2019 Stash Management - Page 7
Page 7 of 129 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

started crocheting a capelet for my mother in laws birthday. mandala yarn called unicorn which is pinks and greys..she always liked it but if I said I would make her something like a blanket she said no because she wouldn't use it so it would be a waste. came across a capelet idea so decided to do that. since it is easy to put around her shoulders. and have one skein that is mostly pink which is what she likes. haven't done much except get xmas sorted and put away. plus a couple

I started taking pictures of our stuff before we went on a trip. it was embarassing so messy esp downstairs at the time. so need to do it for inventory one day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, would your mother use a lapgan when sitting on the couch/in a chair while watching TV? (Lapgans being just large enough to cover her lap when sitting.) I would make these for my mom as well as for people she thought needed them from the healing ministry at her church.

Almost done with skein #7 on my wool afgan. I will likely have it done either tonight or tomorrow night. Then on to skein #8.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My thumb has decided life can go on. I am grateful to it for that.

I finally finished up the beads and buttons. I didn’t put the extra table away but it’s ready to go and first on my list for today. The rest should go a lot faster. I need to sort out the silk ribbon. I had first thought I would put them on floss bobbins - I only have a yard or two of each - but I think I won’t take the time to do that now. I’ll just add them to the containers with all the other ribbons. It won’t take long to do it that way. I also have some threads, mostly perle, that needs to be put on bobbins, but they are just going to be tossed in the thread bins. I can always do that later.

I never did any real cooking. I’ve been subsisting mostly on frozen pot pies and sandwiches, not the best or healthiest menu for sure. If I dig down in the freezer I am sure to unearth some cooked meat - I know there’s some chicken in there somewhere - and I’ll use that to make some quick chicken vegetable soup today. I have a can of vegetable juice and some chicken broth long in the pantry that needs to be used. Some potato and frozen veggies and I’ll be good to go. Pre-fab soup.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the little blue gowns done except putting on the bow ties, bonnets are done, too. It all took longer than it should have. My skills are rusty for this kind of sewing. It took forever to figure out the bonnet which is actually very simple, but speed will pick up.

I stumbled on a little tote full of laces and other gown supplies, and the defective vests were in there. I think the reason they don't fit the gowns is either when the patterns were downloaded they did not print at 100%, or else there should have been a seam allowance added which is not mentioned in instructions. It will be an easy fix. Vests will be a quick and easy way to dress up a plain gown.

A few months back I picked up a bag of white shirt buttons, about a half gallon, at GW. I had no project in mind for them and it's an assortment, so probably not enough of any one kind for something like a shirt, but for 50 cents I could not pass them up. I'm so glad I grabbed them! They're just what I need for these gowns at a cost of almost nothing.

Pathetic. Shadow is laying in front of the fireplace, which is not on, curled up with her tail over her nose, which is husky for "Hey, I am freezing over here." I try not have the fireplace on during the day, but even though the lying thermometer says it's 70 in here, it's cold.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to work at a place with a lying thermostat. It said it was 72, but my coworker and I were really cold even though we dressed warmly. We asked them to turn up the heat, but they refused because it was 72 in the office.

I sorted through the fabric today. One box of fabric good for bears and other animals. It is mostly quilting fabric with a couple of recycled men's dress shirt bits.

Another box is old knit shirts and some stretchy material. Generally this does not work good for stuffed animals. They stretchiness makes it hard to work with. It generally works well for skirts where I want a little stretch. There are no bits that are big enough to make a skirt by themselves. I think I can get two or three patchwork skirts out of it.

I can also do some arm warmers from some of the stretchy stuff. However, I do not think I will keep many scraps from it.

This brings me to the problematic box three. I have some plain fabric in white, off white and brown. This should work to do embroidery on. Then there are lots of little works in progress I have not done anything with for a while. And finally there is a stack of fabric that does not seem suitable for anything but I can not bring myself to toss.

I did have one small bag of stuff to toss.

Down to maybe 2 2/3 boxes.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I said when I got a cleared table I would get a pic of the bingo haul. I think this is all of it except one crossword book that I forgot to put in. Of course the real prizes are the stunning Mardi Gras mask and the lovely pink unicorn visor. I have a good idea who picked that out and Iím going to give it to her for her April birthday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-caa08544-1f71-49cc-a144-534ae3ccb529.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That looks like a nice haul, D.

Today's goal is to work through all the gown fronts that are currently plain, by getting the vests figured out for some and using embellishments that can be easily and quickly applied on others. I need to start getting some traction because I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I hope my wrist quits acting up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good morning all. Sounds like there is lots of good stuff going on here. I did manage to get my 10,000 steps in yesterday. and I also managed to pick up a new piano student starting this next week. I was able to get the pattern figured out for the bolero jacket. She wanted different sleeves and needed to draft that part of the pattern. Will make a model in muslin before I cut into the lace for that. I found much of the music I need for this upcoming wedding too so have started the practice on getting that ready. ( also found out I will be playing for church the next couple of weeks too, so need to throw that practice in too) going to do a crock pot of something here today too and I was also thinking of a veggie chicken soup. how funny is that for both of us to want to do the same thing. ( my dh doesn't care for pasta, except for spaghetti, and I get really tired of that being the only pasta we eat because that is the only kind he likes. silly man)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

knotme - congrats on the new student. As Iíve said before I am in awe of all of you with actual talent and skill with a sewing machine. If the world depended on me for wedding gowns, it would be disappointed and have to wait for them until the evolution of a wedding gown tree. Or perhaps a strain of overachiever silk worms.

Little by little my house and stash is returning to order. Iím at that conflicted point where I really want it finished but I am very weary of working on it, so itís progressing more by fits and starts. My goal is to have it all done by the end of the weekend.

My chicken soup didnít work out. What I was so sure was chicken turned out to be a chunk of pork loin. I could have made slow soup with uncooked chicken but all of that is in large trays, not individual bagged pieces. Youíre never too old to learn new tricks. When I buy chicken, why donít I take it out of the tray and separate the pieces before I freeze it, and then bag them? Because it never occurred to me. Duh. Man, that soup would have been so good! I may do a pot of beans and ham today. I got a really good deal on cubed ham and picked up several packages to use with beans. I like beans and donít know why I donít cook them more often.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Busy, busy. I don't know how you do it, KM.

I'm working my way through the gown fronts and have all of them done except those that need fabric behind a lace motif. I just finished ripping 3 more gowns for that. I sure picked up some beautiful fabrics in these adult dresses.

I need to find a good pattern for quick and simple bow ties. So far it seems like making loops in ribbon and throwing another loop around the middle is the easiest. More stuff to make at night while I watch TV. I'm okay with that, just need to buy ribbon.

Husby wants to go to GR tomorrow. I'd rather not but JA is on the way and has a good ad. We don't need to do a big shop but I think someone has cabin fever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on skein #7. Had a long chat with my dad last night so I didn't get to finish the skein. Hope to get it done tonight but it'll be fine if I don't. I really appreciate the fact that it covers my legs now, especially since it's going to be really cold over the next few days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got busy sorting silk ribbon and didn’t get the beans started. What sounds good now is grilled cheese and tomato soup. I have some havarti slices that have been in the fridge for a long time and need to be used. It’s turning colder here too with rain supposed to start around midnight.

I was putting fabric in the cabinets and embellishments in a big bookcase, but I think I’m try switching that. I’ll have to experiment to see if it will fit.

I also want to go through the lace and for those I had to buy in multiple yards, cut off about a yard and put the rest in storage. I’ll only be using short pieces and that will cut down the bulk of current stash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mmmmm, havarti. I had mine with supper. It had caraway in it.

I made notes on my bead tubes so I would know how many tubes of any excess I had. There's only room in my bead trays for one tube of each color, and the notes keep me from having to dig through the overflow tub. It's been helpful.

Husby found out gas is under $2 in Hibbing, so now he wants to go there. I'm okay with that, I guess. I'd rather stay home. We'll see how how the roads look in the AM. I like the Hibbing WM and it's right next to JA. Hibbing is 50 miles closer than either Duluth or GR, so that would save 2 hours of drive time. If we go, I want to be home by dark which is around 5 PM.

I was happy to hear Jayme Closs was found alive. Duluth news has been covering her kidnapping extensively since it happened 89 days ago. Even the weather guy was ecstatic tonight. The woman Jayme found to help her is a retired social worker who dealt with traumatized kids, so by chance she found the right person. These cases don't usually end well. She has a long road ahead but at least she's home tonight, safe with her extended family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to say I got all the fronts done for the gowns, ripped up another big one, made 2 purple rosettes for 2 baby gowns with purple trim, and matched up fronts and backs and clipped each gown together so stuff doesn't get mixed up. It's all ready to start sewing now, the fun part. I ended up with a spare set of back pieces so will probably just cut another front and add it to the mix. Have to cut more neck facings, too. Things should start moving a lot faster now.

I want to makes 6 more of the blue gowns in 3 sizes when I'm done with all the white gowns. Have to make bonnets for everything too, then loads of angel wraps. I hope I can wrap everything up by the end of February. Getting all that done is my minimum before I go searching for more hospitals to donate to. I hope to work up a lot of the bridesmaids gowns yet this winter, too. It's going better as I figure out how to make my assembly line work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    Martha, would your mother use a lapgan when sitting on the couch/in a chair while watching TV? (Lapgans being just large enough to cover her lap when sitting.) I would make these for my mom as well as for people she thought needed them from the healing ministry at her church.

Almost done with skein #7 on my wool afgan. I will likely have it done either tonight or tomorrow night. Then on to skein #8.
    I do make them for people ..like them better then a full blanket! faster. my mother in law doesn't like lapgans. I offered to make one out of the mandala unicorn ages ago but nope. but it is true she doesn't like them or scarves. so since she doesn't really need anything for her birthday decided on this because it is easy for her to put on and off at home or put on her knees. lightweight which is good for our weather. using one we call a mandalcorn..mandala yarn that is missing part of its colourway or has more. unicorn is shades of pink and grey/white but this one has lots and lots of pink. discovered a mistake a couple of rows after ..so had to frog it back to that point. so not much progress.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/crochet...h_capelet.html

Page 7 of 129 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107 ... LastLast