2020 Stash Management - Page 132
Page 132 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3282122129130131132133134135142 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2251
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a three bedroom condo. It is more than enough for the two of us. But it is not the same amount of space as house.

At some point after we retire we will make tough decisions. In theory two people should not need a three bedroom place but we have three bedrooms worth of stuff.

For crafting I feel like I struggle with the high contrast thing. I always like to put together colors that are close to each other.

Right now I am working on another white skirt with a piece of white and pinkish fabric sewn to one side.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Close to finishing a little daffodil cross-stitch. Annoying because it uses several shades of yellow so close it is hard to tell them apart. Decided I don't like the charting software this designer is using. Printed in B/W it is too hard to differentiate symbols. There is a 2nd small roses chart that I printed. After I finish the roses I won't use this designer again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, we have a 4 BR house with family room, oversized double garage, and 3 room cabin. Much less wouldn't work well for us. If we have to downsize, of course we will, but it would be painful. We're always looking for stuff to get rid of though. A lot depends on where we would move to. The farther away, the more stuff we would try to get rid of first. If we just moved into town, we probably would keep most of it. Moving very far is very costly.

DLR, I usually color b/w patterns with colored pencils. It's just too hard to keep all the symbols straight for me otherwise.

I went through some of my quilting books and decided I could make a copy of the bear paw quilt pattern in one of them and get rid of the book. There's nothing else of interest. I need to get done with sorting and organizing the guest room so I can do another round of purging the entire house. I guess I could sort books during my evening TV time.

I digress. I was looking at the quilt books for a spool pattern and found the perfect one, a 4" block which will be a nice size for the project. The center square is a cut size of 2.5", so I can use some I already have cut. Since it's a need to protect the Go! mats, this project is high on the priority list. We're planning a big stock up trip in September or October, so I could hit HL if I need something. I'll have to decide before then, so I have whatever I need for winter. Glad I have time to think about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found everything I need for the front of the cutter mat case. I sorted through my stacks of 2.5" squares and found 18 I think would look sufficiently threadish for the thread portion of the spools. I will need 8, 10, or 12 spool blocks, I think, but want extras in case I hate colors or something. I still have to find something for the back and lining, but that isn't so fussy and I'm sure I have something.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I sewed 2 blocks and part of a 3rd. Have to cut some more 1.25" squares to continue. It's a cute block but I'm not doing anything else tiny in the future. Haven't thought about backing but should have something I can use. Or I'll piece it.

And then I remembered the cat was supposed to go to the vet for her depo shot today. Ooops. I really have lost track of things this summer. Tomorrow I likely won't get any sewing in, she is re-scheduled for the afternoon. I am trying to get my kitchen rugs clean(ish) and spent today soaking and rinsing one in the utility sink. DH didn't understand why I wanted one, but he has actually used it more than me. Tomorrow when I have time I'll try to get it rinsed better and set out to dry.

Our two boxes of hobby supplies arrived within minutes of each other. More stuff to play with.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A laundry tub is one of the few things I've always wished our house had. And a broom closet. And a 20x30 sewing room.

I'm still figuring out the spool pattern I have. It uses mitering for the sides of the spool tops instead of separate HSTs. The instructions leave a lot to be desired, so I'm going to do some practice pieces. Sometimes doing is more informative than just reading. Pinterest let me down on this one, since all I can find are instructions for the HST pattern.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah ha! I think I figured it out. It looks basically the same as the inside corners on my Lone Star, just leaving the seam allowances unstitched so the miter can be stitched neatly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today's block, #3, is done and attached. It behaved nicely, no ripping required.

I tried fixing the TV Husby broke a couple days ago. I didn't think I could fix it, and I couldn't, but nothing to lose. Luckily it was the TV we got at a garage sale for $3 a few yrs ago. It worked fine, but didn't have a remote, and there was no replacement. We bought it for the garage so didn't really need a remote, but Husby wanted it somewhere else. At least he can replace it with CC cashback. We have a little B&W analog TV in the garage now and I think we'll stick with that. We don't use it much and when we do, we're just listening, not really watching, plus it doesn't mind being frozen like new TVs do, so we don't have to move it and store it inside over winter. Can't complain. Much.

The electric weed whacker broke too. Luckily it only needs a $3 part. Husby ordered 6 of them because apparently they're known to break periodically. He's using the gas brusher instead, till the parts get here. He couldn't get it started but researched online and got it going. He's getting better at that.

Today I'm going to rest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going to go through my fabric and see what is there. Dgd wants me to make her and her sister matching dresses. I was thinking maybe a t-shirt dress. She can pick the skirt fabric and I'll get t-shirts to match. Might even make one for myself. Also going to see what I have to make some table runners, coasters, place mats for Christmas. Not sure if I want to do a Christmas theme or just use up fabric I have. I may make some aprons for myself and dgd. She's really wanting to cook and she'd love to have an apron. I use to wear one when we were first married. I think I just outgrew them and never made any new ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had a stash management triumph last night. Five or six years ago I bought a DMC lot on eBay because the price was really good. It was well worth it, but included an astonishing amount of 300 colors, especially the 350s and similar rust/brownish colors. It makes me think there was a big project unfinished, like a tablecloth. Some of the dye lots were a bit off too. I just chucked them in a ziplock and put off dealing with them until last night. I got it all on key tags, discarded a few for color mismatch. Now I just need to press them to get the bobbin links out and it is done. It took several hours but it feels great to finally have that sorted.

After that I need to go through all the rest of DMC floss, marking tags that have extra in skein floss and putting the few I was out of and bought more on their tags, but that won’t take too long. At that point, the DMC will be really and truly finished. For years this didn’t matter much, but now that I’m using CXC and Royal as well it does. The floss has been descending into chaos. I’ve decided that getting it all properly sorted and labeled is #1 priority for the fall. That’s also accounting for a lot of the mess on my worktable. After the DMC is completely squared away, I’ll start transferring the CXC to key tags. I’m buying a LOT of key tags, but I really love the system. It’s worth the time and cost to get it all set up that way. It’s one small part of life I can actually control

The raven now has two feet. Progress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Whew, first rug is finished and drying in the grass. I have always wanted a basement door to the back yard. It makes no sense to haul something up the stairs across the house, down the back stairs into the yard to dry. Now I know why there is no laundry line in the yard. #poorhomedesign

Cat is hiding in my sewing room, behind a stack of tubs, under a book shelf in the corner. Sigh. I don't want to traumatize her, but she does this....

Jetts, christmas sewing and aprons sound like fun. There are so many fancy apron patterns now.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on the rose garden stash laprug. (Rose Garden is the colorway of the simply soft yarn.) Once I have that done, it will use up a little bit of the stash. Not much but it's a start. I'd work on the vamp afgan but it's still humid despite the cooler temps. And it's looking like ordering the two extra skeins was a good thing.

I'll have to go through some of my other yarn once the lapgan is done. Not sure if I'll do a full afgan or a lapgan, though. Looks like it'll be a 'rag-bag' type where I'll just use what I have on hand. The local Michael's is open again, although I haven't stopped in to see what the yarn stock is like. Then again, I do want to use up some of the partial skeins I've had for years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have seen worse on poor home design.

When we were looking for a home years ago a real estate agent showed us a real head scratcher.

They put the kitchen in the basement. The dining room was on the first floor.

It was a great deal, almost cheap enough to buy and relocate the kitchen. However the neighborhood had some ridiculously steep hills. That was a deal killer for me.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Happy happy happy dance! I gave yesterday to the stash and after I press a few colors and put them on a ring, the DMC is done! I got out a bin for my cubby book shelf, and it all fits in that. Much more compact than the bobbin boxes. I’ll evict a few of the books and it will have a permanent home, out of the dust and light. CXC is going to take a lot longer. The DMC was already almost done, but it makes me feel like I’m on a roll now. I’ll do a little on it today, but mostly I’m going back to stitching.

I collected a great retirement library, but I’m so into the cross stitch I’ve completely stopped reading during the day and fallen into the very bad habit of watching YouTube before bed instead of reading. It’s too fatally easy to watch one more. Then just one more ... but since I have to empty one of the bookcase slots, I might as well read those and reform my life in the process - lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    When we were looking for a home years ago a real estate agent showed us a real head scratcher.

They put the kitchen in the basement. The dining room was on the first floor.
    Was it, by chance, from the era when people had "help" who came in the back door and did the cooking and cleaning?

Way to go DC! That's a big accomplishment. Enjoy the rest of your day.

I'm going to venture into the basement and see what organizing can be done. DH still doesn't 'get it' that the new cabinets are coming in 2 weeks and everything has to be moved again.

Use it up, Wear it out,