2019 Stash Management - Page 71
Page 71 of 179 FirstFirst ... 21616869707172737481121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2680
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're half done with the water system, with the antifreeze flushed out, water heater rinsed, and bleach in all the lines. I also replaced the broken shower head, a 30 second job. It does not look like the faucet is leaking now, and it has no obvious damage, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I won't have to replace that. If not, then all the big repairs should be done for this year. We just have flush the system again and then refill it, and it will be ready for summer.

Husby found a board scrap, which I cut to fit in the bottom of the pail where the water pump will live. We will find some bolts in stash to bolt the pump to the board. Getting closer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M - stay well. Tell the kids that It’s nice to share but that there are exceptions to the rule.

SD - congrats on all the work finished on the camper. It feels really great to get a job done that’s been on the “dreaded” list. I’m sure we all know about that.

I finished then blue jewel yarn and got two scarves out of it - barely. On the second one on every fourth row I skipped every other dc making a row with holes. It looks fine so I will probably use it more for iffy amounts of yarn. I could maybe get another from the emerald like this, but it would be a near thing so I probably won’t try it.

I pulled out the first grab bag - periwinkle. I have a ton of that color. I had to split it into two bags, or maybe three. I don’t remember. This bag has 5 cakes, one of them a little smaller. I probably have some with the remnants, but if not I would still do a partial scarf at the end since I know more is coming.

The ag books came. The two on home fruit trees and vegetable garden are great. The honey plants book was an expensive disappointment, not at all helpful. The audience seems to be for those with established hives and points out things in random landscapes that be additional nectar and pollen sources. It focuses on trees (I can only get so many in my little yard) and weedy wildflowers that grow on roadsides and abandoned fields. I doubt Sharon will want me put out a bunch of weeds, though as I’ve said I like the meadow look. No one around here wants anything that will give snakes cover.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today's agenda includes replanting beans and peas, then sewing the AC cover for the camper. We can't go anywhere without a cover. It needs a cover just sitting in the yard. Beyond that, I think it will just be odds and ends of chores that have been neglected lately.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m not sure what the day holds. I did one scarf yesterday but I may have been overdoing it. My thumb is very unhappy today, and there doesn’t appear to be anything in the weather to be the culprit. I think I need a day or two off from the crochet. But what to do instead?

I don’t want to start another embroidery because I have to haul out too much stuff to do that. I prefer to do one craft at a time and that is definitely something that takes more focused attention since it’s a learning process. I’m thinking of getting out a small cross stitch kit. I have several and I could pick that up to spell off the crochet. That would be a much easier now and then project than the embroidery. I also have a larger kit I would like to do. It’s a sort of steampunk mechanical fish. Of course I have lots of patterns too, but at the moment my floss is divided by color for the embroidery and pulling thread for a pattern would be an all day job. I’m talking myself into it. After breakfast I guess I will go through the kits and get a start on one. Maybe by tonight I can crochet a little.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dcompton..I find I have to change up my projects to do different stitches to keep my hands ok. finished another hat and started another out of the black lion brand homespun I found.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on the w-b afgan yesterday. It's coming along, especially since it was a bit cool. So having something covering my legs was nice.

Right now, I'm a little annoyed with the site where the writing group now meets. The coffee shop we used to go to has decided to close on Sundays. Rumor has it, someone complained about people coming and staying for hours on end without buying anything. Almost every time I've been there, it's been busy with people coming and going. If the rumor is true and they closed on Sundays, the joke's on them as Sundays are the days when the baker wasn't there anyway. There wasn't much to buy in the first place.

So the new writing group location is at a local restaurant (I won't dignify it by calling it a 'bakery'). But the wi-fi is terrible and slow and the place gets noisy. I think I'll probably just end up at the small Panera's near the coffee shop where we were initially. It's smaller and less noisy/crowded.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear your writing group moved. It's tough to find a good place to meet. It's tough for the stores, who want your business but can't afford to stay open without a certain volume of sales. One place DH tried for a while would only keep the cafe open half an hour after the group arrived. They could sit as long as they wanted after, but the shop was closed.

I'm not even turning on the sewing room lights today. It's my normal day to stay home but a friend had cherry trees that were in desperate need of picking. She runs a community garden and orchard down in the inner city and they are having a very bountiful year. Everyone there has had their fill and they keep coming. I think we picked almost half a peck of sour pie cherries. This afternoon I need to start pitting, and look up some canning recipes. Or maybe just freeze them.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The crochet/cross stitch may be s workable solution. I’ve always crocheted for hours at a stretch when in that mode, but maybe I just can’t, or at least shouldn’t do that anymore. My hand is some better as the day progresses but still really achy. When I went back through my kits I wanted to do all of them at once. Of course. I finally pulled out two. The first is a little sheep in a pasture kit that done all in monochromatic green shades, a Permin kit. The other is beaded kit with a tea theme.

I may try setting the phone timer for an hour of crocheting and then stop to do a little on the cross stitch. This will also help keep me from getting crazy bored with the scarves. Update - I have 31 ready to go. This is going to push the embroidery much farther off, but that’s ok. Goal for the rest of the year is to use up as much of the RH as possible. The big embroidery/embellishment stash can just sit there. It doesn’t take up nearly as much room.

All of this is subject to change at the first when.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I noticed one of the pear trees at dad's house is loaded with little ones. They were supposed to be all ornamental Bradford pear trees but apparently a "regular" tree got into the batch. I'm looking forward to some pears later. Got some years ago, not every year this happens.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My friend's orchard also has a lot of pears and apples coming this year. I hope it is a good crop for their community and they don't have any problems. Last year someone went by and stole all the peaches, even the green unripe ones.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the grab bag idea, D. I hope your hands can keep up with you.

I got the AC cover done. I was afraid it wouldn't fit because the new one is deeper than the old one, and it didn't. It's hard to explain, but because of the way the cover has to go on, it's always been difficult. With the greater depth, it was impossible. I ended up opening the seam on the bottom about 2.5" so the cover would slip on, and closing the new gap with a Velcro strip. Hope it does not blow off. At least it's covered now. It should be okay.

I also made the 4 straps to support the clothesline, and the bag got washed, so that project is done and in its new home in the camper. One more project off the list and off my table. We will need to add another handle to the back of the camper to support 2 of the straps, but that's a separate thing we've been meaning to do for about 5 years now. I need to order some other replacement parts for the camper one of these years, and see if the lift assist struts are available as an after market item.

I've noticed myself automatically grabbing the new handrail now. I no longer need to have handrail envy. I've been green since a friend from Oklahoma showed us the one on his A frame camper in 2013. Normally I don't covet other people's stuff, but it's really bothered me not having a rail of my very own. It's a good safety feature.

I keep trying to think what big projects are left, and all I can think of are the AARs, in particular the cabana. That one would at least double the size of the camper. We loved the AARs I made for our previous 2 Palominos. They were shady breezy bug-free places to relax, that also allowed the dogs to be off leash once in a while.

I'm sure I'll always tinker with small stuff. And I might be forgetting something. And the water transfer isn't quite done. But it still seems like the light at the end of the tunnel has finally appeared.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got my little embroidery done.2019 Stash Management-img_20190610_095433655_1560241650483.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That really turned out nicely.
    SD can you just put a bungee cord around the AC cover while traveling - should keep it from slipping off.
    Weather is nice, I better work on the yard while I can wear long sleeves & pants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - way to go! That’s cool. Are you putting it in your office?

I finished the scarf that was started and another one. Two and a half cakes of the periwinkle to go. That color is so thick I’m actually using a K hook, so these are rolling out at a good clip. The J made it a little too stiff.

I also got a good start on the little sheep cross stitch. I had gotten it out to start some time in the past but never did. I had the center marked so I started there, not the way I like to work. This must be the fabric that came with it because there is less extra fabric on the side than I usually use, probably why I had marked the center. So yesterday I did tedious intensive counting bits, getting some bridges worked to the bottom so I can work in my usual way. The bottom is also the fiddly bit. This one is the style where it’s all full stitches and you just backstitch across them, but I’m using partial stitches instead around flower petals. I’ll be glad to get past that today and it should go more quickly.

More detail than anyone wants. Anyway, it’s fun to be cross stitching again. And true confession time. Probably a year ago I had signed up at 123 stitch to be notified when a pattern I was looking at was on sale and had forgotten all about it. Yesterday the email popped up. So I ordered that. There is another I have looked at and passed over, saved for later, put on and off and on and off the wish list, in and out of the cart. That’s dumb. It’s clearly a pattern I really want. It’s a Christmas pattern incorporating names and lines from Christmas carols among Quaker motifs. So, yes, I finally got it. It’s a pretty expensive pattern, the reason I had been hesitating. They have also added some Panna kits (a Russian brand? Ukrainian? Something like that.) My clockwork fish and a whale kit are theirs, but I had had to order them from the UK at the time I got them. There was a little Panna goldfish kit on sale for $3 something and I tossed that in the cart too. It’s an addiction.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have lots of random buttons. I am going to start using them with my embroidery. I have more yellow buttons, but most of them are translucent. So when I put them on dark fabric, they do not look like bright yellow anymore.

I am trying to cut down on the amount of time I am on the internet when I am home. I am also trying to cut down on my phone app games. I am aiming for no more than once a day.

So little instead of looking online at things or playing a game for "just a few minutes" off and on, I will be reading or crafting for "just a few minutes." I expect to see my progress in crafting edge up a little bit. Although last weekend, a good chunk of the extra time was spent reading. My current hand sewing/embroidery project is a felt bird. I cut the pieces out last week. This weekend I did the embroidery on one of the wings. It looks different than how it turned out it the book. I kept telling myself "this is folk art style it does not need to be perfect." Plus it looks okay the way it is, you could only tell it was not like the original if you saw the original.

I have been inspired by some of the things I have seen on reddit. I want to try doll reroots. That is replacing the hair on a doll to make a one of a kind doll. I think I have brought this up before. I have a bunch of "someday" or "when I retire" crafts. I go back and forth in my mind. Is this something I can try out before then or not. I have brought embroidery from doing someday to doing now. But the cost of it is that I have not done any crochet for a long time. So would embroidery go by the side when I am doing something else.

Or maybe more bits of time will mysteriously appear when I start using my smart phone less.

I have not full figured out the computer thing for work days. Because it is not possible to tell work on the computer from non-work on the computer, my spare time tends to drift toward the computer. But I would like to have little bits of drawing in the day.

My tentative plan at work is to read books online. There are a few sites to read classic books online. There are also other free reading sites for contemporary books. Right now I have started reading a book on wattpad. I guess part of the point is to avoid the semi mindless browsing.
    KathyB