2020 Stash Management - Page 48
Page 48 of 162 FirstFirst ... 38454647484950515898148 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Heard an expert adress this morning something I've been wondering about. Why is 2 or 3 weeks the magic number for shutting something down? I get why self-isolation (different from quarantine) should be 2 wks, but not shutdowns. This person said 6 months might be more like it if we really want to interrupt the transmission rate. If that happens, our economy will be decimated. So many sectors have already had massive losses.

I made soup this morning that only required me to open some cans, mix it up, portion it into bowls, and clean up the minimal mess. Even that little bit hurts my arm. I thought it was getting better. I think Husby will have to start cooking.
    There has to be some kind of balance. Financial hardship, social isolation, the cancelling of events or vacations people were looking forward to. Job stress for people whose jobs are directly effected by this. Not to mention media constantly telling us how very afraid we should be. This whole situation can easily trigger anxiety and depression. Anxiety and depression are very real and serious issues, especially people who have them at the more serious levels. In addition, most - possibly all -medical conditions get worse when someone is under stress. Extreme stress can trigger things like strokes or heart attacks. Psychological issues that are kept at a manageable level can get worse under stress.

The stockpiling is problematic as well. I understand how it makes people feel more secure. But there are issues now with people who are out of toilet paper and not able to buy any because too many people have bought huge quantities of it. This shortage in not caused by virus, but rather people's reaction to it.

I understand that the virus is a serious thing. But we need to make sure the solutions are not worse than the problem. Shutting down for two weeks could be bearable. But even for an introvert like me, getting sick for two weeks is preferable to six months of isolation.

Right now - completely serious about this - I feel like I am in much more danger of having a mental breakdown than dying of this virus.

In addition to all the articles telling us how to protect ourselves from the virus, we need articles telling us how better to cope emotionally with this. We need to double down on our efforts to do things that are fun and relaxing to keep up our mental health.

Right now I am thinking maybe dipping freshly made chocolate cookies directly into a tub of cool whip while binge watching shows about baby animals. Maybe I will come up with some slightly healthier feel good things later.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good quality scissors can be sharpened, and if cared for correctly, should last a lifetime.

Why not post your frugal embroidery and see what the response is? If it's negative, then maybe they're just not the right group for you.

I sometimes wonder if I should include new items I bought yrs ago as part of the cost of a project. I suppose technically I should. Like the PVC pipe I bought 15 yrs ago to make a hoop frame for the roof of the motor home to help keep snow off. The moho is long gone now and it's too late to return the PVC and fittings. If I don't use it for other projects, not only is the money spent on the PVC a waste, but in many instances I would have to buy different materials to make the project. Like the platform I just made for my luggage cart.
    2020 Stash Management-20200219_120638_1584116114824.jpg
    I count this project as costing $1 because I had to buy 4 fittings for the corners, but the other fittings and PVC were already counted as expenses for another project. I think people can make up their own minds how to calculate costs. Although I will admit I find it annoying when people buy a $5 item for 99 cents on eBay and brag about their great deal while neglecting to mention the $20 they paid for shipping. That, I don't get. Still, it's none of my business.

Gotta stitch. Wanna finish up the moose.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I bought a modest amount, one large pack, of toilet paper last week. I added another smaller package to the grocery list but will be surprised if it turns up. I’ve bought no wipes, sanitizers, and such. Holed up here in my house and not going out it doesn’t seem necessary. On the order I allowed substitutions for everything. It will be interesting see what I come home with.

I made good progress on the blackwork SAL last night if not quite as much as I hoped. I should be able to finish catching up on it tonight. The next piece is posted every Wednesday. I’m not sure I like the long awaited floss after all, but I’m using it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The isolation isn't just to protect the isolated person. It's to help us protect each other. Many people have no symptoms but can infect others. Those who do become sick can be infectious for days before they're symptomatic, spreading illness to everyone around them. Separating the herd protects the herd. And of course this disease is potentially lethal.

We don't like the idea of canceling our entire camping season, but it doesn't seem prudent for a lot of reasons to go anywhere, not only for our own health but for the safety of others we might infect.

We made sure we have lots of enjoyable pastimes to ward off negative feelings during these times. If it goes on a couple months, we will be able to be outside, which will help, especially being out on the lake. We're lucky, and we do realize it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bought a big bundle of toilet paper, but just one. We typically have a good supply of everything because we're so far from bulk shopping, so didn't have to buy much of any particular item. I bought for 2 months though, because it's obvious this mess isn't going to be over in a couple weeks. I'm hoping this virus follows the flu pattern and dies down with warmer weather, but that's an unknown at this point. There are outbreaks all over the southern hemisphere though, so I'm not optimistic.

Still need to stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - you could always park the camper by the lake and camp there - lol.

I had let supplies get lower than usual. I know better. If there is a summer lull it would allow everyone to stock up at a more reasonable pace - if they bothered. Kroger is worse than I expected. I just got s call from them that they are behind and I need to come at 5:00. The guy who called me sounded exhausted and hopeless. I suspect this is not just a rush of people stocking up, but a lot of people who would normally go in the store to shop opting to have it just loaded in their cars to avoid all the people. We’re also supposed to have thunderstorms and rain starting tomorrow through all of next week. I may come home with one small bag of groceries. Probably the pickles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since it is warm outside I worked in the yard about 2.5 hours. Now I'm out of leaf bags, but making good progress. Hubby got some branches down w/ pole saw that I was not successful with on Wednesday. I'm going to order the wood chips for delivery on 3/23 or after. Then most of the heavy work will be finished outside. Hire someone to power wash and re-stain decks.
    I need to start stripping wallpaper in main floor bathroom and see how bad that chore is going to be.
    Dog club meeting is basically canceled so the St Patrick's day dog bandannas either get stored for next year or I give them away at a NPS event on April 26 (B.A.R.K. Rangers day for those who are interested.) Annoyed about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just heard the governor closed schools until April 13. Now we’ll have people really in a panic trying to figure out what to with all the kids suddenly at home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've thought about Camp Driveway, but with the dogs it's a pain. Too bad, since I always sleep better in the camper than anywhere else. But we can grill, sit on the dock, ride our HydroBikes, sit around the portable gas firepit, and tinker in the greenhouse. We love where we live, so being here for an extended time won't be a hardship. We're going to try only going into town every 2 weeks or less. We would do that anyway if it wasn't for Mom.

Your primary election has been delayed till June, unless I heard wrong.

Got the moose all done and started the second tree. Hope I can get through it fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pickles are a necessity for the survival of the human race.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

6:15 and here I still sit at Kroger. Don’t come at 3, come at 5, they said. Ok. I finally got a loading bay spot around 5:30. My order was not ready. It was not even started. They don’t know why it wasn’t ready or started. They will get it to me as soon as they can. So it wasn’t filled over night or this morning, but after the locusts had already been through the shelves. There may not even be pickles, and who knows when I will get home. I’m very hungry and need a bathroom. I may never leave home again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

KathyB I love reading Dickens. You can read them all online or download from gutenberg.org These are the books that are out of copyright.
    "Bleak House" was my favorite, "Oliver Twist" is good. "Tale of Two Cities" not pleasurable. "Nicholas Nickelby" was enjoyable. I see there are plenty I have not read yet.
    "The Scarlet Pimpernel" was a lot of fun (not Dickens though). Light and entertaining.
    Reading a novel on the computer takes some getting used to but it's just probably like using a e-reader.
    I listen to audiobooks on MP3 player in bed, my library has them available for checkout like regular books. They are very popular and there are wait-lists.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finally drove out of the Kroger lot at 7:13 with little to show for it. Maybe 1/4 of what I ordered. No meat. No frozen veggies except corn and chopped peppers. Two pot pies. No bread or tortillas. No take it back. A hybrid whole wheat baguette. Produce did a little better. No potatoes or tomatoes, but six rather scrawny squash, baby carrots and carrot chips (instead of the shredded carrots I wanted for the squash), and some sort of weird looking dark red yams instead of normal sweet potatoes. A bigger bag of brown rice than I ordered, but no beans. I left canned stuff in the car but I got either spaghetti sauce or tomato soup, or both. I didn’t really look. I don’t know about a couple of cans of cream of chicken soup, no tuna, no noodles. Got ketchup, lots of cheese, and all the pickles. The slivered almonds and maybe the dried cranberries. Chips and, surprisingly, sandwich ham, though not the kind I really wanted. And the apples. I certainly won’t starve, but I’m glad I got what I did last week. This may be a good thing. I may finally be forced to eat the canned vegetables that I keep on hand, but avoid.

I’m home for a long time. Fed and ready to stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea for pickles! Sorry you didn't get the things you wanted. I wonder what the stores look like here now. Maybe things are worse in more populated areas. I sure feel sorry for the staffs at the stores. It seems like people are getting scared and nutty now.

MSNBC is now taking questions from viewers about the virus. They have a panel of experts to answer. Most are questions not usually covered, like how long the virus can live on various surfaces. They're doing this weekdays during the noon (CT) hour. I think they said weekends would be 3 CT or maybe ET. It's been interesting, lots of good info I haven't heard before.

Hope CH gets her internet back soon. It's hard to be without that.

Found some evaporated milk in the pantry. Gonna turn that into ice cream and make some Blizzards. One thing about not buying groceries for weeks, it should help clear out some excess food around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes my friend lives near a costco and said that it was nuts backed up the road for ages. my sister said her store was nuts too but I was there yesterday and it wasn't then. stopped at a small chain I was near and it wasn't busy. has a good butcher there and sales so wanted to look at the meat, got some plus ice cream sandwiches..and then since just happened to be by a factory that has a store for dd grad photo so got tortillas, bagels and naan for pizzas. only there cus in the area. they said don't go nuts because we have a good supply chain which is true ..stores are stocked up the next day and we have lots of stores. things have been cancelled any events over 250 people. so will see..also payday for lots of people. think people are going nuts buying tp because others are. spring break started today too.