2020 Stash Management - Page 13
Page 13 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363113 ... LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nice earthy colors, M.

Frustrating day here. Lost my hobby knife last night while digging around looking for the heating pad for the cat. She's been cold and keeps jumping on me, which isn't a problem except I don't sit still long and have to keep dumping the poor girl onto the floor. I have to do some delicate cuts and can't find the small knife. We have more than half a dozen in the house, but DH takes them and puts them in places he can't remember, so they might as well all be lost.

I'm watching my neighbors trying to back a truck out of their icy drive into the icy street. Sigh. They got it about half way and are standing around looking at it.

And I can smell cat sh$! again. I don't know where it is coming from. The smell is very strong when I sit at my sewing machine. I have been down on the floor looking for it, not a lot of space to begin with, nowhere to hide anything. Argh!
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M - I like the colors too. The hat will be fine when itís finished.

CH - just one of those days. I sometimes think I would prefer to deal with one big problem than a cascade of little aggravations.

K - I hope you are recovered from all the dental work.

Iím having a good day. The thread finally arrived so I can stop fretting that it was lost en route. It must have just hung up somewhere along the line. Now to see if I like it. Or rather, at that price, I WILL like it. Iím doing this for entertainment, not to make heirlooms or museum pieces.

I had also ordered a pack of 100 needles, size 28. It was 6.28 or 6.78 - something like that. If I like them I will probably order another of 28 and one of 26. With these projects using 90-100 colors, I can never have too many needles. With that and a little copying, cross stitch is covered for the year unless I do need some specific floss. When I take the dragon to copy, there are a couple more high on my list that I will do at the same time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Worked on cross-stitch for a while. It will be sooo nice to finish this particular kit - too fussy for my taste. I do think there will be a good variety of floss left over that I will save. It is all sorted and marked by color from the kit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks it is the caron cake zucchini 70s vibe lol think I got 3 hats out of it. just need a couple of hats to go w gifts of scrunchies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I found my knife, it had slid into the trash can under my sewing machine. Not sure how. Have not found the source of the smell.

The reveal for the mystery quilt is up. https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...-9-reveal.html I had guessed the star block and border. Wasn't sure how she was going to work in the rest without additional pieces. Oh, look, additional pieces. I have to say the blue and pink work well. The green, not so much. Still not sure if I'll make it. I have enough projects and that's a LOT of triangles.

Glad you got your thread, DC.

Dlr, I'm going to have leftovers from mine, too. There is like 6x the amount of thread I need, even if I made a bunch of mistakes. For example, they gave me 2x 36" 6-ply strands of one color, and I only needed a single strand doubled over to do all of that color required.

The freezing rain/ice finally stopped here.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sewed a lining in the little brocade zipper bag, I'll add a bead & jump ring to the zipper pull then it will be really fancy. So easy and quick, I would like to make more, mainly depends on zippers on hand.
    Decided I will set up a little hand-sewing box in my home office next to the chair and light fixture. Pulling out extra pincushion, pins, needles, scissors to keep there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyone seems busy.

I had a frustrating day yesterday. DfG gave me a device they made for shield quality checks. It's supposed to slide into the pockets to make sure they're big enough. Fine, good idea, right? I struggled for over an hour, trying to make a shield the damn card would fit into. I finally measured the card. It was just slightly too wide, so I trimmed it to the right width. It still doesn't fit. The only way I can make it fit is to use seams less than ľ". How do you accurately make seams that narrow with 3 to 5 layers, one of which is slippery? Especially when some sections can't even be seen as they're sewed because the pockets are wider than the rest and cover bottom layers. The really stupid part is the finished measurements are correct using a ľ" seam, it's just that the #%*! card doesn't fit. I plan to have the other shield sewist shadow me at the next event. Maybe she will have some advice. If they insist on using the stupid card for their QC, my shields will fail even though the measurements are correct. This dilemma is taking all the fun out of sewing shields. It's hard to be enthused about sewing hundreds of pieces knowing they're likely to be rejected due to a stupid card. My plan is to forge ahead, making sure all finished measurements are correct, and forget the card. IMO, whoever cut the cards did it wrong because they used the same width measurement as the topstitching. There's no way for that to work.

So after all the aggravation, I couldn't face any more sewing. I fixed the mistake on the cross stitch and worked on that the rest of the day. It went well and I finished the sewing machine and rack with 4 little scissors. Next up, the patchwork on the machine or the little shelf with thread spools. That's just a bunch of little projects so should go fast. Everything so far has been some shade of black , brown, or gray so it will be fun to add some brighter colors.

We have about 4" of snow so far. County plow drivers are still on strike, so supervisors are plowing. We've all been warned roads will not be cleared as quickly as usual. Luckily we don't need to go anywhere. Our driveway isn't plowed anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, do the shields fit even though the card does not? That would be the real measure.

Glad to hear you are making progress on the stitching. That is a cute kit. It was so dark here yesterday I did nothing.

It's sunny today and the ice just evaporated overnight. Yay! No scraping. Not going out anyway. The plan is to finish this paper kit, maybe do a few stitches, and spend some time in the kitchen doing some cooking prep work. I want to make soup stock and see if my sourdough is viable.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finally got two work shirts finished for dh. I'll do more later but at least has two new ones to add to the mix. I cleared the sewing table off enough to sew.

I sewed two pieces of fleece together for the puppy to have a warm blanket in his crate at night. He just wads it up and sleeps on it. Crazy pup.

I stuffed dgd's craft supplies in a drawer to make some room to sew. I'll get to that mess sometime. I just want to get more of the table cleared off to finish sewing the quilt. I'll go work on that here in a bit. I'm just happy that I got a couple of shirts done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thereís not much happening here. I didnít do much on the spring sampler last night so I wonít get it finished today. Tomorrow for sure. I did some preliminary sorting with the new floss last night and pulled the colors for the dragon. I need to get that on bobbins and set up a needle holder.

The dragon is a detail cropped from a larger pattern. They call their cropped patterns quick stitches. Well, all is relative since itís still nine pages. It looks like a really straightforward one though without much confetti.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Stash Management-1062bbaf-71d8-4458-bfb9-10b278d32de0.jpeg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cute dragon, DC, but it looks like a fair bit of work. I did not get any stitching done. Meant to but got distracted. I was so achy last night that I slept very late this morning and got started on the day at noon.

Worked on my paper craft. Decided to do modifications, which took some extra time to work out and fiddle with.

Also had a fight with my printer trying to get a simple sheet of graph paper printed so I could do this:

2020 Stash Management-img_20200118_170357614.jpg

The center section is what I have completed to date. I figured out how many squares I'll need in each of the outer rings (3 more colors). 48 for the next ring, which I hope I can get out of the light blue paisley. 36 for the one after that, not sure which fabric yet, might be a white. 24 for the corners. I also divided the remaining quilt into 6 panels which will be easier to assemble than continuing to add from the center.

Jettsmom, good job on the work shirts. Hope you get some progress made on your quilt, too.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been stitching a few strings on some string blocks I am working on, and I have taken a lot of today to rip out the quilting on the parts of the quilt I cut off from the nephew's quilt I sent off last week. They received it last week just in time for his birthday. They loved the quilt and thought it was a great job and beautiful, so it was a win I guess. Have to watch what I do as the 2 yr old comes in to help when she can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Modifying the jacket that has no insulation in the sleeves. I traced a pattern onto tissue paper and cut up some old stretch pants to make the new sleeve insulation. I'm going to hand-stitch this in place and see if it works. If not, easy to remove. I worked on cross-stitch also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another sunny, but very cold day. Have no plans to go out so it will be a repeat of yesterday. I have the stitching to work on, quilt projects, etc. to choose from. Tomorrow is quilt bee and I haven't chosen which project to take with me.

Hope everyone has a nice warm day.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The house declutter/put away has come to a screeching halt the last couple of days. Yesterday I did laundry and acted like I deserved a medal for it - lol. It’s not like I have to haul it down to the creek and pound it on the rocks. I’m going to stop pretending I have any enthusiasm left for the task and just peg away at it a bit here and there.

I also didn’t put a stitch on the spring sampler. I got all the dragon floss put on bobbins and cut fabric for it. I liked an antique white best, but would have to grid it and I’m just too lazy, so I cut some pre-gridded white. I’ll probably block off the pages though. That shouldn’t take long. As close as I am to being finished with the sampler, I have no interest in delaying gratification and will probably get a start on the dragon today.

I also want to go through the large patterns and see how many are two sided prints. If I’m going to be copying some, I might as well get most of them done while I’m at it.