2020 Stash Management - Page 2
Page 2 of 182 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This was taken yesterday, the final 4 blocks for the quilt. I had plenty of squares left and only cut a few to make it work without too many duplicates.

2020 Stash Management-dscn1399.jpg

I have to say, it is coming out much more 'brown' than I had planned.

Now on to 2020.

I'm going to continue with my plan of primarily using stash and buying only supplies needed to finish other projects. For example, batting and backing to finish current quilt tops. Tools and notions (thread, cutting blades, zippers, interfacing, etc.) don't count. I have a $25 allowance for quilt shows, but I want to cut back on spending there. Luckily most shows won't be until fall.

My big goal for this year is to clear up the clutter on the floor. There's a pile under the ironing board:

2020 Stash Management-dscn1394.jpg

And right next to that is a pile under the serger table:

2020 Stash Management-dscn1395.jpg

The pile between my sewing table and the closet:

2020 Stash Management-dscn1396.jpg

And while I'm at it, this should get cleaned up:

2020 Stash Management-dscn1397.jpg

There's an armchair under that.

So, immediate plans are:

-- start assembly on the pinwheels
    -- quilt it

-- quilt the old christmas quilt

-- dragon quilt

-- make a couple baby/kid size donation tops for the guild

-- continue working on blue twin size donation quilt

-- other small projects in between
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds ambitious, CH. But I know you can do it.

Have you thought about putting the ironing board on top of a cabinet? You'd gain a lot of storage without giving up any floor space, assuming the ironing is always set up anyway.

The dog food is done. I figured out how to bungee the door panel back in the gh, just have to do it. Shouldn't take long. I'm waiting for the panel to defrost, since it's full of ice and snow. It won't be pretty but should keep most of the snow out till we can do a real repair in the spring. The gh isn't completely waterproof anyway and stuff is always stored in there with that in mind, so nothing should get damaged.

Husby is procrastinating about sewing. I'm not surprised. Then again, I'm procrastinating about sewing, too. And fixing the gh.

He's still talking about moving to Duluth. It's tempting, but our COL would be so much higher there than GR. I think we'll be taking the camper to Duluth in the spring so we can do further research.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, that's an idea... but for me it's more about getting rid of clutter on the floor than it is about finding space.

I think I will start with a baby quilt. That will get some clutter used up without being a huge mess, and I may get it done before the next guild meeting in 2 weeks.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know what you mean about getting rid of clutter, but is there any such thing as too much storage? 😄

Husby had his first sewing lesson. He did pretty well. He's getting the hang of the 1/4" seam. He's also learning the quilting ruler and rotary cutter. If he can master those 3 things, there are infinite things he can make even if he never learns anything else. And binding.

Anyone who likes 70s rock music, CNN has a special at 8 CT about Linda Ronstadt. We've been looking forward to it for days. Hard to believe Linda Ronstadt thought she wasn't a very good singer. She had such a beautiful, powerful voice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I looked back through my last post to see what I had said, and from it’s overall illiteracy and incomprehensibility it looks like I did a lot too much celebrating last night and killed off a bunch of still functioning brain cells. I didn’t. Honest. Nothing to drink but iced tea and I sat quietly in my chair all evening messing about on the phone. Hardly a rip roaring new year’s eve. Probably just a bad case of morning.

The rain is finally starting here, and it’s cold. Nonetheless the metaphorical sun is shining brightly because our friend was thrilled to have the yarn and took all of it. Another thing scratched off my ought-to-do list and a lot of storage volume moved out. Everyone wins!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had no trouble understanding your post, D. We all have those days!

I found another fun-looking quilt.
    2020 Stash Management-0e75c6f9f71687c595eb8f35d798768c_1577921590127.jpg
    It looks simple. Unless I can find a source for scraps, I probably will never make most of this stuff. But a girl can dream.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It would be great to have too much storage space. Unfortunately the ironing board is in front of an arm chair and some tubs of fabric, which is in front of the book shelves. So I'm like 3 deep, plus crap on the floor. It's got to go.

I need to decide what I'm not buying on our trip this weekend.

On the positive side, I'm accepting that none of my pre-RA shoes will ever fit me again. I have some nice leather pumps and boots that I have held on to hoping that once the surgical swelling was down I could wear again. Nope. My feet will never be that size. So I am taking the box to dance class later this month or next and giving them away. One more box of stuff gone.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aw, sorry about the 3 deep crap and the shoes. Can you put the armchair somewhere else?

We're enjoying the last hrs of our junk food extravaganza. Time to hit the TM tomorrow, and start tracking and eating right. I need to either lose 25 lbs this yr or finally admit I'm just lying to myself and everyone else about wanting to. 25 lbs would be less than ˝ lb per week. If I can't do that little bit, it'll just be pathetic. I've been into the salty stuff a lot lately, so I expect a good first week if I behave even a little bit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Who's going to start the diet thread? I saw a funny one today, "My goal this year was to lose 10lbs and I only have 15 left to go!" And "I've accepted the fact that I'll never be my original weight of 7.5 lbs again. " Seriously though, I haven't been to yoga since October, I think.

Anyway, on the subject of amazing things you can do with simple geometric shapes, check out these animal quilts. Janet Fogg Quilt Patterns for Sale | Janet Fogg Those are some really clever designs.

I'm not sad about the shoes. I haven't worn them in many years. It will be good to have the space back. I'm excited about sewing tomorrow, too. Being in the sewing room will give me ideas on how to use up or rearrange stuff. We're supposed to have sun again, so it will be a good day to get some more stitching in. I want to work on that for a few more days.

The armchair was supposed to be in the bedroom, but DH said it took up too much space. So it's in the sewing room taking up space. I don't mind it being there, but I'd like to be able to sit in it.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like those animal quilts. Very different.

I'm excited to get back on WW tomorrow. It's time. I've been feeling lousy and my knees hurt. Eating right and losing even a few pounds will help.

The biopic about Linda Ronstadt is really good. What a life she's led. Fascinating.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

She had an amazing voice, and some really heartbreaking songs.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the threads look nice! honestly don't make many firm plans.. life keeps changing a lot here. maybe now that dh parents are gone and things are settled ..ashes were done yesterday. last time we said it is our year mil went off the rails a day later ..3yrs later so make plans but not set in stone. have to say reduced stress makes me not want to buy as much craft stuff. though the fact that the yarn coming out doesn't appeal to me lol

still declutter, making crafting space, fix the sewing machine! learn to sew again. want to make barbie clothes too. ugh need new laptop type and it jumps around so have to fix spelling. still have my list of projects to crochet too! finish some wips. have a long list of things on project list. giving 2 hats as house gifts w ds. need to build a stash of gifts again. on my 3rd hat from caron cake zucchini colour retro browns and greens. making easy hats for guys. they don't want kitty kat hats. here is one of them. is more nicer brown then pic shows.
    2020 Stash Management-zucchat.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    This was taken yesterday, the final 4 blocks for the quilt. I had plenty of squares left and only cut a few to make it work without too many duplicates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1399.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	50047

I have to say, it is coming out much more 'brown' than I had planned.

Now on to 2020.

I'm going to continue with my plan of primarily using stash and buying only supplies needed to finish other projects. For example, batting and backing to finish current quilt tops. Tools and notions (thread, cutting blades, zippers, interfacing, etc.) don't count. I have a $25 allowance for quilt shows, but I want to cut back on spending there. Luckily most shows won't be until fall.

My big goal for this year is to clear up the clutter on the floor. There's a pile under the ironing board:

Name:	DSCN1394.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	50049

And right next to that is a pile under the serger table:

Name:	DSCN1395.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	50051

The pile between my sewing table and the closet:

Name:	DSCN1396.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	50053

And while I'm at it, this should get cleaned up:

Name:	DSCN1397.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	50055

There's an armchair under that.

So, immediate plans are:

-- start assembly on the pinwheels
    -- quilt it

-- quilt the old christmas quilt

-- dragon quilt

-- make a couple baby/kid size donation tops for the guild

-- continue working on blue twin size donation quilt

-- other small projects in between
    maybe a old tv cabinet or cupboard to store it all in would up. you can hide a lot lol I know...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love repurposed TV cabinets! We have 6 or 7 we bought for storing various things. The key thing in my sewing room though is a large bookcase I bought 3 yrs ago. It's made such a huge difference in how my sewing room functions. But it can be hard to find room for big pieces of furniture. We got rid of lots of old furniture at the same time we bought our entertainment centers, and let go of lots of storage that didn't work as well. They were so easy to find at that time we were able to pick and choose the sizes we needed for our spaces and for the items we needed to store, and for quality. We only bought the good stuff. These cabinets are getting HTF now, at least around here, and they're more expensive now, too. We paid $10 for most of ours. We can't buy a sheet of plywood fot that.

I have an oversized shoebox full of Hawaii fabric Maui Magic sent me yrs ago. The prints are mostly big but the colors are bright, so I think I could maybe use that to make the quilt in my pic above. I wonder if I could get enough to make a queen size square for just the top of the bed and use sashing for the drop. I have no idea how to estimate how many 2.5" squares a pile of scraps will make. I'm sure I would have to buy more but maybe not too much. I think I would have to use a dark color for the plain parts, maybe black. Something to think about. I think the finished blocks are 16" square and would work well as a quick quilt, where the blocks, batting, and backing are all assembled at once. I might have to speed up the current quilt WIP so I can start this one.

The show about Linda Ronstadt was very well done. Kinda sad at the end, but fascinating to learn about her early life and events that shaped her career. She paved the way for many female superstars who followed, and yet she still seems so down to earth and humble. The show reruns Saturday night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Decided to go through all my yarn and separate out all the wool. I started making a hat yesterday then found the label on the inside, it was wool. Not gonna make charity hats out of that, it will wind up with someone throwing in the w/d and it shrinks down to an elf hat. Might try to sell the wool yarn on Etsy or ebay. I got it all secondhand (but not used).
    Make America Kind Again.

Page 2 of 182 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast