2019 Stash Management - Page 73
Page 73 of 129 FirstFirst ... 23637071727374757683123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1923
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    If it were me I'd really be narrowing down the number of recipes and the number of ingredients, and using seasoning mixes and prepared (home made) mixes as much as possible. Making very simple food, also eating the same dish more than once. A baggie of HM bbq rub takes up lots less space than a jar of oregano, a jar of paprika, a jar of garlic, etc. and can be used on beef and chicken, and even vegetables. I have a salt-free herb blend I love, too. At home I would not use it every night, but if I was camping I totally would use it every time I cooked chicken or fish during the entire week. It works in tuna, pasta, and chicken salad, and is great on vegetables.

I know it's a game these days to make the most elaborate recipes when you're camping or tailgating (and I'm not saying you do that), but for me it was always about simplicity. What is the least amount of crap I can pack. The last time I went camping we had to carry (walk) everything in to a site with no fresh water and no toilets. It was a bit rough. I don't remember what food we took, but it was very simple stuff.

Right now I'm taking a break from pitting cherries. I learned a tip from a friend, freeze the cherries in a pie plate lined with plastic wrap. It makes a nice flat disc for storage, and you know you have the exact amount for a pie. I believe I can get two pies and a batch of jam out of what I picked. I may invite myself back to pick another pie's worth this weekend.

Got to get those jam jars washed.....
    I was going to say the same thing. I have some spice mixes from epicure I use for that reason. plus things like chicken seasoning I got at a polish deli. plus of course things like taco mixes. but use them for a lot of things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    dc - thanks. This is the yarn I'm using for the fingering weight afgan. (Not my review, though.)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5143505...ef=shop_review

I'm not doing anything fancy with it, just single stitch. It just takes longer than most afgans due to having to use a smaller sized hook and the weight of the yarn. Yeah, the yarn's expensive but this is for myself so I don't mind the price as much. It's not something I'd do for very many people due to the work and price involved. Even the wool yarn I'm using for the afgan for my friend's mother is less expensive. It will also go faster. I think I also have some skeins left over from previous projects in my stash that I may use for another afgan for myself. I really enjoy the colors but I think they're no longer available. That's sad since the colors were so pretty, especially together.
    that is beautiful yarn! I can see it taking a while with single stitch. I haven't done an afghan with that because I am not patient enough lol dlbe is the smallest I go.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, glad to hear you guys are having a good time and most of your changes worked out. The salt free seasonings I use most are Penzey's Mural of Flavor and their Sunny Paris. I also like Fox Point but it has salt. I go through a ton of Sunny Paris because I use it in my eggs almost every morning. You probably do not have a store near you, but you can mail order. It may not be worth it for one jar, but if you get on their mailing list ** they have deals and free shipping frequently. Lately they have been doing things like offering selected seasonings for $2, with a free jar of something else if you spend $5. So if you play it right you spend ~$6 and get ~$20 in product.

** The email they send out is a political rant. I usually ignore it unless something I want is on sale. If that is a trigger for you, it might be best to avoid them.

Anyway, the big BIG quilt show is in town this weekend. I went with a friend today and we had a good time. There were a lot of quilts on display:

2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_112842340.jpg
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_112740058.jpg

I liked this scrappy one but would never attempt that many triangles.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_112905665.jpg

There was some beautiful applique.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_113256835.jpg

SD, did you ever finish your Lone Star?
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_121651038.jpg
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There was fabric for sale:

2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_123336083.jpg

Jellybeans for snacking,

2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_123440430.jpg

Vendors galore,

2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_123453767.jpg

And vintage quilts for sale:

2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_123607731.jpg
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Even more fabric, and books,

2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_123731316.jpg

Quilts everywhere,

2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_123951350.jpg

Sewing machines to play with,

2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_124431478_burst000_cover_top.jpg

Even yarn for sale!

2019 Stash Management-img_20190613_125622513.jpg

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, I would have gone into some sort of trance at that quilt show.
    I got around to shortening another T-shirt of mom's. It's a Jantzen with a nice beach-type applique. I chopped it off a bit too short. So I'll try wearing it a couple of times. If I decide to trash it I won't feel too bad, it has some light spotting. If I keep it I may try bleach. I'm also mending 2 pairs of silk glove liners, might get a few more winters from them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow that is an awesome show! love the pictures. beautiful ! was stinking hot the last couple of days so didn't do much. lunch w friends, grocery shopping. visiting w people. just a bit of housework. finished the hat in black lionbrand homespun. started another out of a caron cake that is all blackberry tones. window air conditioners are in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow. Beautiful stuff at the quilt show, CH. Makes me want to touch them, even just looking at the pictures. Then again, I tend to be very tactile when dealing with crafts like quilting or crocheting or even just yarn.

Martha, you're not the first person who said the same about working on a fingerweight afgan. If I was just focusing on the afgan and nothing else, I might lose patience. But I work on it while watching TV.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - I love that scrappy quilt you showcased. The colors are beautiful. How did you get out without packing your car with fabric? A show like that would make me want to make everything at once (my problem with cross stitch).

As I have considered it, I think the Quaker style cross stitch really will be best to work on in conjunction with the crochet. If I were doing a regular picture it would be harder to switch away from. It won’t take long to finish the little sheep kit, and then I will put back the second small kit I had taken out. I will have two Quaker projects I can alternate. I will start the Christmas one - just because - when the fabric comes, probably next week. The pattern should be here tomorrow. That will be dark thread on light. I’m sure none of you remember but last year I started one with lots of little stylized flowers that I’m doing with usual flower colors on a dark charcoal gray. I would also like work now and then on the large blackwork piece I started.

When I was organizing the embellishments stash, I stole all the floss bobbin boxes. It is so easy to use in those that the floss can’t have them back, but if it’s back to cross stitch I really have to get the floss in order again. I checked at JA but the online store check said there none in stock. Amazon had them for essentially the same price as JA with a coupon so I ordered some from there late yesterday morning. They must have been in a nearby warehouse because they are out for delivery today. That’s a record. Tonight I’ll get that chore done.

I got the first banana berry scarf done yesterday. My goal is to do at least one a day, at least most of the time and for now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    Wow. Beautiful stuff at the quilt show, CH. Makes me want to touch them, even just looking at the pictures. Then again, I tend to be very tactile when dealing with crafts like quilting or crocheting or even just yarn.

Martha, you're not the first person who said the same about working on a fingerweight afgan. If I was just focusing on the afgan and nothing else, I might lose patience. But I work on it while watching TV.
    I always watch tv or something like that when crocheting. unless it something tricky I am learning. I have to touch yarn too ..have bought yarn just because it is squishy. I made a cowl out of moss stitch in mandala griffin but it will be a long time I do that again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should go downstairs and sort out craft stuff since the door got moved away from the drawers. they are from a friends closet. don't know why they didn't want them wooden like a bookcase but open drawers of different depths so use them to store my different craft stuff that doesn't need its own closet. need to do a declutter of scrapbook stuff. plus plan to make a tub of each of the kids stuff and label. old school stuff etc. teachers made books of the year of their projects field trips etc for each student which was great. but now most of it is in separate tubs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, the offerings at the show were very tempting. I could have come home with several of those fabric bundles in that picture, and I did fondle some. There was so much gorgeous fabric, fun patterns, trinkets, etc. After a while it just got mind-numbing, we didn't go into a lot of the booths because of the crowds. Everything was full price though, $12-14 a yard. I just could not bring myself to do it, especially knowing I would not use it for a year or more.

I was also shopping with an elderly friend who is, as they say, on a limited income. So I was very conscious of the difference in our budgets and trying not to be too profligate. We enjoyed looking, without spending much. I did get a few things, including a new cutter die for my machine. I thought about getting a 2nd one, but again it would be something I wouldn't get to for a year or more.

2019 Stash Management-img_20190614_131248753.jpg

I bought a couple half yards of boring fabric, and some smaller pieces of retro prints for swapping. I'm not really into retro stuff, but the group I am in likes it, so it is accumulating. I also bought funky cotton socks. I saw them last year, went back and could not find the booth. They are not hand knit, but they kind of look like it, and since nobody is ever going to hand knit socks for me...

Now I need to get that and some other crap off my ironing board and get some sewing done. I've barely been in there at all this week.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH those quilts are beautiful.....so colorful....
    The bowl of jellybeans.....did they have a scoop? LOL.....I am a germ freak....just the thought of all those hands in the bowl gives me chills.....
    Wish I knew how to quilt but don't have the patience.....or the space....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - as I was looking at all your pictures I was thinking of how large the show was and all the walking. It made me remember all of your surgery and recovery. How are you now? All ok, I hope.

The 123 Stitch order came today, a day early. Yippee! Not that I can do anything with it until the fabric comes that hasn’t been shipped yet. It will probably go out today or tomorrow. They’re pretty quick. It comes from Utah if I remember. When I was getting fabric I worked from their fabric calculator and had not translated that into size beyond “big.” Looking at the pattern info the design size on 16 ct is 15x22. The pattern is done all in dark red, with the song titles in a thread called blue spruce. It’s a silk that I couldn’t afford even if I wanted too. I think mine is going to be prettier with a little more color. I’m going to change some of the songs. The one in the center in large block letters the eye goes to first is Let There Be Peace on Earth. I don’t even think that’s a Christmas song. A nod to the Quaker-ness of the motifs? I’ll have plenty of time before I get there to decide what to replace it with.

I really haven’t done anything today. I need to get busy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister knit socks for me and hubby. Let's say hubby won't ever wear his and I rarely wear them.
    The fingerless gloves she has made on the other hand --- let's say I keep all of the ones she made that I can find (mom's pair, dad's pair.) They are so much nicer than the ones I make for the dog club people which are functional but basic.