2019 Stash Management - Page 99
Page 99 of 194 FirstFirst ... 498996979899100101102109149 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, folks. It's pretty much a case of 'ride it out' at the moment. I've stopped the BP meds for the time being to get this allergy cleared up. Pretty sure I won't go back on the second medication again. Don't want to go on the first medication due to how it made my feet swell and the fact it didn't seem to control my BP as well as my Dr. would like. One thing I did notice on the second meds was that I seemed to have lost some weight, even if it was only water weight. Right now I just want to get back to feeling better and get back to taking my daily walks.

Between the heat, humidity and reaction, I haven't slept well at all. Pretty much stayed up all night on Monday. Did get some sleep last night and a little on Tuesday. But I think I'm going to indulge myself this weekend and get a room at a local hotel, if only to get a decent night's sleep through the worst of the heat. We're supposed to get some rain today but things will only get worse until Sunday when the heat's finally going to break. (Here's hoping!) I'd ride it out at home but it's too hot (and loud) to try and keep the windows open. And if I do keep the AC on, it's too loud when it's running and my bed's right under the vent with no place to move out from under it. That and my skin's too oversensitive right now to handle the air since it's a forced air system and pretty strong when the air's going. I don't mind it so much in the winter because I get used to the noise and can slip under the covers.

Haven't done anything crafty lately due to feeling hot and out of sorts due to the rash (and heat in general).

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, I bet I know which BBQ your husband's boss wanted to take him to, because that's where everyone takes their clients. (And we eat there, too, because they are not that expensive) Honestly, all our bbq places are pretty down home, and all of them are good, so going to a shack does not guarantee you better food or a more authentic experience. Now steak houses, on the other hand... you can pay through the nose for a steak around here at some pretty upscale places downtown, but that doesn't get you a better steak than I can get at my local butcher, just a higher price tag.

Ren, enjoy the hotel. Does a cold shower help, or is that too much pressure on your skin? I hope it's over soon.

I'm making a Lazy Quilt out of that awful pink and blue fabric I got. https://www.tidbits-cami.com/lazy-qu...ring-required/ I'm even lazier than this woman was. Cutting everything to 4", 6" and 8" strips. Going to sew like sizes together end to end, and alternate rows. Will use scraps to fill in when necessary.

I finished my second purple block, so those are done, and the one I need to mail is ready to go.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, thanks. The shower isn't so bad but I can only stand under it for so long. I've gotten through the past few days with cool compresses, mostly just wash cloths in cool-ish water. (That also helped me during hot weather in the past.) Right now, I'm just working on too little sleep and hopefully a change in scenery will help. Especially if climate controlled. My apartment faces the road in/out of the complex and a few of the neighbors have rumble 'mufflers' on their cars/bikes. So sometimes it feels like I'm overlooking a drag race. Having a speed bump in front of my building, forcing people to slow down is annoying on a good day. A lot of it is just being overstimulated due to the rash being so itchy. Once the itchiness is controlled and/or goes away, I'll be less cranky. Although summer heat makes me cranky in general.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dean Koontz is too scary too! This Anna Pigeon is "Death Angel" - her friends are kidnapped by thugs during a camping trip, Anna is working to save them. Gotta love there is always a dog hero in the plot as well. Nerve-wracking but only scary for short bursts. The Karin Slaughter book is "Pretty Girls". About a month ago I read "Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn and decided not to read her next book. Summer reading should be more enjoyable.

I reserved "Home Fires" Season 2 DVD set (PBS) from the library. That should be a little more pleasant for next week. If I can remember how to work the DVD player.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't read new Dean Koontz books since he started the Odd Thomas series. I never liked that character. Anyway, I checked out Fear Nothing and Seize the night which are really terrifying. They're 2 of my faves I haven't read lately. I looked at some of his books and found he has a new series that looks good, so I checked out the first 2 in the series. Looks like political thrillers. Lots of reading to do. I cannot read DK while camping, even though we have a hard side camper now.

I didn't like Death Angel as well as some others. I can't remember why now, but I like to reread most of her books, too.

The mood I'm in most of the time now, I don't mind the scary icky stuff.

Absolute Power by David Baldacci is a really good read about what can happen when someone can get away with anything.

I got the tear away stabilizer ripped off the Aliner blocks and trimmed them, so they're ready to be put together.

I repotted the little zucchini and tore off its peat pot. I left it in the gh, so maybe it'll perk up. Nothing to lose by trying. The table garden isn't doing anything. I think it's been too wet. The peas and beans love all the rain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

R - I really hope you get over the rash soon. It sounds totally miserable. I donít think your hotel weekend is an indulgence. You have to sleep and if thatís what it takes, itís completely justified.

I am done in but all the heavy work is finished (I think). Well maybe not quite. I have room now to shift the bed over about a foot that would make it easier to get to my cross stitch fabrics, patterns, and kits. Iím probably going to remove the rug under it. The bed isnít on a frame, just the springs and mattress on the floor. Without the rug it slides all over. Some time ago I flipped the springs and secured the fitted bed skirt all around the bottom with industrial strength Velcro so I think that will stay in place even if the bed skitters around.

I like the new arrangement and it opens up space so the house feels larger. I figured out the bench. Not ideal but ok. Iíll do pictures when itís all done.

I hoped to finish tomorrow but I may be too tired. I wonít begrudge an extra day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Stay calm, have a plan. Go to the basement. Do you even have tornado sirens up there? I'm guessing not. I'm thinking it's north of you guys and not tracking your way, but I could be wrong. It looks like the comma head is headed for the border, but there could still be hail. It can be very stressful, I completely understand.

I'm thinking tomorrow might be a good day to pick up some embroidery, and remind myself why I don't do it often. I started this project about 25 years ago, and rediscovered it lately. https://img.thriftbooks.com/api/imag...8742f94574.jpg

Mmnn, yeah. Or I could pick up the wool applique.

DH liked his birthday gifts.
    that is pretty! would make nice hanging or pillow. glad he liked his gifts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think everyone has different frugal ways and ideas. and what to do to get that way. but you can't really compare. I think the weekend in a hotel would be well worth it. will help clear up the rash too. rearranging is a lot of work but worth it in the end.

one of the playerbooks is a dean koontz. haven't read him in decades odd interlude. seems a couple I got were the first or middle books of series. got my pedicure, had lunch ran a bunch of errands nice when all in the same square. stopped at fabricland in the square too. got bogo thread and a end piece of about a meter of sequined fabric. used 45% coupon for last gift yarn and dd got some art pencils. did a bad job sewing on my patches on scout uniform. burned my thumb on corn so both together ..plus really dislike hand sewing patches. will be a long trip away but fun. wish for a transporter though! save the flight lol 2019 Stash Management-sequins.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M, that's a super nice piece of sequined fabric. Any plans for it?

Kathy, it looks like not everyone shares your goal of moving to a nice midwestern city. https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/17/polit...ate/index.html Fortunately this means good jobs for many people around here. I suspect they'll end up on the KS side, because MO has been a pig about new development in recent years.

I made a mistake, the quilt book I used is this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg I picked the one in the upper right, or possibly the lower left corner to start. I didn't have the fabrics called for in the book, hand-dye and batiks being relatively new and hard to find. I have a small collection now. I may try machine applique on it.

It hit 99 again yesterday, and is already 87 this morning. I'm going to run out before it gets too hot and do a few errands.

DC, hope you get your house straightened up the way you want it, but please be careful in the heat and rest when you need to.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M - I have a little piece of that fabric or something very similar to it. Maybe 4-5Ē. Someday Iíll think of something to do with it. Maybe. But it caught my eye. Boring day ahead just putting away stuff that was displaced or was already waiting to be put away. As a favorite book has it - flotsam, jetsam, etcsam.

Ch - no problem with the heat. Itís all inside work. 78 with ceiling fans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Change of plans. I’m taking at least the afternoon off. I am just too tired and there is no reason to push it. After supper I have to clean the kitchen and if I feel like doing more, I will. But it’s optional. I’ll do some word puzzles and maybe cross stitch a bit. That will probably make it stretch out to Sunday but that’s ok.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

it is always ok to do it at a slower pace. I don't know how you do it in that heat ch. not sure what I am doing with it. it was such a good price so couldn't pass it up. is enough for a top sleeveless.

not up to much here. hit w the curse. my tablet is acting up that I want to bring. leftovers for dinner 3 days worth. so just putter in the house. cleaned up the cat pee again. getting rid of that toy. a cat toy my mom gave me that has arm that moves under a cover . well every time you forget to pick it at night she pees on it. and then you get it on you when cleaning ...so more laundry etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have heard quite about about the employees being assigned to Kansas City. I do not think that the main issue is anything against Kansas city specifically. The bigger issue is that in this part of the country both people people in a married couple working is the norm. Married couples are faced with a bad choice: move and make my spouse quit their job or quit my job so my spouse can keep their job.

The pension is another thing as well, since having both people in the couple with for the government is extremely common around here.

We could live on just my husband's income if we lived in Kansas City. However, I would be giving up my pension. And there is no surviving spouse benefit for the government pensions. If I became a widow I would be in tight spot financially without my pension. My husband is not part of the group who are being forced to relocate to Kansas City. However, his office has people in Kansas City. He could choose to transfer to the Kansas city office if he wanted to. I do not have that option for my job.

Financially, a single person could come out ahead. We are paid a cost of living increase of 30% here, but the cost of living is about twice what it is in Kansas City. Then you could debate - aside from cost of money - what city has the better quality of life. That gets subjective. DC has more attractions, a larger selection of restaurants, and generally more to do. Better winters, but worse summers. It would score worse in traffic, commute time, big crowds, and probably longer wait times at eating places.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got some work done on basket covers. Maybe I can finish them tomorrow. I wish I could make them lightly quilted, but when I built the pantry, I made it so the baskets fit into frames so they wouldn't slide around as we travel. There's no space even for light quilting. I'm making these like a bag, so the rest should go fast. I'm using ripstop for the parts that don't show, so it doesn't take up any space. I'll probably get all fancy and put some Contact paper on the cardboard in the bottom.
    2019 Stash Management-20190719_140528_1563564942697.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hadn't thought about dual-income families, but you are right. And I know that moving a family, changing schools, etc is always a hassle. A lot of people don't want to leave their extended family, may have relatives to care for, and so on. I'm surprised you would lose your pension entirely if you left, but not really because if the government can screw you, they will.

And yes, DC has more of everything, (and we're not short of entertainments or restaurants) but sometimes less is more.

M, I have acclimated to the heat, and it's only 81 in the house. We have a good breeze today, so if you're in the shade it is not unbearable. I was out a few minutes ago topping off the feral cats' water bowls. I'm also still taking the low dose steroids, which give me a fair bit of energy most days.

I finished up this lap quilt for the outreach program. It will likely go to a nursing home or hospice care center.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1091.jpg

While I was out this morning I went by Tuesday Morning and bought a roll of batik fabric and some tiny squares. I really wanted the 5" charm squares I saw there last month, but they were gone. The roll was a good deal, normally about $40, it was marked $18 and had a 20% off sticker on it. The squares have a lot of yellow and orange in them, which I wanted for flowers. Now if I can find that old project again. I'm going to have to pull out all the boxes.

Name:  DSCN1090.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  11.5 KB

Waiting for the outdoor thermometer to tick over from 99 to 100.....

Use it up, Wear it out,