2020 Stash Management - Page 40
Page 40 of 60 FirstFirst ... 303738394041424350 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby has decided I need a set of 5 rectangular hoops.

The cutter has a label and a tracking number. I think he said it's supposed to be here Thursday. I might have to go to HL tomorrow for something to cut up.

I can't ever remember such an interesting election night. It's incredible. And fascinating.

I'm working on more boring lines on northwoods. Once the next 3 sections get their little borders, I can start the 2 trees and then Moosie.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks bad part of allergy season is almost over ..saying this as I just popped another pill. I think either of the fabrics would look nice but maybe a solid would balance out the rest of it. spirit hubby is the same way always a set of bits lol but wouldn't order anything unless I said exactly this or that. same w tools and him. think the cross stitch is coming out cute.

I think if you put soft colours like the silver grey or some mossy greens etc w the black and white it would look nice.. a purple maybe.

neat idea for a yarn library but think here it people would just take it all in one shot unless it was under lock and key or in a store.

haven't done much though someone posted caron anniversary cakes coming out lol 1600 yards.. have a $25 michaels gift card that would almost cover it when it comes out. today the a/c people were later then planned so were here all day but at least we have central air for the coming season. was a cold day !! rain too so house was cold..turned the heat up when it was finished. very nice guys. just has been errands and work.. mon work and scouts visit to animal shelter so stopped at grocery store out that way .. people here are starting the well if everyone else is stocking up maybe I should... so no tp etc. not what I was going for lol can't see not having at least a few weeks tp in the house!! and at least some food. and as they say wash your hands good !!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're going tomorrow to get our covid-19 stocks. We don't need a whole lot, just some extra things of stuff we normally buy. Basically we're filling in some holes. After tomorrow, we plan to minimize leaving home. Once testing ramps up, I expect a major uptick in cases and then we won't want to go anywhere.

More progress on the little dividers on northwoods, so tomorrow I should be able to start on something more interesting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

martha - yeah, the yarn library does empty on a daily basis. But it sounds like people are starting to offer donations, both in yarn and money. The yarn library is located outside a yarn shop and it does seem to be a way to draw people into the store. Some people have taken yarn from the library and then headed into the store to either ask for help with starting a new project or just to sit and work. Since it sounds like the shop is a higher-end one (small vendor sources, etc.), any foot traffic inside is a good thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! Everyone has been "sew" busy. I wish I had just a bit of motivation. I've started exercising and hoping that will help improve my mood and energy. I still need to clean the sewing room just so I can start sewing again. I have so much fabric and so many ideas, but no desire to do what I need to so I can start. Now with the weather warming up, I know I won't want to be inside much. I think I need to set the timer for 15 minutes again and try to get a little bit done every day. That's how I got the quilt top finished. Also need to make the room off limits for dumping.

Great job on all the projects. I'm so jealous.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jettsmom, I get that too. So many projects and no idea where to start. And sometimes not excited about any of them. Lots to do in the yard this time of year, too.

Not sure what I'll do today. Have the urge to start chopping up the brown fabric I have been collecting all year for a donation quilt, but had to remind myself that I have two unfinished quilts sitting here already. Plus DH really wants me to start on the red dragon quilt sometime soon. And I have another two or three quilt projects of my own to complete before that.

So maybe I'll avoid making a decision by going over to the community garden and getting my membership.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sitting around waiting for vet to call that dog is awake (dental cleaning) and if anything worse than the tartar. Made 2 potholders, need to sew down binding in back. I practiced the miter corners again and these came out much better, I think I know what I did wrong on the quilt binding. Assembled 2 more quilt blocks (in the blue fabrics) so I have 4 12" in that color group. Could make more but undecided so I put fabric scraps away again. Nice outside for yard work but I need to be near the phone......
    These are the fabrics I bought Sunday
    2020 Stash Management-img_1007.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tiny milestones. I passed 1% on the sheep last night! Iíll work on it today and tomorrow. The fabric for the cat is supposed to be here Friday. Iíll work on that a bit and then itís back to the lighthouse. I like rotating them. It gives me new colors to look at.

I got the type of washable ink pen for gridding that the flosstuber I said I liked uses. She assures is in her gridding video that it washes out well. She better be right because itís showing under the orange and I have lighter colors at the top.

SD - I canít use the grime guards on this one - thereís just too much fabric and since Iím in the bottom corner, it all bunches up at the top and right. Are the rectangular frames the white Q Snap kind? The people on the cross stitch groups say to get the real Q Snap brand. The others donít hold the fabric as tightly. I have some. Iím thinking of trying them with the frame, but I didnít like them for hand stitching. They are heavier to hold than a hoop and thicker, so working close to it at the edges of of the picture was more awkward. But thatís just my take on it. Also my hands are on the small side and that may be part of it. Those who like them love them passionately and will fight to the death for them. Lol. One nice thing about them is that the pieces from different sizes are interchangeable like legos, so they give you a lot of flexibility for size and shape.

Weíre afloat again. Last night they were predicting an inch during the day with maybe another quarter inch tonight. Wrong. Weíre already at 1.3 and counting. Flash flood watches out. Sharon had hail at her house in town this morning. She said her dogs went crazy. Our pond has morphed into a lake, as far out if itís banks as I have ever seen it, and thereís more on the way. You can say one thing about climate change - it sure makes the weather exciting.

When I took these photos I forgot to turn the phone sideways - photos from the phone for this site are a pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Stash Management-125e03fb-b9da-4ec0-b651-44b88a60be50.jpg

2020 Stash Management-6e6470d7-ce18-4146-892a-01f21c54d6ce.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - now that youíre cross stitching again....

I saw this gorgeous deer on Etsy yesterday. I have some patterns from this shop and like them. They seem well edited, though I havenít stitched them yet. I was getting pdf versions of the ones I have, since they will work on Pattern Keeper.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5202153...search_1&crt=1

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have made some progress on my latest embroidery. This will be a bit larger that some of my others, so it may take some time to complete. I will try to get some photos taken soon.

I did some tea dyeing of the cheap pearl cotton thread. It turned out about like I expected.

I dyed the last bit of the silk thread - 4 small bits - with some of the ink I used with earlier dyeing. The colors turned out much, much lighter than what I was going for. However, I do think they turned out nice even though they were very different than I was trying for.

I do have some fabric paint I may try on the thread. I am not sure I have any blank thread left. I may try over dyeing some of the cheap pearl cotton.

I also have a bleach dyeing project planned, but we were out of bleach. With bleach dyeing you start with something dark colored or bright colored and lighten it with bleach. I may try that this coming weekend.

I am toying with the idea of getting a batch of the cheap off brand embroidery floss to practice over dyeing and bleach dyeing with. However, the cheap off brand stuff seems to all be from China, so I will not be ordering any of it anytime soon. I often see batches of random embroidery thread on eBay. I think most of it is probably thread stashes left over from people who passed away. It is actually a little more than the ridiculously low priced off branch variety packs. Anyway I am thinking of of getting some.

Not like I don't have enough thread to last a really long time already...
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Eek! Oh no! Floss problems. The CXC floss is working great for the dragon but I may not be able to use it for the b&w cat. When I pulled out 3865 it looked really off, a very pale cream. I checked it against my DMC floss chart, and I was right. A good match for that is what CXC has for 762. So I checked all of them, and most of them are off. Sometimes one is a good match for a different numbered gray, but that leaves a gap for the original number. Grays must just be hard because they seems to be where I find some variation in dmc dye lots. If it were a matter of a few grays among lots of colors, I would just pull the best match and carry on, but for the cat I think I need really accurate colors and sequences. Looks like I will have to use DMC.

The extra grays I just ordered, it was 69 skeins, just came to 10.88, so that’s not an issue, but the DMC is going to be a lot costlier. I can start and probably stitch a lot with what I have, but I’ll need to watch for JA sales or coupons. I got the extra for the sheep online, but I won’t do that again if I can help it. And with all the dark, should I back off to 18 count for the coverage? Then I could use the pale silvery gray. I can always use the 16 white so having ordered it isn’t a problem.

I’m so undecided now that I’m going to defer starting it and give all this a chance to settle. Since I’m psyched up for gray, I think I’ll put the gray owl kit into the rotation. Since it was a Christmas present I need to be able to show that I’m actually working it.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, good luck with your dye experiments. I look forward to seeing your next embroidery.

DC, that's a shame the colors don't match. How annoying, when you are getting excited about starting it.

SD, is it there yet?

Dlr, those are nice prints. The acorns are really cute.

I decided to start by sewing two panels of the blue quilt together, then sewed them onto the other blue section. So, 5 out of 7 sections assembled. I have to make ~10 more blocks for the final panel. While doing that I decided to pack up the remaining brown fabrics I bought for the next large donation quilt and put them out of sight for now. AFAIK neither of the previous twin size quilts I donated has been completed. I know it takes a while, and these are volunteers, but I'm not making a 4th until I confirm that the others are getting to the veterans housing program. Maybe I'm sewing too fast for the ladies who do the quilting. I have time to wait.

So I worked on the yellow and purple baby quilt, it's about half assembled. No hurry there, either. The next quilt bee is on the 16th, but guess who will be at the dentist? It's just as well, if they're going to have the entire guild there, there won't be a place for me to sit, like last time.

We will see what tomorrow brings.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    martha - yeah, the yarn library does empty on a daily basis. But it sounds like people are starting to offer donations, both in yarn and money. The yarn library is located outside a yarn shop and it does seem to be a way to draw people into the store. Some people have taken yarn from the library and then headed into the store to either ask for help with starting a new project or just to sit and work. Since it sounds like the shop is a higher-end one (small vendor sources, etc.), any foot traffic inside is a good thing.
    that is good at least. though can be more costly if they go though a lot of yarn. but hey always something to try ...wish they had one here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, nice choices on the fabric, especially the shamrocks.

D, the frames are these, not Qsnap: Caydo 5 Pieces ABS Plastic Embroidery Hoops Set, 5 Inch 6 Inch 10 Inch 12 Inch 15 Inch (5 Color) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VWJCZTZ..._qqpyEbB2DNS76
    It's the set I was most interested in when I looked, but didn't want to spend $16. But Husby wants them, and I'm sure they they will get used at times. What I found is a hoop really aggravates my arm because I have to hold up the weight of the fabric and also move it around a lot more than not using a hoop, so it's just not working.

Remember when I said we did not need a truckload of stockup? Hahahahahahahaha! We came home with a literal truckload. In our defense, we hadn't done a major shop since last fall, and we also bought some cases of things we found extra cheap, which we would have bought on a normal day.

Tried 3 places, all sold out of hand sanitizer, but found it fully stocked at Dollar Tree. Otherwise, we had no problem finding everything we needed.

More later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dog's dental bill was high (2 extractions - poor guy) so sticking to small projects w/ stuff on hand. I finished 1 potholder yesterday. Reminds me I want to make a cake/pie round-shaped carrier w/ handles.
    I also lined the brim of a straw hat (sort of like baseball cap) because the straw weave didn't block the sun. Hand sewing. That should work much better, I liked the hat otherwise.

Page 40 of 60 FirstFirst ... 303738394041424350 ... LastLast