2019 Stash Management - Page 82
Page 82 of 118 FirstFirst ... 32727980818283848592 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1763
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today was the renewal date for my audible membership. 24 shiny new credits. I immediately blew through 7 of them. They’re having a non fiction sale. Most sales have some, but this is devoted to it. It’s a two for one credit sale, so I got 14 books. Mostly history and some of them are very long, so I have tons of new stuff to listen to. It was good timing on the renewal. The science choices were good but I already have most of the ones I was interested in. I did get a Great Courses earth science lectures. I have some things I haven’t listened to yet and some things in my wish list to spell off all the history.

I did some of the housework, enough to ease my conscience, and then mostly cross stitched.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Martha, those look like great yarn colors. I would love a fabric assortment like that. Now, for those of us who don't knit, are those rolls all one piece of yarn, or is each color a separate length? I think that blue and grey pair in the lower left is a real interesting combo.

The bites have mostly stopped itching, and the swelling is down, but the big red bruises remain. Several are over an inch wide. Only a few blistered. Must have been mostly young chiggers. The more mature ones bite bigger holes.

I went searching for, and found, my 7" zippers. One dusty blue and one army green. Hmn. Need to find some brighter colors.

Finished the postcards and put all the paper stuff away. Don't know where the afternoon went, didn't get any sewing started.

OK, SD, I missed the joke. Why are you raking your forest?
    wow those chiggers sound horrible! started typing but cat wanted head scratching. yes the yarn is one long piece normally. each colour is about 7 colours they show on label. of course there are ones that are knotted together or missing colours. they dye them all together. it always takes a long time to get to canada. actually first ones I got were on vacation in Florida and even then they were limited in stores. now at least can get online the older stuff. though they are lionbrand on their website they are 7.99 us. but they sell in walmart for 4.97 us. and of course hit and miss finding colours. so only if a really good sale is it worth it to buy straight from the lionbrand website. some people weave with it and it looks so beautiful

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    CH - I take it back. That is indeed an aggressive response. Iím glad itís getting better. I like all the fabrics together except one you started with - the one printed like quilt blocks. The color is ok, but to me it sticks out because it has such definite sharp lines and none of the others do. I think removing the big dots was a good idea.

M - those are scrumptious yarn cakes. (CH- continuous color).

Iíve started the smaller Christmas pattern today. It is such a relief to be working on White after that dark gray. I had these pics last night and did everything except, apparently, click post reply.

The first is the second hexagon. It has less embroidery and more just stuff because I didnít like it and just wanted to be finished with it. The fabric also waved. I have pathetic sewing skills. I still have to do the finishing, back and edging. That will help it when all that surrounding fabric is gone. At least, thatís what I tell myself.

Then the little sheep and the flowers. Thatís the full width done on that one, but the pattern is square so I have a long way to go. It is very slow because of all the color changing.

Attachment 49055
    Attachment 49057Attachment 49059
    I love them all! I think you are talented.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

*facepalm*

Some days. I spent most of the morning rounding up items to make a pass through on the front panel of the AAR. I built one into the previous AAR and it got used a lot. It's just a short zipper next to the long entry zipper, used when someone is outside the room and someone inside, like when the grill or Dutch ovens are in use. Inevitably, the cook forgets something or needs a beer or some other necessity. The pass through is unzipped so an item can be transferred through the screen room wall without having to open the entire wall, which dogs then think they need to escape through. It works great for all involved and I know we would miss it if we didn't have it. So I get all the stuff together and sew the new little panel with the zipper in. Fetch the front panel from the AAR. Open it up to figure out where the new zipper should go. And find myself staring directly at a pass through already installed. Gaaaahhhhh.

I have zero memory of doing that mod. The only 2 consolations are (1) I don't have to actually install the new zipper and (2) I did a pretty nice job on the first one. 🙂

It turns out I did actually modify the AAR whenever I worked on it several years ago. Don't exactly recall that, either. But it does explain why the side rafters looked so much better than I remembered when we set it up the other day. Luckily I can still attach the ends in the new way I want to now.

Still feeling stupid, but moving on. I made a tube of nylon about 7' long and 1" wide. I made similar tabs on the last AARs to clip extension cords, tacky lights, and damp towels to. Something else we would miss if we didn't have them. The new AAR has long tabs on the sides, but not the front. Go figure. So I'm adding that.

BTW, I was reading through the AAR manual and found this: "WARNING! TO REDUCE THE RISK OF DEATH... Do not modify or change the installation of this Cabana Lightweight RV Dome Awning." Too late! Methinks Dometic's legal team was working overtime when they wrote that. The Message of Doom also warns not to hang tacky lights from the room. Too bad I already forgot that warning. Oops. 😁

Husby has been talking about buying a new cassette player for the garage. Cassettes. Ugh. Yesterday he brought up buying an entire all in one stereo system, complete with turntable. Seriously, why? The next time he was in front of the TV, I scrolled through all the music channels we're already paying for but don't use on Dish. I think he might have given up the stereo idea, now that he's discovered Country Gold channel on Dish. And 60s Rock. So now he's out in the garage, pulling TV cable so he can get the $3 TV we bought for the garage hooked up out there. Wish I had figured out how to motivate him a couple years ago!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m ready to start stitching. Since I couldn’t find my needles I just gave up and ordered a bulk pack on eBay that came yesterday. I’ll find my stock eventually but you can never have too many needles. I like to thread a bunch at once and then I can just go without stopping all the time to thread them. Sadly that doesn’t work for the little flowers.

I had a bad thread experience yesterday. Doing candy canes, the white rubbing against the red turned it light pink. It wasn’t too noticeable on the first, but really is on the second. I still haven’t decided whether I will cut them out and re-do them, or just let it be and do the others the same way. It’s rare to have that happen with DMC. If I put in the white first, it should be ok. But do I want to do that?? Not really, but I should. Sigh. Might as well do it and get it over with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is a pretty quilt ch. not doing much.. rearranged and put away the yarn w the others. neat and tidy makes it look I have less lol need to crochet faster! take some aleve more. ugh taking the pill to help my period had the opposite effect. now stretched for days longer worse. so that has been my last few days. trying to just not too much ..still want my week off lol kids off now basically. kids and I need dental appts, we have eye appts next week. haircuts today I think. of course housework etc. have been chatting online a lot which is nice. finished one more hat. think I get 2 and a half kitty kat hats from one caron cake. blackberry mousse is this one. my friend wanted one in this colour since I was making them. I had made her a poncho from it. she wants a slouchy hat but told her she has to wait until I decide to learn it. 2019 Stash Management-blackkathat.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Here's another photo, taken in better light, with the green mat cropped off.

Attachment 49061

I remembered last night that I had the blue paisley for another project.

The two peach fabrics don't look that orange to my eyes, but the camera keeps picking it up. I agree they stick out more than others. Given that I've been warned not to make the donation quilts "too pretty" or they'll get stolen, I think they'll stay for now. Anyway, it's not a priority project, so it's getting shelved.

Ren, a nap and some writing sounds like a great Sunday.

SD, sorry you and DC are getting the remains of the rain we had over the weekend. We have set a record for rainiest spring ever recorded in this area.

DC, that red hex is so pretty! And I wondered how green sheep were going to look. They are cute. Your stitching is beautiful.
    I am not great with putting colours together ..why I love the cake yarns. to me the pink paisley is not doing it and the burgundy one w big flowers doesn't seem to fit. but depends on the patterns etc. I used to try to quilt..take classes etc but colour matching was my problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The 7' tab is done on the AAR. No aggravation there, since it went in with no trouble. I'm sure we will use it. I'm not sure what we still have for tacky lights or where they are. We used to have a ridiculously large collection, even for owning 2 campers at the same time. I mowed through those years ago though, and sold most of them. I know I still have the vintage M&M lights and the fancy brass ones shaped like lanterns with cutouts of bears and moose. We only use an AAR and tackies when we stay in the same place a few days. Not worth it for overnights. But we will probably be doing more trips where we want a room, and it will be fun to have our tackies again.

I got the main part of the room done as far as I can without setting it up again. Tomorrow I will start on the skirt. While I was looking for stuff for the unneeded pass through, I found 2 zippers I think will work on the skirt, so that helps. I have a pail full of nylon fabric, all the same, from the AAR in progress from the moho, so I'm hoping I will be able to use that up for the Aliner skirt. I think I will have to piece it a lot, since the moho had low clearance and the Aliner is a lifted off road model. But I'm okay with piecing. Hope I can get it as far along as possible tomorrow. I'm already ready to move on to other projects, so need to get this room usable.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like everyone is having a busy day. I'm still itchy (and will be the rest of the week at least) but some of the spots are starting to fade. I was able to put jeans on today to go out.

I'll spare you all the details but I did a lot of driving around looking for stuff I needed. Found most of it at JA. Was behind the most indecisive customer I have ever seen in there. Cart full of fabric and didn't know what she wanted, and kept running back to the fabric aisle for stuff. They only had one clerk cutting. On the plus side, I was able to help a pair of ladies who were buying fabric for a baby quilt -- that grandma was going to sew-- and they did not know what they needed to get. My first world problem today was waiting 18 minutes for an iced coffee... only to be handed a hot one. Sigh. Kids gotta get their first job somewhere, so I didn't complain, just asked for the correct one. They'll learn eventually. Then I dropped it on the stairs coming home because DH's crap behind the door caused it to swing back into my face. Argh!

DC, I have had red thread bleed or transfer color before. Have you ever tried using hot water to remove excess dye?

M, those hats look great. Nice and warm. Coincidentally they are the same colors as the summer quilt we put on the bed last night. Dark blue, purple, and raspberry.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had red thread fade and it washed out, but that's risky to try. I used cool water, I think. That was a long time ago so I don't recall the details.

Sorry about your coffee, CH. Have you tried that Benedril salve for the bug bites? Doc recently suggested that for me for a particularly nasty one. The salve is OTC and any pharmacy should have it. I got the generic version and it did help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aloe vera gel works really well for mosquito bites. I have a big bottle and use it liberally when needed.
    I shortened a dressy blouse that was too small at the hips. It's probably 30 years old, classic style and pattern. That was a quick job. Several more clothing fix projects in the queue.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

All I remember is that for red quilting thread, if you did not want it to bleed/crock into your white fabric, it was suggested that you put the entire spool in hot water to wash out the excess dye. There are also some products that will remove excess dye from fabric, but that might be overkill for embroidery thread.

Thanks SD, but I have two prescription strength creams that are working pretty well. Benadryl just makes me disoriented.

I'm very happy with the sequin fabric I bought today at JA. Half a yard of tiny gold sequinned fabric (they're ~1/8") normally $19 per yard, and with it being on sale and a remnant I paid $2.73 for the piece. It will make lots of costume-y goodness and maybe a purse or coin pouch or two. I had to put it in a bag, though, it is shedding sequins all over the place.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions for the thread. I decided the first candy cane was ok, but redid the second one. The only other Dmc thread I’ve had that problem with is the dark 550 purple. Get it in the right place because it will stain the cloth beneath it. Lesson learned the hard way long ago. Since none of these are projects that will be washed I don’t really worry about it.

I’ve tried lots of brands of needles but they get mixed up and I never know which I’m using. When I ordered the bulk needles I had two choices - John James or Bohin. Hmmm. I went back to 123 Stitch reviews, very good for both brands, but decided the comments on the JJ needles sounded more like the ones I really like. I guessed right! I need to write that down somewhere. More and more it seems like I need a supplemental paper brain.

I need to spend some time today putting together a big grocery list. It’s time for another massive cookathon. There are also really good prices on cherries and grapes so I’ll get some bags of those for for the freezer. Once I start all the kitchen work I’ll go back to the scarves. I’ll probably be too tired to count at the end of the day - lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tend to be super conservative when matching colors together. Generally along the lines of blue goes with blue. Looking at my stuffed bears on display, I have:

Blue and white pattern with blue and white pattern
    green and brown pattern with brown
    green with green
    pink with white
    white and pink pattern with pink
    black and pink pattern with white and pink pattern - the pinks are the same flowers on both fabrics

This weekend I finished a little felt doll. I may add a tiny bit more thread for the hair though. It is thick in the back, but the head has a few thin spots. I used the cheap pearl cotton for the hair. The spools are only 5 grams and I have used most of it up. It is a yellow and brown variegated. I think it the future I will try some yarn that is more light and fluffy. I am still experimenting around with the doll hair.

I have yet to make clothes for her. I will post after she has something to wear. I feel funny posting a picture of her naked. The body is not terribly realist so it should not matter. I have actually seen some people post naked dolls with censorship panels though. Generally for dolls with fairly realistic bodies.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, the doll sounds like fun. I was looking at doll patterns at the shop yesterday. Like I don't have enough unfinished dolls. There were some nice small cloth patterns, but I left them there for another day.

Conservative is not a bad thing. It is always in style and always looks good.

Today is just zipping by. I potted some seedlings that got big enough to move, basil, thai basil, parsley and a succulent. Put in some red marigold seed I saved from last year. So far none of the saved seed has germinated. I had 3-4 kinds from different plants. Sigh.

Working on a little purse. Very conservative colors for the first one, navy blue with flowers for the outside, dusty teal for the lining, navy for the pocket and strap. I had to start by tracing the pattern onto tissue and then cutting interfacing, and that took a while. Had to fortify myself with tea before taking the big step of cutting the actual fabrics.

Use it up, Wear it out,