2019 Stash Management - Page 95
Page 95 of 194 FirstFirst ... 458592939495969798105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It’s not all DC. Louisiana is not exactly a shining light when it comes to politics. Also I doubt very much that the NO infrastructure is anywhere like as sophisticated, or even modern, as Amsterdam’s. My guess is some of those pumps are pretty old. Who’s interested in fixing stuff the tourists can’t see? Sad. For whatever reason, it’s a really vulnerable place. They also get too much of the attention. Some of the other parishes, like Placquemines, are just as vulnerable and hammered more often and harder. But really no one cares about them. No money and glitz, just struggling, hardworking people who don’t have the protections NO has.

I’m on the porch enjoying the wind that’s really picking up. We may start getting some rain towards morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do use the flywheel a lot. No choice! I don't think it would work at all without fusing the pieces on the background. If they shifted even a little it wouldn't turn out. I think the narrow parts that have to be perfectly straight might be hard to iron on. I have to have something to worry about before I try it. Not sure when I'll get back to it because Husby brought me some green lumber for a small project that has to be done right away. Hope weather cooperates tomorrow.

State and federal lawmakers need to work together on climate change issues, and feds need to be part of a global coalition, too. This issue does not affect only one country. Obviously, the involvement of the scientific community is critical. The population of the world needs to be involved at the grass roots level, too. But we need leadership from the top down, federal, state, county, local. I don't see much hope ATM though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The point about Placquemines and other areas outside the city was covered on TV today. I agree that topic doesn't get discussed much. The money and attention go to the more populated places.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

true all over money speaks no matter the crisis. if it doesn't benefit a politician they don't care much. hopefully the storm doesn't do much damage. a third of holland is under sea level they pushed back the sea to reclaim land to make the country bigger. I remember when we went to orlando a couple of years ago and apparently it hadn't rained for months but you wouldn't know it. there was a big storm the last day we were at universal ..didn't bother us warm rain we were soaked but you had to walk out anyways..others were all under doorway.. not enough drains or roof lines/gutters etc for a good dump of rain there so had to wade though to get out. we get lots of rain here so set up for it. what was amazing was the lack of dust! we had a car for 9 days and it was barely dirty .. what would take one day here over a week there. and we drove a lot. and all the greenery was nice too. feels weird to be in places that don't have a lot of green or too flat for us like the prairies. just because we are used to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Saturday I worked on a UFO - hand hemming a piece of silky fabric for a scarf. The 2 long sides are almost finished so I'm sure I'll finish the rest this week - yay. It has been sitting around for a long time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I first started thinking of places I would like to move to after retiring, I saw some cities in the South near the coast that looked nice. Then I started reading about cities being hit by hurricanes. So that knocked a bunch of places of my list.

I am concidering Kentucky and Tennessee though. I was looking at Louisville KY yesterday. It is in Kentucky but on the Indiana boarder.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rising sea levels are going to hurt those coastal cities too.

So far we’ve had a less than exciting .1” though we may get more this afternoon. That was apparently from some outlier bands. So far they have pushed off the start of rain from 3 am to 7 am to noon. Let’s just say I’m not unpacking the rain gear.

Nothing much here today. Some dish washing, some messing about, some cross stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got my Aliner blocks done. I wish the stitching was better. That will only happen with practice. I like them, though. Now I guess we have to set up the camper to get one of the pantry baskets so I can make the covers. All told, the sewing itself took 3-4 hours. 2019 Stash Management-20190714_121628_1563127335723.jpg

We have to jack up the front deck and put a deck block under its only post. I knew the day I saw the contractor set the leg on dirt it would eventually be a problem, and now we have to fix it. We built a pier from 2x4s to set a jack on so we can jack the deck up and somehow get the block under the leg. This won't be a fun job. I hope we can get it done this week.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The blocks look really good. Only you can see the mistakes.

I've spent no time in the sewing room. Between gardening, cleaning up from that, and shopping for groceries.... well it's 4pm and I'm having half a bagel for "lunch" and having a short sit-down before starting the salad for our potluck dinner at 6pm.

If I can I'll try to cut the purple pieces for tomorrow. If it doesn't happen in the next hour I won't be able to sew it tomorrow.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pretty sure anyone can see the mistakes, but thanks. They do look better at a distance, say 3 or 4 miles.

Now I'm debating between using this fabric for the covers:
    2019 Stash Management-20190714_172055_1563143390856.jpg
    Or this one:
    2019 Stash Management-20190714_172209_1563143549485.jpg
    I think the second one blends with the block better, and the scale is better. The sides of the baskets aren't much wider than the height of the blocks. It also fits the trailer interior colors better. Maybe my decision just made itself.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nothing obvious in the blocks is jumping out at me. I just noticed your "grass" fabric is the same print as the purple I got for my Cross in Star blocks. I have it in blue, too. And the tree in the background, I have a piece of that in a different color, brown I think. I like the second fabric better. I think it is less distracting, it doesn't compete with the blocks.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sewed the elastic onto the half-slip. Not exactly as I planned but the end result was fine. I finished hemming the long scarf edge. 2 short edges about 8-10" left to do, they won't take long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, I'm impressed with all the alterations you do. What a great way to add to your wardrobe.

CH, I got the grass at HL. The tree fabrics both came in a Ziploc of pieces I got at a church sale last year with the pine tree block pattern I put on an apron, so I don't know where they came from.

I had a heckuva time with those trees. The color of the sky behind both of them was so close to the greens it was really hard to see while I was stitching. The fact I forgot to switch to a clear foot didn't help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the camper blocks. I feel like the second fabric works best. I feel like the first on distracts a little from the camper blocks. It looks better with a neutral color and small pattern. That keeps the focus on the camper blocks.

My husband has shifted from "cities can change a lot in 10 years" to "cities can change a lot in 5 years." He says he I can look at retirement cities, but he does not want to discuss it for another 5 years. In 5 years it will be one year from his retirement and two years from my retirement. That still gives us time to visit some of the cities I am considering. It will also be easier for us to travel once my husband is retired. We both have jobs where there is a big pile of work for us when we get back from vacation, but his is much worse. It is at the point where we are decided no more two week vacations - the pile of work on returning is just too much. Yesterday, my husband has said that "nice weather" is a plus, but not a requirement. Last week he said he did not want to live anyplace with a winter colder than DC.

I worked on my puzzle this weekend instead of doing crafts. No guilt.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't get anything done over the weekend on any of my WIP. It's too hot to work on the wool and wool-blend afgan and it looks like it's going to stay that way for the next week or so. That and I"m dealing with an allergic reaction to some meds which made me feel like crap. Have to go back to the DR. again to try and find yet another med and see if that works. In the meantime, I have to deal with the rash and waiting for it to go away. Sigh.