2019 Stash Management - Page 67
Page 67 of 131 FirstFirst ... 17576465666768697077117 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1955
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love the baskets! Pretty colors and functional, too.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyone is going to love those, D. So many ways to use them.

I dug around in scrap stash and located most of what I need for the Aliner quilt blocks. I have so many other priorities but I need some leisure time too.

We got the new tomatoes potted so that's done.

A couple years ago I salvaged a big bird cage. We have always been able to grow nice zucchini plants, but something always eats the blossoms, so we never get anything from the plants. Frustrating. So we potted the zucchini we bought yesterday and put it in the cage. Mice might be able to get in, but it should definitely keep out everything else. I sure hope we get some zucchini this year. We like it, especially on the grill, and if there's enough I would like to dehydrate some, too. The cage needed minor repair, which I did using a big cone of lightweight wire I got yesterday for .50. We need light wire every now and then but never seemed to have any around, so now we do. About time.
    2019 Stash Management-20190602_115854_1559496531587.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since I can reach the rear roof latches in the camper again with the big bed gone, I put up the portable shower I've been working on for several years. I took some pics as visual aids. Here's the top part, since there's no way to get far enough back to take a pic of all of it at once. I made a web harness to support the shower curtain a few years ago.
    2019 Stash Management-20190602_143256_1559508570533.jpg
    The 4 corners of the harness attach to the 4 roof latches. This was the first big hurdle I faced when I initially thought of this project, because there's nothing to use as attachment points to hold anything up, and I wasn't willing to use things like tension rods because of limited storage. The webbing works quite well and folds up with the curtain to fit into its storage bag.
    2019 Stash Management-20190602_143501_1559508699406.jpg
    The shower pan is a small tote.
    2019 Stash Management-20190602_143238_1559509015344.jpg
    It does not need to be big because feet don't take much space. The upper area of the shower is about 3x3, plenty of space to wash hair, etc. The size of the tote was a huge consideration because it had to be big enough to stand in but small enough to fit under the dinette bed and take as little space as possible, yet also big enough to hold all the shower parts and accessories including towels and other needs. Tricky.

The real hangup on this project has been trying to figure out a way to support the shower head. I had been working on the idea of some kind of pole that sat on the floor, but was never happy about that plan. I procrastinated because it would have caused permanent damage to the cabinets, and it would have needed too many connectors so it would break down to store in the tote and therefore might not be stable enough. But a couple weeks ago, I had one of those ideas that sometimes arrive fully formed in a split second, out of nowhere. I love when that happens! Here's the "rough draft" of the new idea. I just tested it, and it looks like it should work when it's completed and properly supported with the right connectors in various places.
    2019 Stash Management-20190602_144154_1559509826772.jpg
    It's just a piece of pipe that lays across the shelf and will be secured to it, probably with Velcro. A smaller pipe will slide into the first pipe and be secured with a hitch pin through both. I need to add some small parts so the hose will not slip off the end of the pipe and other details, but at least I finally have a plan I'm happy with. The hose runs down to the sink and uses a diswasher quick disconnect for the water source, so figuring out the shower head support is the last piece of a complicated puzzle.

I'm stoked to figure this out at last! There have been times when not having our own shower has been a personal security issue, but now if there's any question or a cg doesn't have showers or they're busy or icky, we will always be able to have a shower that's safe and clean and available. That's a good, good feeling.

I had to laugh. I don't think Husby had ever seen this project before. He knew I was working on it, but he was always at work when I had the webbing and curtain set up. He came in the camper and sat down, looking everything over but not saying anything. Then he finally said, "That's ingenious." You would think he'd be used to the way my mind works by now. 🤣🤣🤣

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

very nice baskets ! finished another pussy cat hat. started another with the rest of the skein ..seeing if I get 2 from each caron cake. think I need to make them less rows because did the standard 17 of pattern but still big. so will see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heads come in different sizes, Martha. If you're giving them away maybe the bigger ones will still fit someone.

I'm obsessed with getting the shower done, so I cut and dry fitted the pipes. I have to fine tune it all yet but that won't take long. Everything will fit in the tote now. I have to find a hitch pin to pin the 2 pipes together, but that should be the biggest challenge left. Then I can attach a couple strips of hook and loop tape to fasten the outer pipe to the shelf and I will be able to pack away the tote. I still have to install the quick disconnect ot the sink faucet, but that's nothing. I can't believe I'm almost done! It's been like Christmas around here the past week.

My junk pile is the gift that keeps on giving. I can't reach the roof windows in the greenhouse and still haven't figured out how the original owner used a piece of straight pipe to do it from the ground, even though he showed us. I think it worked for him because he's taller than me. I've been thinking for a while if I put an L at the end of a pipe, it might work, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. While I was rummaging in the junk rack for the shower pipe today, I found another pipe. I thought about it when I went out to cut some other pipe that a T fitting would work, so fetched the pipe and T and it worked like a charm to close up all 4 roof windows. That's a relief! Now I don't have to get Husby to do it. I think it's hard for him too, so he'll appreciate the tool almost as much as I will. It's very simple and therefore was a quick task. I cut off a half inch to get rid of a little nick that was bothersome. The T goes on one end, and since the pipe was salvaged from some planters I made, it already had holes drilled in the other end so I just put a zip tie through to make a hanging loop. I will give the T on when I glue the shower pipe together, and it'll be done. Another tiny, simple thing that will make my life a lot easier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hit the wrong button and can't correct my typos. The main one is I will glue the T, not give, on the window tool.

I also did not post the pic of the window tool. It's nothing special but a pic makes things easier to visualize.
    2019 Stash Management-20190602_194116_1559525161996.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - your camper is definitely going be of a kind!

Thanks for all the kind words about the baskets. I think they will like them.

Sharon didnít get out to look at the scarves, but I had already made my decisions. I will not do the double strand ones. Too puffy. As for the old thick stiff scratchy RH, I will use it with the K hook. If whoever gives them out doesnít like them, they can be tossed. Iíll be using the big K hook and they take very little time to make. I figured that if you have nothing, at least itís something. Anyway, they should soften up after a wash or too. I donít like donating things I think arenít up to par, but Iíll make an exception here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These were the most fun thing we found at the sales yesterday. They were NIB with an invoice listing original price of $50. We got them for $12.50. We've been waiting patiently all day for them to charge up so the eyes will light up. Sun's going down, so any time now. Shadow made her peace with them after I took her out for a good sniff yesterday, so she's no longer worried about them.
    2019 Stash Management-20190602_203716_1559526254536.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You don't know the half of it, D! I've done so much work on it, my pics have gotten passed around a lot and show up on Pinterest every time I search for Aliner ideas. Which always surprises me. I just love doing cool stuff to it, and love to share because people have helped me with their ideas, and because A frame campers have unique problems and limitations and a relatively small pool of owners, so there isn't a lot of info out there about how to mod them. I freely copy ideas others have posted, but stuff like the shower curtain harness is an original idea. Maybe it will help someone else like the swivel idea for dog tie outs was a godsend for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - Our bathroom has a high skylight that opens. Former homeowner also had a boat, and he kept & left a boat hook in the bathroom that we use to open & close the sky light. Is that what you need for the GH?

I took the "tails" off 2 more shirts. 1 of them needs sleeves shortened also, probably tonight.
    Cool weather next 2 days, I have more weeds to pull but hopefully will be done before it is hot again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think a boat hook would work. The roof windows have straight pieces about 8 inches, with holes in them. The attached end rotates. To open one, you have to lift the straight piece, which is horizontal, off a peg on the window frame. That's where a right angle is needed, so I can slip my new stick over the window piece and lift it off the peg to unlock it. Then the piece hangs straight down and I can use the tip of the pipe to push the window piece up and then slip one of the holes in it over the peg, which then props the window open.

I actually made 2 boat hooks to use with our HydroBikes. I couldn't find one long enough so made one using 10' of PVC and a sink trap. We use that one the most. I also made a shorter one. They both work great and make it so easy to guide the bikes into position to haul them up the boat rollers out of the lake.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have heard people say that Red Heart super saver and other yarn people think is scratchy softens up after it is washed. Some people have actually washed the yarn before they crochet with it. I believe fabric softener was also used. The pictures showed they did not wind it into a loose skein, they just washed it in the ball. I am not show how it would dry like that. Or how it would not become a tangles mess. But apparently some people have made it work.

As for me, I have sensitive skin, so certain yarns I have to take a pass on. I was disappointed by the Vanna's Choice yarn. I really like the color pallet for it, but the yarn did not feel good to me.

I cut out pieces of felt for a felt bird. This one will be a robin with brown and red felt. The red part of the robin will be a fairly dark red. I am trying to to the birds I can with the felt I have on hand. Some of the assorted tans and browns pack will work for dolls. Some of the colors had a mottled pattern that would not work for people, but may be good for a bird. I am using one of the solid browns for this one. It is a darker brown I do not think would work well for a doll. It is is a realistic skin tone, but facial details tend to not show up to well with darker browns.

Most of the birds have legs that are floral wire wrapped with floral tape. I will probably pick some of that up. I have wire, but the thickness is hard to bend and hard to cut. I may have some thinner wire. I will check around.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was planning to start making some solid color scarves for a change, but I think Iíll keep plowing through the variegated and fleck yarn. Yesterday I finished scarf 60. 42 of those were given out last school year so I donít have many yet for this year.

61 is about half done. Iím using the old Artist Print. I had been bouncing around from color to color but I may try to be a little more methodical so as I finish colors I can get all the leftover bits out of the pile.

Mama barn swallow is sitting on the second clutch. More babies to come.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dlr, you are getting a whole new wardrobe!

SD, isn't pvc great stuff!

Kathy, the birds sound fun. I have saved a bunch of online instructions for crafts like that, that I would like to get to someday.

Today is the only day I don't have to leave the house for an appt of some sort, so I am going to try and get as much sewing done as possible... after planting the tomatoes and peppers.

Our annual doll house show is this weekend. I am not signed up for a class this year. I will just go Saturday and enjoy it. Our great big biennial quilt show is the following weekend.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't get much crocheting done this weekend. I spent most of the day Saturday at the local Renn Fair. It was also warm over the weekend so I ended up working on a lapgan WIP that I had started and put aside at some point. It just barely covers my lap and isn't that wide so it wasn't as warm as the wool-blend afgan. I'll probably go back to the w-b afgan tonight since it's going to be cool again.