2020 Stash Management - Page 35
Page 35 of 60 FirstFirst ... 253233343536373845 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Five shields, etc.

We ran errands. Our first stop was for recycling and something smelled hot on the van. Uh-oh. Stopped at the dealer where the mechanic determined it's probably a brake caliper not releasing correctly. That will go back for adjustment next week. Glad we didn't take it out of town on a long trip. So we're down to one car again, which should be enough.

We scored a few little things at thrift. I've been looking for a small rice cooker for the camper, and there it was, everything I was looking for, $5. I was hoping for less but it's LN so not I'm gonna complain. It missing the little plastic cup which I wouldn't use anyway and the rice paddle but I have spares, so it's all good. Amazon gets $23 for the cooker but no way would I spend that for something I might use 3 times a yr.

I got a nice set of DPNs, about size 14, for $1, in case I want to knot something with big stitches in the round.

I also picked up 3 Atlas Mason repro canning jars, $1 for all, just because I like Atlas jars. I have quite a few that are very old. These are all the same but different from all the ones I had.

I stumbled on two finch feeders on the way to the checkout, the tube variety. One was the cheap style, all plastic, which sells for about $10 retail. It was never used and marked $1. The other was not marked, clearly used, but very little. And it's a Droll Yankees feeder! I knew it was expensive, because we have one just like it except twice as long. The clerk said it also was $1. Yes, please! I looked it up when we got home. Amazon has it for $27, it's clearly the deal of the day. But the smile of the day was when we stopped at Mom's on our way out of town and gave Mom one of the feeders. Her squirrels ruined hers, and she was lamenting a couple weeks ago she missed her finches. She was so happy to get a new feeder. I wouldn't be surprised if she had it filled and hanging out on the post before we hit city limits.

I should have had Husby push the grocery carts because I'm paying for that now. I'm just used to doing things myself even if I'm having a little pain, I didn't even think about it.

We're discussing what we need to do in case the coronavirus becomes a pandemic, which is looking likely. Experts (not pundits, talk show hosts, fear mongers, or nut jobs) are saying there's no need to do anything drastic at this time, but to be thinking about what we might need to do should it become necessary to shut down schools and other plublic places, at which time we may need to restrict our own shopping and travel. We're quite well set for food for several weeks if need be. I bought an extra case of tomatoes and looked through freezers to see if we had plenty of protein, which we do, and bought a pork roast for no particular reason. We're not buying food we wouldn't normally keep on hand. We have canned goods to last quite a while, and will pick up more cat food when we go to Duluth next week. Meds are somewhat of a worry, since that supply chain is already disrupted, but I haven't heard of any shortages yet. My big worry is Mom. We will be watching this situation closely. Just saw a news report the scammers are already out doing their dirty work. I hate predators and liars. I hope we all stay safe and well informed with factual information.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The DPNs are for knitting, not knotting. Ugh.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's lovely and sunny this afternoon (and very cold). And I am feeling worn out after yoga and packing more boxes. DH wants to be done by the end of the month. The big stuff and books are mostly boxed up. I'm sorting through lots of small items, and some odd bulky things. My chemo drugs are wearing off and I can feel it.

Yesterday I did a side panel for the blue quilt and got the two of them sewn to the center. I had forgotten that the center was not quite done, the four corners were not in yet. So I got to mess around with partial seams and wrestling a large piece of quilt in a small space.

This is looking at the quilt sideways. The top and bottom panels will go on either side of this.

2020 Stash Management-dscn1474.jpg

SD, sounds like you got some good deals while shopping. Hope you get some rest and let your shoulder heal. You must have some good books you've been waiting to read.

Agree that people should be paying attention to reliable sources when it comes to the COVID news. Fear sells newspapers. Media outlets will stretch the truth when it comes to making money off people's ignorance and fear. There was a lot of panic over AIDS, MERS, SARS, and Zika, and we're all still here. There are very few confirmed cases in the US, and no deaths to date.
    Last edited by Contrary Housewife; 02-26-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The quilt is looking good. I hope you can make your goal with the packing, and that you feel better. Sounds like you need to be careful not to overdo, too.

Do you have any good tips for mixing blocks so I can pick them out at random? I've tried various ways of mixing them but they stick to each other. I have them in nice little stacks since my storage is so limited, so maybe it's better not to unstack them. Maybe I can just 'cut' the stacks like a deck of cards, and the square on top the cut is the next square used.

I've been mostly worthless this afternoon. I was going to stitch but fell asleep in the sedative instead. But I'm going to dig out a smaller hoop and try again later. I've been using a bigger one but the cat likes to sit on me. That means I have to hold the hoop in an uncomfortable position. Hope the smaller one works better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks ren.. just the reg allergy attacks at this time of year. means spring is coming! more flowers on schedule. and makes me scatterbrained more then usual.. started writing this..got up for some reason.. realized plants still needed watering did that spilled so tea towel, check to see if parsley was going to regrow whole dead top came off and little bugs I spied crawling so out it went and soil dumped over front porch.. cat in ... crow waiting for more food though had been fed a couple times today. so put out more..cat food since no more leftovers. cat out ..where are my glasses looked around outside on the chair. another cat woke up threw toy for him and he decided to go out w other cat. not at the same time of course. noticing that always cat hair and dust no matter now much you clean lol plants beside dvd player so took disc out and put in library bag. took dishes to kitchen..sat down and now where are the glasses..on buffet.. hit rewind on the pvr cus I have a hallmark mystery playing. ..20mins later... writing again! why I don't do much crafting lol screw up little things.

awesome deals spirited! and makes your mom happy too win win.

re the virus it is cold and flu season so all the reg things you do like hand washing, disinfecting etc is good. elderly sick etc always affected by bugs. that started fil downhill slide when he was sick w cancer. I can tell when my kids got older fb memories of this time of year sick sick sick.. thankfully teens don't climb over you or touch everything.

just puttering and in spring clean mode . staying home really helps to get thing done. housework, laundry reorg stuff downstairs since ds had half day and his friends are over playing d n d. overflowing thrift box, added two shirts I am done with..one is always really wrinkled coming out of dryer so not wearable out of house and not a dress shirt so can't be bothered. putting together books for free libraries too. just have too many used I got cheap but won't be reading. did order some of the retro style dresses again since there was a sale and 25% on top of it. one for dd for xmas next year vintage kitten xmas print. costs the same as the fabric or less. this is one I got for spring. popped an allergy pill so will be done soon.

https://www.cherryvelvetplus.com/col...e-floral-dress

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I "cut" and "shuffle" my stacks. They come out of the Go Cutter in stacks of 2-4 pieces of each color, sometimes more depending on how big my scraps are. I lay them out in descending layers as they get cut. Then I just go through and pick up each mini stack (the ones sticking together) in turn. Two red, four blue, three orange, two green, etc until I have them all piled up.

Then, when I add new fabric I randomly cut the stack and put 2-4 pieces in at a time.

If I am cutting a bunch of new prints I may make a whole new stack, then as I sew I alternate pulling from them. Then whatever is left gets shuffled in for next time.

If I hit a spot were, say, I have 6 green in the stack I may sew 2-3 of them then move the rest to the bottom for later.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy I think I envision what you are saying, should be interesting, this is going to go over some existing fabric? More of a design element?
    Another thing for my "to do" list is pouring new candles from all the old candle stubs/wax I have saved - 3 sandwich baggies full. I think I will buy some of the small paper bathroom cups for molds. I have wick material already (don't recall why.)
    Hubby was talking about the virus/es today. He bought masks several weeks ago and handed me one to take to the movie theatre. I pointed out we didn't have to go, it was optional (free senior movie). Tonight he was going on how movie was so much nicer on big screen (vs at home TV). Impossible to predict what will make him happy vs not. I got my reserved book from the library. Started quilting the latest top but not feeling motivated. I finished binding the other one last night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, CH. I've been stacking my squares with all the same ones more or less together, so will have to do more mixing.

The first case of covid-19 with no obvious connections has now been found in rural California, which is a bad sign. I keep thinking about my mom, who was struck by polio out of nowhere. Nobody she knew had it, nobody in the area where she lived in a tiny rural town, she had not traveled anywhere. Officials never did figure out how she got it. Weird and scary. The Salk vaccine had not yet been developed, so there was no protection for anyone then, like corona now. I hope coronavirus does not develop into the disaster polio was, but it's very concerning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, saw the news last night. It was confirmed last week that the virus is airborne in China and can stay alive anywhere from hours to a week on surfaces, just like the flu. In happier news, vaccine testing has begun on hospitalized patients. I'm sorry about your mother. Life really could be awful in those days before modern medicine. It makes me angry when people won't vaccinate and then spread disease to others.

Got the new JA flyer, nothing in it that excites me, but I can use the coupons. I want some stuff for making pot holders, and I want to look at their selection of red fabric for my quilt border. I have nothing in a large enough quantity to do the job.

Our maple trees are blooming and are covered in bright pink flowers. It's so pretty in the morning sunlight.

Dlr, I make candles out of leftover wax too. I used to re-use the small glass candle jars, but a couple years ago I bit the bullet and bought a set of metal votive molds at HL. For some reason I haven't burned a lot of candles this year. I've only got 3 "dead" ones, and in different colors so I won't combine them.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you. Feeling better today. dlr, you are about an hour and a half from me. one of my son's works in Ashburn.

got 2 of the doll diapers sewn. Need to make them smaller. still too big for her dolls. got her totebag finished too. still more to cut out and do. today looks like I will be heading to the music store with a friend to help pick out some appropriate music for her DD to learn to play on the piano. ( really glad last week is finished up, I had so much on my plate music wise)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have my table and I love it! The one Iíve been using is really an outdoor table with a woven top thatís kind of springy. Itís nice to be able to set a cup or glass down without using a hard coaster. Little things make me happy. Stylish itís not, but Iíve always been much more interested in functionality.

As for the virus, if I die from it, I die. For prep I need to be working out a scheme for taking my cross stitch with me - lol. Iím having way too much fun with it right now to quit. Seriously, Iíll just keep an eye on how itís playing out.

My order with the extra thread for the sheep is coming tomorrow. I donít need any of it yet, but will want to sort it. Itís a lot of floss. So I think Iíll work on the dragon again today and then switch to full sheep mode tomorrow. I got less done than I expected yesterday because I napped through a chunk of the gloomy windy day. Iíve been going to bed later than usual and getting up at the same time or earlier, so Iím felled by a substantial nap in the afternoon. It seems to work out in the end though. Iíve always been a night person, and living alone donít have to adjust my schedule to anyone elseís.

I didnít tackle the stitching chaos after I got the table yesterday so thatís on the agenda today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The floss came today - a neighbor just brought it in to me. I guess the mail hadn’t come yet when I checked mid-afternoon.

But no playing with floss tonight. When one of them was putting my table together he asked if I could hem his new scrubs. He’s starting a new position in the hospital that requires a different color and he suddenly realized he had to have them Monday. He asked hopefully “You have a sewing machine?” Sigh, yes. Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy to help but -ick- sewing machine. I considered hand hemming and may yet, but for this the machine will be better. Problem is I haven’t done a blind hem on the machine for years, or more likely decades. I pulled out the manual and looked at the instructions. I remember it isn’t hard once you get it, but the pictures are confusing. I may be spending some quality time on YouTube. I’ve been wanting to make some napkins so I can maybe practice on that first. Machine sewn blind hem napkins. Talk about overkill!

All the pretty colors I will have to use a lot of, all but three skeins of a light green that are back ordered. These are just the ones that will need multiple skeins. There are lots of other pretty ones too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Stash Management-fa0e7c0e-3713-4767-b652-bb90897162ff.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Beautiful colors, DC. Have fun with them.

Knotme, glad to hear you are feeling better.

I went to JA today and was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying Insul-Bright in the store. The clerk pointed me to another product that didn't look like it could hold up to a warm coffee cup, let alone a 450 degree casserole dish fresh out of the oven. I was so put off by that I completely forgot to get the red fabric for my quilt and had to turn around and go back for it. Then I went to HL, where I bought 2 yards of Insul-Bright. All the yardage in the fabric dept is 40% off this week. And they are re-arranging the entire store, it was so confusing. I was good, got my stuff and left without buying anything else, not even the spring clearance yardage at $3/yd.

I needed to stop in a different area of town, so I ended up at Michael's too. Was hoping for some Valentine's clearance, but they were pretty cleared out. Not a lot of clearance in general at that location. Got two storage tubs, though, one plastic, one floral cardboard.

I'm at the "just throw it all in a box" stage of basement packing. DH said he moved out everything that was boxed up but I just looked and counted more than 8 boxes still down there. And blocking stuff I haven't packed. If he can move some of it tonight I might be able to get to the last of the books tomorrow.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still thinking about preps for an extended lack of shopping. We're not preppers so I'm not going to do anything crazy and buy stuff we don't normally use, but I did think of some more ways to get ready. Mostly just filling in holes where we're getting a bit low, like cat food. I might order some more powdered eggs and freeze some milk, too. And of course, buy a huge extra bale of Aldi toilet paper. Can't run out of that!

It sounds like they're 12 to 18 months from a vaccine for the general public. Japan and Iran have now closed schools. Imagine the chaos. If this keeps up, it will have an enormous impact on the global economy.

Also heard today covid-19 can infect dogs. Now I have them to worry about, too.

I can't even with the antivax crowd.

D, if you figure out how to take your cross stitch stuff with, let me know. Of course, I would need a much bigger trailer for my sewing stuff.

I decided I can do 3 or 4 different steps and work with at least 15 shields per day. Different steps require different motions, so not so much repetition on any one step. I will still only be getting 5 completed, but since my shoulder seems better, I can live with it. Maybe I can bump it to 10 when I'm all healed. I'm starting to like breaking up the various tasks. Less boring and less painful. I still like sewing and trimming the side seams on all 25 at once, but that's easy stuff and doing that works nicely for working with runs of 5 after that step.

I tried my new round folding hamper as a basket to toss DfG bags in as I got the labels sewed on today, and just love it. Two bucks well spent! At first I was a little disappointed I had found two different styles of folding hampers and they weren't matchy, but now I'm liking eack of them for different reasons, so I'm happy they're not the same.

Today, shields, blah, blah, blah. Also 14 or 15 labels sewed on bags. I'll set up runs of six tomorrow and get started sewing those.

I finally got back to stitching backstitching. Yeah, I said it. I pretty much just have the thread rack, scissors, and sewing machine left to do.2020 Stash Management-20200227_200412_1582858310150.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That’s looking great, SD.

I am still at square one on the hemming. I dutifully watched a couple of short YouTube videos to see the fold in real life, and one warned it wouldn’t work unless the legs were straight. That makes sense and the scrubs have flared legs. He didn’t want me to cut them, just fold up and hem them that way, but that’s making a wide hem with lots of extra fabric to ease into the hem. I’ll have him come over tomorrow, show him the problem, and explain I really need to cut them for a narrower hem and do it by hand. I had already pulled the sewing machine out though so it looks like I tried.

On the upside, I got to cross stitch tonight.

Page 35 of 60 FirstFirst ... 253233343536373845 ... LastLast