2019 Stash Management - Page 92
Page 92 of 175 FirstFirst ... 428289909192939495102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 2620
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I looked through the JA flyer when it came but I don’t need a single thing. Not one thing. Period. Happy shopping to the rest of you!

I got a good bit done on the flowers last night. When I moved to start at the bottom of the next pattern page I was back to a normal section of the fabric without the wandering threads, or only an occasional one. That really speeded it up. I’ll get a progress pic soon.

The magnifier is out for delivery so I will see how it goes. The real test won’t be until I hit another iffy patch on the fabric.

If the European projection is right for that storm edging into the Gulf, we will be afloat before long. It’s still way too early to dig out the rowboats, but it definitely bears watching. Moderate rain would be welcome.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I looked through the JA flyer when it came but I don’t need a single thing. Not one thing. Period. Happy shopping to the rest of you!

If the European projection is right for that storm edging into the Gulf, we will be afloat before long. It’s still way too early to dig out the rowboats, but it definitely bears watching. Moderate rain would be welcome.
    There's nothing I need from JA, either, but it's hard to resist a good bargain.

Hard to tell with that storm at the moment. They say it could blow up and track north to KC but our local weatherman isn't buying it. I suspect it's going to roll around in the gulf area an rain out.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - go on and shop. At least you use up a lot of fabric and a quilting stash can never be too diverse. The only thing I might need, or at least could get with a clear conscience, is to replenish a few DMC floss colors. Definitely not worth a long trip to town.

I agree about the Gulf storm. It will doubtless wander around a bit while it decides where it wants to go. I would like an inch or two of rain. Five or six inches would be overkill.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, I'm planning to stop by on Friday after a Dr appt. I'm going to be out anyway, so why not. SD, I don't know if there's a lot from JA you'd want this week. They have the usual yarn and home dec, but no other especially good sales. Spring and summer decor is 70% off and I wish they'd get rid of it already. Of course they are moving in fall and christmas in its place. There's a coupon for fleece and one for foam, but I didn't think you needed more foam. No FQ sale, only 25-30% fabrics. It's just that remnant markdown that has me excited.

I went through my stash last night and didn't find a good purple to use. I have a lot of lilac and lavender, and stuff that is way too dark or too red. So I may end up buying something after all.

The storm this morning didn't last long but the winds were very strong. Power out to 30,000, I saw branches down in the road, and a power line in the street too. One of the houses behind the church had a tree come down on it, taking out a power line and catching fire. I don't have to worry about the dead branch in the tree out front, it came down on my car. A few dings but nothing broken, not worth reporting to insurance. And more firewood, yay.

Going to sew, I don't know what yet.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - you could get on the JA mailing list for the flyers. Now that they have so many sales/coupons for just a few days, having all the info at once helps plan when it is best to go.

Here’s the work in progress photo. The colors are richer than they look like in the photo. It looks washed out to me, at least on my phone. For example the large on on the bottom towards the right looks like it has almost white petals and gold/orange center actually has a really pretty shade of “Easter” pink petals and a coral center. It is definitely the busiest cross stitch I have ever done but is loads of fun.

I tried the magnifier for a bit and really like it. It seems to stay in place. I got just a 2X, not one with the higher magnification inset. I thought that would drive me crazy and be harder to use for this. I’ll put some batteries in it and try it with the light tonight. It’s not something I will use all or the time, or maybe even very often, but I can see it will be a help working on dark fabric. I also still have seed beads to sort and it should be helpful with the tiniest ones. It’s a tool I probably should have had a long time ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-10867a2f-ed4b-4b6e-a1bd-f47353e6bd97.jpg  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, CH. Husby and I decided not to go anywhere. We try not to do a big shop unless we have long lists for several stores, and we don't. It's not like I need anything else. What I really need is to take the day I would waste shopping, and deal with the giant stack of fabric I've accumulated here and there. And work on the AAR.

We just had an intense little t-storm show up. I can't wait for it to stop so I can go see how much water is in the rain barrel. We corrected the diverter this AM and tested inflow and outflow, which both seem to work now. I think we'll love having it. So many times we have just a pot or 3 that need water, and it will be so much handier to fill a waterer and not have to go deal with the hose. And I can start some AGs now!

We worked on the tube today. It's not going well. It's so frustrating when I solve one problem caused by a fraction of an inch, only to find the next step won't work because of another fraction of an inch. Husby is still grumpy about me wanting to move the license plate, too. It hasn't been a good day. But I think I have solutions to the next 2 problems which I hope will be the last 2. I will discuss it with him tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had to go look at the rain barrel. The rain gauge said we got a half inch. Half our garage roof is about 28x14. From our half inch of rain, we got about ¾ of a 55 gallon barrel. Nice! I used some to water some of the gh tomatoes. They will probably appreciate rain water instead of well water for a change.

After I did The Big Reveal of the rain water, Husby went to look at the camper tube. We discussed it, and reached some conclusions. So I guess the project can move forward now. That's a relief.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, that is beautiful! Glad the magnifier is working for you.

SD, that rain barrel looks great. We haven't hooked ours up yet, there's been so much rain we haven't had to yet. I ought to check it tomorrow, so next time we can start collecting some water.

I worked on this today, because I had the fabric already cut. I added squares from a bright green FQ with blue flowers, and started sewing the long strips in between. The color arrangement is not great, but it won't matter.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1083.jpg

Tomorrow morning the cat goes for her monthly shot, and then I have the afternoon to play. I want to try some small zip bags from the egyptian fabric. I pulled a yard of neutral print to use for lining. It still has the $5 price tag on it. Ah, those were the days.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, D, your flower garden is growing fast! Beautiful.

I sign up for JA's mailing list, get it for a while, then they stop sending it, probably because I don't get there often. I understand that, but it's just another JA annoyance. Fortunately, there's a new Hobby Lobby opening across the highway from the Menards we usually go to 50 miles from here. Starting this fall, I will have less need for JA. I don't know yet how HL will compare though.

We like the whole rain barrel concept a lot. We're already looking at ganging another barrel to the first one. We have another one we were going to put in the front garden area, but maybe we will use that one by the one we just put in. The front isn't ready yet, and one with a flat back might be better in front anyway.

Today I think we're going to try to finish installing the gh panels, weather permitting. That won't require much thought or drama, easy work physically, too. We want to get the new panels in so when we finally haul trash, we can get rid of the old ones and not have those underfoot. The new panels are in the way and still in danger of being damaged, so it all needs to get done. We've gotten distracted with the camper ("this mod won't take long!") so we need to refocus on other priorities for a while. It's supposed to get really hot here soon, so need to get some outside stuff done before that. If we can't work outside, then I need to work on the house and AAR, I think.

Gonna be another busy day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The idea of a lighted magnifier is great, but in practice it was a serious fail. It basically highlighted the ridges and made the holes - invisible. Definitely not a success. It may be the angle I’m working sitting in the recliner. At any rate I took the batteries back out. I didn’t use it much, just a little to experiment, but when I hit another patch of the wonky weave it will be helpful.

Every night when I finish cross stitching I think I’ll crochet the next day. And every day I pick up the cross stitch again. It will probably be cross stitch today. Again. The heat index is predicted to get up to 106. I’m sitting tight indoors for sure. I’m still deciding what to put in the flower bed I’m going to redo for next year. I’ve started looking for bulbs and perennials suitable not just for zone 8 but for 8/9. The summers aren’t going to get any cooler for long, long, long time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes I saw on the news that some places like New Orleans were hit hard. some up here but tends to be random. I rearranged the big basket of stuff beside me so it looks neater hid yarn lol looks like less when organized. need to work on dd blanket more to get that out of the way. the stitch makes my hands ache more so don't work on it as much as I should. remembered that I wanted to make the braided cowl pattern which uses one caron cake so will start one one to take on the trip. small projects. the pic of the blanket isn't as bright as it is. mandala thunderbird. just realized I never put the dishwasher on! have to do that2019 Stash Management-66999171_10157841297287971_2931662461985619968_o.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our plans don't always turn out either, D. But who cares if you cross stitch instead of crocheting?

The plan for us today was to finish the gh panels. There wasn't as much uncut stuff left as I thought. There was one full panel that just needed to be cut to length, so we did that. There were 4 scraps, 3 of which were long enough to rivet together to make one, so we did that. The last scrap was 9" too short, but I had 3 other scraps 8 ft long and about 4" wide, so I cut that into 7 or so pieces and we riveted all those to the bottom of the big piece. It all sounds terrible but looks okay, uses up perfectly good scraps, and saves us about $40. My plan was to do that while Husby cut some little trees behind the garage since I didn't need help, but he wanted to work on the gh, too. That took a couple hours and then he wanted us to work on the camper. What? Okay, then. It did not go well. We were in agreement, but it was a game of Trailer Mod Whack-A-Mole. I'd get one problem solved, then immediately hit another wall. After 2 hours, I finally threw in the towel. The 6" tube is just not going to work without taking drastic steps like moving the tail lights on the camper. What really stinks is, the whole thing would work except one tail light is ¼" lower than the other. That stinkin' ¼" problem again. So the entire cost of the tube and fittings is a total loss. I just can't deal with it anymore. The entire project is cursed. I think Murphy lives in that damn tube, along with at least a dozen of his close family for extra mayhem.

I hate giving up. I'm generally good at solving exactly the type of problems we had. But we decided to put the 4" tube on the back and call it good. I cut it and it's perfect. After I was able to pick myself up off the ground from that shock, everything else started to slam into place. The 4" tube loves us! So far anyway. We got the spare tire bracket reassembled and reinstalled, along with the tire, no drama this time, no annoying spacers needed. We have to drill 2 holes in the steel bumper, unlike the 10 we would have had to with the other tube. We decided not to paint the tube in the interest of saving time. IOW, there shouldn't be much left to do and it should all go well unless we run into another ¼" of trouble.

We have about 40" left of the little tube, and that's a perfect fit on the trailer hitch. We just have to buy the fittings. So we will. It should be handy storage. I will definitely be happy to see the end of this project, which I hope will be tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's gorgeous, Martha. The colors and the stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That mandala blanket looks amazing. Beautiful workl!

I spent the day cutting fabric and interfacing for zipper bags. They come out to about 7" long. This is the first one, I only put it together wrong twice.

2019 Stash Management-img_20190711_172613448.jpg

I need to make 12-15 of them for gifts, so I ordered a lot of 50 zippers from China. Shipping was free and it was so much cheaper than buying them locally.

Dr. appt downtown tomorrow, then a look at that JA clearance sale.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful, CH. People will be happy to get them as gifts. If you're like me, you will figure out how to do them right the first time when you get to the 12th one. Don't be like me. 😁

This morning I'm obsessed with the charcoal chimney that lives in the camper. I'm trying to organize the back compartment, and had most of the stuff out of it yesterday. The chimney was laying on its side, taking up twice as much space as it should. It had ripped up the plastic bag it's in, so it's getting soot on stuff. The bag of starters should have been inside, but it was wandering around by itself. I think I need to make a bag for it that won't rip, and add a couple hooks and a bungee to the compartment to keep it upright and in its corner. How long can that take? It's raining outside anyway.

Not sure what else might get done. Husby is making a run tomorrow because now he's obsessed with finishing the storage tubes. I will be spending a good chunk of the day looking at ads and making lists.