2019 Stash Management - Page 9
Page 9 of 194 FirstFirst ... 67891011121959109 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got about 6" of snow but most of the roads and paths seem to be plowed enough for me to go to work on Tuesday. I worked from home and got a lot done. Baking a pumpkin pie later. No crafting going on as we have gotten busy at work already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The storm you guys got went south of us. East of us got some lake effect snow thanks to an easterly flow off Superior, something that delighted our weather guy since it doesn't happen often. We had our storm a week or so ago.

I hope CH is okay. I think her area got hit hard.

Sorry you're still going through this stupid pointless shutdown, Kathy. At least Congress passed the bill to give you your back pay. The whole thing enrages me.

I'm still soothing my aggravation with sewing. Today wasn't fun though. I dragged out the first baby gown I started, before I found appropriate patterns online. It's been hanging around since then so I figured I could just as well finish it and get rid of it. So I had to go searching for the lace to match what I had started and cut new pieces to try and get problems corrected. No fun. But it's done and I hate it.

I also finished another gown that required special handling since I cut too close to the lace on the front. That's done except for a couple little things.

Then I sorted through the big pile of scraps and cut most of those into bonnets and neck facings as I could. And I guess I need to fish what I threw away out of the trash, because I forgot I need to cut out pieces for bow ties, too. Too many irons in the fire on this project. At any rate, it's more progress than it sounds like, considering how much time the one gown took.

I pressed a couple of the pieces I got for DfG, too, so they were flatter to fit into their overstuffed tote. I ended up not buying any fabric for the 9er because I will have extra from the bear quilt. I forgot about all the squares I will get when I start cutting DfG shields. That should add to the 2.5" stash nicely, too.

I tried topstitching the neckline of one of the gowns without pressing it today. Don't know why I thought I had to press. I never used to press anything. I'm really good at rolling seams! 😁 It went well without pressing so that will speed things up.

This is turning into a much bigger project than anticipated, but I like working on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for all your inspiration!! Thanks to reading this thread I spent a couple of hours yesterday organizing my fabric in the closet (its all in tubs) and asked DH to make me cubbies to store my fabric in. I asked for it to be 3 high (light, med, dark shades) and 7 cubes wide. I'm not sure how soon it will happen but I'm excited about it!! I also have plans of putting a sewing table up in our bedroom....but DH doesn't know about that yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LL - the cubbies sound like a good idea for the fabric storage. I’ve never used mine that way since I have so much other stuff.

Today I have - drumroll - shelved four books and moved the big pop up hamper full of yarn balls about 6’ to the side. I’ve hit a wall and just can’t make myself do anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fabric on shelves has never worked well for me. It's always a mess when I pull stuff out. I do have some stuff on shelves in the sewing room closet, mostly remnants of bulky stuff that's too small to put on hangers. Gotta make the best use of space.

LL, I will await the cubby pics. 🙂

I made my first little bow tie just now. I like it, and I'm happy I don't have to buy ribbon to make them. I think I will be able to make lots of them just from scraps. 2019 Stash Management-20190114_201107_1547518303780.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That looks good SD. It is certainly a worthy project.

I just realized while ago that tomorrow is about the last day I can get groceries before the mailed targeted coupons expire. I need to meet LG at the school bus Wed - Fri so I can’t risk not getting back. Her family, mom uncle and cousins, have varying work schedules and children have to be 12 to be dropped off without an adult to meet them. I could go on the weekend, but I leave that for all the folks who work Mon - Fri. I really wanted to use those coupons since they’re for stuff I use all the time. Long story, but just when I was actually gearing up to work I had to stop and figure out a grocery list. It’s going to take some creative packing to get it in the freezer. Looks like it’s time to seriously go through the freezer, see if there are any surprises, and get it in order. There goes a chunk of tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is the longest I have been without working full time in 20 years. I have never taken a vacation longer than two weeks. It just feels a bit surreal.

In some ways it is relaxing. I try not to think about the money stuff to much. We have enough for at least two months maybe more. This should be more than enough. But sometimes I wonder if it will be enough.

Other people are having a much harder time than me.

But my husband and I have talked a bit about finances and savings which will be good in the long run.

I am happy that I have lots of things to do, but nothing I have to do. It is a nice combination.

I am trying to attach a picture of my lopsided snowflake. The lighter part of the fabric is just a quirk of the flash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190114_182330146_1547559983169.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice snowflake, Kathy. Has character.

I'm at the point in my wool afgan project where I'm debating putting it aside to work on something else (something for myself) and pushing on to finish the afgan. I'm going to finish it because it's for someone else and I want to get it to them sooner rather than later, with winter temps really settling in. Besides, it's the one I know is long enough to cover my legs to keep off the chill in the evenings. I have forced hot air for heat so I'm dealing with a bit of a wind chill due to how strong the heater blows the air. That and I tend to keep my apartment on the cool side to keep the electric bill down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Blah... double post

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was going to work in the kitchen today but I somehow managed to get all the frozen stuff crammed in the freezer, so I’m going to stick with the living room tonight and defer the kitchen until tomorrow.

They were out of one of the things I had the mailed coupons for, but I still saved 10.40 using them. That was enough to make the grocery run today instead of next week worthwhile. I am not even going to look at the ad that came today. No more grocery shopping for awhile.

I WILL get the living room finished tonight. I will.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad you're more or less at peace with the furlough, Kathy. I follow a group of women NP rangers on Twitter. Some of them are in dire straits. They don't make much to begin with so don't have extra to tide them over. I'm sure they're not the only ones.

I like the snowflake.

I got 5 gowns done and 7 little bow ties ready to assemble. I also outlined a heart with beads and sequins on one of the gowns. It has a stain on it that won't come out, so I covered it up. I cut out another another front to go with the extra set of backs, so added another gown to the run. I'm doing them in small batches now, by size. Each size uses different lengths of ribbons, and I don't want to get them mixed up.

Crafts are starting up again tonight, but we got freezing rain again this AM (@!?*%#& climate change) so roads are slick. It's snowing now with wind, so staying home by the fire sounds good to me. Maybe I'll keep working through the learning curve on the bow ties.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Getting close to finishing skein #8 on the wool afgan. I think I'll finish this skein by the end of the week. Definitely looking like I'll probably need the two skeins I bought a couple weeks back. It's been up in the air a bit as to whether I'd need one, both, or neither for a while. I'll probably stay in most of the weekend with the temps dropping so quickly on Sunday.

The temps are forecast to drop from ~47* to ~25* during the day on Sunday then down to ~4* to 7* over night. I'm glad I pulled out my down comforter from storage last year. I'm going to need it.

I have a couple of WIP to choose from once I finish the wool afgan. The blue acrylic afgan is the longest one so I may do that with the temps so cold. I would like to get back to the wool-blend afgan I'm making for myself but I know that's barely to my lap at this point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I WILL finish it? I didn’t. I’m beginning to think I never will. However I did make progress (and worked a lot of word puzzles, presumably so I wouldn’t have to make more). I did get one fiddly job out of the way. During the binge I went through my books looking at supply lists to see what needles and sizes they recommended. Last night I got all the needles out, some new from the binge and some I had already, transferred them to tubes and labeled them. That took longer than I expected but it’s done except for moving some of the tapestry needles from the cross stitch supply to the embroidery supply. I’ve designated a sewing basket as embroidery supply central.

I can actually see bits of surface on the big work table that has been piled so high. That’s a definite improvement. The excavation is turning up other stuff too. I doubt you remember when I got that huge lot of Kreinik bits on eBay. There were other threads included in the lot and novelty yarns. I found all of those extras last night so I need to get that into the thread and embellishment boxes. I’m also finding random sewing stuff and that’s all going into a catch all box for the sewing cart. I’ll sort it out when I start sewing again. Right now I just want it all together in its final location. Other than that it’s just all the bits of flotsam that go here there and everywhere. I really must get that all stowed today.

I just heard from my friend in Maryland that they expected 4-8” of snow and got 12”. Life is full of surprises.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

sorry I have been MIA for a bit. I was finally able to switch laptops and finally got all my stuff switched over. We did get snow. over 10 inches and thank goodness my dh got laid off last job site. It was for a gov't contract that, Yup, and involved in the gov't shut down. He is still working a gov't contract but not in that area any more. I have finished the pattern drafting and have a mock up done in muslint for the bride to try on to see if it will work for her. did get a baby bib cut out and started stitching on it for one of my grands, I too went on a fabric buying binge. ( ouch) I try to get enough flannel to make up receiving blankets ahead so that they are ready to go at the need. I got a whole bolt of a cute monkey on a gray background that just fits the bill perfectly. so I will cut those out and have them ready to go when I need them. still need to finish the take in on the dress for the bride. and I did start the new piano student today. He was so excited. He kept wanting to run tell him mom this or that. It was quite funny. We did get enough snow that our church services were cancelled last week I am watching the weather to see what we will get hit with this week.I read and think you guys are awesome with your projects and creativity and thank you for that boost of encouragement. Keep it up and have a wonderful day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D and Knotme, you guys have a lot going on! Makes me tired to read it all.

So cute about the new piano student.

D, it sounds like you're getting a lot done. It just takes so long to make a dent when it's small stuff.

I got 6 more gowns sewed. Ten to go, then they all need to be pressed and some will need little embellishments added like a bow tie or a rosette. Then on to the bonnets. I saved the detachable train from the giant gown I have been working with, because it has smaller lace motifs which I hope will work for bonnets.

Buckle up, everyone. I was reading this AM about the polar vortex breaking into 3 in the upper atmosphere. Those of us east of the Rockies are in for lots of severe winter weather for at least the next 8 weeks, according to that forecast. For us that means colder than normal temps and more snow. East coast and south are supposed to get more storms. Oh, joy. According to the article, the same thing happened last year and was the reason our winter lasted so long. Let's hope they're wrong about this year.

Page 9 of 194 FirstFirst ... 67891011121959109 ... LastLast