2020 Stash Management - Page 104
Page 104 of 180 FirstFirst ... 45494101102103104105106107114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2696
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I packed up the kitties and birds cross stitch. I just can't make myself work on it now. I'm going to start a simpler project that's less of a brain drain. Go ahead and laugh, D. Every time I looked at it, all I could think about was what you said about projects should be fun, not constant frustration, or words to that effect. I'll probably get back to it sometime. Part of it was it was the fourth large-ish project for me and I started the kitties already burned out.

Not much happening here. I made a couple batches of hot pretzels and will probably make lasagna later.

I'm feeling virtuous because all our chips got out of covid jail today and I immediately divided 2 bags into 1 oz portions, and half each of 2 other bags, which I then resealed to help resist temptation. I hope this puts a stop to us mowing through entire bags of chips as soon as they're open, and helps cut down on potentially dangerous trips to Dollar General, too. We used to have chips in the house only rarely, but since covid, we're eating like 5 year olds.

The ice cream is gone and not replaced, too, so we're slowly getting back on track. Still have ice cream bars and Drumsticks, but those are easier to manage.

We had a bear last evening. Luckily the feeders had just been brought in. The bear couldn't figure out how to get over the garden fence but it finally left after we screamed at it long enough. PITA bear.

85 here today. Too hot. No progress from the beaver cleanup crew yet. The new neighbors dropped their giant pontoon in the lake the day we found the tree, so the traffic might have scared the beavers away. Or maybe they are working on another job site. We'll give them a few more days and then Husby will have to haul out the chainsaw.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I realize that most of my craft projects are fairly mindless things. Well the early planning and prepping stages take some thought. But after that it it fairly basic repetitive stuff. Like my current skirt project, cutting out pieces and choosing fabric take some thought. But the actual sewing is pretty straightforward.

The embroidery style I do is much easier than cross stitch. I don't have to worry about getting the right color in the right square.

I have another set of threads I have dyed. This is some yellow and orange mixed with white over light brown. It is less colorful than my last two batches. A more subdued color palette. I like a mix of color type, some bright and some more subdued.

The threads are still in the drying stage. Ready for pictures in a few days.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whatever works, Kathy. 🙂

They've been using the D word (drought] here the past few days on the weather. We're in the third driest yr since records started, driest since 1910. It's scary dry. I can't remember the last time we had a good rain. Hope we get a week of slow and steady rain soon, but not much in the forecast. And it's not even our dry months yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, I hope you get rain soon and it's not a bad year. It's been bad enough already. We're supposed to be getting that Saharan dust storm tomorrow, but my eyes have been stinging all week.

Y'all are probably scandalized to hear that DH and I went over to a friend's house, stopped at the store for chips and then hung out with people all afternoon eating out of the very bag we just bought. We really needed to see people and laugh together. That's the last bag of chips for a while, though. We ate more junk food during the stay-at-home period than we usually do and it stops now. I wouldn't have bought this one but DH said we ought to take something and I had no time to prep anything healthy.

My package came, it only took 35 days to arrive from California. I'm happy with the grab-bag though, I got a good assortment of stuff.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Friday night I separated the floss hanks from the kit I don't want to stitch. I use 3X5" cards and hole-punch around the edges 12-14 holes. Then loop the floss through a hole and label it w/ the DMC number. I combined w/ floss from another kit so if I just need a small amount for a future project I might have it on hand already.
    Today I want to finish the RW&B table topper. I have some ideas for border/backing construction and sewing but it will be an experiment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've made thread sorters like that, too. They are okay for smaller projects, but for lots of colors, I found out using Ziploc snack bags work better for me. They keep the ends from raveling and tangling, and all the thread stays cleaner. I punch holes on a top corner of the Ziploc, then put all the bags on one of those split rings that clip closed. I added a shower curtain ring to my embroidery stand and hang the ring holding the thread from the shower ring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It’s scandalous how fast I can plow through a bag of chips. I buy groceries so seldom now that I get some, do my worst, and then there just aren’t any for the next month or so. The only way for me not to scarf them down is not to have them. Same with ice cream. I rarely allow myself to even buy that.

Attitude is slow going. I hope the rest isn’t as confetti dense as the corner I’m working on. If it is I’ll keep it in the rotation but three or four days on it may be the limit of my patience. Yesterday I had four or five stitches of a very dark brown and very dark blue. I accidentally reversed them. Too bad. They’re just rocks. On a face I would have to take it out, but rocks? Nah. There are some mistakes around them too, I think, but it’s such a welter of nearly identical light colors, I doubt I could could even figure out which ones were wrong. In short, I love the pattern but it’s being a challenge right now. Before long I’ll move along to the wide expanses of orange and off white on hybiscus.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our food habits are scandalous right now, too. I have to get a grop because we're going to be dealing with covid at least another yr. I'm already up 10 lbs and that can't go on.

I'm always on the hunt for healthier recipes we like, and I scored this morning. Husby picked up a closeout pancake mix a while back. It was whole grain which he usually doesn't like, but he liked that. It was spendy even on closeout, ridiculous regular price. I've been looking for a good HM recipe since. I mixed up a recipe I found somewhere so long ago I don't recall where. I had forgotten all about it. Figured it was worth a try. Husby made a batch for lunch and really liked them, so it's a keeper and I can quit looking. Always nice when that happens.

I've been reading, not doing much else, trying to get my arm to heal up. Does tendonitis ever really get cured, or should I get used to having chronic pain forever?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot a word. What I found was a HM mix recipe, not for making pancakes from scratch every time. The RD said when Husby had his heart attack to aim for at least half whole grains in recipes, and this one is over half, so considered a whole grain food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

still plugging away on mindless crochet for now. did pull out a DGS fleece blanket I am stitching on. I have to finish the blanket stitch all around the outer edge of it before I can crochet an edging on it. I am probably 7/8 of the way around it. It is just super hard to pull the needle through the fleece that it takes forever to get the blanket stitching done on it. Once that part is finished i can whiz through the crochet part of it. It will probably be a Christmas gift for him along with something else.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's great that you found a wholesome recipe. I have a coconut flour recipe for DH, the only problem is it uses 4 eggs, so you can go through a dozen fast.

It depends on how bad your arm is, SD. It can be weeks or months at minimum, and it's very easy to irritate the tissue and get it all inflamed again. If you only have inflammation it will heal faster than if you tore a tendon. If it is healing and you do "just a little" work and make it hurt again you've just undone weeks of healing. If your doctor has you on anti-inflammatory pills he probably thinks a couple months will do it.

For reference, when my arm stopped working (torn rotator cuff) I had 3 months of physical therapy to regain use of it, and then was on opioids and steroids for 2-3 years after that, for the pain. That was on top of the anti-inflammatories I take for arthritis. When I tore a tendon in my wrist at age 22 it healed badly because I had no insurance, and I had pain for 10 years or more.

So kick back with an ice pack and a nice book.

DC, you may be slow, but you're doing more than I am.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on my vamp afgan, although I've sorta been doing it on and off most of the day over the weekend.

Sigh, I gained weight due to the pandemic shutdown as well. I've been trying to eat a bit better. I didn't get sweets yesterday when I went grocery shopping. I do have some cookies that I'm trying to finish. The weekends are the worst since I've been getting fast food on those days. Good thing is I've been drinking more water lately. It's easier to just keep a brita pitcher filled, especially when things are hot and muggy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Knotme, I hate projects like that, but it sounds like the worst is almost over.

Thanks, CH. I think my arm is marginally better. I'm grateful I can type at my desk. It's an L and my left (sore) arm can rest on the desktop for solid support. Typing is hard if I have to let my arm support itself, even with a sling. I tried using my mouse on the left side and was immediately informed that was unacceptable. My office chair is comfy, keyboard ergo, footstool ready under the desk, so typing seems to work well for me.

I'm doing better at doing less. Poor Husby. I feel so guilty. He never complains. It's annoying as hell to drag him out of his office to do stupid crap like get the bread machine out of the cabinet or sand a couple of little boards or a million other things I shouldn't need any help with.

So glad I discovered the neoprene ice bag holder or I'd really be crazy. Before, it was impossible to keep ice on my arm, much less do anything. I can move around now and keep the ice in place which is so much less frustrating. Ice helps more than anything.

Doc only put me on Motrin for 2 wks because it conflicts with other meds.

I'm trying to be optimistic but some days it's difficult. It's even harder not to do things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think there is a certain amount of comfort food eating involved in the whole quarentine thing. I have been actually exercising more but it feels like my weight is creeping up.

I have been doing more learning and training at work. It is easier to focus on stuff when I am teleworking. I have started online Spanish courses.

I am going to try getting back to doing lettering some more.

This is week two of online training at work. Time for more stitch and listen.

The batch of subtle overdyed thread is finished. I started with light brown/tan threads. The base colors were slightly different. So each of the three threads are a little different, but they look very similar.

Thread before winding.

2020 Stash Management-img_20200629_074928521_1593436470386.jpg

Thread after winding.

2020 Stash Management-img_20200629_090316957_1593436458408.jpg

I have found the photographs on this sliver gray surface show truer colors than other surfaces.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Covid was just the last straw for me and bad eating. I've been stressed and anxious since 11/16, not good for a stress eater. But I feel somewhat more in control now so hope to build on that snd still lose at least 20 lbs this yr. There, I said it publicly, so I hope I can shame myself into following through now. Tracking is always the key for me. Must. Track.

I found the clear sealer for the new pot rack shelf, so will see if I get it put together today so I can get it sealed. Husby is working on taxes after months of procrastination, so I don't want to disrupt him. Maybe I should focus on something else till he's done.

We had a power outage already today, but no storms so far. It's foggy and either misting or raining. I can't see the lake, whatever it is. Don't care. We need anything wet we can get at this point.