2019 Stash Management - Page 75
Page 75 of 194 FirstFirst ... 25657273747576777885125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    That sewing bag would be perfect for traveling with, what a great find. The A-liner pattern is cute too. Would make a good pot holder or table mat for the camper.

I'm getting nothing done this evening. Nothing as in cleaning the kitchen, feeding cats, building a fire, cooking dinner, etc. I did some cleaning up in the basement, told DH I was starting a bag for styrofoam. They don't recycle it here so it has to go in a trash bag. No, he says he wants to keep it and put it in his office window to block the light and heat. I told him we don't live in a trailer park, I'll get a thermal shade for his window. It's the same problem as the rest of the house, no air circulation. We have the fans on at each end of the house now.

Martha, my DH is like that, too. Throw it in a pile and ignore it for years. The garage and basement have been an issue since we got married 20 years ago.

Maybe later I'll tackle that mess in the sewing room. I'm sure half of it can be sorted into the trash.
    yes lol I just don't want to be blamed for it! dh was I was going to clean up my workshop and now I had to clean up that part. I am so ...like it didn't need to be done..you have to go though that part to workshop. said just don't put stuff back on the shelve like the dust collection system he doesn't want anymore ..put in yard. he is not happy restore for habitat for humanity didn't take it value village didn't but sally ann did which was a surprise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No table in the camper. I used to think I wanted fancy stuff in the campers, but it didn't take me long to get over it. We weed out more extraneous stuff every year. I've dithered for years about stuff like putting up wallpaper border because it's visual clutter that will make the camper seem smaller. I think I will do it though. Eventually. Maybe. But I think the Aliner blocks will look great covering the wire freezer baskets we keep food in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got the sheep finished despite frittering away two and a half hours last night when we lost power - for no apparent reason. It was over a large area so maybe an issue at the substation. At least it didn’t take long to get it back up and running. I’ll get the sheep trimmed and pressed and get a pic up soon.

Heavy rain today and then off and on through the week. Since the last rain we’ve had a couple of weeks of sun, so this is welcome. My shrubs, except the hawthorns, are growing like crazy. Neighbor and son got everything mowed by yesterday evening, so they will have a respite before it dries enough to start all over again.

Today is thread day. I’ll get all the floss in order again so I can find specific colors. The fabric for the Christmas pattern is due for delivery Tuesday, and I’ll order the missing Threadworx thread today. I’m skipping the 20 count fabric because that is just curiosity, not need. After I do the thread I’ll work on the tiny flowers pattern.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Making progress on the Aliner blocks.
    2019 Stash Management-20190616_105144_1560700518081.jpg
    I was going to do the applique by machine, but I think it would be easier to do a neat job by hand. The pieces are so tiny a machine stitch would pretty much cover the long narrow pieces, and it can be difficult to do perfectly straight lines and small curves by machine, too. The blocks are so small it wouldn't take long to do them. Still have to dig up some fabric for some of the pieces, but I should have something. Glad I bought fabric for the grass and sky. I really, really hated the stuff I had for the grass once I saw it again, and especially in comparison to what I bought.

As expected, the mattress I want is on sale today. We may make the 50 mile drive to get it. Wish we could have bought it Friday but there was nowhere in the truck or trailer to bring it home. If we go, I could pick up the stuff for the workaround and get the water transfer system done. That would be good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is so cute the little camper blocks!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got the quilt blocks laid out on the bed and started the final assembly. On lunch break now. Not sure how much more I will do today. Rapidly losing interest in the project and there are some photos I MUST take today in the sun while it lasts.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with M - cute block! Sorry about the hand sewing. I know it’s not your favorite thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found workable fabric for the remaining block pieces and got them all Wonder Undered. Instructions are somewhat lacking but I'm sure I'll figure it out okay. Still can't decide between hand or machine sewing. I like the look of machine applique better. In this case I think hand applique would actually be less work but I don't like the look as well.

I added a scrap of webbing over the spot on the new dog detangler where the webbing butts together. I melted that spot on the stove instead of hauling out the hot knife, and it left some sharp spots on the ends, so I sewed the scrap over the rough spots so it wouldn't scratch the paint. Which all took less time than finger typing the explanation. Here's a better pic of the device because I'm sure it makes no sense to anyone else with the bad pic I posted before.
    2019 Stash Management-20190616_130712_1560723407219.jpg

I also replaced the paper clip we used to keep the cable holder from slipping down the handrail. I used a little metal ring instead. Not sure that will work but worth a try. We absolutely love that little mod, too. I hope the tie-out mods are completely done now. I used an extension cord bag to coil up the cables for storage and it works perfectly. I think we got those free after rebate from Menards with good intentions to use them for cords, but I'm happy I came across one not in use just when we needed a good way to store the cables.

We didn't go get the mattress today. We'll wait till later in the week in case we think of other stuff we need. The mattress will be a project too, because it's too small for the platform. I'll just fill in with foam scraps. No way will I pay the cost of a custom mattress, and I'm not sure we will be able to get the undersize mattress in without a battle, much less something bigger. It shouldn't be a complicated job to make it fit once it's in.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, you probably don't need any more quilt projects, but I spotted this in the new Go cutter catalog. https://www.accuquilt.com/go-wild-in...t-pattern.html

The brown quilt is in 12 carefully labeled segments, ready to be assembled tomorrow at quilt club. I'll have a big floor to lay it out on. I don't think I will get my Cross in Star cut tonight. It's not due until the end of July anyway.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've seen similar patterns. I like that, but you're right, I already have at least 4 big quilt projects ready to go.

It keeps threatening to rain, so I can't get out the cabana to see where that project is. I can't remember where I left off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went a comic convention on Saturday. I think I prefer the steampunk cons/fairs more. Didn't see much that caught my interest beyond the possibility of getting either autographs or photo ops with some actors. In my opinion, the steampunk cons have more to do, with music and panels throughout the day(s).

Did get some work done on both the wool-blend and plain wool afgans yesterday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the Aliner block.

I finished the brown and dark red bird. I forgot to take a picture of it though. I have started on my next tiny doll. I have cut out the pattern pieces for it. I will start sewing little bits of it today. I will be able to get three of the small dolls for each piece of felt. I have four colors of felt that I think would work for skin tones. I have one that is a light tan, darker than what I am using now but still kind of light. There are two others that are more of a darker tan/light brown color.

I have looked a little bit more on doll reroots. (Changing the hair on a Barbie style doll.) It looks fairly doable. but I am thinking of playing around with different hair types on my felt dolls first. I have a thrift shop doll that is one of the old Malibu Barbie types. I think I had one from this line when I was young. They have blond hair and blue eyes but are very tanned. Think similar skin tone to some of the African American fashion dolls. I want to try giving her dark(er) hair. And then maybe play around with changing her eyes from blue to brown.

My husband keeps changing his mind about different places he would like to move when we retire. He is still on the whole "a city can change a lot in ten years" mentality. He can give concrete examples to back this up, but it is not really typical. He read somewhere that the cost of housing is rising in a couple of the spots I was looking at. I feel like even with the cost rising, they are still cheap compared to this area. But I don't know for sure how the trends will play out by the time we are ready to move.

My husband tossed out Austin as a possible place to live. He said that it had lots of stuff to do - true - and nice weather - highly debatable. We have a friend who is originally from Texas. He goes on about how cheap housing is in Texas compared to the DC area. However, some casual research shows that housing is on the higher side and rising in Austin (still not as bad as here) and that it is very much a sellers market. Traffic is also listed as being bad and allergies tend to be bad.

In the meantime I googled affordable cities in the US and decided to add Cincinnati to my list. It looks like there is lots of nice stuff there. It borders northern Kentucky so it is a little warmer than some places in the Midwest I have looked at. They have a couple of game conventions there. And they also have a "game library" where people can borrow games. So I think they have a pretty good game culture.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is the pattern I’m working on. https://www.123stitch.com/item/CM-De...attern/18-1477

I’m not using these colors and I’m working it on a dark charcoal gray.

I got very little done last night. I was making mistakes I wouldn’t have made the first week I ever cross stitched. Making a mistake, cutting it out, putting it back in the same way, cutting it out again. Making a dumb mistake on a little seven stitch leaf and making the same mistake on the other side of the flower. Skipping one row instead of two between petals. How hard is it to count to two? Putting the hoop down, picking it up with a quarter turn, making stitches cross the wrong direction. Fortunately I noticed that quickly and only had to take out a few stitches. Knots. Tangles. Deciding a color was too pale for contrast. Doing that again. And the winning entry that gave me the Dumb Trophy - staring at the pattern picture in bewilderment, unable to figure out where I was since the flowers didn’t seem to quite match up and finally realizing I was looking at it upside down. Never mind a senior moment. I had a senior evening. Surely today will be better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would love a steampunk con, I think. I love that style.

Kathy, it's really hard to know where to move. We keep changing our minds too. Although our trip to Bemidji last week convinced us that's not the place. I'm hoping we stay convinced, but there are no guarantees. The more time we spend in a town the easier it is to give yea or nay though.

Yikes, D, that's a lotta flowers! Your description of doing dumb things a newbie wouldn't do was us last week, only with a camper. It happens to all of us. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.

Today went better though. I was only going to go out and look to see how much work it would take to remove the countertop in the camper where I wanted to add a storage space. You can see in this pic how much empty space there is between the top of the cabinet door and the counter, 4 whole wasted inches and almost 2 ft square.
    2019 Stash Management-20190617_090315_1560794908805.jpg
    One thing led to another and before I knew it, I was in the middle of the rip and tear. As it turned out, I only had to remove the framing on the left side of the cabinet, and that came out in one chunk, no disassembly required. The counter came off with the removal of 4 screws. Easy. I removed the left framing and shortened it so the tops of those boards would be spaced correctly to support the new board that would form the new storage space, added an additional support in the middle, and reinstalled the whole frame. I also ripped and installed a wooden cleat on the right side to support the other side of the new board.
    2019 Stash Management-20190617_115530_1560795220273.jpg
    Next I cut 2" off the back edge of the counter and reattached that to the cabinet, not pictured. Then it was just a matter of cutting a scrap of OSB to form the new shelf, dropping that into place, adding screws to attach the board to the left side supports, and slapping on some shelf paper that probably won't stick.
    2019 Stash Management-20190617_122529_1560795859119.jpg
    After that, I moved in! This pic shows how the counter will flip open to access the new shelf. I will have to buy and install hinges and a magnetic catch yet, but that will only take a few minutes so I'm calling this one done.
    2019 Stash Management-20190617_122454_1560795955696.jpg
    In a trailer as small as ours, every bit of storage makes a difference. This ended up giving us a space 3.25" high by about 4 sf. Doesn't sound like much but gaining that in a small camper is HUGE. It took about 4 hrs and the new hardware should be less than $5, so it's a bargain upgrade besides. I've wanted this for several years now, and I can see it will be every bit as useful as I thought it would. All the stuff that's in the new shelf is from the new tote I just added under the bed, so now there's a lot more room for other stuff in there. Both are going to make the whole camper more efficient. Love it!

It really has been like Christmas lately, getting all these new little mods to play with. TA-DONE!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess the 2" piece I cut off the counter and reattached is in the pic after all. I had to cut the counter so the hinges will have a place to attach correctly and so there's a little space for the curtains to be when the lid is open.