going to the girls the softer baby colors would be ok.

I watched the single crochet foundation row tutorial last night and it was very helpful. I looked at the comments and many said they had had trouble with the stitch and found it really confusing, but this tutorial made it clear what was really happening and it makes sense now. Ditto. It should be easy to do now. I’ll try it on the scarf I start.

I had a rare night when I just could not fall asleep and then woke up earlier than usual and just gave up on it. I’ve had very little sleep so whatever happens today is going to be low key. I foresee crashing before long. I should download some favorite and often listened to audiobook so when I inevitably fall asleep it won’t matter. Definitely nothing that requires attention to follow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The sales were a big disappointment. Not many of them, and not much of the things we normally see. Almost no bedding, nothing I wanted. No big sales at the churches or school. I splurged on 3 antique blue glass jars, although at $3 each it wasn't much of a splurge. Two are half gallons, which are HTF. One of those is the side wire style with glass lid, even more HTF. Mom is 90 and said she had never seen one like it, and neither have I. The 3rd one was pint size, and it and the screw top half gallon size came with zinc caps. Usually the caps alone are $1. I also picked up another antique pint, clear glass that's embossed all over except for a smooth square on one side, which I got for a quarter. Mom said it's an old coffee jar. I don't need any jars but I like unusual pint jars and have lots of seasonings in them. Lids from Parmesan cheese containers fit them, and I also bought a bunch of Ball shaker tops. I try not to collect stuff unless it actually serves a purpose for me.
    2019 Stash Management-20190601_130657_1559412526436.jpg

It was a disappointing morning, but that's how it goes sometimes. I'm happy about the jars and the other stuff we got. Sales are just starting so something will turn up for the camper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went to the nursery to get 3 baby plants for .99 each and spent $30. Husby loves red and succumbed to some red Wave petunias, and we ended up buying two 1 gallon size tomato plants and some other veggies. I hope we're done now but we never know.

We tested the new dog gear and it should improve things. Tangled tie outs are a constant problem which makes it impossible for us to sit and relax, so if the new hardware helps, it will make camping a lot more enjoyable again. We won't know how good it all is till we field test it, of course. It's hard to get a good pic but here you can see the strap I made, and how the tie outs clip to the rotating part which allows the cables to turn and untangle as the dogs pull in opposite directions. They also can be manually untangled by rotating the part without having to unclip them, much safer. Normally the hardware would be hanging free under the frame the strap is around, giving the rotating piece plenty of room, but I set it on top the frame for the pic.
    2019 Stash Management-20190601_134720_1559417423091.jpg

The other little project was something to clip the cables to so they're convenient when we're inside the camper. We used to use web leashes that fit under the door, so the snap hooks could just lay on the floor inside. That won't work with our current maniacs, since their cables won't fit under the door. I hate leaving them laying in the dirt and grit outside, and it's inconvenient and not safe if we have to go outside to fetch them because the dogs are always in a hurry to go out and might escape. So I made this simple loop with a ring that attaches to the handrail. Now we can just open the top half of the door, reach out and get the cables, and securely attach the dogs to the trailer before we even open the lower door. The only potential issue I see is the webbing might slip down the rail, but I'm not going to worry about that till I try it for a while. Both of these little mods don't seem like a big deal, but will make our camping so much easier.
    2019 Stash Management-20190601_134647_1559418920526.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A troop of Brownies happened to be at the park and loved the Shelties. They also decided the dog bandannas made a fabulous fashion accessory so all are gone except for 1. McGruff Crime Dog and Sparky the fire dog were also there. Rather a hot day for the poor guys who had to wear those costumes.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dlr, sounds like a fun day in the park.

SD, I can see how the leash mods would be useful. Great ideas! Nice finds with the Ball jars. They are making those blue ones again. JA had them. I used to love yard sales and the like, just don't have room for more stuff any more.

I finished the first small quilt this morning:

Name:  IMG_20190601_114743831.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  14.3 KB

I have fabric to make at least 2 more of these. That will probably be all I am interested in for a while. I think for the next one I am going to add another FQ of blue or purple. to make it a little easier to randomize the blocks.

DC, hope you get a good night's sleep and can enjoy working on projects tomorrow.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some little child will be greatly comforted by your beautiful quilt, CH. Nice work as usual.

I wish I could claim credit for the detangling device because I think it's genius, but I found it on Pinterest. It was the only thing I could find at all to solve this problem, so I feel lucky.

I want to keep working on the camper, but we need to slather on the bug spray and get done with the gh panels. Maybe if it's windy I can start the clothesline for the camper. Or do more important stuff.

We're under a frost advisory tonight. In June. Glad I didn't get the cucumbers planted yet. Husby put everything portable in the gh for the night.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 We bought a set of garden decorations today in the form of 2 owls. One is about the size and shape of a basketball, theother is like a small canteloupe. Husby put them on a table in front of the LR windows, facing in. Shadow is standing on the couch growling at them, poor girl. She's such a worrywart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The new blue Ball jars aren't the same as the vintage ones. I read somewhere the old color had to do with sand from Lake Michigan that the glass was made from. I've always loved the old blue glass and all of it I have is in use, mostly as food storage, but I also made 2 foamy soap dispensers from a quart and a pint.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I wasn't looking for new bedding, we probably wouldn't be going to sales now. I don't want to add to our clutter around here either. But I use half gallon jars a lot for different things. I get 4 half gallon jars per year from olives we buy at WM, and I use those, too, so I don't feel like the jars are clutter. I do need to clear some space in the pantry so I can group all the jars in one space though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use as little glass as possible now. After several years ago dropping a glass baster that ended in a trip to the ER and several follow up trips to the doc, and a year or so later more glass working its way out of my heel meaning more doctor visits, I learned my lesson. If I can drop it, make it plastic or metal. I love glass but have no desire to go through that again.

I slept most of yesterday afternoon as predicted. Three hours the night before was not enough to function on. Followed by a long nightís sleep I feel quite human again today.

Iím only a few rows from the end of one scarf. I started another to try. Itís some of the really old RH that is quite thick and stiff. I used a K hook. That makes it a little more open than I would like, but is flexible enough to pretend to be a scarf. Since itís work over a coat it might pass. Thatís another that will wait for the Sharon seal of approval. If not, and personally I would not like it for a scarf, I would put all that type of yarn aside for a lapghan, or maybe just discard it. I donít know how much of it there is. I think sometime this week Iíll get a neighbor to retrieve all the RH from the attic. It will be a big messy pile somewhere, but I think I need to go through all of it and see whatís actually there.

I could also use the stiff yarn in baskets where it would be an asset. I donít really need more baskets now but it would be a better use for it.

Here are the baskets I made for the Christmas presents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-26c83dea-2d60-4d01-9f01-957c51a4d5ba.jpg