2019 Stash Management - Page 8
Page 8 of 129 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858108 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2019 Stash Management-bustergranny.jpg

made this granny square cocoon out of two different mandala yarns. kitten got excited running around when I moved pillows to take a picture. I track my projects in ravelry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tomorrow my husband wants to go through some old costume stuff we have. It has been many years since we wore costumes to SF/fantasy conventions. We mostly go to game conventions now. Not as many people wear costumes to those.

My husband said I could probably make something with the fabric. So I may add significantly to my fabric stash.

We have decided to forgo a vacation this year except for maybe a day trip or two. My husband said we should be able to pay off our last two credit cards in a year if we do.

After that we can start putting more is savings or investments. We have retirement funds but we want to get some kind of savings that has interest but we can spend any time.

Well we do have money set aside for shutdowns, but it would be good to have more. We have about two and a half months worth. I thought that would be more than enough. But now I feel like it would be better to have even more.

And it would give us a little more freedom in retirement.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M - I like the granny square colors, but like the kitten even more. Having a cat again would be lovely, but I know it would be a really bad idea at this point in my life. I fantasize about it now and then but so far have always come to my senses before doing anything I would be bound to regret. I even culled my plant collection down to four, giving away the rest. So demanding - water me now! Lol. Not to mention that a little fertilizer costs a lot less than cat food, litter, and vet care.

Kathy - your DH is right. I don’t know what your costumes are like but they probably have some great fabric.

SD - I put caraway on my sandwich. Havarti grilled cheese sandwiches are the best!

I have one too many fabric color categories for the bookshelf, but I can just put that one in the cabinet. The mixed color prints and panels were staying in the cabinets anyway. I moved most of the rest of the cross stitch stuff into the bedroom where the yarn had been that got booted to the attic. I finished sorting ribbon but need to put it in better sized containers. Then other than a couple of plastic bags of small fabric scraps I found that are going to a pain to sort, I’m getting down to the odds and ends.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're back. We only went to Hibbing, which is a much easier trip than GR or Duluth. We hit GW there where I got 2 yards of DfG fabric for $3. I got 2 NIP one pound thread cones that may or may not work on my industrial machine, $2 each. Husby decided I needed a big bag of plastic canvas for $3, too.

I spent $152 at JA, and that was with stacked discounts on almost everything. Ouch. All the fabric was from the close out racks at 40% off, plus 25% more off at checkout, and I also bought all of all but 1 bolt, so got 10% more discounted. I also picked up 2 chunks of close out fabric for the Girls. They just caught my eye. I still have a ton of the five bolts left that I bought at GW, but it's all very dark, which is good, but I like to color code the shield pieces by using a dark and a bright dark so I can easily tell which is inside and outside. It makes a difference so the PUL faces the right way, and sewing takes more time if I don't code. I will still use all the GW fabric eventually, so it's all the same in the end. I got at least 8 yards today, so that will help a lot.

Here's what I got for the quilt.
    2019 Stash Management-20190112_164023_1547336752701.jpg
    The light blue with little leaves will be bear paws, the dark blue will be bear paws, the brown in the middle will be borders around paws and probably outside edges, the light blue will go around the other paws, and the tan leaves will be bg. These weren't my first choices but it's expensive enough as it is. I think it will look nice once it's made up. I hope. It's good to have it in the house now so I can get started when I feel like it. I bought extra of all the fabrics to build stash and instead of buying small pieces for the 9er.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is quite a hall SD. It looks like you got a lot for your money.

I am thinking of taking a break from fabric acquisition. I have enough fabric to make years of bears and other animals at the rate I see.

I may make an exception for cloth to embroider on. However, unlike cross stitch regular embroidery can be do on regular fabric. So I may be okay there.

My practice embroidery is on a felt sheet. It is currently hooped, but I read yesterday that felt is stiff enough to embroider without a hoop.

I may take a stab at embroidering a snow flake or two today. It snowed last night and more is coming down.

I window shopped some embroidery patterns on Urban Threads. The hand embroidery patterns look a lot like coloring pages. It occurs to me that I could just use coloring pages as hand embroidery patterns. I have not seen this mentioned on any embroidery sites I have been on. But I can't be the first person to think this. It seems pretty obvious. Maybe I will Google and see if other people are doing it.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    M - I like the granny square colors, but like the kitten even more. Having a cat again would be lovely, but I know it would be a really bad idea at this point in my life. I fantasize about it now and then but so far have always come to my senses before doing anything I would be bound to regret. I even culled my plant collection down to four, giving away the rest. So demanding - water me now! Lol. Not to mention that a little fertilizer costs a lot less than cat food, litter, and vet care.

Kathy - your DH is right. I don’t know what your costumes are like but they probably have some great fabric.

SD - I put caraway on my sandwich. Havarti grilled cheese sandwiches are the best!

I have one too many fabric color categories for the bookshelf, but I can just put that one in the cabinet. The mixed color prints and panels were staying in the cabinets anyway. I moved most of the rest of the cross stitch stuff into the bedroom where the yarn had been that got booted to the attic. I finished sorting ribbon but need to put it in better sized containers. Then other than a couple of plastic bags of small fabric scraps I found that are going to a pain to sort, I’m getting down to the odds and ends.
    yes they are work and money! my mom fosters senior cats now. figure that if he lives to be 20 we will be in our 70s so still works.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, I have considered using coloring patterns too, but right now I’m more interested in the crazy quilt type work that really doesn’t need a pattern. During the big stash build I found a fabric with zentangle squares. Im not sure how I would use them, but I’m sure I’ll think of something. Maybe just as stitch practice pieces.

I’m getting a really late start today. I woke with a headache but it’s getting better. At any rate I think the end is in sight. I need to gather up all the threads that are scattered here and there and finish sorting that. Then I think it’s mostly just decluttering. I made room in the bookcase for all the fabric I wanted to put there by evicting the embroidery hoops and frames that can go in a cubby bin and the crochet cotton that can move to the bedroom. I have room in the drawer unit where the cross stitch fabric lives now. Of the three cabinets, one is full of the mixed print fabric and panels, WIPS, and batting, interfacing, muslin and such. One has all the ribbon and other embellishment except beads and buttons, and the third will be all the threads. So happily it is all getting under control again.

As tired as I am of all that, what follows is worse. I have not done a lick of housework while I’ve been working on this, except for essential dishes and laundry. I think it would easier just to move out than to clean it, but I guess that’s not an option.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I got everything put away from yesterday, except the fabric that's still on the dryer. I ripped the hem out of the fabric from GW. I don't know why it was hemmed. It looks brand new, so it meets my requirement for QC.

I've used coloring books for embroidery patterns, years and years ago. I can't even recall what the project was now, but I remember I traced the pictures on typing paper and used an embroidery pencil to transfer them to fabric. The designs were of troll dolls, so I think it might have been for a quilt for one of the kids. Not sure it ever got finished. I just did a straight stitch outlining the design. I think I would be more creative these days.

I got fronts and backs joined on the baby gowns. My serger hates the lining fabric I'm using to back the lace on the fronts, so I ended up having to partially disassemble the serger to clean the crud out of the cutter. I sew, therefore I swear. I have to hem sleeves and then cut neck facings. My pinking shears don't like the lining fabric either, but I really can't use anything else. Such fun. But this run is moving right along and the dresses are starting to look like something, finally.

I had to do houseworky things today, too, D. I made more AF chicken and did dishes, so I can clean veggies today or tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had stopped feeding the birds. I had been spending too much on it and when the stash binge started something had to give. I chose me me me! The birds have a lot easier time making a living down here during the winter than in Minnesota. The neighbors had stored away my feeder shepherd hooks. However the next lot over neighbors gave me bird seed and suet cakes for Christmas, so when J brought a couple of the hooks back, he also took the containers I have cycled out up to the attic and got down a couple I need. With those I can completely finish getting everything stowed. The little girl put out seed but the suet cakes are buried somewhere under the two foot pile on the table so will have to await further excavation. I’m really glad the attic switch is done. I hate having little loose ends that I can’t finish when I’m ready to.

Instead of starting with making some quilt blocks to work with, I think this week I may play around with dying the lace so I can have some with all my colored embellishments. I have fabric markers, a set of tie dye tee shirt dyes I’ve had a for a long time, and since none of this will be used on projects that need to be washed, I might also see what my water colors would do. I also have some paint pens that are supposed to work on metal and I want to see if they will work to add color to some of the charms. That may be a monumental failure, but I want to try.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, your project is beautiful. Lapgans are definitely quicker than full sized afgans but hopefully your mother will get a lot of use out of the capelet. I haven't made as many lapgans in the past couple of years since my mother died. Most of the people I make things for prefer the full sized afgans. Most of them are larpers so the full sized acrylic afgans are useful during events, even if it's just as a top layer over a sleeping bag or as a hanging from the side of the bed (the bunks are in large cabins with ~15-20 bunk-beds). I usually keep one lapgan project in the car for when I have to wait for something but I haven't really gone out to places where I need to do that as much.

Finished skein #7 and started skein #8 on the wool afgan. Definitely will need at least one of the skeins I bought recently. I bought two skeins a few weeks back, thinking I'd need them and still have part of a third from the first wool afgan. Once I finish skein #8, I'll see if I'll need the full skein or just the partial one (or both). It was nice to have the wool on my legs over the weekend with the temps in the 20*'s in the evening. I will probably pull out the down comforter soon if the temps stay this cold.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Progress! I maybe could have finished last night but I got tired and just quit. I got all the floss and such sorted, put some things away, and best of all, was able to remove the temporary table that has been so much in the way. Now it’s mostly just a letter of deciding where to put extra containers, shelving some books, and general clean up. After that a start on the kitchen. That may be scary - lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope everyone is ok with the snow. CH? Kathy? I don’t know where some of the rest of you live. As for SD - Minnesota always has snow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The snow pretty much missed my area over the weekend. We only got what my local meteorologist called "conversational" snow (aka a dusting). I had been worried because I had the open hearth cooking class on Saturday. But the snow fell overnight on Saturday into Sunday. The class was fun. I always like trying new recipes and getting to know more people interested in the same hobbies I am. We made beef, duck, an apple pie and what was called Carolina 'snowballs' (essentially apples covered in white rice). The apple pie was a bit different as it didn't have a bottom crust (just the top crust) but we forgot to make the syrup and custard earlier. We were able to get the custard into the pie, although it wasn't as thick as expected. We didn't get the syrup (which ended up more like thin applesauce) in the pie itself but we put it on the other dishes. All in all, a very tasty meal. My sweater and coat still smell like woodsmoke, though. Not that I mind that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We got a good bit of snow here. But since I don't have to go anywhere because of the shutdown it is not a big deal. Well I took out trash a couple hours ago. It got a few degrees above freezing in the afternoon so it was not icy. There has been a tiny bit of melting.

I finished my first embroidery snowflake. It turned out laughably bad. I do not have the proper materials to transfer an embroidery pattern to fabric so I just kind of eyeballed it. It might work for some things like flowers but snowflakes are supposed to be symmetrical. Mine is not even close.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No two snowflakes are ever alike. Yours is just a true individualist!

I think UPS is having a post holiday nervous breakdown. About a week or 10 days ago I was told a couple of packages were undeliverable because of an incorrect address. I had a conference call with Amazon (amazing customer service) and UPS. I assured them the address was correct and they delivered here all the time. No. It isn’t a new address. They tried again and the packages arrived a couple of days later. Today I have a post card telling me they are holding them to be picked up. They sent the postcard to the address they said was incorrect and undeliverable. I’ll forgive them this eccentricity. It’s astonishing that they deliver millions and millions of packages quickly and without a glitch.

Page 8 of 129 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858108 ... LastLast