2019 Stash Management - Page 68
Page 68 of 194 FirstFirst ... 18586566676869707178118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup, love the PVC. Easy to work with, too.

After 7 long years... THE SHOWER IS COMPLETELY DONE! I mean completely. Nothing at all left to do. It's ready to use, and all packed and put away, along with the bath towels and whatnot. I can't believe it. So glad I finally figured out how to support the shower head by using the shelf, which damages absolutely nothing. I think the whole shebang will set up in about ten minutes, not bad. We won't use it a lot, but there have been times we would have if we had one. From the cg that was unexpectedly closed in ND where we planned to shower, the shower place in OK with no privacy at all from others including people walking by outside the building, the creepy cg owner in WY who kept lurking around, being alone in some cg shower buildungs with no locks, skipping some showers because they were disgusting, etc, it will be good to have a backup plan again. Most cgs have nice, well kept showers, but there are enough iffy ones to make having our own worthwhile. When we stayed at YS, there weren't any showers at our cg, and the nearest showers at another cg were a long drive away, like everything else in YS. We were so happy then to have the shower I built in the Mustang! Anyway, it feels so good to get this ready. I put the spare hand towels and dish cloths in the tote and still have some space. I don't know what else to put in there, but no doubt I will find something. No space to waste in our little rolling cabin.

I also did a small mod on the 6 puck lights that kept falling off the wall shelf onto the glass lids on the stove and sink. The little plastic clips on them aren't strong enough to keep them clipped together, so I drilled appropriate holes in each one and used little zip ties to attach the battery covers to the rest of the light, which are the 2 problematic pieces. We will have to cut and replace the zip ties to remove or replace batteries, but we could buy a lifetime supply of the zip ties for what it would cost to replace one of the glass lids. We've missed the lights and used them a lot, so it will be good to have those back.

I need to locate my camper to-do list so I can start crossing stuff off. Next up has to be getting the water system
    ready for the season and replacing the broken parts on the outside shower. We're kind of waiting for the black flies to die off a little. It's miserable outside right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In today's episode of When Bugs Attack, we got the legs put on the table garden before the onslaught got too bad. It's not done but it's a one person job to finish now. I want to plant kale and lettuce or maybe a salad blend.

Only one of my beans and peas came up. I will replant them if they don't appear soon. Maybe I planted too deep. It's been cold here part of the time since planting, too.

We replaced the lines on the gh roof windows, since the old ones were broken off. Now we can pull the windows closed while standing on the floor. That should help.

And we finally cut down a steel post a birdfeeder sits on so now it's the right height.

Little stuff, but still progress.

I decided I need to do better planning our garden. I'm going to make a list of all the stuff we're likely to grow, figure out what we have to grow each thing in, and then try to come up with a list of containers we still need to find, buy, or build. I need a good to-do list for the garden. That would help set priorities. Not that setting priorities has worked very well for us this year. Oops.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got cucumbers and peppers planted before the heat wiped me out. It was not all that hot (84) but I was in direct sun, and had to take a couple trips up and down the stairs to get all the tools and plants. Got to use my nifty compost sifter that DH made for me last night out of scraps. It is a piece of chicken wire stapled to a wood frame made with 2x4s. The compost pile is full of sticks and things that didn't quite finish composting, so this is a good way to separate the fine soil from the chunky bits.

Back in the AC I worked on the next child sized quilt. Dug around and found a piece of magic mushroom fabric to add to the mix. Not something I would ever have purchased, but it works ok:

2019 Stash Management-img_20190603_160230705.jpg

Got all 5 segments sewn before dinner. Tomorrow I have to go for a crown, if I am not too messed up after I will try and get it finished. I think I have confirmed that it was one particular cone of cotton that was making my machine loop. I wound several bobbins and when I used it with cotton/poly it got all loopy. When I use the same cotton on top it sews fine.

My William Morris repro fabrics came. They look like this.

2019 Stash Management-william_morris_kelmscott-510x680.jpg

I think I will use them to make a lap quilt, but not any time soon.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have figured out I won't be able to complete any big projects this year, they will have to wait until next year (I plan to quit work at the end of December.) So the wallpaper in the main floor bathroom that the cat ripped up will have to stay for a while. I will have to be content with small progress/accomplishments but that's OK. Hence all the clothing make-overs, repairs, and sorting out other items to keep versus get rid of.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went through that too. It's why we're so jammed up right now, jumping from one project to another. It's frustrating but it's a little like decluttering a room. It's chaos to begin with, but eventually things start to get untangled then progress goes faster.

Can't decide what to tackle today. The bugs are still bad. I do need to plant some stuff though. For starters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the reproduction prints.

It seems like I am often seeing fabric I like. I feel like even if I could sew and quilt full time I would still have surplus fabric if I got everything I like. I have cut back on sewing with fabric temporarily. It is not so much that I have gotten tired of it. It is just that I have to set things aside to work on other things.

Maybe when I retire, I will have time to do all the crafts I want. I would like to be able to pick a craft or two and get into it at really deep level. Or at least get to the point where I am past the advance beginner level. But I have dreams that in retirement I could pick something and do it for a few hours a day for six months to a year.

A few month ago I had a sewing machine issue that also turned out to be thread. My machine kept jamming. I cleaned and oiled the inside - and it still kept jamming. I took out the thread and replaced it with another spool and everything went smoothly.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If I made an actual to do list I would probably just sit and look at it - lol.

I was wrong on the scarf count. The one I said was 60 was actually 63. I finished the artist print scarf and got one more out of the yarn so I am up to 65. Then I started one with gray ombre. It’s not a kid color but it can go to an older student with quieter taste. There must be at least one, though I realize understated is not in fashion. I had that about 1/4 done, realized my rows were one stitch short and had to rip out about half of it. I got it back to where I had been and decided that was enough for the day.

My crabapple tree is finally, definitely dead, dead, dead. First and second years it did not add one single leaf to the small complement it came with. This spring it put out a handful of new ones that was at least a baby step in the direction. But sitting in the porch the other day I saw that every leaf was dead. I’ll have to replace it with something next fall, so I can obsess over what to plant for the next few months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

JA is in no hurry. The yellow yarn order was first estimated to arrive yesterday. Then was changed to Thursday. Today it’s been changed to Saturday. Bridge washed out? Courier buried in an avalanche? Buffalo herd on the tracks?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope someday I can do just crafts, too, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I make all kinds of lists, but then I lose them. It's hilarious when I find them years later and see not one thing has gotten done.

We went out this morning to look at the table garden and were surrounded by black flies in 3.5 seconds. But we're so annoyed with the greenhouse materials being in the way and worried about damaging them, so we hauled out the bug spray and got to work. We had precut all the roof panels except the roof windows, so after we got the cut panels in, we cut the last 4x8 panel for the 4 roof windows and installed those too. The roof is completely done and the ladders are out of the gh, thus guaranteeing the "slight chance" of severe weather tonight will produce baseball size hail and a derecho. I'm still happy it's done. We have some wall panels to put in yet but we won't have to be up on ladders for that. Those materials aren't in the way, either, so it's less of a priority. Glad the roof is moved to the ta-done list. It looks so nice now and lets in more light. No more icky yellow panels full of cracks and holes.

A couple months ago I bought a folding silicone popcorn popper at GW for $3. It goes in the microwave. I wasn't sure we'd like it, but it's okay. I have a crank style popper in the camper, but I think we will try the new one for a while. It makes decent popcorn and takes a lot less room. I'm re-examining almost everything in the camper lately, fine tuning it all to make it function better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, sorry about your crabapple. Hope you find a new healthy tree you like.

Flooding has a lot of roads and bridges still closed around here. Depending on where your yarn is being shipped from, that could be a cause of delays.

I wanted more neutral fabrics for my quilting project so I went by the 2nd hand fabric store and got 3 half yds. It will go fast. Also stopped at Tuesday Morning and saw they had delicious charm packs in batiks and huge strip rolls in pastel florals. I had an armload of them and put it all back. Yes, I would use it, but don't need it. I really am trying to get some of this stuff off my floor.

We don't have black flies here but I remember them from my youth. They are awful! The mosquitoes have hatched here, with the amount of rain and standing water I think it is going to be a bad year. I got bit last night taking a bowl of food out on the deck for the cats. Was outside less than a minute. They always find me.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dcomp - those crochet baskets are very nice. i got the pattern from the you tube site you mentioned. just have to get some variegated yarn. i will make for Christmas presents although not quite as many as you did. beautiful work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Early bird - I’ve found them fun to make. For some I used three variegated yarns, for others I used one or two with solids. I’m enjoying using mine for the working part of the stash.

CH - when the delivery changed to Thursday it was in Arkansas. Now that it’s changed to Saturday, it’s in Dallas. Three hours away. Good thing I’m not in a hurry for it.

I’m about half finished with the gray scarf but working half heartedly. It’s not inspiring. I might have enough for a second one, but would really be unhappy to get almost finished with it and run out. What’s left will probably just go in the leftover, to be used later, basket.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This was last nights project. I was sorting through some paper and thought I'd make a few envelopes. I've started making my own envelopes, rather than try to hunt down the size I need. These came out well, but when I turned them over after cutting them out I discovered a problem.

2019 Stash Management-img_20190604_210531373.jpg

Oh well, I have lots of colored tape I can use over it once they get sealed. And this is another example of why I don't sew or craft in the evenings.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished the boring gray scarf and badly misjudged the quantity. I ended up with only about a tennis ball size remnant. I don’t know why it looked like so much more in the collapsing skein. It’s a 10oz, a size I have almost no experience with. That’s probably why. That’s a good outcome since I really wanted most of it to be gone. I don’t remember using it in a basket but obviously I did. Or did I make another scarf last year? Who knows.

Next color up is the discontinued sea grass. It’s one of the thicker yarns so I’m using the K hook and the scarf is rolling out fast. I have a full cake and a smaller partial one. If I can get anywhere close to 36” out of that I should have enough for two scarves. I’ll just have to see how far it goes. I’m making the scarves 48-50”.

We’ve had light showers off and on through the night and one is starting now. It’s a nice change from the downpours. I haven’t looked at the forecast to see how long this should last but I hope for a while. It’s deliciousl cool and breezy right now. I could live with that for a while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went back to working on the wool-blend afgan last night. I've been a bit out of sorts so I generally don't get much done on it. I tend to pick it up and put it down. But every little bit helps. Hopefully I'll have it done by fall, at least. I'm not in too much of a hurry since it's for me. I do have to pick up some wool yarn from Joann's since I promised someone a wool afgan for their mother(-in-law). But that doesn't need to be done until winter either.