2020 Stash Management - Page 11
Page 11 of 162 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, do you live anywhere near the Coqahalla Highway? Maybe that's spelled right. People always talk about people wearing shorts in winter, but never think it's strange to see women wearing dresses. It's not unusual to see shorts here in winter, too. It would not go over well at all here if I wasn't allowed to touch tools. Especially since so many of them are mine and I do so many projects around here. Without my tools, life as we know it would cease. LOL.

Glad you're not having ongoing pain, D.

I was going to stitch but fell asleep. Still tired from Saturday.

Our next snow is supposed to start at 9, the first of 3 storms predicted for this week. The snowplow drivers' strike begins at midnight. It could get interesting.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

All our snow melted off today. I'm not sure we'd notice if snow plow drivers went on strike here, there is so much of the city they never plow at all. All the retail areas pay private service companies to do it. We only get our street done because it is a school bus route.

I saw we are supposed to get weather this weekend, too, but I have not looked at the reports closely. The predictions change day by day.

Anyway, photo of the day's work, with proud supervisors on hand.

2020 Stash Management-img_20200113_162210948.jpg

M, I'll check into local online groups, thanks. I haven't had much contact with the local cosplay community in a number of years, but I am sure they are out there. Used to be a lot of chatter on yahoo groups, but they are dead these days.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Retail areas are generally privately owned, so not maintained by taxpayers. We're in the top 5 states in the nation for income taxes, and well maintained, safe winter roads are one reason why. Having lived in South Dakota where there is no state income tax and winter roads were not well maintained, I've concluded it's better paying taxes. When we lived in SD and they did plow (had to get minimum of 12" of snow first) our street was always among the first plowed because a city council member lived across the street. That always made me laugh. Politics!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to say I love the quilt and the supervisors. The kitties and quilt all look so warm and cozy and homey.

Isn't one of your cats a feral from the family that lives outside on your porch?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks. No, all the ferals are still living outdoors. Have not seen the two males since the nights started getting cold, but the three females are here every day.

Hope your storms aren't too serious.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That’s a really pretty quilt. I can’t imagine making something that big.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lovely quilt ch! coquihalla is how it is spelt had to look it up lol know how to say it not spell. indian name one of the tribes. one they show on highway from hell all the time except after the first few seasons companies stopped having as many go over in the winter..all the bad drivers etc lol on tv. a couple hour drive for us. we are right on the coast. it is the main hwy to rest of country.

yes here you can be in shorts and fleece jacket. but today was cold and we have lots of wet slushy stuff. more him being lazy and a teen. and he wore a tank top! he got nagged about laundry as soon as he got home because he wasn't going too.

dh has lots of tools lol and they are his too..I haven't been able to buy something as a gift for years since he has so much. I can't be bothered too look for much besides a hammer or screwdriver. but we aren't in the habit of using other peoples stuff without asking. I have my stuff too lol now the kids...well kids. he also doesn't like me using butter knives or shoes as hammers lol. I am sure he would be thrilled for me to get my own tools so would be easier to buy me gifts. but I just get him to do everything I need cus i can't be bothered. he just got himself a laser.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, I think you're right about the head gasket. If that's the case, it's likely better to just buy a "new" car as to try and repair my current one. At least my current car has been paid off for 11 years.

Almost finished with skein #3of9 on my navy afgan. I'm pretty sure I will have enough skeins to complete the afgan since it's about halfway done lengthwise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ren, sounds like you are just burning through that yarn.

I looked at the quilt this morning and, oops, have a block in wrong. You might not think it matters on a scrap quilt, but with this one it's the lights and darks that make the pattern. Easy to get a section in upside down.

Cold and misty here again, but ~20* warmer so it is not forming ice. We're supposed to have a bit of a warm up before arctic air rushes in late tomorrow.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, CH. I find crocheting relaxing when I'm stressed. And I want to get the navy afgan out to the person at my Dad's facility before it gets colder.

Finally heard back from the dealership shop regarding my car. Fortunately, it's just the oil pressure gauge and not the head gasket. So I had them go ahead and fix it. It's still going to be expensive but just about any repair will be more than what the car's worth at this point. Then again, it's still only a fraction of what I would be spending, even if I chose a pre-owned car.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have the utility room to that point where it looks worse than it really is. I did take a long break last night. That was the most difficult room with the most work. There will still temporarily be a lot of stuff in it. I have some in there going to the attic and boxes of stuff that would throw out, but I’ll let the others see if there is anything they want before it goes in the trash. I suspect they might do that anyway before they haul it to the dump.

You will laugh SD. When I moved my tool collection - half a shoebox - I see I’ve ended up with two hammers. Who needs two hammers? One has to go. I’m sure that’s one thing that will held on to by the guys, but I’m also sure they don’t need another hammer either. Lol.

We had splendid thunderstorms last night. Apparently more are on the way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's always hard to know what to do about older cars and big repairs. Good thing it's not a head gasket though.

CH, sorry for the mistake on the quilt. At least it can be fixed.

Sounds like progress at your house, D. I tried to imagine myself with a ½ shoebox of tools, but it just made me shudder and want to cry. I build, repair, and modify stuff as often as I sew stuff, so I use building and sewing tools almost every day. Today I made a cardboard lid for the puzzle tray (which required a whole other set of tools) and used two 4' straight edges, a mallet, box cutter, glue gun, 6" ruler, a quilting doodad for marking ¼" seams, two cutting mats, a mechanical pencil, and a regular pencil. It always amazes me how many tools it takes even to do simple projects.

I have no idea how many hammers we own. We have several varieties. We have maybe a dozen claw hammers because I bought a bunch of cheap ones when the kids and I built a fence in Minneapolis. That's worked out nicely though because we have a variety of camping items that require stakes, and most of them have hammers packed in the bags, since we still had the extras. It saves looking for one. We also have tool sets including hammers in both cars, and one in a tool set in my office. And we inherited some.

As mentioned, I got the lid done for the puzzle tray, so that project is complete now. I winder if Husby will actually use it. I think he will, since everything can be all closed up when he's not working on it. That will be extremely helpful.

I got all the liner parts serged and stored, in spite of repeated broken threads and a broken needle. I sew, therefore I swear. A lot of the problems were more user error than anything, which did nothing to reduce the requisite swearing. But in spite of the frustrations, I'm liking my serger more all the time. I still have a couple dozen bags to serge, but at least my serger table isn't buried anymore.

I was forced to clear off most of my work table so I could make the lid. It's nice to get stuff put away and have space to work again.

Another busy day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The tool I used most today was the seam ripper. I got the section removed, and put back in the correct way. After that I had no desire to work on anything else and the sun was gone. It had been nice for a while, I even opened the windows for fresh air. We own several hammers, but good luck finding one. I have to hide the one I use for setting grommets, or DH will lose it. I label a lot of my tools or they wander off.... Really though, it'd be nice to have friendly neighbors who come over and fix my stuff.

Quilt bee next week. Have to decide what to take and gather everything I'll need. I already have the basics in my rolling case.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea for the rolling case, CH. It's hard to overstate what a difference it makes to put stuff on wheels.

Glad you got the quilt fixed. That's always a good feeling.

Husby and I have gotten much better about putting tools away. We used to have to search for things very frequently. But since I purged the garage a few yrs ago and got most of it organized, it's been much better. We bought several rolling steel tool cabinets and any other storage we needed, plus I salvaged a ton of cabinets, lumber, and other materials to build garage storage. About the same time we were buying all the old entertainment centers, and I was on round 4 or 5 of sewing room organizing and found my big bookcase which has been the key to organizing that whole room. The place isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's vastly improved to the point where we don't search nearly as much as we used to. We used to dread starting projects because we knew it would be so frustrating just to find tools. Now it's lots more fun and productive to work on stuff. It's a huge relief.

I dug out some stash fabric to make a scrap catcher for C's serger at DfG. She had a big pile of scrap sitting beside her machine, so I asked if she had one. She didn't know what they were, so I said I would make her one. I want that done before I start shields.

I'm excited I get to cut 2.5" squares for my own use from the pocket scraps. The pockets are also cut from scraps, so there's a huge variety of prints and I will only get a few from each print, at most. Perfect! I'm not sure how often we will be cutting pockets at home, so I hope we get lots of squares this time. I need to make a template for the squares and maybe for HST to go with them. There are lots of pieces big enough for triangles but not squares. Those would be handy, too. See why I want to teach Husby to cut? More time for me to sew!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, lots happening here on the thread since I last checked in. Stayed home while DD took the grands out last Friday and had a couple of uninterrupted hours to get the Christmas stuff taken down without "help" I was amazed at the stuff I found on the tree. the grandkids put everything they could think of on it. lol. Then later that afternoon I had to run out to do my own errands, and my little 2 yr old DGD was determined to come with me. I had to sneak out and DD had to distract her.
    My older DGD was so excited at Christmas that she had received some doll clothes for her dolls. she was showing her cousin via skype, who demanded to know where the doll clothes were for her doll, and backed my DGD into a tight spot, so Grandma to the rescue. ( these cousins do not even live near us) I had found a super simple dress pattern to make up, but DGD wanted something a bit more complicated. She got me a dress that she wanted it to kind of look like and I drafted the pattern to make it up. I let her choose which fabric to use ( I gave her a choice of 2 fabrics in her chosen colour) and she picked the one I had chosen to use. made up the dress, ( but still have to put in the velcro) and now DGD gets to learn how to sew on a decorative button. We picked a cute button from my stash of those.
    I was able to do a few more stitches on a Christmas stocking for another DGD yesterday while waiting at the dentist office.
    I had mailed off the quilt I had made for a sister in law for her son ( my nephew) They got it the day before his birthday and they loved it and think it is beautiful. I am so glad. That was a lot of work and I did rip out lots as I didn't like the way some went together, also found a block upside down but had that corrected before I finished it off. All in all, a huge project I am extremely glad is finished.
    next up on my list of things to do, DD wants to give a friend of hers some cloth diapers. I have the stash so will make up several for her to send to her friend ( who has a baby due any day now) She wants them to be the flannel diapers, just the big square serged on the edges using some flannel sheets I have. I found one that was partly used to use it up and just remembered another one we can use to make a few more with too.