2019 Stash Management - Page 93
Page 93 of 131 FirstFirst ... 438390919293949596103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1955
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD,

Do you ever drive past/near craft stores when you are driving your camper? Or do you mostly just drive past cities?

It is a pain to get to my JoAnn's or really any fabric or craft store, so I am not really tempted. And I don't have as much free time as I would like, so I am a bit stingy with how I use my time. Maybe when I retire and move someplace else it will be different. Maybe not.

For awhile I thought my husband was okay with my tentative plans of moving to city in the Midwest. However, now he keeps talking about how he does not want to move someplace with a cold winter. Interestingly enough, he is bringing this up during a time when the high temps have been in the high 80s/low 90s for about two weeks. [The normal pattern is wanting to move down south when it is freezing out and wanting to move up north during a heat wave.] I have floated the idea of Cincinnati. The temperatures are pretty comparable to DC. It is in Ohio, but on the border with Kentucky. I would also consider parts of Kentucky which are across the river from downtown Cincinnati. Areas that would probably be part of Cincinnati if they were not over the state line. They are just a couple blocks from downtown with frequent public transportation between them and downtown. So I do not think it would feel like a suburb.

I just get into these moods some days when I have a hard time not thinking about retirement planning. My husband's boss just had her last day. He is hoping her replacement will not be horrible. His most recent boss was pretty good, but he has been stuck with some really bad bosses in the past. And his agency is considering offering early retirements. With that you would have to take the penalties for early retirement - which are pretty stiff. But the pension would not be as high because it is based on the number of years worked.

But he gets to retire two years earlier than me anyway, so the whole move out of town date does not change.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DC wow you are very talented that is gorgeous!!
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow I missed the other projects listed below that picture. You are all really talented!! Wow!
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sigh. Haven't really gotten any work on any of my WIP. It's been too hot for me to be motivated and I'm dealing with what I think is an allergic reaction to some new meds. Grrr. This is why I hate having to be me on meds and try to avoid them as much as possible. Fortunately, once I lose some weight, I should be able to get off the meds. Right now, I have to suffer through trying to find something works and I'm not allergic to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We will go out of our way to go to a JA, thrift store, or whatever we need with the camper. We avoid big cities but have towed through Minneapolis. We don't drive our camper, as it's a towable, no engine, so we also just take the truck by itself when we're on a trip, if something is of interest. The bigger cities we generally tow through now are like Fargo, Duluth, Provo, etc, 100k or so. Not too huge. Actually the place that freaked me out the most was I-80 out in Utah, in the middle of nowhere.

You're not thinking of moving right downtown in a big city, are you? I'd hate to be old and living in a high crime area. I'm curious why you don't like suburbs. They offer all the everyday amenities you need (shopping) but the inner ring suburbs are close enough to downtown to get there easily for excursions and medical. Suburbs usually have clinics networked with the main medical facilities downtown, too, so you don't have to go downtown for everything. In general, they have lower crime rates, less traffic, lots of nice things. We're kinda sorta off and on thinking about Hermantown, a suburb of Duluth. All the amenities with less hassle, less crime. We'd be close to medical and events, with taxis and buses when we couldn't or didn't want to drive. It's a lot to think about for us. We like the Duluth area a lot, but like every other place, there are pluses and minuses.

You can find out the TV stations in a city and check the websites for local news streaming. If you watch local news broadcasts, you will soon find out which areas seem to turn up repeatedly on the news and for what kind of crimes, where the sex offenders are moving to, any weather quirks of the area, etc. It's an eye opener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess the answer to your question about going past craft stores is yes and no. If we're headed west, we almost always go through Hibbing on the way, right past JA which conveniently has a signal light right at the mall entrance and a big, trailer-friendly parking lot. So that's an easy stop. It's also the JA we usually go to because it's on the way to Grand Rapids, too, where we often go for day trips or camping.

If we go east and go through Duluth which is common, the JA there is in a strip mall that has a series of tight turns into it and a parking lot about the size of a paper towel. Not at all trailer-friendly. We usually don't stop there when towing, even though JA is within a couple blocks of the highway we take.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks guys! lovely bag ch! that is frustrating spirit. we are ordering a couple things off amazon. dd decided she can't sleep on the camping pad we have so ordering one off amazon..saves me from going across the border for the one I have which then of course I will stop at the craft stores hobby lobby, ja, walmart for yarn...groceries... so dh will order from his amazon prime acct. plus luggage locks. cheaper there.

decided on a braided cowl project. works w one caron cake. so works for plane. can't do big projects on the trip. will look at ravelry on my list. dh is going to make some wood pens for gifts too. cleaned off cat pee she peed on a tissue that fell on the floor. going to put a litter box in the dining room while I am gone because I don't need mystery pee spots sitting around for long time. finished another hat while visiting neighbour. work meeting and need to see my mom op today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Martha - I’m drooling over that afghan. It’s stunning. I love the colors and pattern, but I can see where that stitch would be a hand challenge.

Last night I had suddenly had it with the dark fabric, so I put the flowers away for awhile. I had finished to the midpoint if the page I was working on, four and a half left to go. I’ve pulled out the cheery Christmas one I started. On white. I’ll work on that.

I also crocheted a little last night, but my heart wasn’t in it. I can finish the last banana berry one today. The alternate grab bag was a mixed green tones. When I looked at it closely last night and again in morning light, half of it is older yarn, thicker, and half is newer, just finer enough to show, and some of the shading looks a tad lighter. I can’t use them together and I don’t think there is quite enough of either for a scarf. I think they will go back in n the leftovers. I would be really unhappy to get almost to the end of a scarf and run out. I’m not buying more.

If the hurricane center’s rainfall projection is correct, the storm will miss us. That a little disappointing. I would have liked about an inch, but every update has shifted it farther to the east and we moved from minimal rain out of it altogether over night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks dcompton. can't claim the colours since the yarn has it ..why I like cakes the mixed colours do all the work. it is a front and back granny post I think? you do it front and back over the posts. doing it in a triple stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There is this perception of the "inner city" as being a high crime area. It may be in some areas. But in many places the areas around downtown are actually really nice areas. For example in DC the area is filled with office buildings, museums, offices and restaurants. It is also generally speaking the touristy area. It is one of the safest parts of town.

Every large city will have areas you want to avoid. But in many cities it is not the down town area. The cities I have traveled to Atlanta, San Antonio, Grand Rapids (Michigan), Columbus, and Chattanooga all had very nice downtown area.

I live in an "inner suburb" right now. It has the traffic and population density of major urban area. There are streets that are six lanes wide or more. I once saw two young men take the bus just to get across the street.
    Going anywhere more than a few blocks is annoying because of traffic.

My current commute averages an hour and half - for one way. That is also how long it would take me to get to from my home to any of the museums downtown.

I want to be able to get to places - not just the grocery store or doctors office - without having a big hassle.

I should also throw in that my husband and I don't drive. (I won't get into detail. I will just say we have good reasons.) So we want close in areas with good public transportation.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I missed the Joann's 1 cent sale, but did head there today and did pick up some remnants there to add to my stash. Working on a T shirt quilt for a sister in law for my nephew. have a wedding dress alteration about half done, and a flower girl dress on the go too. found out Grandchild #8 is on the way, so have whipped up a couple new burp cloths and a new receiving blanket in neutrals ( whites with black and grey) I think DD will like them. I have also whipped up 5 pillow cases for a class I have been asked to teach in September. I don't think many will sign up for the class though as I don't think many sew and would want to learn to do it. to add into the mix of things I have got to do, I was given a huge box of plums so I plan on doing some plum sauce with them. DH will like that as he cannot stand to eat rice plain, he is always hunting for a sweet sauce to put on it. Lovely projects all. I don't get to check a whole lot on this thread. keep up the great work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Weighing personal safety is a call each person has to make. I suspect DC is exceptionally well protected in comparison to any other big US city. I hope you end up somewhere you are happy. 🙂

We went looking for various paints today and discovered 2 cans of black Fusion spray paints for plastic. We will probably paint the tubes, since we have the paint. They will look much nicer since the camper is gray with black trim.

I filled 5 gallon jugs with rainwater, thereby saving over $5 by using the rain barrel. We paid $10 for the barrel and it griped me to have to pay $45 for the diverter, but I can see it will eventually pay for itself by providing water for the AeroGardens. Distilled water is over $1/gallon here now.

I'm trying to make myself go start embroidering the Aliner blocks for the camper pantry. No luck with that so far.

I did drag myself out to the cabin to fetch a bag I had a different screen room in. It fits the AAR, and then fits into the storage bay where I want it to live. I need to mend a spot on the bag, but that's a lot less work than making one. The skirt, poles, and stakes can go in the long bag I already moved the stakes into. That bag will fit where the clothesline is now in the storage. It will be moved to the new tube on the back bumper, which is where it will be used. I like the idea of putting the clothesline in the tube because it's an inexpensive item, so if it's lost or stolen, we won't have to care much. The tubes can't be locked.

I feel like I made big progress on the AAR even though I didn't do much. Figuring out how to fold it small enough to fit in storage is huge though. I didn't really believe I could. There is NO extra space in the truck for it, so it needs to be in the trailer. I didn't realize how much the idea it wouldn't fit in the storage bay was bothering me, but it must have been because I sure feel relief now!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Actually the crime rate in DC is quite high. But that does not mean that crime is high everywhere in the city. Parts if the city are well patrolled. Downtown is one of the safe areas.

It is not safe inspite of of being downtown. It is safe because it is downtown. Truthfully it is probably safer than some of the suburbs.
    I googled crime maps downtown DC is safer than many of the suburbs here including where I live. In Cincinnati the downtown area is rated in the safest category.

So I am not really gambling with my safety.

My hometown had a downtown that was pretty run down. It did not give off a good neighborhood feel. There are probably other downtowns that are similar. If that is what you are used to it is probably hard to imagine a downtown that is really nice and safe.
    Last edited by KathyB; 07-12-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    KathyB

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our downtown has its own police station because of the way it was developed in recent years. Most of it is office space and small retailers and restaurants that serve lunch to those workers. During the day it is very safe. However a large concert and event arena went in some years ago and the area around it was developed as an entertainment district. It has many bars and upscale restaurants and clubs. It is NOT safe at night, thus the police station. There are some lofts, but it is not a residential area. Outside that core area there is a mix of good and bad residential and commercial areas. Some are safe, some are not at any time of day. This is the area I think you would want to live in Kathy -- the nice parts anyway. You can walk to shops, and there is good bus service. Out here in the suburbs you cannot really walk anywhere, it a mile or more to the nearest shopping center, and farther to the really good shopping areas. Houses here were built in the 60s and 70s when gas was cheap. The buses do not run often, and mostly run to downtown work areas, or the nearest hub where you have to change to a different bus, not to the many places I would need to go in a day. I can't imaging how many bus changes I would need to make and how many hours it would take to get me to Joann's from here.

Anyway....

This is my fabric haul for the day. First I went to the recycled store and got a few small pieces and a spool of thread. I was out of tan which I need for the pouch linings.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1087.jpg

Joann's. I can't figure out why they calculated the discount the way they did. It did not add up the way I thought. They took 63% off not 50%+25%. I should have asked a manager but it was late and I wanted to get home. Some of the 'discount' prices are higher than the regular 50% off price would have been. I think I am going to have to go back tomorrow and have someone explain it to me.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1086.jpg
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I missed the Joann's 1 cent sale, but did head there today and did pick up some remnants there to add to my stash. Working on a T shirt quilt for a sister in law for my nephew. have a wedding dress alteration about half done, and a flower girl dress on the go too. found out Grandchild #8 is on the way, so have whipped up a couple new burp cloths and a new receiving blanket in neutrals ( whites with black and grey) I think DD will like them. I have also whipped up 5 pillow cases for a class I have been asked to teach in September. I don't think many will sign up for the class though as I don't think many sew and would want to learn to do it. to add into the mix of things I have got to do, I was given a huge box of plums so I plan on doing some plum sauce with them. DH will like that as he cannot stand to eat rice plain, he is always hunting for a sweet sauce to put on it. Lovely projects all. I don't get to check a whole lot on this thread. keep up the great work.